The Vancouver Canucks: Great Moments in Time

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
Whenever he posts it, I'll add it here.

In the meantime - the US call was pretty solid.

That's the call in the NHL.com link I posted but minus the garbage gambling ad. However, the NHL.com version is longer and the colour guy notes how Petey actually knocked the puck down so Lindholm could get it.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
TNT went on to highlight after whether the puck was offside as there were Canucks clearly in zone and one of them was getting off the ice into the door à la the Sharks call the San Jose fans didn't understand.
But the linesman caught that McDavid? knocked it into his own zone (I think by accident as he was being checked) and made a great call on the spot pointing to who, what, and why.

update: nm. saw the replay again and that was the Di Giuseppi goal that is playing second fiddle to JT's last minute winner which also deserves great moments.

You can see the great Linesman call at 4 seconds and details at the 47 second shows that it was Draisaitl who shot it in. TNT highlighted exactly the same.

Two great plays - one from DiG and one from Linesman
Matt MacPherson #83
MM83.jpg

In the words from Jim Hughson, "Great Call MacPherson!"

Last edited:

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Here’s Batch’s calls from last night;

You have this guy who spent years paying his dues and training his craft in lower leagues, versus Singh who got his gig handed to him.

And yet, we have to hear Singh still on national TV.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
My ultimate memory was the first ever game I attended. Round 2 of the 1995 playoffs. I was 10 and my mom and I were sitting in the nose bleeds. Have hated Chicago since that series. Same with Chelios.

Even though we lost, the 2011 run was special. Burrows winning goal in game 7 against the Hawks. Bieksa against SJ

Reverend Mayhem

Tell me all your thoughts on God
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Going through some old Canuck vids, I am surprised to the discovery that when I began watching hockey, there were still some guys on the ice not wearing helmets (started watching in 2004). I mean, yea, they are officials, but still.

So, What is your most enjoyable Canucks season?

Been asking myself this since the season ended. The obvious ones like 82, 94, 11, should not count because there would be too many answers littered around. For me, and many others I imagine the good times in our own lives blend in to the results. Well, maybe minus this season for me.

1. 2011-12 - This team had so much going for it, everyone wanted our pound of flesh, we were a measuring stick for the first time since I had watched. This was still a great team, I think they were just too banged up and exhausted to carry on from January.
2. 2023-24 - In summation, a giant breath of fresh air after a decade of halitosis.
3. 2006-07 - Since I started watching, me and my friends would always say how we were a Luongo away from a Cup. Well, destiny intersected and we had zero...ZERO expectations. We were pegged as a lottery team. They say the games were boring, but I really didn't think so. Winning is fun.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Going through some old Canuck vids, I am surprised to the discovery that when I began watching hockey, there were still some guys on the ice not wearing helmets (started watching in 2004). I mean, yea, they are officials, but still.

Been asking myself this since the season ended. The obvious ones like 82, 94, 11, should not count because there would be too many answers littered around. For me, and many others I imagine the good times in our own lives blend in to the results. Well, maybe minus this season for me.

1. 2011-12 - This team had so much going for it, everyone wanted our pound of flesh, we were a measuring stick for the first time since I had watched. This was still a great team, I think they were just too banged up and exhausted to carry on from January.
2. 2023-24 - In summation, a giant breath of fresh air after a decade of halitosis.
3. 2006-07 - Since I started watching, me and my friends would always say how we were a Luongo away from a Cup. Well, destiny intersected and we had zero...ZERO expectations. We were pegged as a lottery team. They say the games were boring, but I really didn't think so. Winning is fun.

Good question.

1994 - the Cup Run, first one I got to witness. Just magic.
2000-2001 - first time back in the playoffs in 5 years. Naslund started to emerge as a star. The Canucks were starting to surge back.
2002-2003 - Peak WCE. Just damn Cloutier…
2009-2010 - Hank’s Hart / Art Ross Year. Just awesome.
2010-2011 - amazing season. Should have won the Cup.
2023-2024 - best season since 2011. Had so much fun this year and made great memories with my boys.

Reactions: Snatcher Demko

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

The rule was grandfathered in. The last guy to not wear a helmet was Craig MacTavish. He retired at the end of the 96-97 season.

Reverend Mayhem

Tell me all your thoughts on God
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
The rule was grandfathered in. The last guy to not wear a helmet was Craig MacTavish. He retired at the end of the 96-97 season.

Who was the last helmetless ref? Was it Magoo after all?

Good answers Mr C. I didn’t want you to include 94, but I’ll count it as special enough it breaks the ceiling. That team honestly just so lovable. My vibes right now are like 89-92 can’t decide, but I think something special is on the horizon, especially after the peak-OEL (lol) years.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Who was the last helmetless ref? Was it Magoo after all?

Good answers Mr C. I didn’t want you to include 94, but I’ll count it as special enough it breaks the ceiling. That team honestly just so lovable. My vibes right now are like 89-92 can’t decide, but I think something special is on the horizon, especially after the peak-OEL (lol) years.

Yeah, McGeough and Kerry Fraser were some the last as far as I remember. All refs had to wear helmets as of the 06-07 season.

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007

2008-2011 was like a mad fever dream compared to everything until this season for me.

A team on the rise, the rivalry being born with Chicago, the jump from 1st liners to MVP level players from the Sedins that no one expected, a management team that was ahead of the curve, and then the absolute domination until injuries caught up with them in the finals.

Nothing has really captured that magic since until this season for me. Going from die-hard, watching 82+ games every year and going to the arena 10+ times if I could, to refusing to watch in any capacity in protest to show my displeasure in any small way I could while Benning was in charge, was really tough.

Heck, my wife had no idea how much of a die-hard I am (we met in the middle of the Canucks dark ages) until I cracked a beer (which I'll very rarely do outside of social situations) the day the buffoon was fired and I explained to her the situation :laugh: Only this year in the playoffs did she see it in full display with the emotion & passion for the game I felt as a kid coming back to me.

It's strange & cool to see how much hockey weaves into your personal life when you love it so much. So many of my core memories are anchored around what happened with the team during specific eras.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
92-93 season was a beauty. Pavel Bure got one of his two 60 goal seasons as a Canuck, and was brilliant to watch. I swear Connor McDavid since is the only player to remind me of him.
Kirk McLean was a Vezina finalist and I thought got robbed by Roy. I thought it was Captain Kirk's that year.

I believe the Canucks were first in their division and were tops in the NHL. Such a exciting season where spoiled Canucks fans really got to see the Russian Rocket in full flight.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
My first year watching hockey, and really paying attention and becoming a Canucks fan was Linden's rookie year in 1988. He really gave the franchise a sense of optimism along with Pat Quinn.

It's been some lean times but you get some perspective over the years. Also now that I have kids, I have to rein it in somewhat. Maybe got a little too down in 2011. I was downtown for that and in 1994 though did not partake in any riot-esque activities.

My fondest 'watching' memory was probably 1994 when we watched Game 5 at the PNE coliseum as part of the viewing party. I was just a teenager. After the win everyone climbed over the glass and did the whole "we're not worthy!" bow to the logo at center ice. Then they let us out the Zamboni gate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad