The Vincent Lecavalier Thread - Part II: Bergevin's headache

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamingofdrouin*

What headache? I doubt it's bothering Bergevin at all. The only way I see the Habs signing Vinnie is if he approaches the team, tells them he wants to play in Montreal and is willing to take much less than he could get elsewhere.

In other words, don't held your breath.

But seriously, wouldn't you rather spend the money on Bryan Bickell, Clark McArthuer, Damien Brunner, or even Nathan Horton?

Bergevin is committed to investing in the future, not the past.

We don't have to break our commitment to the future by signing vinny to a reasonable deal...i agree that we shouldnt offer him the world...but if we can get him on a 4 year deal at a 4.5 cap hit and he wants to be here...why shouldn;t we let a big centre fill out that spot until gally and eller and others are fully developed.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
What headache? I doubt it's bothering Bergevin at all. The only way I see the Habs signing Vinnie is if he approaches the team, tells them he wants to play in Montreal and is willing to take much less than he could get elsewhere.

But seriously, wouldn't you rather spend the money on Bryan Bickell, Clark McArthuer, Damien Brunner, or even Nathan Horton?

You'd seriously rather sign Clark McArthur than Lecavalier?

Vinny is superior to everyone on your list.

AboveandBeyond

Jun 1, 2013
Hollows Edge

exactly what i was thinking . Much rather move forward with one of these UFA's then him

teh doors

ice hockey fan
Nov 15, 2010
This team can pay Kaberle 4.5 to sit in the box for a season. I think they've gotta pay this man what it takes to be a Hab. Time to come home Vinny the Habs need ya.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Could be....:laugh:

My point was just as far as letting Lecavalier feels he won't be alone in this market to get the spotlight. You bring in Brière, maybe a 1 or 2 more and you share the spotlight. That's all. Only a scenario IF it bothers him. Which I guess we will never know.

Yeah, I see your point.

But I think even the most casual fans understand that this is not 2004 anymore. MT or MB would be the first to say something along the lines of : 'We don't expect Vinny to be our first line center bla bla bla...'.

And Vinny himself seems to be pretty honest about his possible contribution, saying he wouldn't mind playing RW etc. He'd probably be the first to say: 'I've been slowed down by injuries, but I think I can still contribute even in limited role bla bla bla'. 'I don't expect to score 50 goals, but maybe I can help the young players bla bla bla...'

That should do it.

Tyrus

5 ft 7 in.
May 20, 2013
This team can pay Kaberle 4.5 to sit in the box for a season. I think they've gotta pay this man what it takes to be a Hab. Time to come home Vinny the Habs need ya.

Exactly why I don't understand the whole dilemma, some people don't even want to give him more than 4M/y.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I don't see him wanting to come here. I think the pressure will scare him off. Less than 7 hours after we found out he would be bought out, rds has pictures of him in a Habs uni, they start berating him with questions about whether he wants to play for Montreal.

I doubt he'll sign here. He knows people will expect him to be the saviour and I'm not sure he wants that to hang over his head if he signs here.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
If CP31 is the habs starting goalie, and he will be, than he will be the guy getting the most media attention, good or bad.

Actually, there hasn't been enough Price discussion as of late.

Price for a top 5 pick in the draft? and try to pick up one of the ufa's to play in net?

Habs Junkie

Feb 24, 2009
Montreal
I would love for Vinny to come here but let's be realistic. Who in their right mind would want to come to this ****hole? Doesn't he have kids in school too? You think his kids are going to be happy switching over to french school? No way!

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I would love for Vinny to come here but let's be realistic. Who in their right mind would want to come to this ****hole? Doesn't he have kids in school too? You think his kids are going to be happy switching over to french school? No way!

I'd be pretty surprised if his kids already didn't speak french.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
they probably do but as a 2nd language (learned in Florida), nothing compared to a full french speaking program that they would have to go through here

Good point, but I'm sure there are some private schools that have programs to help ease into it.

Dude's loaded, he'll find a way to keep his kids happy.

Getting them breathable air for the first time in their lives not being the least of which.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
I'd be pretty surprised if his kids already didn't speak french.

I'd be surprised if they were good in french. They have lived in the U.S. all their lives. I know for a fact that Ray Bourque and Mario Lemieux's kids can barely speak a few words in french, even if their parents are all from Quebec.

Even Patrick Roy's kids... they could speak french when they came back but couldn't write or read it.

Anyway, Lecavalier's kids would go to english school even in Montreal so it's not a problem.

HabsByTheBay

Dec 3, 2010
London

Have you been to Tampa? It sucks.

And if he wants his kids educated in English he can send them to private school, which is what he would have done in Florida anyway.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I'd be surprised if they were good in french. They have lived in the U.S. all their lives. I know for a fact that Ray Bourque and Mario Lemieux's kids can barely speak a few words in french.

Even Patrick Roy's kids... they could speak french when they came back but couldn't write or read it.

Anyway, Lecavalier's kids would go to english school even in Montreal so it's not a problem.

yeah, I was wondering about that. I'm not up to date on my education system loopholes.

Habs Junkie

Feb 24, 2009
Montreal
Good point, but I'm sure there are some private schools that have programs to help ease into it.

Dude's loaded, he'll find a way to keep his kids happy.

Getting them breathable air for the first time in their lives not being the least of which.

yeah you're right. The 35million$ he's about to get can buy his way around loi101, but I really don't think he wants to. I've spoken to quite a few people in the west island(my home town), who knew him personally or still know him, and everyone said the same thing: he hates the habs. Maybe his views have changed... I guess we will find out in a week

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc

I think there are a few English schools in MTL. Also, I would suspect they already speak French.

HabsByTheBay

Dec 3, 2010
London
I'd be surprised if they were good in french. They have lived in the U.S. all their lives. I know for a fact that Ray Bourque and Mario Lemieux's kids can barely speak a few words in french, even if their parents are all from Quebec.

That's actually kind of sad (FWIW, all four guys married Quebecoise women). I suppose for rich kids whose dads are Hall of Fame hockey players it's different, but you significantly improve your marketability and job prospects by knowing a second language. You do better in school too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad