The Vancouver Canucks: Great Moments in Time

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008

Class act by Iginla and the Flames here, respect. Probably one of the loudest nights at GM Place ever.

Seeing the twins with OEL and Richardson in the handshake lines gotta make you smile

Last edited:
Reactions: Chairman Maouth

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley

Class act by Iginla and the Flames here, respect. Probably one of the loudest nights at GM Place ever.

Seeing the twins with OEL and Richardson in the handshake lines gotta make you smile

My heart...

The Sedins, of course they were special and that was a special night. Those two guys took so much crap from the media and opposing players like Dave Bolland and they still always took the high road. It tears my heart out that they didn't bring home the cup. I just wish that just once, just f***ing once, one of them would have dummied Brad Marchand or Joe Thornton, just to show them that they may be gentlemen, but they have a limit to how much abuse they will take.

If Daniel would have knocked Marchand the f*** out when Marchand was punching him during the finals, what would that have done for his team's morale? I don't know, but I am certain it wouldn't have had a negative effect.

But Linden led my favourite Canucks team of all team in 1994. Yes, there was Bure and McClean, but Linden was the heart of that team and he dragged everyone right long with him to game 7. There was never any quit in any members of that team, but they al followed Linden's lead.

Last edited:
Reactions: DFAC

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I miss the WCE era. People were just happy we made the playoffs. And the car flags. So many car flags.

I swear, if we didn't have the most SOFTY PRONE GOALIE in history, we would have won the cup. I hated Cloutier to the point of madness.

I maintain to this day that Lidstrom broke Clutes. I remember the crowd chanting his name as he was a huge reason we got the 2-0 lead in that series. Then with a single shot... from 100 ft... never the same.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Bang on. He had PTSD or something. He'd let in a questionable one and it'd all come back and he'd lose it.

My friends used to use a quote I uttered during that area for years afterward in all sorts of situations, but it was about Cloutier when I said it:

“He’s always good right up until he sucks.”

But it was true - he’d start so well, and then there’d be one woofer and the wheels would come off.

If that team had a goaltender…man.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I maintain to this day that Lidstrom broke Clutes. I remember the crowd chanting his name as he was a huge reason we got the 2-0 lead in that series. Then with a single shot... from 100 ft... never the same.

Bang on. He had PTSD or something. He'd let in a questionable one and it'd all come back and he'd lose it.

I mean, it's not like Cloutier was ever good before that goal?

His previous 3 seasons, amongst goalies with 40+ GP:

1999-00 28th of 28 goalies in save %
2000-01 30th of 31 goalies in save %
2001-02 28th of 33 goalies in save %

The guy was a backup-level sieve his whole career who should never have been a starting NHL goalie, much less on a team that was a Cup contender.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
My friends used to use a quote I uttered during that area for years afterward in all sorts of situations, but it was about Cloutier when I said it:

“He’s always good right up until he sucks.”

But it was true - he’d start so well, and then there’d be one woofer and the wheels would come off.

If that team had a goaltender…man.

Could've describe it better. Know what makes it worse? Miikka Kiprusoff was available in the 02-03 season for a 2nd rounder.

But of course if we make that trade, we don't get Luongo and the next decade....well who knows. Could have gone well, could have been worse.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Could've describe it better. Know what makes it worse? Miikka Kiprusoff was available in the 02-03 season for a 2nd rounder.

But of course if we make that trade, we don't get Luongo and the next decade....well who knows. Could have gone well, could have been worse.

The real killer for me is that Nikolai Khabibulin was holding out and available via trade at the exact same time that Burke traded for Dan Cloutier because he thought Cloutier was a better option.

If they trade for Khabibulin instead of Cloutier, that team probably wins a Cup or at least reaches a Finals.

Brian Burke and goalies ... ugh.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Brian Burke sold his damn soul claiming Dan Cloutier was the answer. Also, he never got us a f***ing second line scorer.

Like, Trent Klatt!? The f***

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
I miss the WCE era. People were just happy we made the playoffs. And the car flags. So many car flags.

I swear, if we didn't have the most SOFTY PRONE GOALIE in history, we would have won the cup. I hated Cloutier to the point of madness.

I happen to think if Kirk McLean was our goalie between 2008 and 2012 that we would have a couple Stanley Cups by now.

I was working as a commercial diver up northeast of Port Hardy when the Canucks beat Toronto in 1994. It was the end of my 10 day shift and I stopped at nearly every pub between Port Hardy and Nanaimo to get updates on the game, with me finally getting radio reception south of Parksville. Then, I got on the ferry in Nanaimo and lost all radio reception. I got off the ferry, heard we had won, and as I passed Renfrew and Hastings, the Canucks flags were indeed flying. There was a crowd in the intersection carrying flags and cars carrying flags driving by. Thrilling. It was an amazing sight. I was carrying a big load of fresh dungeness crab with me in a big Coleman cooler and when I got home in Port Coquitlam my girlfriend showed her appreciation. It was the culmination of a fantastic day. Those days around the 1994 playoffs were some of the best of my life.

Last edited:

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
I happen to think if Kirk McLean was our goalie between 2008 and 2012 that we would have a couple Stanley Cups by now.

I was working as a commercial diver up northeast of Port Hardy when the Canucks beat Toronto in 1994. It was the end of my 10 day shift and I stopped at nearly every pub between Port Hardy and Nanaimo to get updates on the game, with me finally getting radio reception south of Parksville. Then, I got on the ferry in Nanaimo and lost all radio reception. I got off the ferry, heard we had won, and as I passed Renfrew and Hastings, the Canucks flags were indeed flying. There was a crowd in the intersection carrying flags and cars carrying flags driving by. Thrilling. It was an amazing sight. I was carrying a big load of fresh dungeness crab with me in a big Coleman cooler and when I got home in Port Coquitlam my girlfriend showed her appreciation. It was the culmination of a fantastic day. Those days around the 1994 playoffs were some of the best of my life.

I completely agree. The 93/94 Canucks run was magical. The most thrilling playoffs I've ever witnessed, where so many games were nail biters that went into OT and the Canucks usually came out ontop, everyone except the last :*(
So close where Nathan Lafayette was a post away from winning it.

Linden, McLean and Bure were spectacular all 4 rounds, while Adams and Courtnall were clutch too.

Simply amazing memories, unfortunately memories that broke my heart.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

"Run & Gun" style certainly was never boring (outside of losing to the Wing or the Avs in the post-season lol).

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC

Probably the highlight of my high school years, although the Canucks would get better later in the decade during my early adulthood years.

Game 7 against the Blues was the peak of the WCE era.

I wasn't much of a hockey or Canucks fan in 2003, but watching my little suburb glow as a community and everyone rooting for them really helped get me into it.

I remember that Minnesota series my neighbours were watching it in their garage with my parents while we kids ran around during intermissions. I went to this camp on one of the Gulf Islands during game 7, and heard they were up 2-0. We got sent to bed and then woke up and everyone was saying they blew it. I couldn't believe it. But all the parents were saying "classic Canucks".

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
I completely agree. The 93/94 Canucks run was magical. The most thrilling playoffs I've ever witnessed, where so many games were nail biters that went into OT and the Canucks usually came out ontop, everyone except the last :*(
So close where Nathan Lafayette was a post away from winning it.

Linden, McLean and Bure were spectacular all 4 rounds, while Adams and Courtnall were clutch too.

Simply amazing memories, unfortunately memories that broke my heart.

It was the greatest time to be a Canucks fan. Every single player gave every bit of effort they possibly could in order to bring home the cup. I was proud as hell before, during and after it was all over. The 2011 team left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. Not so with the 1994 team.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
It was the greatest time to be a Canucks fan. Every single player gave every bit of effort they possibly could in order to bring home the cup. I was proud as hell before, during and after it was all over. The 2011 team left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. Not so with the 1994 team.
I'm mainly glad we beat the Laffs in that post-season in the most memorable way.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

my memory is he was absolutely awesome to start the year in the fall after the lidstrom goal

after revisiting the game logs it looks like after a mediocre first month (3-4-3, 2.49 GAA, .903 SV%), he put up stellar numbers over the next six weeks: 13-3, 2.17, .920, player of the month in november.

the rest of the year, his record was still good because he was on a top team (17-9-4), but his averaging stats fell back to his usual mediocre self (2.52, .903).

but still, worth remembering that there was a time fairly close to when the calendar hit january when it looked like cloutier, not naslund or bertuzzi, was that team’s hart candidate.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
my memory is he was absolutely awesome to start the year in the fall after the lidstrom goal

after revisiting the game logs it looks like after a mediocre first month (3-4-3, 2.49 GAA, .903 SV%), he put up stellar numbers over the next six weeks: 13-3, 2.17, .920, player of the month in november.

the rest of the year, his record was still good because he was on a top team (17-9-4), but his averaging stats fell back to his usual mediocre self (2.52, .903).

but still, worth remembering that there was a time fairly close to when the calendar hit january when it looked like cloutier, not naslund or bertuzzi, was that team’s hart candidate.

I think he always was a normal goalie, in the regular season. He would have ups and downs, and be an average goalie for the time.

In the playoffs though, it just felt like there was those first two games against the wings... then every other season. He got the yips.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad