The Utica Comets Thread XXIII - Calder Cup Playoffs Edition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Utica is in tough against Chicago. Big veteran team that banged the Comets around tonite. Comets were decent on the PP but couldn't produce any goals. Not really making the Wolves pay for running around and roughing up some of the Comet players. One of the worst hits was on Sanguinetti who took a bad shot to the head and was down for awhile.

One problem with the Comets is that they are not very big up front. Need to use speed to overcome this and right now players like Hamilton and Bancks are doing nothing. Hamilton started the season strong but after getting a contract and then getting injured has become a big liability.

Grenier continues to be the strongest forward. Made very nice pass to Shinkaruk on the goal and was great on face offs. Looks the most likely to do something offensively.

Thought the Comets defense was ok although Corrado consistently mishandled the puck on chances in the offensive zone. Huskins was perhaps the best of the dman. Ehrhardt was in but played little.

Conacher again took some bad penalties and was erratic in his play. Not really jelling with the rest of the team

Saw nothing out of Jensen or Gaunce. Jensen, in particular, seemed easily dismissed from the play.

Markstrom played well and he will have to play outstanding to get the Comets thru this series.

Ahl comets

Jul 5, 2014
That's probably true, but do you think they have lines of guys trying to become professional hockey refs? They aren't turning guys away. They have what they get and that's not even enough to provide two refs to every AHL team for every game. Attending all of the Comets' games you never know if you'll have 1 or 2 refs until they come out for the start of the game.

Now if you were to start disciplining and criticizing these dolts for their idiotic calls and lack of game control, how many do you think would stay in the game? This is a real problem facing the powers that be in this great game. Inferior officiating is not doing this great game any assistance. Something needs to be done for sure, but I don't pretend to have the answer. I know for sure there is no quick fix.

The reffing at the next level leaves a lot to be desired as well. This is a problem that won't go away and won't be solved over night if ever.

Its the same in every league... Archie is the lone enforcer at this point and he needs to step up and end the goonery. Not many refs are gonna make those kind of calls against a home team down 0-1 in a series. With a full building and raucous crowd, the comets should be able to get some calls... But honestly, a comets pp goal or two would have ended most of the bs.....

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Good news for Utica is that Baertchi, Kenins, Horvat should be in the lineup for the next game.

I'm not wishing for ill will on the Canucks. The Comets should be able to win 2 of 3 on home ice.

I just hope St. Louis doesn't proceed with their annual first round choke job. I don't want to see Ty Rattie coming back to the Wolves for game 3.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'm sure a split in Chicago is a satisfactory outcome for Travis Green, with the next three games in the best-of-five series at the Aud...biggest concern is the pp....0-12 so far in the series...but expect that to pick up on home ice as well...boy, for an NHL franchise supposedly loaded with prospects, the Blues farm team seems a little lame....loaded with AHL lifers....but that was the problem when the Wolves and Canucks had a working agreement...so glad VanCity finally owns their own AHL affiliate in Utica.

go canucks go*

What an arrogant and unnecessary post. It's ok for Utica fans to want the team they watch have the best available players, and it's unfortunate when the nucks have injuries and dip into the talent pool during playoffs.

It's true. The Canucks are the only team that matters, and makes the big bucks on sponsorship deals, merchandise and attendance. All Utica is, is a secondary minor source of income and a development league. And that's what it is. A development league. And that's all the Canucks see the value in it for. I'm happy for the fans and they have great turnouts, but they should be supporting the team, not the players. Players could give a crap less about the AHL if they even have a remote chance in the NHL. That's a fact.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
It's true. The Canucks are the only team that matters, and makes the big bucks on sponsorship deals, merchandise and attendance. All Utica is, is a secondary minor source of income and a development league. And that's what it is. A development league. And that's all the Canucks see the value in it for. I'm happy for the fans and they have great turnouts, but they should be supporting the team, not the players. Players could give a crap less about the AHL if they even have a remote chance in the NHL. That's a fact.

It's not true and you're bais is clouding your judgement. Vancouver needs Uitica to be successful for more than a marginal increase in revenue. It needs to create a culture of winning in the AHL that feeds the Canucks with players that have experianced success in professional hockey and understand the expectations and demands of a long playoff run. If makit cash is all that matters the Canucks should be a cap floor team that tries to profit as much as possible. I believe that the Canucks purchased an AHL team because it was a long and poor history of not developing it's talent and need to change that. Yes Utica has to send players to the Canucks as that is the point of that franchise but that in no way means that fans of the Comets shouldn't want success and to see the best players available. You entitled and arrogant posts don't seem to understand the importance of development and respect for other fans.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY

Okay I'm confused. Here is your quote on the thread #943:

"Thank you for not being one of those butt hurt minor league fans that doesn't understand that the NHL is much more important, and the AHL is a development league. It must suck to see players leaving for the big leagues, but really if you're an AHL fan you have to deal with it. Good on you."

But here is your quote from 4/23 #743:

"I'm kinda hoping tomorrow the Canucks are eliminated so Utica can get stacked. Kenins and Horvat down would really be a boost for them tbh. Can Vey go down?"

It looks like you are guilty of the same thing that you are lambasting others for.....

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
Utica is in tough against Chicago. Big veteran team that banged the Comets around tonite. Comets were decent on the PP but couldn't produce any goals. Not really making the Wolves pay for running around and roughing up some of the Comet players. One of the worst hits was on Sanguinetti who took a bad shot to the head and was down for awhile.

One problem with the Comets is that they are not very big up front. Need to use speed to overcome this and right now players like Hamilton and Bancks are doing nothing. Hamilton started the season strong but after getting a contract and then getting injured has become a big liability.

Grenier continues to be the strongest forward. Made very nice pass to Shinkaruk on the goal and was great on face offs. Looks the most likely to do something offensively.

Thought the Comets defense was ok although Corrado consistently mishandled the puck on chances in the offensive zone. Huskins was perhaps the best of the dman. Ehrhardt was in but played little.

Conacher again took some bad penalties and was erratic in his play. Not really jelling with the rest of the team

Saw nothing out of Jensen or Gaunce. Jensen, in particular, seemed easily dismissed from the play.

Markstrom played well and he will have to play outstanding to get the Comets thru this series.

Don't really agree with most of your Conacher analysis. he took one poor penalty then got cross checked in the the head and pushed into the goalie. He will draw more than he takes in the mold of pests like Marchand and Gallagher he needs to play this way to be effective. Without Baertschi on his line he is pretty much going it alone on offence. Gaunce and Frieson while good players are not exactly prolific on offence. Conacher misses Baertschi more than anyone on the team.

go canucks go*

Okay I'm confused. Here is your quote on the thread #943:

"Thank you for not being one of those butt hurt minor league fans that doesn't understand that the NHL is much more important, and the AHL is a development league. It must suck to see players leaving for the big leagues, but really if you're an AHL fan you have to deal with it. Good on you."

But here is your quote from 4/23 #743:

"I'm kinda hoping tomorrow the Canucks are eliminated so Utica can get stacked. Kenins and Horvat down would really be a boost for them tbh. Can Vey go down?"

It looks like you are guilty of the same thing that you are lambasting others for.....

Ya. I don't have any more hope for the Canucks anyways so it's better for Baertschi's and Kenins' development. If I had even a glimmer of hope I wouldn't care less about Utica until the Canucks are eliminated. Kenins/Baertschi playing is better than them not playing. So no busted.

go canucks go*

It's not true and you're bais is clouding your judgement. Vancouver needs Uitica to be successful for more than a marginal increase in revenue. It needs to create a culture of winning in the AHL that feeds the Canucks with players that have experianced success in professional hockey and understand the expectations and demands of a long playoff run. If makit cash is all that matters the Canucks should be a cap floor team that tries to profit as much as possible. I believe that the Canucks purchased an AHL team because it was a long and poor history of not developing it's talent and need to change that. Yes Utica has to send players to the Canucks as that is the point of that franchise but that in no way means that fans of the Comets shouldn't want success and to see the best players available. You entitled and arrogant posts don't seem to understand the importance of development and respect for other fans.

And not bringing up the best players for a chance at winning that you can from the farm team just so the AHL team might have a bit more success is bad management. When the team is out? Sure. Leaving a guy down there that would help more than another guy would who's already up when you have space to bring him up, just cause he'll help the AHL team is dumb dumb management

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
That's probably true, but do you think they have lines of guys trying to become professional hockey refs? They aren't turning guys away. They have what they get and that's not even enough to provide two refs to every AHL team for every game. Attending all of the Comets' games you never know if you'll have 1 or 2 refs until they come out for the start of the game.

Now if you were to start disciplining and criticizing these dolts for their idiotic calls and lack of game control, how many do you think would stay in the game? This is a real problem facing the powers that be in this great game. Inferior officiating is not doing this great game any assistance. Something needs to be done for sure, but I don't pretend to have the answer. I know for sure there is no quick fix.

The reffing at the next level leaves a lot to be desired as well. This is a problem that won't go away and won't be solved over night if ever.

I forgive refs not seeing stuff, they can not look everywhere at once. What i do not like is refs choosing to overlook or the league choosing to encourage the refs to allow certain play (infamous playoff standards). The leagues need to support the refs, they need to encourage them to make the calls, none of this "everyone gets a penalty so it is even".

The league should be slapping refs on the back for stopping rough stuff we saw in this game not letting it slide. That is a direction the league can make to the refs, it is not about picking on them, directing them.

I would love to see less offsetting roughings, penalise the guy starting it and none for the responder, pretty soon nobody is starting it.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Well, I guess I'll say it first. Baertschi will make the Utica PP much better and he will set up Conacher better than anyone on the current roster. This should energize the offense. The best part is the rest for Baert and Kenins while at the same time the layoff until Wednesday gives them time to get it down in practice.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
so why exactly can't bo play for utica? canucks are done and his junior team is done. he should be able to be asssigned to the ahl. the whole paper transaction doesn't make sense since he wasn't allowed to be assigned to thhe ahl while his junior team was still playing.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
so why exactly can't bo play for utica? canucks are done and his junior team is done. he should be able to be asssigned to the ahl. the whole paper transaction doesn't make sense since he wasn't allowed to be assigned to thhe ahl while his junior team was still playing.

Yeah I dont have a clue. Likely has to do with his playing in the NHL all year, using up a year of his ELC and being unable to sign a PTO with the Comets like other CHL players who just finished their year would

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad