The Vincent Lecavalier Thread - Part II: Bergevin's headache

Status
Not open for further replies.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Some teams might give him the opportunity to be "the guy", but I think he's passed that. I don't think he's capable anymore, and he probably realizes this too. Now the Catch 22 is the Habs would not need him to be the guy, but the media might proclaim him to be. This is the drawback.

Completely agree. As long as fans expectations of him are to be a valid contributor and not the savior (and leader to the Cup) then things will work out fine.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
I'll be shocked if he signs with the Habs. The supporting cast just isn't good enough for him to want to be here and win a cup. Not to mention the pressure he'll face as a Québécois first line center. He'll get an offer from Bergevin but I'll be very surprised if he accepts that offer.

habfaninvictoria

Nov 1, 2007
Victoria BC
I'm pretty positive that as soon as he bought out, teams can contact his agent to know if there's any interest.

July 5 is for those already under contract... their contracts don't expire until then. Vinny has no (or won't later today) contract, therefore should be outside UFA and RFA restrictions. Presumably someone who didn't play last year and had no contract could be signed today (not that anyone would).

Theosis

What do I put here?
Sponsor
Mar 11, 2009
Pointe-Claire, QC
Wonder how fast we'd get to a second thread if we actually signed him... :laugh:

"Confirmed with link: Lecavalier signs in Montreal!!!!! Part 2" within an hour or two. :laugh:

habfaninvictoria

Nov 1, 2007
Victoria BC
Some teams might give him the opportunity to be "the guy", but I think he's passed that. I don't think he's capable anymore, and he probably realizes this too. Now the Catch 22 is the Habs would not need him to be the guy, but the media might proclaim him to be. This is the drawback.

If Vinny goes to a team to be "the guy"... he won't be winning a Stanley cup any time soon. He's still got lots to give, but, his best chance is on team that has balanced scoring forcing teams to choose who they put their best defenders out against.... sound like any team we know.

I hope Vinny doesn't let his agent dictate this. If he wants a chance to be a true icon, he only has one choice. If he wants to return his family to their true home, he only has one choice. He already has his huge payday, financially he's set. If we offer fair market value he should be a hab.

If however he's only interested in cash, go somewhere else. We're the only logical destination, Detroit and Vancouver would be good too, but those places aren't home, and frankly I think we're closer to a cup. I doubt he wants to play for Torts... again... Detroit however.... they'll be the competition.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Are we really on part 2? :laugh: Is that a record?

Bergevin's headache and ours too....Vinnie better pick his team on July 5th so we could move on and wait for somebody else's gloves at the airport....;) Can't wait for my new name and avatar....

PricePkPatch*

Are we really on part 2? :laugh: Is that a record?

Bergevin's headache and ours too....Vinnie better pick his team on July 5th so we could move on and wait for somebody else's gloves at the airport....;) Can't wait for my new name and avatar....

Dude. Just check out the threads about Subban during January.

We passed through 4 threads in 24 hours

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
I hope Vinny doesn't let his agent dictate this.

True. The agent just wants his cut, so he's all crazy for 0.5M more and will convince the player that offer X is so much better than offer Y just because of that.

For his own good, I hope Vinny knows better (or his wife steps in :naughty:).

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Dude. Just check out the threads about Subban during January.

We passed through 4 threads in 24 hours

Yeah but this guy is not even a Hab. All things considered...it's way more a record than anything else REALLY Habs related....As of now, there is just a much a chance that Columbus gets Lecavalier than we do. There is not a slight proof that Lecavalier WANTS to play here unless you really believe his press conferences which you shouldn't as he's just politically correct. I don't remember a franco saying he wouldn't come here. The worst I heard was Patrice Bergeron, I think AFTER he was chosen by Boston, saying that he didn't mind not being picked by us, that the Nordiques were always his team anyway. Aside from that, no francos would ever be despise in their own city. So his remarks are not a proof he wants to be here. Somehow, you feel that Lecavalier wants to share the spotlight so here's an idea....

Do you guys want Lecavalier if, for some odd reasons, it means getting.....Brière too?

PricePkPatch*

Yeah but this guy is not even a Hab. All things considered...it's way more a record than anything else REALLY Habs related....As of now, there is just a much a chance that Columbus gets Lecavalier than we do. There is not a slight proof that Lecavalier WANTS to play here unless you really believe his press conferences which you shouldn't as he's just politically correct. I don't remember a franco saying he wouldn't come here. The worst I heard was Patrice Bergeron, I think AFTER he was chosen by Boston, saying that he didn't mind not being picked by us, that the Nordiques were always his team anyway. Aside from that, no francos would ever be despise in their own city. So his remarks are not a proof he wants to be here. Somehow, you feel that Lecavalier wants to share the spotlight so here's an idea....

Do you guys want Lecavalier if, for some odd reasons, it means getting.....Brière too?

Yes. It's not ideal, but it's worth it.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal

What?

I mean, you can build a decent Habs lineup with Lecavalier in it. But Briere? That'd be the worst possible fit.

OK, I'll bite:

1- A decent 4 years deals to attract Lecavalier.
2- Get Briere at league minimum for a year.
3- Triple shift Briere in the season opener. Like 38 min. of TOI
4- Briere suffers a season ending injury
5- I win?

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010

Since there's no place for Brière if Vinny comes, I'll assume Desharnais is traded and say, yes, it's alright.

A Bourque - Vinny - Brière exploitation line would look goooood.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
What?

I mean, you can build a decent Habs lineup with Lecavalier in it. But Briere? That'd be the worst possible fit.

OK, I'll bite:

1- A decent 4 years deals to attract Lecavalier.
2- Get Briere at league minimum for a year.
3- Triple shift Briere in the season opener. Like 38 min. of TOI
4- Briere suffers a season ending injury
5- I win?

Could be....:laugh:

My point was just as far as letting Lecavalier feels he won't be alone in this market to get the spotlight. You bring in Brière, maybe a 1 or 2 more and you share the spotlight. That's all. Only a scenario IF it bothers him. Which I guess we will never know.

greyboy67

Feb 11, 2004
What headache? I doubt it's bothering Bergevin at all. The only way I see the Habs signing Vinnie is if he approaches the team, tells them he wants to play in Montreal and is willing to take much less than he could get elsewhere.

In other words, don't held your breath.

But seriously, wouldn't you rather spend the money on Bryan Bickell, Clark McArthuer, Damien Brunner, or even Nathan Horton?

Bergevin is committed to investing in the future, not the past.

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
Memories of the sign Jagr threads . Pleks best buddy lol lol.

I was all over that thread, hoping we'd sign Jagr, just to see my dreams shattered by Erik Cole's signing, who gave us ONE very solid season, followed by post-lockout Cole.

One can only hope Vinnie receives a sound offer and that it is a dream of his to play for the Habs, though, personally, I highly doubt it.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
But on a more serious note. I agree that Lecavalier AND Briere is too much. Might as well get Ribeiro while we're at it. I know Francois Gagnon would ditch Pleky and Eller in no time for them, though. :laugh:

To me, it's not a matter of attracting the francos at all. I just feel that, at this stage, Vinny can fit with the team without hurting the progression of our young guns.

I said it and I repeat: Galch and Eller are nowhere near being ready for #1/2C. Especially with Eller coming back from a serious injury and Galch being one year away from not playing at all.

They may be ready in 2014/15, but to me that's a big IF. Let's make sure we have some options other than DD in the meantime.

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
What headache? I doubt it's bothering Bergevin at all. The only way I see the Habs signing Vinnie is if he approaches the team, tells them he wants to play in Montreal and is willing to take much less than he could get elsewhere.

In other words, don't held your breath.

But seriously, wouldn't you rather spend the money on Bryan Bickell, Clark McArthuer, Damien Brunner, or even Nathan Horton?

Bergevin is committed to investing in the future, not the past.

IMHO, Lecavalier is better than any of the said players (MacArthur is kind of random). He's far from being washed-up. Of course, he regressed. He's still something Montreal has missed and has been looking for more then a decade.

Investing for the future is also signing veterans that can lead this team going forward. You won't win with a team full of rookies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad