The Vincent Lecavalier Thread-Part III: Philly loves dumb contracts (22.5/5, NMC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Don't equate most other NHL markets with Montreal. The level of scrutiny in Mtl is ridiculous, given a choice (and ignoring taxes and other issues), why would a player want to subject themselves to that when they can live a more normal life elsewhere?

Because if you bring a cup to montreal, you are golden for the rest for your natural life ( and likely thereafter). Had vinny completed the prodigal son narrative ( I know its unlikely the habs would have won a cup with him) it would have been the thing of legend.

How many people will remember vinny in Philly in 10 years ?

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site
Because if you bring a cup to montreal, you are golden for the rest for your natural life ( and likely thereafter). Had vinny completed the prodigal son narrative ( I know its unlikely the habs would have won a cup with him) it would have been the thing of legend.

I totally agree with that and said that exact thing to a friend of mine last week at the Hawks parade. But he's got a young family, already won a cup etc and I can totally understand him not wanting to buy into that bc it could just as easily (and more likely) turn south quickly. And that's why I'm not unhappy we didn't sign him and especially glad we didn't get sucked into overpaying. Doesn't have the character we need.

Price My Man Crush

Aug 27, 2011
Montréal
Quebecois players are all like: playing in Montreal is a childhood dream, I would like to play there one day, etc. The fact is that they don't really give a **** and there might be a good chance that Lecavalier never wanted to play here in the first place.

He just doesn't want to be rude and it's okay. I'm not sure people would like to see him say something like: "**** MONTREAL! **** THEIR FANS! **** SUBBAN! **** PRICE! ****** PROVINCE!"

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
I gotta wonder: for the general consensus that Vinny could get booed if he played bad in Montreal..............why choose Philly then? There, they don't seem to care about any factors whatsoever, if you suck there then Philadelphians will turn on you QUICK. This is a city that boos players before they've even played a game.

Hemlor

Jan 27, 2007

A little secret. Despite what the layers say in the media, they don't actually win for the fans. They win for them, and for their teammates. If you think VL ring he won in Tampa means any less because it wasn't won in Montreal, you would be wrong. Personally I can understand why a player would not want to play in a big market, especially if they are not a person that likes to be noticed, and bothered. Yes, when the team wins, the players are adored, but some people are not comfortable with any form of off-ice attention. I think fans need to understand that players are just 'regular' people, that happen to be extraordinary at a certain skill.

Saintpatrick*

Vinny has had a virtually pressure free career. I'm sure there was pressure in the playoffs but nothing like he would have experienced here and nothing like he'll be in for in Philly. He took the money and ran that's the bottom line here.

Go Habs Go

May 23, 2002
Mississauga
www.fanhome.com
A little secret. Despite what the layers say in the media, they don't actually win for the fans. They win for them, and for their teammates. If you think VL ring he won in Tampa means any less because it wasn't won in Montreal, you would be wrong. Personally I can understand why a player would not want to play in a big market, especially if they are not a person that likes to be noticed, and bothered. Yes, when the team wins, the players are adored, but some people are not comfortable with any form of off-ice attention. I think fans need to understand that players are just 'regular' people, that happen to be extraordinary at a certain skill.

Of course we understand that. I think people are disappointed in VL because he had a unique opportunity to become an icon. An opportunity that we wouldn't have given to a briere or desharnais because vl represented the prototypical "ideal" player. Home town, very big, 1st overall, leadership and immense skill (and some consider pretty good looking too). In some eyes, he's the french version of lindros. "Our" next one. Its disappointing when your hero rejects greatness (as we wouldve treated him like our past legends) because he can't handle the attention. Fans will forget but right now its just a bit disappointing when your hero is not what you hoped him to be. Is it VL's fault? Of course not, its his life. But for now, its just a bit hard to swallow.

vfactor

Dec 8, 2009
Montreal
Pressure. Only in hockey ?

Is it me or hockey players are only professional athletes who ran away from big market and 'pressure' for easy money the moment they have a choice ?

I don't follow closely enough NBA or NFL to compare but they don't seem to have this problem

I can say for sure European soccer is completely the opposite. Those athletes thrive for the biggest stage.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Of course we understand that. I think people are disappointed in VL because he had a unique opportunity to become an icon. An opportunity that we wouldn't have given to a briere or desharnais because vl represented the prototypical "ideal" player. Home town, very big, 1st overall, leadership and immense skill (and some consider pretty good looking too). In some eyes, he's the french version of lindros. "Our" next one. Its disappointing when your hero rejects greatness (as we wouldve treated him like our past legends) because he can't handle the attention. Fans will forget but right now its just a bit disappointing when your hero is not what you hoped him to be. Is it VL's fault? Of course not, its his life. But for now, its just a bit hard to swallow.

It's VL's fault. He took #4. He made the encouraging comments for years about playing for Montreal. People are mad in the end cuz it was all fake, he was just using the fans here and the hype for contract negotiating leverage.

He could have been honest from day 1 and said no to playing in Montreal, due to taxes/media and it would have been A LOT more acceptable and honourable than this song and dance act.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011

I'n not naieve to think they win for the fans, but i'm also not sure that players who simply play to get a paycheck would last long in the league.

If a person really " does not like to be noticed or bothered" then they have made a very strange decision to ply their trade in front of 15000 people on a nightly basis. Being a professional athlete means you are open to both praise and criticism. If you want to go to a market where they accept mediocre play and are not clamoring for improved on ice market, that's fine but expect these fans to forget your name when the next shiny baubble comes along.

Montreal is considered one of the best markets because of the level of scrutiny, it cuts both ways. You cant say you want to play for a premier organization in a hockey crazed city and then say that you expect to be exempt from criticism ( warranted or not).

Again I dont begrudge VL, if he thinks that philly is a better fit ( for whatever reason) that's his call.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I totally agree with that and said that exact thing to a friend of mine last week at the Hawks parade. But he's got a young family, already won a cup etc and I can totally understand him not wanting to buy into that bc it could just as easily (and more likely) turn south quickly. And that's why I'm not unhappy we didn't sign him and especially glad we didn't get sucked into overpaying. Doesn't have the character we need.

if david deharnais is protected from criticism based on his less than stellar play, vinny would have been extended the same courtesy X10.

I dont buy the notion that the fans would EVER turn on him. Right or not if his name was Vinny smith that could be a concern, but VL would have been given a very wide berth if thingd went south and likely a disproportionate amount of credit if things went well.

Go Habs Go

May 23, 2002
Mississauga
www.fanhome.com
if david deharnais is protected from criticism based on his less than stellar play, vinny would have been extended the same courtesy X10.

I dont buy the notion that the fans would EVER turn on him. Right or not if his name was Vinny smith that could be a concern, but VL would have been given a very wide berth if thingd went south and likely a disproportionate amount of credit if things went well.

I totally agree. The only way we turn on him is if he pulls a Gomez.

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007

I don't think Vinny would have faced much criticism, either. Everyone knows where he is now in his career and he would not be expected to be a star. That said, being adored and sheltered from criticism and having the media fawn over you can be a curse of its own.

Hemlor

Jan 27, 2007
I don't believe it is necessarily the criticism that he, or any players fear. It is the constant attention. For example, it would be difficult for VL to go out for dinner with his family without being harassed by autograph/photo seekers. Some people wouldn't mind this type of attention, but some really don't like this, at all. Some like their privacy and to be able to live their lives in relative anonymity. But this is only my opinion.

Jay Wolf

Jun 14, 2011
Regardless of which team a player cheers for as a child or where they grew up, everything changes as you approach your draft year. I'm not a pro hockey player nor am I any sort of expert on the subject, but it seems to me someone of VL's talent, chosen first overall at 18 years old, labeled the "Michael Jordan" of hockey by his new team changes as he becomes a man.

The CH has meant little to nothing to him for 15 years. Why would it? he's been the face of another franchise his entire adult life. Crosby also loved the Habs growing up, but I doubt he gives a second thought about one day playing in MTL. They aren't kids anymore!

I just wish Vinny would be honest about it. When asked, he should just say that The Habs were his childhood team, but a lot has changed since then. Is that so unforgivable?

dmanfish90

How about 76 for 25?
Jan 5, 2011
Newmarket, Ontario
CapGeek ‏@capgeek 3m

After the Vincent Lecavalier signing, the #Flyers are currently around $300K over next season's cap, including injured Chris Pronger.
Expand

So if they take LTIR for Pronger (which they will) they have about 5 million to sign a goalie. But their defense is not good.

Flyers gave him a NMC :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

What's scary is some of you guys probably wish Holmgren was Habs GM.

Ummmm no. Just no.

Ridiculous. Yeah, I'm sure a free agent looking for a place to play checks a team's HFBoards section first to see what the fans are talking about him like...

I think you're missing the point.

NewEraGM was pointing out the fact that we all go :scared: when we hear about Lecavalier at possibly signing with us. Look at the dubious amount of sub-topics that have been discussed on these threads (All 3 Parts); Quebec education, his wife's name, etc.

This is the point he was trying to make. Most of us go Joker crazy of the thought of having Lecavalier on our team. Making potential lineups is one thing, but talking like he's already here/discussing OT things is what throws us over the line.

We're no better than RDS putting Le Bleu, Blanc et Rouge jersey on him on their website.

I, nor NewEraGM, were actually implying that VL lurks these boards to see what Habs fans think. The media already does that for us (and doesn't give a totally accurate depiction of what we Habs fans want/expect out of him).

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
I don't believe it is necessarily the criticism that he, or any players fear. It is the constant attention. For example, it would be difficult for VL to go out for dinner with his family without being harassed by autograph/photo seekers. Some people wouldn't mind this type of attention, but some really don't like this, at all. Some like their privacy and to be able to live their lives in relative anonymity. But this is only my opinion.

that is overblown or these guys are going to the wrong restaurants. I used to work at a high end restaurant that a lot of Habs frequently ate at and nobody ever bugged them. Maybe once in a year a woman did and we chased her (politely) away from their table.

dmanfish90

How about 76 for 25?
Jan 5, 2011
Newmarket, Ontario
so as a professional hockey player you would rather play in a bandwagon market where no one cares if you or your teamates are dogging it ? That wins and losses really dont mean anything and there is no demand to increase the on ice product ?

I've said all along, it would be nice to have vinny don the CH but NOT at any cost. All I wanted was for MB to look at the plan going forward, see how much wiggle room he had and then make the best offer withing these confines to try and get VL. I think he pretty much did this. No one is obligated to play for the habs, and if they want to play elsewhere, so be it.

Montreal has not had a " french canadien face of the franchise" since, who ? Lafleur ? I dont understand what philly is going to do in net ( i doubt thomas will take a lowball offer, although if its the best chance he might do a one year deal to simply get eyes back on him for the olympics) or get rid of the logjam they have at center but that's their problem.

As long as we dont compound this dissapointment by signing Briere as some sort of very small consolation prize, I'm okay with it.

I'm saying if I was a professional hockey player...and person, I would understand why VL chooses not to come here. The media, the hype, the extra pressure. It can put a toll on a person. Not everyone can be PK Subban, and even he has had some bad publicity tossed at him over the years. I'm sure it's not all peaches in his mind about how he's perceived around the entire NHL and the media throughout.

Again, I guess there is more to things than hockey. So VL passed on us? Big deal. It will be his loss when we win a cup in 5 years and he could've been part of it (had he signed a 3 year deal, played well, and then re-signed for 2 more years).

Too bad, so sad. Can we all put this VL drama to rest?

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011

That's why there are VIP rooms in clubs and restaurants, its not like his culinary choices are going to break the bank. and let's be real, vinny isnt going to take his smoking hot wife and kids to a red lobster or a cage aux sports. If he's worried about being " recognized" I am sure that there are TONS of montreal restaurants that cater to the well heeled and do everything they can to keep up a wall ( real or virtual) to keep their clientele away from the unwashed masses. or he can hire a personal chef.

And if you dont like the attention, choosing to conduct your business in front of 15 000 people nightly, is probably not the greatest choice. Plus he lives in Qc in the off season, I suspect that he is as recognized without having to wear a scarlet CH and it doesnt seem to bother him ( or not sufficient to look at other places to spend his summers).

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Vinny is not "Ours". In an era of international rosters, there is no more room for tight little clans. There's something unhealthy, cloying, clingy & smothering about a fan base that pressures its local boys to live upstairs from Grandma.

29 other fan bases celebrate the very best talent from all around the planet. Time for Habs fans to stop paddling around the St-Lawrence river.

Gobo

Stop looking Gare
Jun 29, 2010
Vinny has had a virtually pressure free career. I'm sure there was pressure in the playoffs but nothing like he would have experienced here and nothing like he'll be in for in Philly. He took the money and ran that's the bottom line here.

If you guys offered 3/3, he's making 13.5M more than he would if he has signed with you guys. Just sayin

DenverHabsFan

Sep 9, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Guy gets offered less term and money than freaking DD and he gets blamed for signing elsewhere and then we have another thread about FAs not wanting to sign here. We lowball great players like PK and then overpay guys like DD, Gorges and Price. That's the real problem.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Guy gets offered less term and money than freaking DD and he gets blamed for signing elsewhere and then we have another thread about FAs not wanting to sign here. We lowball great players like PK and then overpay guys like DD, Gorges and Price. That's the real problem.

He's clearly a prima donna for not wanting to uproot his family for 3 years at 3mil a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad