The Utica Comets Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
No, I just know how to understand the thrust of an argument and don't need to pick out every minor detail to argue each hyperspecific individual point out of context argumentum ad absurdium.

Umm... the "thrust" of Bad Goalie's argument, as it pertains to McCann, is that McCann should have started his pro career in the AHL. How did you take this to mean that McCann should have been sent back to juniors after making the NHL roster on merit? If you are still in school, consider taking an English class.

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
Umm... the "thrust" of Bad Goalie's argument, as it pertains to McCann, is that McCann should have started his pro career in the AHL. How did you take this to mean that McCann should have been sent back to juniors after making the NHL roster on merit? If you are still in school, consider taking an English class.
McCann should have been sent back to juniors after before he hit 39 games, it was obvious he wasn't ready for the NHL. Playing him with Dorsett and Prust was stupid.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
McCann should have been sent back to juniors after before he hit 39 games, it was obvious he wasn't ready for the NHL. Playing him with Dorsett and Prust was stupid.
And this is Bgs argument. Just because some young kid plays outta his mind during training camp does not mean he is ready for NHL duty... It is up to management and coaching to have a grasp of the situation and put that player in a position for long term success for the players sake and the organization.
The problem with the Canucks is the fact that they obviously don't have a firm understanding of "NHL ready " players....

That is what separates winning and successful teams from what we have in the Canucks.......

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
And this is Bgs argument. Just because some young kid plays outta his mind during training camp does not mean he is ready for NHL duty... It is up to management and coaching to have a grasp of the situation and put that player in a position for long term success for the players sake and the organization.
The problem with the Canucks is the fact that they obviously don't have a firm understanding of "NHL ready " players....

That is what separates winning and successful teams from what we have in the Canucks.......

I hope it isn’t just lip service but this crazy regime has now started talking about sending nearly everyone they can to Utica this year. Still doesn’t solve your C problem but I could everyone not named Pettersson spending all or a lot of time in Utica. Or is that just me being hopeful....

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017

You're ignoring the fact that the Canucks had 9 regular season games to decide to send him back to juniors(he wasn't eligible to play for the Comets because he wes still 19).He played well in the first month earning himself a roster spot.It all worked out because the Canucks got a good regular D-man.It didn't hurt his development at all, he was ready to move past juniors but wasn't eligible for the AHL.

Reactions: F A N

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The worst thing about McCann's development in VanCity wasn't just that he spent the entire season in VanCity in and out of Willie's dog-pound. It was the fact that they released Virtanen to play in the World Junior Tournament, but not McCann....the claim at the time was that they had some injuries at center and that needed him, instead of just recalling someone from Utica....then they traded him at the end of the season anyway.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Do Roberto Luongo and Derek Dorsett still count against Vancouver's 50 contracted players or do they only count against the salary cap?

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Marlies and Texas tied at 1 win each in the Calder Cup Finals, Toronto finally lost one after 10 straight wins. Is this the popping of the bubble or the start of a real dog fight for the cup. I hope its the latter.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Do Roberto Luongo and Derek Dorsett still count against Vancouver's 50 contracted players or do they only count against the salary cap?
No for Luongo because he is under contract to Florida but Vancouver retained part of his salary in the trade. A cap hit for Vancouver but he counts against Florida's 50 player NHL roster limit.

Dorset I believe still counts against the 50 man NHL roster for another year but they will get cap relief when they move him back to LTIR after the season starts.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Cory Hergott has an article speculating about both the Canucks and the Comets line-ups to start the season. He doesn't predict trades, just guesses based on players now in the system. It seems like an interesting enough exercise.

CanucksArmy Quick Look Ahead: An Early Look at Forecasting the Utica Comets 2018/18 Roster

Definitely some holes in that lineup. but overall probably a better forward group to choose from over the past few seasons.

Needs, A PP Quarterback, a mean and ugly D man, and a solid playmaking center/ faceoff guy.

Reactions: lindgren

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Looks like the Marlies take game 3 of the finals 2-1, and now they lead the series by the same 2-1.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Blujus and Arseneau have signed AHL deals with the Comets.

Blujus, Arseneau get one-year deals with Comets

Neither of those players was on the Comets team that Hergott was projecting (see a couple of posts back), not that that's a big deal.

Does the Arseneau signing have implications for anyone else? Archibald?

If the Canucks don't sign Archibald by July 1st I suspect he'll test the UFA market....might be another team out there willing to give him a one-way deal. Would be great to bring back guys like Archibald, Chaput, Megna, Weircioch and Boucher for AHL/NHL depth, but probably not room for them.

Comets could be painfully young next year, but hopefully with their talent level they'll be able to adjust to the quicker pace in the AHL. Still question marks in goal if Demko sticks in VanCity.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
The good thing about Dylan Blujus is that his 196 GP in the pro game don't make him an AHL vet. He now gives the Comets 7 D-men under contract:

Blujus
Sautner
McEneny
Brisebois
Chatfield
Sifers (vet)
Jagger Dirk

There is not a #1 puck moving PP QB in the mix nor is there a veteran lock down defender. Without these guys this D-corps is in big trouble.

Dirk will most likely end up in Kalamazoo or be # last on the depth chart. There is no indicator that makes him a quality AHL defender.

Arseneau was a PTO and signed 2 such contracts. He is a depth forward, but offers more grit than any contract player on the roster. 2 points in 20 regular season games coupled with 49 PIM paints a simple picture of his game. I'd be okay with him as a depth player, but if he gets a regular roster spot, again the Comets are in trouble. He is not a vet either.

These kind of signings have their place, but it worries me that Benning will take this as reason for him not to worry about the centers and top level D both of whom are necessary to bring the kids along. If the past is an indicator nothing will be done until the big club drafts and then goes through their free agency searches. The Comets' missing links are the main task that an AHL GM (now Johnson) should be addressing as soon as possible. Benning has enough to deal with for the Canucks. Let Johnson work with Conacher, who knows the AHL talent pool, and get the key pieces on board.

Boucher and Chaput should be brought back. Letting a player who will challenge for the AHL scoring title go to another franchise is piss poor management when he is still an RFA. Chaput is also an RFA. He too needs to be signed. He is a fine #2 center for the Comets, but he is not the kind of play maker that counts as #1. Add the #1 and you have 2 top level centers. Now, maybe you can get by with Cassels and Darcy types at #3, but someone has to center the checking /D-first/shutdown line. That's not Cole or Cameron.

In the past they extended guys like Grenier and LaBate for God's sake.There is no excuse to let Chaput and Boucher go elsewhere and end up playing against the Comets.

A team leading point machine like O'Reilly (45pts/51GP, 61pts/76GP, and 19pts/23Playoff GP), mostly assists, needs to be the newly acquired center. The talented list of forwards will need these center types to bring their game up to the pro level. Gaudette would be excellent, but as the first call-up he wouldn't erase the need for that top center. There will be enough talent on the wings that all 3 of these guys would have players to put up points with. That's why I don't really like Cassels as the 3rd center.He just isn't talented enough offensively to feed the 3rd line talent who will be used to scoring goals. The potential list of forwards on this team could force Lind and Gadjovich to the 4th line. (Dahlen, Boucher, MacEwen, Jasek, MacMaster, Carcone, Palmu, Archibald?, Bancks?). See why I said Arseneau is okay for depth?

CENTERS!!!!! Vancouver, CENTERS!!!!!! P---L----E----E---E---A---S---E!

I really think Chatfield, Sautner, Brisebois, and Blujus are the only four D of the above 7 that can be counted on when the first puck drops. McEneny is recovering from a major knee injury/surgery that cost him an entire season. Counting on him right out of the gate is not good thinking. He will need time to get his game back and who knows how much his skating will be effected.

The group of 4 played last season with Wiercioch and Holm. Neither of these 2 vets was a defensive model for any of the kids moving forward. Both were reluctant to take the body and both were weak in front of the net. Neither was a puck moving D-man. The result was the kids had similar problems in their games.

Wiercioch put up points, but on the PP was very shaky bringing the puck up the ice and turned it over a lot for chances by the opponent. Holm was very good once the PP was set up, but also was not adept at bringing it in himself. The 4 above did have some PP time, but none showed the kind of flair that would say he was heir apparent to the #1 PP QB spot to one of them.

The Sanguinetti, Fedun, Robak type guy was missing last year and needs to be added to this year's team. Billins and Sifers weree not even close to what Kent Huskins brought to the Comets.

Chaput, Boucher, X center, X puck moving PP QB, anchor D-man would be the five game night Vets. Sifers is also a vet, but should be a depth D-man. If one of the 5 vets were be a VE like Boucher was last season, there would be room for another vet (Archi/Bancks).

The good AHL teams build their teams with the vets planned onto the roster and they don't bring in too many to screw up the roster on a nightly basis as was the case in Utica for the first 3rd of the last season when Cull was rotating vets in and out of the lineup every game. He had as many as 10 at one time.

Reactions: go comets

Doyle Hargraves

May 11, 2018
I think there’s a very good chance one of Granlund or Motte ends up in Utica.... maybe both. It’s not like Gaunce has a spot sewed up either.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
I think there’s a very good chance one of Granlund or Motte ends up in Utica.... maybe both. It’s not like Gaunce has a spot sewed up either.
Motte will very likely at least start the season in Utica. The Canucks managed the number of games that he played down the stretch to be one game short of needing waivers to be sent down at the start of the season next year. If he is called up and plays in a game He will require waivers to be sent down a second time but he can start the season in the AHL without worrying about clearing waivers.

Last edited:

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005

I'd predict Motte will start in the A, but not Granlund, but so much still depends on whether any moves get made. On the back end, Biega is a possibility, if the Canucks get out of the pre-season without injuries to the defence, and if they don't deal anyone, and if they want Juolevi in the line-up.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Motte will very likely at least start the season in Utica. The Canucks managed the number of games that he played down the stretch to be one game short of needing waivers to be sent down at the start of the season next year. If he is called up and plays in a game He will require waivers to be sent down a second time but he can start the season in the AHL without worrying about cleaning waivers.

Yeah, just did all that off the top of my head and forgot about Motte. He is a cog that can be very helpful. He has been an AHL center, but was a a wing in the NHL. He's still not the play making center the Comets need so badly. There could be some real competition to find yourself in the top 12 forwards if Vancouver sends down youth and keeps their vets. Aside from Pettersson, it would be a wise move to let the kids start and grow together. Doubt it though.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

Yeah, but you can't start piling up the vets in Utica like last season. Some serious thought needs to be put into assembling the Comets roster. They need to consider constructing a team and not just creating a dumping station for injury insurance.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
The Hershey Bears are also a team that adds good veterans and emphasizes winning. Developing and winning are not mutually exclusive philosophies in the AHL.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Texas battled back for a 3-2 win Thursday night and tied the Calder Cup Finals back up at 2. This one is going to be a dog fight.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Marlies swarm all over the Stars 6-2 to take a 3-2 lead in the Calder Cup finals.

After games 3, 4, and 5 in Texas, the series now switches back to Toronto for Game 6 on Tuesday. Game 7 would be played in Toronto on Thursday if necessary.

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
If the Canucks don't sign Archibald by July 1st I suspect he'll test the UFA market....might be another team out there willing to give him a one-way deal. Would be great to bring back guys like Archibald, Chaput, Megna, Weircioch and Boucher for AHL/NHL depth, but probably not room for them.

Comets could be painfully young next year, but hopefully with their talent level they'll be able to adjust to the quicker pace in the AHL. Still question marks in goal if Demko sticks in VanCity.

I am hoping that Archibald will be re-signed. Can see the Canucks giving him a 2 year contract.

I don't think the Comets would be "painfully young" next year except possibly up front, but I can't see the Canucks not having replacements for at Chaput and Megna if they aren't re-signed.

The Hershey Bears are also a team that adds good veterans and emphasizes winning. Developing and winning are not mutually exclusive philosophies in the AHL.

Didn't they have one of the worst records this year and their head coach just got fired? And a lot of times, those "number of players who played in AHL" stats are deceiving. As it stands, Bo Horvat and Stecher would be considered players who played for the Comets.

Anyways, I think current management does believe that veterans and a winning environment is important to player development, regardless of what you think of how their actions reflect this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad