The Utica Comets Thread | Part XXXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I've posted this in several threads trying to get to the bottom of this as quickly as possible. Where is Corrado now? Not listed on either the Marlies or the Leafs rosters.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
I wouldn't hold too much against Green for that one. Hutton at the time was an unknown and he had the AHL's top 6 D. Can't blame him for sticking with the best.

Hindsight is always 20-20, but no one in Vancouver really saw this coming either. Hutton was slated for Utica when Vancouver opened camp and everyone knew it except Ben. Corrado actually made this happen. If he had played the way they thought he was going to, Hutton would have been assigned to the Comets. Thank Frankie for the surprise package of the season.

Exactly. Incredibly upsetting about Corrado though, as most of us had such high hopes for him...

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
Oh, and incidentally, the way Baertschi is playing in Vancouver was not the way he played here at all. Someone has clipped his wings so he can't fly. His freedom of movement has been limited to the wing. Green gave him license to maneuver. He used all of the ice and his line mates wove and cut and changed lanes with him while creating a cohesive three man unit.

WD has them playing his system and that limits much of Sven's skills. That's okay, but you won't see the playmaking ability he demonstrated here within that system. No he shouldn't disobey his coach's orders. He must play the system, but the results will be less impressive. All of his critics are constantly challenging the game he plays as not being good enough. He's not tough enough. He's not engaged enough. He's too soft. He avoids contact. Interesting that the style Calgary complained he couldn't play involved getting physical and engaging in one on one board battles and going hard to the net and scoring dirty goals. The same thing I'm hearing on this site. He will never play that game.

An NHL coach who understands his style will get what Green got from him providing any NHL coach ever gets to see how he does it. It reminds me of the early European style that came to the NHL in the early 70's. A lot like the Russian five in Detroit a few years back. Bowman let them do it and he got another of his many Stanley Cups.
Don't think Willie or JB understands that style. Baertschi probably washes out in Vancouver because like Burke they will loose their patience. Too bad, because the guy is a ball of talent let loose in the right system.

Tarashenko plays that way. The Tampa kid line plays that way. Datsyuk's line plays that way. Teams do utilize that style in their game. I saw some of it in the Marlies the other night with Nylander and Kapanen. Hmmm, they are mostly European and there is a Detroit link to many of them. Dat plays there, Babcock and Shanny with the Marlies, and Yzerman in Tampa. Some hockey minds get it and others don't or don't care for it, but it can work and work well.

This is a great post outlining some of the main issues in Vancouver. Thank you for the insight.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
If any of the Utica fans care to know Markstrom was great today. Stopped 42 of 45 shots without him Canucks probably would've been rocked.

You don't think we'd go to bed and wait to read the score in the paper tomorrow morning did you? LOL

I know I was following him every tick of the clock and I'm sure there was a throng of Comets fans doing the same. Maybe if they'd crawl out from under their scaredy rocks where so many bad mean Canucks' posters sent them during the playoffs you could see just how many. Utica is more than happy for Marky.

If you've read any of my posts on Markstrom you would know I am one of his staunchest supporters. I believe he has every single tool to be a real good one. The only thing that can stop Marky is Marky.

Comets fans were definitely watching. There was an impromptu game day thread on the fan club group site with those who have NHL Center Ice keeping others with no access updated.

Craz1bo1

Feb 9, 2013
Frank Corrado talking to the media on 11/05/2015, after his conditioning stint:

[NHL]865534&catid=802[/NHL]

So, he's on the Leafs roster, just not getting any games.

Kaboomer

Feb 9, 2015
You are a little over the top here. Yes, people were screaming because he wasn't given a chance over EHRHARDT/NEGRIN. Once Ehrhardt was replaced by Corrado, Utica had it's AHL best lineup, in tact.

Some were still yelling the kid needs to start over nonprospects. There were none in the lineup unless you wanted to sit Sanguinetti and that wasn't going to happen.

The statement was no one saw this kid as a top D on the Canucks! No one had even seen him yet. When camp opened he was earmarked for Utica and for big minutes. He's the reason they didn't find the replacement for Sanguinetti who is now desperately needed. Hutton would have been that guy. Then he shocked the management and they had to keep him up.

This rise to greatness was not seen before he did it in October. The yelling about his not playing in Utica was "all the other teams try their prospects and we aren't". It wasn't "you have an NHL D-man sitting there and you are ignoring him." Everyone wanted to see how good the new toy was. He played 4 games and showed none of the player he showed in camp. If the preseason camp guy had appeared in Utica in those 4 games, room would have been found for him.

Check out this link of the shifts played by Hutton in his first AHL game, the first of four he played before the playoffs began.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KT0lkDSVFe4

I am no expert on the AHL, but for me he made a sensational debut. I could easily see that he was a very special player from this video alone. I don't know how his next three games in the AHL were but after seeing Hutton now, I'm sure he played well in them too. Am I wrong, or were the top 6 just that good?

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Check out this link of the shifts played by Hutton in his first AHL game, the first of four he played before the playoffs began.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KT0lkDSVFe4

I am no expert on the AHL, but for me he made a sensational debut. I could easily see that he was a very special player from this video alone. I don't know how his next three games in the AHL were but after seeing Hutton now, I'm sure he played well in them too. Am I wrong, or were the top 6 just that good?

This video shows a great start to his pro career. There is a BUT here. It was vs the Rochester Americans who at that time had been so depleted by the Sabres and injuries that they were barely an ECHL team. The keeper Ben scored against was playing his first pro game and had been playing rec league hockey a couple of weeks prior. It was not a game to gauge his strengths or weaknesses.

His next three games were not as sparkling. You will note that his goal in the first game was the only point he got even though he played 3 more. He did okay as you would hope a rookie would do, but he did not equal the Comets top 6. They were exemplary for the league. The Comets were only as good as their defense and Marky. They yielded 51 goals (2 goals per game) and Marky's Save % was .925.The forward depth was weak in the scoring department only scoring 53 total goals (also barely 2 goals per game), but played a ferocious forechecking game and were strong defensively. As Green would put it, "We have to make it very hard for the opponent to play their game against us."

I would have liked to see what Hutton had as much as any other fan, but I fully understand where Green was coming from. Like any other coach at that time of the year, if you have something special you don't start tinkering with it. The D never let them down. In the end it was the inability to score that did them in. McCann was the bigger key left untried.

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Frank Corrado talking to the media on 11/05/2015, after his conditioning stint:

[NHL]865534&catid=802[/NHL]

So, he's on the Leafs roster, just not getting any games.

Technically I guess, but their roster lists 9 D-men with one on IR and Frankie isn't one of the 9.

Craz1bo1

Feb 9, 2013
Technically I guess, but their roster lists 9 D-men with one on IR and Frankie isn't one of the 9.

Are you looking at their roster on their main website? I wouldn't use that as an indication on who they have/don't have on their roster, as they don't update them unless there are drastic changes.

For example, Petter Granberg has been injured since the off season. He didn't attend this year's training camp due to rehab, so really, he shouldn't be on there at all. Corrado is back with the parent team (should be) from his conditioning stint, yet he has not been added to the roster (on the website).

I think this is just the same situation that Corrado was in last year with the Canucks, which is unfortunate because he really should be playing, whether that be in the NHL or AHL. He's losing valuable development time by just hanging around in the press box.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Are you looking at their roster on their main website? I wouldn't use that as an indication on who they have/don't have on their roster, as they don't update them unless there are drastic changes.

For example, Petter Granberg has been injured since the off season. He didn't attend this year's training camp due to rehab, so really, he shouldn't be on there at all. Corrado is back with the parent team (should be) from his conditioning stint, yet he has not been added to the roster (on the website).

I think this is just the same situation that Corrado was in last year with the Canucks, which is unfortunate because he really should be playing, whether that be in the NHL or AHL. He's losing valuable development time by just hanging around in the press box.

Correct, but this time it's even worse. Unless they want to try the waiver wire one more time, Frankie gets only the press box as an alternative to the lineup. This kid's entire career is going to pass him by while he sits in the press box. Some guys go up for a cup of coffee a couple three times, but Frank is drinking the 100 cup urn dry and refilling it in two big league cities. I've heard of guys being on the edge of making it, but it's super ridiculous with this kid.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I posted a few days ago in the "around the league" thread that Carrado seems to be really getting jerked around by the leafs. The Leafs board said his conditioning stint ended on the 5th. He's been a healthy scratch in the three games since. So, two weeks of being a healthy scratch, two week "conditioning stint" and now a healthy scratch for the foreseeable future.
Clearly, the Leafs don't want to lose him or play him. While trying to retain an asset is understandable, lengthy stints in the press box will impede his development, hurt his confidence, and rapidly make him that guy that "had potential". He won't be in a position to show well if/when he is needed. I'm guessing he is very frustrated with the situation. A simple amendment to the CBA should be considered - if a player spends more than X days on the NHL roster without playing, waivers should be required (could even add an age clause - players 25 and under).

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I posted a few days ago in the "around the league" thread that Carrado seems to be really getting jerked around by the leafs. The Leafs board said his conditioning stint ended on the 5th. He's been a healthy scratch in the three games since. So, two weeks of being a healthy scratch, two week "conditioning stint" and now a healthy scratch for the foreseeable future.
Clearly, the Leafs don't want to lose him or play him. While trying to retain an asset is understandable, lengthy stints in the press box will impede his development, hurt his confidence, and rapidly make him that guy that "had potential". He won't be in a position to show well if/when he is needed. I'm guessing he is very frustrated with the situation. A simple amendment to the CBA should be considered - if a player spends more than X days on the NHL roster without playing, waivers should be required (could even add an age clause - players 25 and under).

Leafs have no other options though, right? They can't send him back down without giving the Canucks a chance to have him back. Doesn't he have to clear waivers with every team, and then he goes to Utica. Nothing the Leafs can do. Play him, press box him or lose him. Can't send him anywhere to play.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Leafs have no other options though, right? They can't send him back down without giving the Canucks a chance to have him back. Doesn't he have to clear waivers with every team, and then he goes to Utica. Nothing the Leafs can do. Play him, press box him or lose him. Can't send him anywhere to play.

As I understand it (mostly from reading other posts on this board), the Leafs either have him on their 23 man roster (either playing or sitting) or they place him on waivers. The waiver rules would apply in that there is an order of teams that can pick him up or decline. The Canucks fit on the list but I believe with no special privileges for having lost him in the first place. If I'm interpreting article 13.22 of the CBA correctly (see below), if the Canucks are successful with their waiver claim for Corrado, they can assign him to Utica within 30 days provided he hasn't played 10 games.

"13.22 When a Club claims a Player on Regular or Unconditional Waivers, and, subsequently,
in the same season it requests Waivers on the same Player and the original owning Club is the
successful and only Club making a Waiver claim, then the original owning Club shall be entitled
to Loan such Player to a club in another league within thirty days without further Waivers being
asked; provided that such Player has not participated in ten or more NHL Games (cumulative)
and remained on an NHL roster more than thirty days (cumulative) following such successful
claim. "

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

You sir, have it correct. It makes one wonder what is going through the minds of Leafs management. What is the reason they went after him if they weren't going to use him? This is especially mind bending when you look at the future impending talent they have down below.

Trading him isn't an option either. What can you get for a guy who has been press box meat for two seasons with two clubs and still not established as even having bottom rung NHL talent?

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
As I understand it (mostly from reading other posts on this board), the Leafs either have him on their 23 man roster (either playing or sitting) or they place him on waivers. The waiver rules would apply in that there is an order of teams that can pick him up or decline. The Canucks fit on the list but I believe with no special privileges for having lost him in the first place. If I'm interpreting article 13.22 of the CBA correctly (see below), if the Canucks are successful with their waiver claim for Corrado, they can assign him to Utica within 30 days provided he hasn't played 10 games.

"13.22 When a Club claims a Player on Regular or Unconditional Waivers, and, subsequently,
in the same season it requests Waivers on the same Player and the original owning Club is the
successful and only Club making a Waiver claim, then the original owning Club shall be entitled
to Loan such Player to a club in another league within thirty days without further Waivers being
asked; provided that such Player has not participated in ten or more NHL Games (cumulative)
and remained on an NHL roster more than thirty days (cumulative) following such successful
claim. "

The problem with the Canucks sending him to Utica if they claimed him and nobody else submitted a claim would be the question of him being on an NHL roster for >thirty days. He doesn't have to be playing to get those days in.

He probably hasn't hit 30 days yet but it must be coming soon.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Decent size for an ECHL d-man..but doesn't look too good for McEneny's future in Utica

This is his 4th year of professional hockey and all are in the ECHL and with 4 different teams. Last season he led the league with a +46 while putting up 45 pts (4G/41A) and only 14 PIM. Appears he is not very physical in spite of his (6'2"/190lbs) size. His +/- indicates he is probably defense first minded, but his points indicate he probably skated with the first unit and got some PP time as well. Blomstrand and Fox came here with good ECHL numbers and couldn't even make the roster as an extra. Most ECHL players who come here like this get a look and are released.

The Comets are desperate for a veteran AHL level D-man and this is all they can do? This was done by the Comets so it looks like Vancouver hasn't made an indication that they intend to do anything at the moment.

However, they need a quality D-man from anywhere right now. Pedan, Fedun, Ehrhardt, Subban, and someone wearing #5 (Cederholm's #) were skating on D this AM. Sautner was wearing the no contact green and I couldn't find Negrin on the ice. Seems unlikely he slipped under my radar, but he could have. I also believe I saw Stewart running through drills as a D-man?

However you slice it, Utica needs a quality D-man or 2. Cederholm isn't it and McEneny hasn't impressed the coaching staff either. That's why they are both in the Zoo. Would guess the Stewart thing was preparing for the event of an emergency situation just in case.

If Biega remains with Vancouver and Sautner can't go and McE and Cederholm are deemed incompetent and stay in Kalamazoo, Negrin (sick today, hurt, or flew under my radar?) and Daniels become the other 2 with one of Cederholm or McEneny called up as the as the extra. If Negrin is out too, then Cederholm or McE becomes #6 and the other #7 by process of elimination.

Only Wednesday, lots can happen to completely make this post 100% irrelevant.

Last edited:

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
The problem with the Canucks sending him to Utica if they claimed him and nobody else submitted a claim would be the question of him being on an NHL roster for >thirty days. He doesn't have to be playing to get those days in.

ok.....and I think the 30 days is after the Canucks claim (i.e. "following such successful claim")

Also, Corrado is now listed on the Leafs roster and the Leafs board says he's on the ice with the team in Nashville.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

Misread the NHL rule. The 30 days belongs to Utica if they were to reclaim him, thus, my post was flawed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad