The Utica Comets Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Actually a number of 'prospects' are ticketed for Utica this year, particularly if Jimbo is active in the UFA market this off-season for the big club.....Lind, Gadjovich, Palmu, Jasek, possibly Dahlen and Motte will be Utica-bound. And Brisebois, Chatfield and MacEwan starting their sophomore campaigns in the AHL, and still considered 'prospects'. And in goal everybody is expecting Demko to make the Canucks but still the possibility he returns to the Comets for at least part of the season.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Actually a number of 'prospects' are ticketed for Utica this year, particularly if Jimbo is active in the UFA market this off-season for the big club.....Lind, Gadjovich, Palmu, Jasek, possibly Dahlen and Motte will be Utica-bound. And Brisebois, Chatfield and MacEwan starting their sophomore campaigns in the AHL, and still considered 'prospects'. And in goal everybody is expecting Demko to make the Canucks but still the possibility he returns to the Comets for at least part of the season.

Nothing new here. Dahlen is the only if in the bunch. Benning will have to UFA Dahlen out of the picture at the moment since he is the other half of the Swedish Sedin new toy replacements.

At the moment Gadjovich and Lind could easily be 4th liners. Dahlen, Palmu, MacMaster, MacEwen, Jasek, Carcone are ahead of them. If Boucher is re-signed and Archibald manages to get re-signed, someone will be fighting to make the top 12. That's not even counting any more acquisitions at forward and there are zero centers signed at the moment. They will not take the ice with zero veteran forwards and of the first 8 I listed, 6 are rookies. That is a recipe for disaster in the AHL.

Reactions: go comets

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Why does this remind me of Brad Marchand?
Why does this remind me of Brad Marchand?

psychology in which humans defend themselves against their own unconscious impulses or qualities (both positive and negative) by denying their existence in themselves while attributingthem to others.[1] For example, a person who is habitually intolerant may constantly accuse other people of being intolerant. It incorporates blame shifting.Psychological projection - Wikipedia

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

2 years is really going out on a limb. He has reached the point where extensions should be coming 1 year at a time. He is a great leader, but if his game becomes a liability, as I already think Sifers has, that's not good.

I hope this means they are going to pass on Hamilton. Having them both, each with veteran status, would really hurt the effort to bring in 2 veteran D-men (much needed) and at least 2 veteran play making centers (3 years overdue). Sifers is already signed for this season giving the Comets 2 vets before even shaking the bushes. If signed, Boucher and Chaput,would be 2 more and Vancouver has done nothing in the way of cutting any vets which will likely happen with all of the new toys Benning has to play with.

Sifers can sit in the wings as an extra D-man. Carter is the team captain and sitting your captain in the wings due to the vet rule wouldn't sit well.

Thus, in my mind, signing Boucher (a no brainer) and Chaput already tightens the noose. The 2 d-men and 2 centers would put the Comets over the 6 vet limit by one and I'm not counting Sifers. If the two Comets mentioned here are re-signed it's already sending up a red flag on the centers the kids on the wings will desperately need and echo that for the D vets those kids on D still need in spite of what anyone has to say because they have Sautner, rehabbing McEneny, and 2-yr guys Brisebois and Chatfield. Those 4 guys are it for the Comets D and that's not AHL strong. If you add 2 slugs to fill out the top 6 this D-corps would be a disaster. There is no #1 in that mix by a long shot and the anchor rock solid mentor D-man is also missing from the mix. 4 more D (2 should be vets) have to be added if the vet number goes beyond 6 because Sifers will get the bleacher seat until injuries and call-ups makes room for him under the 6 vet rule.

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Many Comets fans were hoping the Comets would cut ties with both Bancks and Hamilton and replace them with more talented vets. That's a nope on one already.

I am only in on half of that wish. I like Carter and think there is a role for him to play. However where exactly is that if the following comes to fruition"

Dahlen X Boucher (RFA)
MacMaster/Chaput (RFA)/Jasek
Carcone/Motte/MacEwen
Palmu/Cassels (RFA)/Lind

Just one center, a #1 , would be okay, but that would leave no available call-ups. Not going to happen. Need that 2nd vet center desperately allowing Motte and Chaput to get the calls. Motte won't be a center in Vancouver and i think they have run their limit with Chaput. Benning better bring in some centers to Vancouver because the Comets don't have any for them. It also means he has to bring a couple into Utica as well.

Gaudette could start out in Utica and be the 1st call-up. 2 new centers in the lineup and Cassels is #5.

Gadjovich/Bancks/Laplante - All under contract. I'd send Laplante to the ZOO and Bancks and Gadjovich fight it out with the wingers above for game time.

Cull will rotate the wingers around for a while until the main bunch establish they belong in the lineup every night and the remainders will be subs or part of a couple man rotations in one position e.g. 4th line LW.

? LaBate (UFA)/D'Aoust (AHL contract unsigned)/Molino (RFA)/Hamilton (UFA)/Megna (UFA) - Roster wings last season that could easily be let go.

Woods/Darcy - PTO centers signed to AHL contracts. Expect them to not return.

That's how the better teams would do it, but Vancouver isn't that type of team with the luxury of starting guys like Gaudette and Dahlen on the farm because they have enough NHL talent on the roster that they can develop these guys properly and when they prove to be too good for the AHL, you pull them up. Benning's plan of competing means he automatically puts them on the NHL roster without proving they belong there first. His supporters will echo that philosophy. Thus, more players have to be found to fill out the Comets roster. Remember what I just said above. There are no centers down here that will be good stand-ins for Vancouver.

Also realize that Chaput and Boucher have not been signed and if you take them out of the picture and keep Dahlen and Gaudette in Vancouver, that group of forwards you have left will be eaten alive in the AHL without some experienced linemates. It makes Cassels the #1 center (can never happen) and Bancks the only veteran forward (he should be on the checking line).

Other players unsigned from last year:
Wiercioch (UFA)
Cederholm (RFA)
Stewart (RFA)
I believe Vancouver will release them all. Wiercioch will want a 1-way and I doubt they want to pay him another $650,000, but who knows.

The D right now under contract are:
McEneny
Sautner
Brisebois
Chatfield
Sifers - He will turn 36 during the season and was too slow last year. His position should be that of backup, not top 6.

If Vancouver leaves the Comets with Wiercioch as the #1 and Sifers as the veteran anchor D-man, they have no concern for bringing the new kids into a winning environment. They will be in the midst of several Chinese fire drills in their own end every night as the D wilts under heavy pressure from the opponent and there likely won't be a Demko to weather the storm.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Toronto's opponent in the AHL Calder Cup Finals has been decided. The Texas Stars defeated the Rockford IceHogs 2-1 on Monday to clinch the Western Conference in 6 games. The finals begin on Saturday in Toronto.

The Leafs have won 9 straight including the defeat of the Comets in the fifth game of their five game series. They then swept the Syracuse Crunch and the Lehigh Valley Phantoms to capture the the Eastern Conference. Toronto clinched last Friday (May, 25) and have been idle ever since. Texas now gets 4 days rest so both teams should come in well rested.

Texas coach Derek Laxdal is playing the media game to the hilt with this quips:

His club is "just some country boys from Texas coming wide eyed to a big hockey city for the Calder Cup final against Canada's team, the Toronto Marlies."

Laxdal is a former Maple Leaf tweener who got 51 games with the Leafs accumulating 15 points and 84 penalty minutes between 1984 and 1989. He quipped that he doesn't remember giving Auston Matthews permission to wear his #34.

He has repeatedly referred to his club as the "underdog".

"We're not fancy, we just get the job done. The Marlies are the 2019 Corvette, we're a 1966 Mustang. But give us a little spit and shine and we look pretty good."

"Play for the love of the game, not the pay cheque."

It took Texas 15 games to get here and Toronto 13. This one looks very interesting.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Many Comets fans were hoping the Comets would cut ties with both Bancks and Hamilton and replace them with more talented vets. That's a nope on one already.

I was hoping that Comets fans have something better to say about Bancks. I suppose he is seen as the leader on the Comets. Virtanen certainly spoke highly of Bancks.

Benning's plan of competing means he automatically puts them on the NHL roster without proving they belong there first. His supporters will echo that philosophy.

Once again you have no clue. If anything, under current management, guys who deserved to make the Canucks actually did make the Canucks' opening day roster. Name a player that clearly didn't deserve to make the Canucks that did?

Reactions: coldsteel79

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Bancks is a locker room leader and sets the work ethic example. PTO after PTO last season spoke of how welcoming the locker room is. Bancks is a key PK player as well. But this team needs Playmaking centers to develop all of the young forwards. Without them, this team will just end up being going in PTO centers like they were forced to do this past season. So they may as well go out and sign a couple guys one of which will need to be under in vet games. They will probably bring Cassels back, resign Chaput as well.....

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
I was hoping that Comets fans have something better to say about Bancks. I suppose he is seen as the leader on the Comets. Virtanen certainly spoke highly of Bancks.
I don't think it's a matter of Comets fans not liking Carter Bancks. It's a question of maximizing the limited number of AHL veteran players that are allowed to dress each game which is only 5. Carter Bancks and Wacey Hamilton are heart and soul 4th line grinders. Yes they are effective penalty killers and good dressing room guys but together they take up 40% of our veteran roster limit. Are there better veteran options available in free agency? That is the concern.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I see "Fan" is the first "echoing the philosophy" as I said would happen in my post. It is a philosophy I don't agree with and that's all right.

Never said a thing about a particular season. I spoke to a philosophy Benning has about getting his shiny new toys onto the big club as fast as possible. I don't believe it is a wise pattern to follow and neither do most successful NHL franchises. They start all but the blue chip, can't miss guys in the A until they develop their game to the point they are just too good for the AHL. Some even give those blue chippers a short stint first just to get their pro feet wet.

Last season Boeser was an example of the blue chip can't miss. No problemo.

In the past Virtanen, McCann, Hutton, and Stecher were not blue chip can't miss players who should have started in the AHL.

Now:
McCann plays for another franchise that immediately sent him to the minors after a quick look and publicly stated he was not ready for the NHL. He is just now starting to show his talent level. There also hasn't been any problems with his "attitude".

Jake played a full season in the NHL and showed to all but the blind believers that he wasn't ready. Then he proved it with a full season in the AHL where he still struggled. Now the hype is he will become a solid 3rd liner. Most franchises hope their #6OA becomes much more than a solid 3rd liner.

Many posters hailed Hutton as a budding star and now the clamor is to dump him at the draft for a 3rd round pick while "he still has some value".

Stecher is in much the same boat.

Both D-men are playing lesser roles on a team with a crap defense to begin with and not putting up any offense and getting beat in their own end on a nightly basis. They would not be in the top six on most NHL teams.

This throw the kid to the wolves and let him learn by the seat of his pants is the same idea as throwing the child out of the boat and saying sink or swim. Most non-swimmers have to be rescued before they drown. Horvat swam. Not so much with the others. I do not agree with this style of player development. Neither does Shanahan nor Yzerman who are proving very successful in developing kids. The NHL is not a development league. It's why the AHL exists. Benning uses his AHL affiliate to stash call-ups where they can play until needed and to hope against hope that his unsigned acquisitions might blossom.

My contention this season is that Dahlen, Gaudette, Lind, Gadjovich, Palmu, and even Juloevi should open the 2018-19 hockey season in the AHL. Vancouver isn't going anywhere. They need a couple more top picks. Bite the bullet and play the roster players they already have, sprinkle in the number of missing spots from the number of players we all know will be available at cut- down time and sign them to 1-yr contracts. There wouldn't have to be many as the Canucks already have almost enough guys if they were just to sign their RFA/UFAs: Virtanen, Granlund, Baertschi, Stecher, Pouliot, Dowd, and Archibald. If they are not happy with all of them replace those with the available free agents I just referred to. You could actually add Demko to the group of kids you assign to the farm. Marky and Nilsson are still under contract.

During the year any Comet who eats up the AHL gets promoted, but papered to Utica for the playoffs. This is after the Canucks are done with their playoff run. Check out who Toronto sent back. One of them leads the Marlies in playoff scoring.

Then next season the 1-yr guys expire. The kids on the farm have built a rapport with one another, maybe had some success (can't see why they wouldn't), and can now move onto the big club with a sense of confidence developed in playing in all the key situations and learned the pro game and the Travis's system. It's also possible some have played quite a few games in Vancouver due to injuries or TDL trades. They go back for the AHL playoffs and see what they can accomplish with what they started. It's certainly worked for Toronto as just one example and Tampa Bay's lineup was peppered with guys groomed on the farm in Syracuse is another.

Pettersson appears to be one of those blue chip can't miss types, but his physical development may be the determining factor here. What a shame it would be to lose this rising star to an injury that changes his whole future because somebody just couldn't wait long enough for him to be ready because of the tickets he will sell.

I know I'm just a dumb AHL fan who knows nothing about the purpose of a farm team and its relationship with the parent club. I'm just selfish and want these good players to play in Utica. It can't have any semblance of believing that player development is the most important purpose of the farm, but you have to have players there that can develop into NHL players. When you have players to develop, I believe you you do just that - develop them.

Thinking Chatfield, Carcone, Molino, D'Aoust, and MacEwen are the type of players you develop into NHL players down on the farm is absurd. Brisebois was the only Vancouver player that fits the role of a budding possible NHL player and he is as raw as they come. You might get a couple of these guys every year out of the entire AHL who become regular NHL players. That's why you take a chance on them, but when they don't make it it's not because the coach there doesn't know how to develop players. They were not good enough in the first place and everyone knew it , but hoped against hope they would turn out to be one of those found diamonds. They also are not the players you build an AHL roster around.

At the moment I would predict that D'Aoust and Molino are career fringe AHl players at best and Molino may be nothing more than ECHL material. Carcone and Chatfield are guys who can make a career in the AHL and maybe earn a call-up or two. MacEwen could become a bottom line NHLer, but those types are a dime a dozen available every year at NHL cut-down time and wander around the league and bounce up and down with each team's minor affiliate until they become only AHL players once again and then head to Europe and excel in those European leagues that so many hockey fans here hold in such high regards in comparison to the AHL where more than 87% of all NHL players have played some part of their hockey careers.

I hope to see every player in a Comets uniform wearing an Orca jersey. I also realize that won't come close to happening. Reality always brings dreams to a crashing halt.

Last edited:

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
My contention this season is that Dahlen, Gaudette, Lind, Gadjovich, Palmu, and even Juloevi should open the 2018-19 hockey season in the NHL. ...

I think there was a negative missing in that sentence.

The post itself, which I snipped except for that sentence, was imo really well thought out. There is a large segment of the media and on forums, including this one, that seem to think that a team isn't rebuilding if it isn't giving kids premium NHL minutes and that the best place to develop a young player is against the strongest opposition possible.

Willie D got lambasted for his comment that the NHL wasn't a development league. I agreed with him.

Young players can develop in lesser leagues, with the AHL being the main develop league for NHL players. Using the analogy of throwing an infant in the water to sink or swim, watching Virtanen and McCann have to be saved from drowning doesn't seem to change the viewpoint of those that believe playing top-6 (top-4 for d-men) minutes in the NHL is the best way to develop players and an indicator of whether the team is actually rebuilding.

I think the people with that view have it backwards. If an NHL team rushes it's prospects to the NHL and doesn't have much in the way of prospects developing in the AHL, it is an indication that building a team for the future is a lower priority than trying to compete and fill the seats right away.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Agree with most of that.

There's a big difference between saying a player should open the season in the ahl to get their feet wet, vs saying that players should spend two or three seasons "marinating" for which there is no evidence.

I don't think Petterson needs to play a minute in the ahl. He will be straight to the nhl. But even at that, if they give him 8 ahl games to get acclimated to North America it's not going to be some disaster.

Juolevi, gaudette, Dahlen should all be in the ahl. Absolutely.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I think there was a negative missing in that sentence.

The post itself, which I snipped except for that sentence, was imo really well thought out. There is a large segment of the media and on forums, including this one, that seem to think that a team isn't rebuilding if it isn't giving kids premium NHL minutes and that the best place to develop a young player is against the strongest opposition possible.

Willie D got lambasted for his comment that the NHL wasn't a development league. I agreed with him.

Young players can develop in lesser leagues, with the AHL being the main develop league for NHL players. Using the analogy of throwing an infant in the water to sink or swim, watching Virtanen and McCann have to be saved from drowning doesn't seem to change the viewpoint of those that believe playing top-6 (top-4 for d-men) minutes in the NHL is the best way to develop players and an indicator of whether the team is actually rebuilding.

I think the people with that view have it backwards. If an NHL team rushes it's prospects to the NHL and doesn't have much in the way of prospects developing in the AHL, it is an indication that building a team for the future is a lower priority than trying to compete and fill the seats right away.

Sorry you had to do this. You are absolutely in line with my thoughts. The "NHL" in that clip was a misprint. It should have read "AHL". I have since edited it to read such.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Agree with most of that.

There's a big difference between saying a player should open the season in the ahl to get their feet wet, vs saying that players should spend two or three seasons "marinating" for which there is no evidence.

I don't think Petterson needs to play a minute in the ahl. He will be straight to the nhl. But even at that, if they give him 8 ahl games to get acclimated to North America it's not going to be some disaster.

Juolevi, gaudette, Dahlen should all be in the ahl. Absolutely.

You will note I said Elias is one of those blue chip, can't miss players that go immediately into the NHL. My only reluctance to it is that maybe his body frame will dictate differently and if it does turn out to be such, keeping him there would be a great disservice to him and a potential injury away from ruining a very promising career. My only hope is that Travis is able to sway management's opinion if he deems it to be too soon for the reason I have stated. A lengthy sterling career is too much to waste by shoving him out there a year too early. The world won't end if it takes him another year to grow into the physical frame he needs.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
I guess the saving Grace will be Travis Green. I don't think Green is the type to put kids in an NHL lineup before they are ready....

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
But can he overrule management if they want certain people on the team whether ready or not in Green's eyes? Willie D had that problem. "The NHL is not a development league." WD

Doyle Hargraves

May 11, 2018
Hargraves believes Travis Green has the balls to stand up to management and tell them if a player isn’t ready for prime time. Willie Desjardins has no balls. He squats to pee, rocks a moustache and wears a Indian sweater

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I see "Fan" is the first "echoing the philosophy" as I said would happen in my post. It is a philosophy I don't agree with and that's all right.

Never said a thing about a particular season. I spoke to a philosophy Benning has about getting his shiny new toys onto the big club as fast as possible.

Uh... you're twisting my words to fit your narrative or just completely wrong. You said this:
Benning's plan of competing means he automatically puts them on the NHL roster without proving they belong there first. His supporters will echo that philosophy.

I said this:
If anything, under current management, guys who deserved to make the Canucks actually did make the Canucks' opening day roster. Name a player that clearly didn't deserve to make the Canucks that did?

Whether it's McCann or Stetcher, those two made the team based on their training camp and preseason performance. That's completely different from your assertion that Benning put them on the NHL roster without proving they belong there first. And just exactly how can they prove they belong there? With AHL performance? They made the team out of training camp. That's putting them on the roster based on merit.

I don't believe it is a wise pattern to follow and neither do most successful NHL franchises.

I don't necessarily disagree with you. I think the biggest consideration should be what is best for that player's development. If a prospect makes the team on merit, it shouldn't mean that you keep them on the roster or even allow them to make the NHL roster. On the other hand, there are merits to allowing guys legitimate chances to make the team rather than have a predetermined outcome. This management group has allowed guys to make the team based on camp and preseason performance, which is my point. Not your BS about Benning.

Reactions: timbermen

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Hargraves believes Travis Green has the balls to stand up to management and tell them if a player isn’t ready for prime time. Willie Desjardins has no balls. He squats to pee, rocks a moustache and wears a Indian sweater

Green had so much balls that he tried to force Boeser down to Utica despite leading the league in pre-season scoring. Still got his healthy scratches in.

Also what is an "Indian sweater"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad