The Vancouver Canucks: Great Moments in Time

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
As a player, Lumme was one of the best defenders in franchise history. He was a good two-way guy who could join the attack and defend well. He had an interesting skating stride where he rode back on his heels more than most guys you see, but he got around the ice very well with it. He wasn't known for his toughness, but he didn't shy away from scrums or rough stuff either, and he always rose to the occasion in the post-season. He was an excellent Canuck.

As a human being, he's all class. I've had the privilege of working with him on a number of occasions. Settled in Vancouver with his family. I know when he was up here for an Alumni game his daughter was set to graduate and was talking about taking a gap year. He's very, very active with the Canucks Alumni and like most of their active members, lives in the Lower Mainland. He's terrific with kids and adults alike, and he's an absolute machine when it comes to partying all night - total life of the party with some excellent tales and some amazing dirty jokes.

Of all the NHL types I've rubbed shoulders with, he's probably my favorite. Seamlessly blends into whatever situation he is in and helps everyone there have a great time.

Awesome post.

To add to this, I think that Lumme's unusual skating style where he looked almost like he was sitting in a chair really put him in a great position to survey the ice and move the puck so well, as opposed to guys who charged forward head-down with tunnel vision.

Definitely not soft and actually sneaky-dirty at times in scrums and with his stick. His PIM totals when he went back to the Liiga after his NHL career ended are hilarious.

The signature 'Lumme play' in my memory is how he'd scoop the puck way up in the air when clearing his zone for forwards to skate on to - created havoc for opposing defenders to try and look up and track the puck with forwards bearing in on them and I've found it strange that no other player than I know if has ever done this regularly. Such a Sedin-type play. Larscheid loved it.

Favourite single play was an individual effort stickhandling in off the point to win a game in the last minute against Detroit in the 1991-92 season. One of the best games I've ever watched and one of the best endings.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Awesome post.

To add to this, I think that Lumme's unusual skating style where he looked almost like he was sitting in a chair really put him in a great position to survey the ice and move the puck so well, as opposed to guys who charged forward head-down with tunnel vision.

Definitely not soft and actually sneaky-dirty at times in scrums and with his stick. His PIM totals when he went back to the Liiga after his NHL career ended are hilarious.

The signature 'Lumme play' in my memory is how he'd scoop the puck way up in the air when clearing his zone for forwards to skate on to - created havoc for opposing defenders to try and look up and track the puck with forwards bearing in on them and I've found it strange that no other player than I know if has ever done this regularly. Such a Sedin-type play. Larscheid loved it.

Favourite single play was an individual effort stickhandling in off the point to win a game in the last minute against Detroit in the 1991-92 season. One of the best games I've ever watched and one of the best endings.
That's the goal I think of whenever Lumme is brought up. It was like a Bure goal in slow motion -- the play materializes, you think, "Is he actually going to pull this off?," he finishes off a couple of guys and scores.

My sense when Lumme was actually playing was that people thought he held something back because he made incredible plays once in a while, and never gave him credit for being as good as he was.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
That's the goal I think of whenever Lumme is brought up. It was like a Bure goal in slow motion -- the play materializes, you think, "Is he actually going to pull this off?," he finishes off a couple of guys and scores.

My sense when Lumme was actually playing was that people thought he held something back because he made incredible plays once in a while, and never gave him credit for being as good as he was.

That goal used to be on Youtube a bunch of years ago but I looked for it last night and it's gone. :(

Bure's empty netter after that can still be found, though.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
The Stralman vs Edler debates were classics (at least those two players were alot more comparable than Kesler vs Stajan).
I was watching back some old canucks footage and Edler was just a horse. I feel like, in the theoretical world of “if you simulated a guy’s career 100 times”, his 1000+ game career would not be in the top half of those simulations

feels like he could have been so much more if not for some of the injury problems and our downswing 2013 onwards.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I was watching back some old canucks footage and Edler was just a horse. I feel like, in the theoretical world of “if you simulated a guy’s career 100 times”, his 1000+ game career would not be in the top half of those simulations

feels like he could have been so much more if not for some of the injury problems and our downswing 2013 onwards.
I think his incredible development from playing into essentially a 'beer league' to NHLer gave unrealistic expectations on what he would turn into. Still turned into a pretty solid defenseman (granted some ups & downs as what happens to most players). Still think the refs/league somewhat neutered him with those bullshit suspensions. Guy was a true force in one LA playoff series (where he channeled Ohlund's power somehow).

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
What a solid draft year in retrospect. Even real gems in the 2nd round (hey, Loui Eriksson wasn't always dogshit. Took some real skill to eff-up that 1st round selection

i guess the sad part of looking back is, if you were a bottom ten team in 2003 with a second first rounder in the mid-first round, would you trade the second first rounder and your second for someone like filip hronek?

• Haha
Reactions: Hit the post

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Greeting Canucks fans!

Not sure if this is the right thread but I'll give it a shot.

Jyrki Lumme was on a Finnish Podcast this week and they were talking about his career and his best days in Vancouver.

I wanted to ask you guys, how do you remember Lumme from his time in Van? What did you think about him as a player and as a human being? Apparently, he still lives in Vancouver so he must've fallen in love with the city.

Anyway, thanks for your time!

Oh man, I wish someone had tagged me when this topic came up. Suffice it to say, I am a big fan of the guy, having more or less devoted my online persona to him.

I actually only ever met Lumme face to face once – getting an autograph after a game, really before my extreme fanship of him had developed – so there was nothing exceptional or unusual about that moment. But I have a family member with close ties to a number of the hockey broadcasters back in the day, who described Lumme as "the type of guy you just want to give a big hug to when you see him." I've never heard an ill word spoken about him, he just seems like the friendliest, most jovial fellow and it's kind of touching how much he's kept his ties to Vancouver even after a few other NHL stops and a return to playing in Finland. I remember my 1991 yearbook even noting he was a Seattle Seahawks season ticket holder who would commute down for games, which shows how seamlessly he fit into the local scene.

On the ice, the main reason I became such a fan is because he was somehow unheralded despite being good at everything. With that upright skating stride, he slowed the game down and carried the puck through the zone with ease around opponents; he had a famously straight stick-blade that allowed him to loft the puck high on the backhand and do the alley-oop move that @MS described above. He also had a surprisingly deadly wrist-shot that he would let loose when he got the opportunity between the faceoff circles, and he could beat goalies like a seasoned forward. He didn't have a booming slapshot, though -- he was no Sami Salo to be sure.

He put up really good offensive totals year after year, yet somehow barely got noticed in the rest of the league -- Tom Larscheid famously called him "the best kept secret outside of British Columbia" following the Detroit goal posted above. I thought it was the same play, but it may have been another, where Larscheid also exclaimed "And this guy isn't in the All-Star Game?!" right after some nice play that came on the heels of the release of the All-Star selections. Everyone remembers the Detroit goal, but the very next year in a game in St. Louis he pulled more or less the same move, and this time Larscheid shouted out "Remember Detroit??" without any context, but we knew exactly what he meant.

The knock on him was supposedly his defensive play. Honestly, I never saw it. His versatile stick and that straight blade made him much better at doing one thing that Canuck teams of the past famously struggled with: clearing the zone. He was always the most reliable guy for that. He wasn't a bruiser, but he wasn't a shrinking violet either and was pretty strong on the puck – I think it was Jim Robson who once noted that if Lumme were a forward, he'd be considered something of a power forward.

I think just by scoring points and being European, he had a lot of hockey guys making assumptions about defensive weaknesses. This was before analytics, of course, I could be way off, but that's how I remember it. It also doesn't help that he ended up under the microscope of Toronto at the very end of his NHL career when he would have been less effective.

I of course still proudly rock his jersey at games:

DRc4ir8W4AELnAE

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Game 1 Canucks @ Rangers 1994. Complete game. Canucks win in overtime.

This game, IMO, remains the finest goaltending performance by a Canuck in a single game in franchise history. McLean was absolutely under siege, and the Rangers basically had to modify their whole game plan for the rest of the series into “run the goalie”.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
This game, IMO, remains the finest goaltending performance by a Canuck in a single game in franchise history. McLean was absolutely under siege, and the Rangers basically had to modify their whole game plan for the rest of the series into “run the goalie”.

McLean was fantastic and was a big game goalie, but he also had the worst timing of any goalie in Canucks history. If he would have been goalie from 2008 to 2012 we might have a couple Stanley Cups.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad