The Vancouver Media Thread | Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
It’s 2021 there should be recordings of this hate speech. Carter is a loser. Wouldn’t do media during Sedins finally week. Mental midget.

Reactions: Zanon and kevinsane

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Our media is such a tire fire.

The Canucks are clearly incredibly dysfunctional, and that starts at the top. But that doesn't mean there's a need for 50% of our media to act like bitter children.

Be critical of the team, report what's going on, but the interpersonal drama with other reporters etc is cringe.

I wouldn't say dysfunctional. The main problem with the Canucks (players) right now is in between their ears. Hockey is a mental game as well as a physical game. They lacked the mental toughness to work through adversity this season.

As for the media, it's a 50/50 thing. 50% of the NHL media are good solid reporters. 50% are shit pot stirrers who are in it for ratings/clicks.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It’s 2021 there should be recordings of this hate speech. Carter is a loser. Wouldn’t do media during Sedins finally week. Mental midget.

I don't think Carter is stupid. I think he's one of those guys who has a chip on his shoulder and who can't see his own biases and how his behaviour looks. See Russell, Dan.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Pretty obvious what Carter was trying to do there. "I didn't leave the Canucks because of money, I left because of the media".

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
I don't think Carter is stupid. I think he's one of those guys who has a chip on his shoulder and who can't see his own biases and how his behaviour looks. See Russell, Dan.
ya, Carter is smart as an ostrich. He overplayed his hand and believed he would score >30 goals without the twins.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
So Sekeres is spouting he’s doing this for Botch and Tony G?

f*** off.

We all miss Botch and hoped someone would take up his mantle. Sekeres sure as hell isn’t it.

He’s coming across as a bitter, whiny child with a grudge.

Basically sums up the shit show all around this team right now.

Reactions: Peen

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
So Sekeres is spouting he’s doing this for Botch and Tony G?

f*** off.

We all miss Botch and hoped someone would take up his mantle. Sekeres sure as hell isn’t it.

He’s coming across as a bitter, whiny child with a grudge.

Basically sums up the shit show all around this team right now.

That's really what he said as far as I understood it. He just said they won't hold back with information and justified criticism which basically means everyone else is sort censoring themselves out of fear to loose sponsorships or access to the team

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Pretty obvious what Carter was trying to do there. "I didn't leave the Canucks because of money, I left because of the media".

Ya our media wasn't helping him promote his music executive career.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
That's really what he said as far as I understood it. He just said they won't hold back with information and justified criticism which basically means everyone else is sort censoring themselves out of fear to loose sponsorships or access to the team

Nothing wrong with not holding back information. It's just wrong to make things up.

Reactions: Peen and geebaan

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
make things up :huh:

He said Hughes was on IV when he caught COVID. This has been categorically denied with ZERO corroboration from other members of the media. Even Bieksa called him out for being disgusting.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He said Hughes was on IV when he caught COVID. This has been categorically denied with ZERO corroboration from other members of the media. Even Bieksa called him out for being disgusting.

No member of the media *ever* is risking their career and credibility by just making things like this up. Some source will have reported this to them and they would have found that source to be credible.

One of two things happens in cases like this :

1) Media member gets a 'hot tip' on something and with the pressure to be first to a scoop rushes it to the public without fully verifying that it is correct.

2) The report actually is correct but isn't verifiable, and when the team puts up a denial it is just assumed that the media member was wrong and the story is successfully buried.

Sekeres seems to be the worst culprit on (1) in this media. I'm not convinced this recent case isn't a case of (2).

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
No member of the media *ever* is risking their career and credibility by just making things like this up. Some source will have reported this to them and they would have found that source to be credible.

One of two things happens in cases like this :

1) Media member gets a 'hot tip' on something and with the pressure to be first to a scoop rushes it to the public without fully verifying that it is correct.

2) The report actually is correct but isn't verifiable, and when the team puts up a denial it is just assumed that the media member was wrong and the story is successfully buried.

Sekeres seems to be the worst culprit on (1) in this media. I'm not convinced this recent case isn't a case of (2).
Are you talking about Hughes being on IV or the locker room situation?

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

Anson Carter still sour about not getting that big money contract 15 years ago.

i didn't see the whole game, but i think what he might be referring to is shorty saying to garrett, "i know he's not your favourite player but..." and then, as garrett tweets back, he goes on to talk about how incredible of a player he is.

as for carter being or not being smart, i don't know the dude. but i remember watching the world juniors in the mid-90s and what stood out, beyond him obviously being the only Black guy on the team (iirc mike grier was on team USA and was a mumbly mess), was how engaging and well-spoken he was in interviews, as opposed to every other guy on the team who all talked like benning. every draft, when they interview guys, you'll see twenty nervous zit-faced teenagers talking into their chins and going "uh umm duh," ten guys who don't speak much english, and one bright, confident guy like carter was.

i guess that's a sick burn by taylor, but imo he comes off just as petty as carter does.

Reactions: Lindgren

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
i didn't see the whole game, but i think what he might be referring to is shorty saying to garrett, "i know he's not your favourite player but..." and then, as garrett tweets back, he goes on to talk about how incredible of a player he is.

as for carter being or not being smart, i don't know the dude. but i remember watching the world juniors in the mid-90s and what stood out, beyond him obviously being the only Black guy on the team (iirc mike grier was on team USA and was a mumbly mess), was how engaging and well-spoken he was in interviews, as opposed to every other guy on the team who all talked like benning. every draft, when they interview guys, you'll see twenty nervous zit-faced teenagers talking into their chins and going "uh umm duh," ten guys who don't speak much english, and one bright, confident guy like carter was.

i guess that's a sick burn by taylor, but imo he comes off just as petty as carter does.
The one formerly known as Don Taylor is no more. He has been replaced by the meme “Wedding Jeans Guy”.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
To be fair, they do those IV vitamin C for Covid, and the monoclonal antibodies.

I would say there is a chance that they were using high dose vitamin C for all the players at that time, even if a player was only exposed and not confirmed positive.

So I wouldn’t be so quick to say he made it up.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
To be fair, they do those IV vitamin C for Covid, and the monoclonal antibodies.

I would say there is a chance that they were using high dose vitamin C for all the players at that time, even if a player was only exposed and not confirmed positive.

Covid is no joke. Wild first rounder Rossi missed virtually all of last season due to the after effects of Covid.
no shame if a player needs an IV to get better.

so, that’s why I don’t put any stock into Sekeras.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007

I believe it is vitamin D. Anyway, I hight doubt that players do not have daily high dose vitamin C, C19 or nor. Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant :popcorn:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad