The Vancouver Media Thread | Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
This is a ridiculous way of thinking about things, imagining that any situations where something is criticized must also be also worthy of praise or else you're being biased. This is actually not useful in terms of informing people! If something is bad and dumb, I want smart people to inform me of why that is the case or why that is not really the case.

"What's his record on being positive about this team that has overwhelmingly failed over the last decade" is just so shockingly baby-brained I cannot imagine it
Calling my post ridiculous is shit way to start a conversation. I guess you are right and my post is wrong and can only be interpreted the way you did…

No its not about that. He could have more insight then other people and therefore be able to inform people… but that list doesn’t show any extraordinary knowledge.

Anyone that had a negative take in the last 10 years would have been proven right 90 percent of the time with this team. Because the team has been 90 percent bad. Its the equivalent of padding stats against an emergency back up…

Now there has been some positive stuff. A shrewd mind would have hit on some of those. The best GMs are the best because they make decisions on what will work not only what won’t work… And some stuff has worked here but he has not hit on those… that would be more impressive. More above average.

So the best that list of stuff shows is… atleast Drance isn’t a team shill and can tell you what 90 percent of honest people on this board will tell you… not really learning much. So I guess you could listen for the entertainment. Or hate listen, because most of his listeners seem to hate listen.

On a side note at the start of the season Drance refused to play the game where they predict how many goals each player would score. Because it’s futile, and it is, but its also an entertaining guage about what they think will happen and he is the only media guy I have ever heard not want to do it.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Calling my post ridiculous is shit way to start a conversation. I guess you are right and my post is wrong and can only be interpreted the way you did…

No its not about that. He could have more insight then other people and therefore be able to inform people… but that list doesn’t show any extraordinary knowledge.

Anyone that had a negative take in the last 10 years would have been proven right 90 percent of the time with this team. Because the team has been 90 percent bad. Its the equivalent of padding stats against an emergency back up…

Now there has been some positive stuff. A shrewd mind would have hit on some of those. The best GMs are the best because they make decisions on what will work not only what won’t work… And some stuff has worked here but he has not hit on those… that would be more impressive. More above average.

So the best that list of stuff shows is… atleast Drance isn’t a team shill and can tell you what 90 percent of honest people on this board will tell you… not really learning much. So I guess you could listen for the entertainment. Or hate listen, because most of his listeners seem to hate listen.

On a side note at the start of the season Drance refused to play the game where they predict how many goals each player would score. Because it’s futile, and it is, but its also an entertaining guage about what they think will happen and he is the only media guy I have ever heard not want to do it.
Jason Botchford was way ahead of saying the way it really was.
Why is it that just about every major story involving the Vancouver Canucks gets broken by Rick Dhaliwal? Is he that 'connected' or are the rest of the media types in Vancouver just that much more apathetic or lazy?
Not everything.
Drance goes 2 far sometimes, But he is usually spot on with his takes.

1 - Screamed for JT Miller Trade
2 - Screamed for Boeser trade last few years, or just not qualifying him
3 - Ripped OEL Trade early
4 - Has been saying for years this team is not, and will never be good enough, due to our defense
5 - Said the crazy run by canucks last year was worst case scenario for this year (Mentioned that before this offseason)
6 - Screaming for Cap Dumps ages ago, and use cap to weaponize situations, like Marino which he brought up early

Theres so much more.

He is not perfect, But hes one of the few vocal media guys who saw the real problems and picture way before other media guys.

Just my two cents
I am surprised he is still allowed on Rogers Sportsnet at all in the NHL controlled media.
Drance like Gallagher and Botchford stuck to the truth as much as allowed. Team people didn't like educating the fans. They were some of the first to use false news.
Tell the people shat smell like roses enough and some will believe and the rest will shut up because the true believers are the fanatics and will drown them out.

The last thing teams want is the illusion of parity to disappear. To suggest there wasn't used to be rewarded with a tin hat.

Someone HAS to hold their feet to the fire. In Canada the media is much easier to manipulate than the states.

Dhaliwal isn't associated with Sportsnet but he tells everyone all the time he can't reveal sources. Agent will talk to him because others are not allowed to say anything.

It was like when Drance was on the in between periods thing and Murphy said, paraphrasing here "we aren't talking about this game, we have our script already" and absolutely nothing was said about the game or current issues. Drance had to go along or no payday. But he didn't let up on the obvious. I think Rutherford is honorably in allowing criticism. A lack of that honesty is partially what led this team into the absolute bottom of the league over the last 7 years without most fans even being aware they were that bad or kept on looking at the nice new shiny penny, Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes and the rock, Horvat.

Just look back and try to remember how many times media supported Benning, national media too.

Now guys like Shannon play on trying to make unhappy fans embarrassed by toting out ridiculous trade rumors or just opposing concepts from the plain message fans have given. Try to change the message to more of a win now approach. It isn't working. They keep trying but enough is enough.

There is one consistent message from most fans, rebuild, rebuild, rebuild, this is not good enough and there has been too much taking for granted the patience of the fans. (and money) These stooges should be bombarded with texts, tweets, tictocs, whatever social media is out there to reaffirm this markets fanbase desire, a rebuild and the willingness to put in the time for that to happen.

Some of these schills should look at how long and how bad this team has been before repeating some stupid remark.

That Drance holds this view and agrees with fans well were do you think he gets this? Any hockey savy person can see what is what. Can look up cap friendly and see contracts and clauses, can use a calculator, can READ.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
They have to get Garret off those after hours interviews.

I used to like him but now he defends bad play almost always.

Twice he has been refuted on After Hours, once by Rutherford and the other by Scott Oake last night "You now the assistant GM?"

Garrett's questions became "asked and answered" and very vanilla.

I have a new term to describe him, "apologist".

Reactions: m9

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
They have to get Garret off those after hours interviews.

I used to like him but now he defends bad play almost always.

Twice he has been refuted on After Hours, once by Rutherford and the other by Scott Oake last night "You now the assistant GM?"

Garrett's questions became "asked and answered" and very vanilla.

I have a new term to describe him, "apologist".

I agree he's not not a good fit for the GM/President interviews. I don't mind him with players.

Reactions: theguardianII

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
i know people love garrett on the broadcasts but i wish they'd bring in some new blood. garrett has almost nothing to contribute in terms of analysis or insight. he's just there to be 'the voice of the fan' or whatever but his schtick is so tired

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
i know people love garrett on the broadcasts but i wish they'd bring in some new blood. garrett has almost nothing to contribute in terms of analysis or insight. he's just there to be 'the voice of the fan' or whatever but his schtick is so tired
Garrett likes his paycheque.

The sad truth of it is that the Canucks aren't worth actually analyzing because we got two sub-replacement anchors on our back end and a pouty emo on our top line that are taking turns tanking games.

Frankly speaking, I'm getting really tired of watching Myers f*** up and then complaining about it.

It's not fun. It's irritating as f***. And I've been watching this idiot show since Luca Sbisa.

As has Garrett.

And it keeps playing and he has to keep talking about it because it's his job.

Garrett is a real treasure. Appreciate him while you still can.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
John and John are dynamite on the call.

By all means bring in someone else to do the after hours interviews though. Pick one from the stable of 650 personalities. (If you want it to be fun, pick either Halford or Brough.)

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

Have you heard the guys they've tried on the radio in recent years? Garrett is better than any of them. Totally fine with him in that role.

Diogenes92

Dec 13, 2014
North Vancouver
John and John are dynamite on the call.

By all means bring in someone else to do the after hours interviews though. Pick one from the stable of 650 personalities. (If you want it to be fun, pick either Halford or Brough.)
They're becoming more and more hard to listen to. Too much homeristic analysis for me to take them seriously imo.

Also, Drance has been one of the only voices that has kept me sane this season. One of the only members of media who has a true grasp of what this team is.

I'm surprised Rogers hasn't been pressured from a certain partner to silence him if I'm being honest.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Drance deserves kudos for expressing many of the common fans concerns.

IMO he is doing more to promote and keep fan interest than anything Canuck management or the product on the ice is.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Drance deserves kudos for expressing many of the common fans concerns.

IMO he is doing more to promote and keep fan interest than anything Canuck management or the product on the ice is.

Drance just doesn’t really have a ton of bias. Probably because he’s worked a lot in other markets. So have Halford and Brough. I find these guys far more objective than people who have been insulated and covering strictly the Vancouver market their entire career. They have a view on the actual NHL, not just the Canucks.

These guys just want to cover winning hockey, and aren’t running cover for players or management like some of the newbie SN650 hosts I won’t name.

I think it’s a pretty clear line between hockey media, and Canucks media, in this market.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
When Botchford emerged on the local scene, I thought he was an extremely irritating, pompous ass but somehow I came to appreciate his insights and his style. With Drance, I started off appreciating his insights and different approach but over time I find him to be increasingly pompous and irritating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad