The Utica Comets Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Comets drop a 4-3 game in a shootout. Comets dominated the game at times, including several grade A chances in OT. Couldn't pot the winner...

Impressed with Chatfield and Holm, both had solid games and will be welcomed additions.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I guess I rambled into something unrelated to a post game report as this goes on but it's all related. Stop reading if it gets to be too much for you. LOL

11/1/17
Rochester Americans at Utica Comets

Rochester 4 Utica 3 (SO)

SOG: 1 2 3 OT
Comets 17 17 10 3 = 47
Amerks 11 11 8 2 = 32

PP:
Comets - 1/6
Amerks - 2/6

Forwards:
Goldobin/Chaput/Boucher
Bancks/Gaunce/MacEwen
D'Aoust/Hamilton/Archibald
Woods/Cassels/LaBate

D-pairs:
Holm/Subban
Sautner/Chatfield
McEneny/Sifers

Goal - Demko

Scratches:
Darcy
Carcone
Molino
Laplante
Brisebois

Chaput (2) from Archibald (2) and Boucher (7) PP
Archibald (2) from McEneny (4) and D'Aoust (2)
D'Aoust (2) from Hamilton (3) and Archibald (3)

3 Stars:
1 Archibald (Utica) 1G/2A
2 D'Aust (Utica) 1G/1A
3 C.J. Smith (Rochester) 2A

Attendance was 3,917 and seating capacity for hockey is 3860. It was stated to be a sellout days ago. I assume the seating capacity is how that's determined. I don't have any idea how the luxury boxes are counted into the sellout numbers. We know the executive boxes (5) are all sold and they seat 100
There is a 50 seat fan rental box (Zuhaus), the stage has special seating, and there is window seating in Zetlin's Lounge, a members only bar.

The first Amerk goal and the first of the game should never have happened. Three different Comets had the puck on their sticks in their zone and all 3 gave the puck to an Amerk. Terrible goal.

Demko played well, but he seemed to overplay the first 2 goals. The 3rd he had no chance on. Moses was all alone in front of the net, hand shaking distance from the crease. Cassels was behind him but never made any effort to move him or tie him up and the pass was on his tape and in the net before Thatcher could react.

Goldobin had the game on his stick in OT. He walked in from the left just inside the blue line all the way to the net and went high glove side and Ullmark stopped it. Goldy was distraught arriving at the bench. He knew it was the game and he had it. His shootout chance was not very good.

Archibald rose to the fan base expectations with his 3-point night and he was active throughout the game. He had a couple of patented Archi drives to the net ( they earned him the title of OT Archi from much of the fan base last season) during the OT but was stopped.

Boucher was too shoot first and ask questions later on a couple rushes when a pass would have been the better option.

Subban is pressing. He's lost his first PP QB spot to Holm and he nor I seem to know if that's the right move. He had his troubles with the puck up ice and that's not vintage Jordan. He has to fire his own *** up or his chances of even being in the Vancouver system after this season are dwindling. It looks as if Cull has even less confidence in him than Green did. Travis gave him a lot more leeway than Cull appears to be. He's always started out slow and then caught fire. We'll see.

Sautner is treading water. He makes some good plays, but he is weak as Hell when pressured and loses the puck often in those situations. He's been consistently paired with Chatfield and as a 3rd year pro you would expect him to be carrying an undrafted rookie like Chatfield, but it almost looks like the opposite on many shifts. Jalen is playing well.

D'Aoust is not strong on the puck, but he knows where the net is and tries to direct the puck there as often as possible. I rate him Carcone, Laplante, and currently MacEwen as the team's bottom forwards, but he has a little more jump and a little more skill than the other 3 thus far. Mac has not played a lot since a preseason injury, so I'll give him a little slack. Carcone should have blown right past these guys based on all the hype I continue to read on him from posters on this site visiting from Vancouver. He hasn't shown anything beyond bottom 6 to me and often has looked more like a candidate to join Kalamazoo then a rising AHL star.

Cassels fits right in with the 4 above, but gets his own space because he is a 3rd year pro. As a center he is virtually worthless. He can't make a pass to save his *** and centers are what the Comets are in desperate need of. Gaunce is going to be returning to the Canucks soon and that will mean Megna will join Rodin already returned to further jam up the veteran mess down here. The Comets can't form any kind of line chemistry if Cull is going to keep rotating 2 or 3 forwards in and and out of the lineup every game and then rearranging the non vets according to which vets he's going to play. Edler is due back in around a week and that could bring Wiercioch back, but it doesn't have to since Edler would be the 8th D-man and Gaunce would make 13 forwards and the Canucks would be at max with a 21 man roster.

Goldobin/Chaput/Boucher are a level above the rest of the Comets as a line, but their defensive woes get caused by their offensive too cute blunders. You have to wonder what these two could do with a quality NHL center between them.

LaBate is just banging and crashing and not showing much in the way of an offensive skill set. If this is Joe, then he better learn to make the best of it and score some goals when given the chance. You'll read a little bit more on him down the is post.

Holm is good, not flashy good, just good. He needs to find people around his crease better, but I hope coaching gets the ABCs of this across to him.

I still think Benning is up to something as the Canucks have been operating with less than a 21 man roster for a while now and they continue returning called-up Comets who maxed the roster out. Returning Rodin leaves the Canucks with Megna as the only spare forward and Wiercioch as the only spare D-man. Rodin and Chaput didn't get a sniff of ice time in their stays and Megna got a little over 5 minutes in one game so far.

It'a too bad that Gaunce will be leaving soon. Cull hasn't exactly inserted him into a situation to be what he could be for the Comets. He's been on the wing as well as in the middle and his line mates have been all over the map. First night he was on the wing with Chaput and Rodin, contrast that with night 2 on the wing with Hamilton and Bancks. Last night he appeared to be in the middle with Bancks and MacEwen, but since all 3 are at times centers, they just kept weaving back and forth taking each others spots from LW to C to RW. If he goes back to Vancouver and becomes the 13th forward while Gagner and Burmistrov remain in the lineup every game, he should be waived and just stay here. Is there actually an NHL team that is ready to put him onto their roster?

Of all the centers that have played in Utica this season only Chaput fits the role. Hamilton is just fine as a 4th line center but with the vet crisis, he should be sitting in the wings until call-ups and/or injuries create a need to pencil him in. There are better vets in the 9 than him. Last night was just such a situation. The 3 guys called to Vancouver were all vets and that allowed for all 6 vets in Utica to dress at game time. Rodin has been sent back and should be a forward choice over Hamilton. That would still allow for Sifers who played a strong defensive game last night to card in.

Benning may think he's doing Utica a favor of keeping as many of the vets as possible there, but it doesn't serve those players well at all, because there are so many vets there, that sitting in the stands occurs in both locations. In fact with the 3 vets in Vancouver Utica didn't have to sit a vet last night for the first time all season.

Selfishly , I'd rather see Rodin here in the lineup than sitting in the press box in Vancouver. He gives Utica's forward group a huge boost. With the Chaput line speaking for itself and Archi seeming to come on, adding Rodin to the mix gives the Comets 3 dangerous lines. That's if Cull stops rotating Archi in order to play Hamilton and Bancks so much. Megna has been worthless down here thus far. Boucher is the VE and has to play. Chaput, Archi, and Rodin should always be in the lineup. With Goldobin and Boucher they comprise 5 very strong forwards. With D'Aoust and LaBate as the best remaining forwards, slide in two more centers and you have 3 pretty darn good lines.

The problem is the centers are missing. Cassels has shown in 2 games he is no different than the Cassels we have seen in the previous 2 seasons. Hamilton just cannot perform as play maker. Bancks will knock himself out and give you everything he's got, but he's much better out on a wing. Woods is what he is, a grinding, physical, mix it up, bottom line forward. Darcy is better than Cassels and Hamilton as a play maker but he is several steps below the guys he has to work with.

Time for some kind of movement at the AHL level. In 2013-14 they picked up Cal O'Reilly a month or more into the season for the price of a contract. In 2014-15 they got Will Acton for Kellan Lain, who was terrible. Two guys of their quality would fix this. It's possible, but someone has to do the leg work, GM JOHNSON was assigned that role. Time for him to earn his keep. The Comets have guys who could be dealt, Bancks and Hamilton at the top of the list. Subban doesn't seem to enthrall Benning so use him to get a center. I'm sure there has to be an AHL team that can use an AHL All-Star quality, 36 point, puck rushing D-man. Cull isn't using him in that capacity. Throw in a Sautner, Stewart, or Moynihan in any deal you can get if that seals the deal.

JUST DO SOMETHING.

This team has tons of promise, but it won't ever come to fruition without at least ONE more center. JC see what the Wild would ask for O'Reilly. It's not like an NHL career is ever going to be in his future at this point in his career. Find out what it might take to get Jeffrey to leave Europe. There are a lot of guys over there who could help out. It's crazy to say, but even over the hill Pelletier would be better than anyone other than Chaput right now.

What would it have taken to get Curtis Valk to hang around? How about one of Benning's precious guarded ELCs that he has handed out to never going to bes like Stewart and Laplante just to mention 2 of many more. Valk has 8 points in 10 games with AHL Springfield right now. Could certainly use him now. Florida extended him one of those ELCs. Do you think they ever expect him to be an NHL player? No, but their farm could use him so they signed him to a one-year ELC. Would that have been so difficult? He was Utica's 2nd leading scorer last season while on an AHL deal. Would have been a nice reward for services rendered and he would have jumped all over it. He wouldn't have been a vet either. Put him back between Archi and add Rodin and you have a very decent line that will put up points and can play both ends of the rink. Add them to Goldobin/Chaput/Boucher and things are shaping up. Now you have Megna, Carcone, LaBate, D'Aoust, Molino, MacEwen, Woods, Hamilton and Bancks to piece together a strong third line and seriously good 4th checking line with Bancks, Hamilton, and LaBate. Joe's never going to be more than a bottom 6 in Vancouver either and you can tell by where he has finally ended up this season that Cull has seen that as well. In the last 3 games he has been with some combination of Cassels, Woods, Carcone and D'Aoust. This group still would still have 8 vets on the roster. Wiercicoh's return throws it all back into a mess once again with 9 vets.

So in conclusion as I have already stated it's time to do something with all of these vets. The farm is not the place to press box your extra vets until you need them. It is a place to PLAY them
until they are needed. A surplus such as this needs to be brought under control. JB should have known what he was creating when he signed his UFA vets before the season began. If he did such, because he thought his kids, Boeser and Virtanen, would be assigned to Utica, he should have done it. If he was going to give them a shot to make the big club you don't load up on vets. If he was truly rebuilding, he signed too many. Goldobin, Rodin, and Boucher, should have been Canucks at the start and Vanek, Gagner, and Burmistrov should have signed elsewhere. The Canucks should be taking their lumps with kids and adding even more to the scene next season. Instead he has embarked on two different approaches simultaneously and in the end it's not going to work out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6oeser

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I mentioned it in my recap, but Rodin has been reassigned to the Comets. Canucks fans clamoring for him to be in the lineup in their post game chatter after last night's loss to the NJ Devils. That's not going to happen right away.

I am looking forward to seeing him again this Friday. He was so good last season, but the knee work he had done is not exactly an instant return to the form of old. Cull's job is to get him mucho ice team to bring it back. Scratches won't do it. His treatment of the vets has to become more fixed.

- Boucher as the VE makes him a no-brainer.
- Chaput has to be out there on either the first or second line. Can't rotate the team's only play making center.
- Rodin has to be in the top 6 every night. (I hope you heard that Cull.)
- Archi should be there as well.

Archi and Rodin are perfect on opposite wings and Chaput between them is not a bad idea. Goldobin and Boucher can function better with a workhorse, but not classy center like Bancks than any other wing duo on the team. They have enough skills to compensate.

This alignment uses up 5 of the vet spots. Right now that leaves Sifers and Hamilton still available. Work it out Coach, but the scratch only comes from these 2. If we get another back such as Megna in exchange for Gaunce down the road pretty soon, the scratches are 2 of those 3. No one gets his game down playing sporadically or with different mates every game. If a trade is necessary to right this mess, then get one done, but by all means don't trade the good ones to make room for the lesser talents.

Too much cute stuff on the PP last night. The skill level of the first group can sometimes lead to the look for the perfect shot rather than taking the shot that's there and then doing damage on the rebounds or the confusion that arises from loose pucks.

The Devils may be in Binghamton now, but they are the same team and will be tough to defeat.

Both teams have 9 points and sit 2,3 in the Division. Devils 4-2-1-0 and the Comets 4-3-0-1. So each have 4 wins and have both lost one in extra time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Norade

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Feel like I'm writing in a diary instead of an internet blog . All of those fans that were going to follow the Comets have gone back to the 'Nucks and their ****** coach. I guess Boeser and Virtanen are enough to whet their appetites for the kids. They are the reason those fans were going to follow the Comets anyways. I guess that's really the right thinking since Demko is the only top shelf "kid" left. Goldy and Boucher are youngins who should be up there anyways so they are past the wow factor of a kid. Rodin has lost his luster among many Vancouver followers even though he is still on the burner, low as the flame may be burning. Brisebois, MacEwen, D'Aoust, Chatfield, Molino, and Carcone are not in the same classification and are a long ways from Vancouver yet anyways, if ever. McEney is the sleeper.

The Comets season is well under way and I thought it would be a good time to look at where last year's Comets have surfaced.

Curtis Valk - Received a 1-yr ELC from the Florida Panthers. Playing for AHL Springfield and has 8pts/10GP. Could use that center help in good old Utica. He would have come for a cheap price seeing what it cost Florida. a long ways from vet status as well.

Alex Grenier - 1-yr 2-way with the Florida Panthers. Playing for AHL Springfield and has 7pts/10GP.

Cody Kunyk - SaiPa (Liiga) 8pts/15GP

Mike Zalewski - Straubing Tiger (DEL) 11pts/18GP

Colby Robak - AHL Stockton 1pt/8GP

Pascal Pelletier - GC Kushnacht Lions (NLB, Swiss tier 2)) 7pts/7GP Promoted to ZSC Lions (NLA, Swiss Tier 1) 1pt/8GP

Borna Rendulis - Lahti Pelicans (Liiga) 8pts/14GP Then for a reason I can't find he left and went to Podolsk Vityaz (KHL) 3pts/6GP

Chad Billins - Chad came to Utica from Linkoping HC (SHL) where he had 31pts/50GP. Now has returned to Linkoping HC (SHL) 8pts/6GP

Andrey Pedan - Traded to Pittsburgh. 2-way paying him the same $200 K at the AHL level that Vancouver was. However, he is guaranteed $300 K at the minor league level with Pitt. Playing for AHL Wilkes-Barre Scranton 1pt/8GP

David Shields - Villacher SV (EBEL, Austria) 8pts/16GP

Marco Roy - ECHL Fort Wayne Komets His 5pts/4GP leads the team in scoring. He stated in the Fort Wayne press that wrist injuries have hampered throughout his pro career including last season. He says he was like the 13th forward in Utica when healthy so he only played 23 games. He didn't mention his time in Alaska. He says he is finally healthy and is only 22, so he sees a possible future at a higher level and he's going to use this opportunity to promote himself. I say good luck to you. A positive attitude is the first step.

Derek Hulak - AHL Lehigh Valley Phantoms Surprise! Surprise! Has no stats because he has been injured since the season began.

Tom Nilsson - Djurgardens IF (SHL) 1pt/7GP

John Negrin - Lorenskog (Norway) No stats. Signed the contract on 10/21.

PTOS

Luke Pither (1GP for Utica) - Almtuna IS (Allsvenskan) 5pts/14 GP.

Alex Wall (2GP for Utica) - Frisk Asker (Norway) 7pts/12GP

Emerson Clark (2GP for Utica) - ECHL Jacksonville IceMen 3pts/3GP. Of note, he has 37 PIM in those 3 GP. The last of a dying breed. He loves to fight.

Phil DeSimone (8GP for Utica) - When released by Utica he signed with HC La Chaux- de Fonds (NLB, Swiss tier 2).
2017-18 Stoney Creek Generals (ACH, top tier of Canadian SR hockey) I'd say his career is over.

In summation of the Comets regulars, they have all either landed on other AHL rosters or on rosters in one the top European leagues.

Last edited:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Feel like I'm writing in a diary instead of an internet blog . All of those fans that were going to follow the Comets have gone back to the 'Nucks and their ****** coach. I guess Boeser and Virtanen are enough to whet their appetites for the kids. They are the reason those fans were going to follow the Comets anyways. I guess that's really the right thinking since Demko is the only top shelf "kid" left. Goldy and Boucher are youngins who should be up there anyways so they are past the wow factor of a kid. Rodin has lost his luster among many Vancouver followers even though he is still on the burner, low as the flame may be burning. Brisebois, MacEwen, D'Aoust, Chatfield, Molino, and Carcone are not in the same classification and are a long ways from Vancouver yet anyways, if ever. McEney is the sleeper.

The Comets season is well under way and I thought it would be a good time to look at where last year's Comets have surfaced.

Curtis Valk - Received a 1-yr ELC from the Florida Panthers. Playing for AHL Springfield and has 8pts/10GP. Could use that center help in good old Utica. He would have come for a cheap price seeing what it cost Florida. a long ways from vet status as well.

Alex Grenier - 1-yr 2-way with the Florida Panthers. Playing for AHL Springfield and has 7pts/10GP.

Cody Kunyk - SaiPa (Liiga) 8pts/15GP

Mike Zalewski - Straubing Tiger (DEL) 11pts/18GP

Colby Robak - AHL Stockton 1pt/8GP

Pascal Pelletier - GC Kushnacht Lions (NLB, Swiss tier 2)) 7pts/7GP Promoted to ZSC Lions (NLA, Swiss Tier 1) 1pt/8GP

Borna Rendulis - Lahti Pelicans (Liiga) 8pts/14GP Then for a reason I can't find he left and went to Podolsk Vityaz (KHL) 3pts/6GP

Chad Billins - Chad came to Utica from Linkoping HC (SHL) where he had 31pts/50GP. Now has returned to Linkoping HC (SHL) 8pts/6GP

Andrey Pedan - Traded to Pittsburgh. 2-way paying him the same $200 K at the AHL level that Vancouver was. However, he is guaranteed $300 K at the minor league level with Pitt. Playing for AHL Wilkes-Barre Scranton 1pt/8GP

David Shields - Villacher SV (EBEL, Austria) 8pts/16GP

Marco Roy - ECHL Fort Wayne Komets His 5pts/4GP leads the team in scoring. He stated in the Fort Wayne press that wrist injuries have hampered throughout his pro career including last season. He says he was like the 13th forward in Utica when healthy so he only played 23 games. He didn't mention his time in Alaska. He says he is finally healthy and is only 22, so he sees a possible future at a higher level and he's going to use this opportunity to promote himself. I say good luck to you. A positive attitude is the first step.

Derek Hulak - AHL Lehigh Valley Phantoms Surprise! Surprise! Has no stats because he has been injured since the season began.

Tom Nilsson - Djurgardens IF (SHL) 1pt/7GP

John Negrin - Lorenskog (Norway) No stats. Signed the contract on 10/21.

PTOS

Luke Pither (1GP for Utica) - Almtuna IS (Allsvenskan) 5pts/14 GP.

Alex Wall (2GP for Utica) - Frisk Asker (Norway) 7pts/12GP

Emerson Clark (2GP for Utica) - ECHL Jacksonville IceMen 3pts/3GP. Of note, he has 37 PIM in those 3 GP. The last of a dying breed. He loves to fight.

Phil DeSimone (8GP for Utica) - When released by Utica he signed with HC La Chaux- de Fonds (NLB, Swiss tier 2).
2017-18 Stoney Creek Generals (ACH, top tier of Canadian SR hockey) I'd say his career is over.

In summation of the Comets regulars, they have all either landed on other AHL rosters or on rosters in one the top European leagues.

Wow thanks for taking the time to post this its VERY helpful for those of us who havent had the time to follow Utica prospects this closely. Good to hear about Boucher and what dya mean McEneny is a sleeper? Like lazy?

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
BG I love your work but I don't have the time or energy to follow the comets and often have little to add to your posts. I wish your fellow fans had the spine and guts you have and had stuck around to keep this thread more active with informed opinions. As it is this is among the threads I check daily.

Keep up the good work!

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Comets vrs devils, 1-0 devils on a gift from Demko..... Pathetic goal to give up from a bad angle and no traffic what so ever... Sog 6-5 devils. No grade A scoring chances on either side... Defensive snore fest so far... Cassels did get in a hugging match so I guess he's still got a pulse..

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Still 1-0 devils. Comets generating zero offence. Spent most that period bottled up in their own end.....

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Feel like I'm writing in a diary instead of an internet blog . All of those fans that were going to follow the Comets have gone back to the 'Nucks and their ****** coach.

There are actually a few of us still around, hopefully watching the results and reports on each Comets games. This forum (largely your posts, but also others) usually constitute the best information I see about those games.

I can't tell from this whether you are suggesting he didn't have that $300K guarantee with Vancouver. In case that is the suggestion, Pedan is operating under the contract he signed with Vancouver on May 3 of this year, with, as you say, salary being $750,000 in the NHL, $200,000 in the AHL and a guarantee of at least $300,000 for the season even if he spends it all in the minors.

Details of his contract are on capfriendly and were quoted May 3, 2017 in the Vancouver Province as being:

Andrey Pedan #Canucks
1 year Extension for 2017-18
NHL: $750,000
Minor: $200,000
* $300K guaranteed at the minor level pic.twitter.com/9Qp8zGp9hm
— CapFriendly (@CapFriendly) May 3, 2017

http://theprovince.com/sports/hocke...canucks-re-sign-andrey-pedan-to-one-year-deal

Obviously this doesn't affect the point of your post, which I take as showing that the Comets haven't had much in the way of high quality prospects on the roster.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Comets drop a 2-1 game. Not much to be proud of in this game, comets put on a push late but it was too little too late....... Demko handed the Devils the win tonight.........

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Domecile

Opinion != Fact
Jul 9, 2014
Delta
I'm reading your diary regularly BG. Might not comment, but I'm here reading. Probably one of the few things I come here for. So please keep it up, it is very much appreciated!

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
I’m also reading. This thread is one of the few worth reading, let alone posting in and BG is one of the main reasons. Best way to keep up to speed with our AHL prospects. I think there are quite a few people who are reading

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Haven't watched all the last two games but in each the margin of victory was slight and Comets played good in stretches and then bad in stretches. Some thoughts on players

Goldobin remains a cut above everyone else. Has more speed than I thought and continues to be outstanding in how he see the ice and moves the puck. He is doing a lot better job of retrieving the puck and getting some pressure on in the forecheck. However, needs to start converting chances. In both games he had great chances but the goalies made excellent saves. (and Utica has faced some hot goaltending). He scores and the Comets win.

MeEneny remains by far the choice of the defenseman. Does a very good job from the point with his shots and is playing with more authority in his own end.

Subban - times were he is just lightening fast but still a little out of control. Playing well enough but the team needs more scoring out of him

Holm - is improving. Starting to show some good mobility and polish

Demko - weak on the first goal tonight but overall provided good goaltending. AHL Goalie of the month for October

D'aoust - definitely improving. Has some speed

Gaunce - maybe not as good over the last couple of games as he adjusts to center. Good defensively.

Brisebois - is playing better. Sakting appears fine. However, has to better down low in his end

Archibald - picked it up in the last couple of games. Unlucky not to score a couple.

Boucher - can see the class. At this level looks really quick. One complaint is that he shoots everything. Gets on his stick and he is across center he is letting go with a shot. O the PP, in particular , probably better to work it around to Goldobin and let Goldobin set him up with a better chance.

Rodin - mostly good. another one who needs to bury chances.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Don't get too excited over the 3 star selections. From what we can tell, the person picking the 3 stars is about as clueless as they come. Mark Caz used to do the selections, and while no one has officially announced who is making the selections, we believe it to be Andy Zilch our clueless play by play announcer whom replaced Caz as director of communications.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Wow thanks for taking the time to post this its VERY helpful for those of us who havent had the time to follow Utica prospects this closely. Good to hear about Boucher and what dya mean McEneny is a sleeper? Like lazy?

A sleeper. A dark horse. A guy not expected from the beginning to amount to much who came on strong in the second half of last season (thought to be his 3rd season of his ELC, but first in the AHL. However, a technicality in the rules allowed for this his 4th season to still be on his ELC and he won't be an RFA until next season.). So was season was a pleasant surprise but probably nothing to become ecstatic about? Probably in the normal scheme of things. Maybe he'll nail down an AHL career. Not bad for an undrafted kid. Started this season so-so and then all of a sudden a 3-point game and 5 points (2G/3A) in his last 3 GP. If he can keep this up along with his good D-play maybe there is even more hope for him. You know, the old thought that "D take longer to develop". Maybe he's one of those sleepers.

To early to tell, but management will need to keep a closer eye on this kid.

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
I’m also reading. This thread is one of the few worth reading, let alone posting in and BG is one of the main reasons. Best way to keep up to speed with our AHL prospects. I think there are quite a few people who are reading

x2...I don't bother with most of the threads on here as they're mostly the same old posters bitching about the same old things and and bunch of useless white noise but I like to keep up with what's happening in Utica and this thread is the best source around thanks to BG,UticaHockey and the other Utica "eyes in the sky".Thanks guys.:thumbu:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Don't get too excited over the 3 star selections. From what we can tell, the person picking the 3 stars is about as clueless as they come. Mark Caz used to do the selections, and while no one has officially announced who is making the selections, we believe it to be Andy Zilch our clueless play by play announcer whom replaced Caz as director of communications.

Can't agree more on Zilch's clueless endeavors. He's supposed to be a play by play broadcaster first of all things.

I have heard endless information about the opposing team's coaches, management, ownership, connections to hockey past, and their players: pasts, career highs and lows, statistics, family and personal life, difficulties overcome, and aspirations. Add to that prattling on about their building, the seating capacity and how it relates to the Aud, the scoreboard, his positioning and how it relates to other buildings and how it effects his ability to see the ice, on and off ice mike positions, the stats sheets or lack thereof, the PA system or the PA announcer, the horn, the lack of crowd involvement, the mascot, the food, the goings on in the crowd, the intermission entertainment, the big screen displays during game interludes, etc.

I don't give two flying ***** about any of that crap when the play on the ice is being ignored while he goes into all of this other stuff. That's stuff you "enlighten" the listeners with during lulls in the game and between periods. I have heard the identification of the opposing players lined up for faceoffs, changes made on the fly, and the actual movement of the puck from player to player and attempts to retrieve it and who makes specific efforts to defend against the Comets efforts. Every player by name.
You may ask, "What's so bad about that?"
I would answer, "Absolutely, nothing! That's called play by play."
'Then what's your problem?"
"He DOESN"T do that for the COMETS!!!!!!!!!

All I want for him is that he be the listeners eyes. We don't see what he does and a good play by play announcer enables you to envision the actual goings on. To do that he has to tell you who the players are before a whistle and identify the new guys immediately on the changes. Then he has to tell you who does what. Not:
"Shot. SAVE! Rebound. Wide!
BUT:
"Archi shoots. SAVE! Rebound? WIDE! by D'Aoust. He had an open side."

How about:
Faceoff to the left of Ullmark. Porter to take the draw for the Amerks. Chaput wins the draw out to the point. Comets can't keep it in. Stolen back by the Comets and they break back in on the left side. Dumped into the corner and a battle for the puck takes place. It squirts out and a shot goes wide back out to the right point Subban keeps it in. Moves down the boards. Stops. Steps inside and shoots and Ullmark gloves it down for a whistle.

vs.

Faceoff to the left of Ullmark. Chaput's line on for the Comets (he told us who was on Chaput's line earlier and it's our job to remember that if he doesn't have time to say "with Goldobin on the left and Boucher on the right with McEneny and Subban.Or at least mention a change on that line if has occurred. (Chaput's line out with Rodin now on the right side.)

(There is really no excuse to not have the time when he watches the line changes leave the bench after the whistle. I don't need to know how many saves Ullmark made last night in Providence instead!)

Porter to take the draw for the Amerks. Chaput wins the draw back towards Subban but Smith challenges him for the slow moving puck and is able to knock it out of the zone and blows by Subbie and picks it up. OHH, Boucher strips it from Smith on the back check. What hustle. He turns back to the left and hits the exiting Chaput in the middle who dumps it right back into the left corner. Goldobin in hot pursuit and a battle ensues in the corner between Goldy and Redmond. McEneny pinches down and Chaput now joins the battle and the puck squirts out. McEneny pounces and shoots! Wide! The puck goes up the right side boards and Subban keeps it in. He moves down the boards, reverses direction, slips inside and lets it go. Ullmark gloves the miscued shot and holds on for a whistle.

That's the difference in being the eyes for the listener instead of giving a half-***** version of what's going on.

Here's another one.
Puck goes down the ice and the Comets change up. There is a commotion going on in the crowd down to my right. I can't, I can't really identify what exactly is happening.

(The game is happening !!!!! How about you tell us what exactly is happening on the ice.)

There is a guy dressed in monkey suit.

(Do you know it's a guy?)

I can't see what it is he's doing that has the crowd all riled up.

(Do you think we care?????? CALL the GAME!!!!!)

He's tossing out peanuts but the bag has a string attached and he pulls it back.
SCORE!!!!!!!!! Carter Bancks on the breakaway and it's 1-0 Comets!

ARE YOU ******* ME?

Instead of Sifers flips it off the glass and out of danger. The puck goes down the ice, but won't be far enough for icing and the Comets can get a much needed change. Bancks, Goldobin, and Boucher stream out over the boards along with Chatfield and Sautner. Her come the Amerks right back up the ice.
Criscuolo carries it across the line. Drops it back to Guhle who hits Smith at the top of the left circle. Holm forces him wide and to the corner. Puck goes back up the boards and out to Percy at the point. he winds and shoots. It's blocked by Bancks and out to the neutral zone and Carter is in pursuit. He scoops it up and he's gone.

It's Carter Bancks on the breakaway. He moves in on Ullmark. Fakes. Fakes again and SCORES!!!!!!!!! Top shelf , blocker side. Amazing goal for Bancks who is not known for his puck prowess has the Comets up 1-0!

Read and learn Andy. That's what the guys who broadcast big time sound like. That's how your predecessor earned his gig in Brooklyn with the Islanders.

Last edited:
Reactions: go comets

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
give him time. it's a known fact that colour guys adapt quickly but play by play guys take longer.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I appreciate all your work BG, even if it does feel more like writing entries in a diary at times. I know I've been busier during the last year and a half or so, so I haven't been posting nearly as much. I believe I speak for most people here when I say, rest assured, your work hasn't been a waste or in vein. A lot of people depend on this thread, whether they're cruising by for quick updates or have the time to do a thorough read-through.

This obviously goes for folks like orcatown, UticaHockey, go comets etc. I look st other AHL team threads on other teams' boards and I don't think any quite come close I'm terms of the work and participation. I know I appreciate and value it tremendously, even if, unfortunately, I'm not as active as I used to be.

Reactions: DecideFreedom

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Most on the comets Facebook group won't even listen to zilch..... The guy must work cheap........ But then again he was available for a reason........ They need to sit him down in front of a radio and listen to some other play by play guys...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->