The Utica Comets Thread | Part 39

Status
Not open for further replies.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Seriously.

I don't think anyone was surprised by how the season has panned out vis-a-vis our competitiveness, or lack thereof. But, the apparent abject failure of the training and medical staff definitely needs a second look

I think it's the medical staff more than the trainers. Supposedly our team trainers have been able to get guys up to snuff in terms of conditioning when they get their hands on the players here in Vancouver. The issue is guys coming in out of shape.

For the doctors, ever since 2009 I feel like there's been many instances of guys not having surgery when they should have, diagnoses missed or poorly done, etc. Kesler alone probably should have been shut down a half dozen times.

Also I think Sekeres was saying that part of the problem is that the Canucks have a higher standard in terms of conditioning so almost nobody from another organization is on par for their expectations when they come in. Thus, the talk of guys not being "in shape". Probably some truth to that, and it mostly makes sense to me.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Send Goldobin down to get his legs and help Utica into the postseason. Boeser too if he finishes soon.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Totally honest question -- would Green play Boeser, or would this be 2015 all over again? I'm guessing the lower level of talent on this Comets team would militate in favor of him getting in.

Boeser plays. Goldobin plays. Gaunce plays. Carcone, Roy, and Cassels sit.

If or when Rendulic returns to the lineup, another juggle would be necessary, but these 3 have to be given a legitimate shot to play. I see 2 with no problem whatsoever.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Boeser plays. Goldobin plays. Gaunce plays. Carcone, Roy, and Cassels sit.

If or when Rendulic returns to the lineup, another juggle would be necessary, but these 3 have to be given a legitimate shot to play. I see 2 with no problem whatsoever.

You know, if all these lineup changes were to actually come to pass and if the Comets find a way to squeeze in, this is a team which could really scare some teams if ever got on a roll in the post-season.

Like their blueline and goaltending.....issue with the Comets was always up-front....and guys like Gaunce, Goldobin and Boeser would make a big difference imo.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
It's early in the evening but the out-of-town scoreboard looks gloomy right now: St Johns and Toronto are both out to leads.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
It's early in the evening but the out-of-town scoreboard looks gloomy right now: St Johns and Toronto are both out to leads.

Toronto won, but St Johns lost in OT, which is a good result considering they were in front by 2.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
I would be surprised if he got into the lineup, but good to see him getting on board.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
I don't see the harm in sitting Roy or even Cassels to get McKenzie a game or two.

Though they might want to see what they have in Max French before giving McKenzie a shot.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
maybe if they clinch before the season is done. at this stage i can't see sitting an uninjured forward for him unless he's a lot more ready than i think he is.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Important weekend for Utica. They play Albany on Friday (a win puts them 1pt behind Albany even games), Syracuse on Saturday ( the division leaders), and Wilkes-Barre Sunday. Also St. Johns play Hershey twice, so hopefully the bears can help us out. If Utica can find 2 wins this weekend, and St.Johns 2 losses... the Comets will be in a playoff spot with a game-in-hand over St. Johns.

Go Comets!

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com
here r a dozen iso shift by shift games throughout this season to get his game senses if he ever dresses

the tempo in this league imo is probably gonna be too much for him. need to keep his shifts short. i'd bet Green's not gonna like his conditioning and so will u guys

good burst of speed but Cassel like average overall
one on one = not good especially vs good dangler
excellent along the boards. very strong on his feet. hard to knock puck off
very good neutral zone player
have some power moves
well developed two way player but needs to be better open areas

Last edited:

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
St. Johns lost in a shootout, Albany in regulation: a decent night for Utica on the out-of-town scoreboard.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
I don't see the harm in sitting Roy or even Cassels to get McKenzie a game or two.

Though they might want to see what they have in Max French before giving McKenzie a shot.

He will get at least 2 games considering Utica has 3 set of 3 games (this week is a question mark because he wouldn't get a lot of practice time, i doubt the team will have practice in the weekend/during game day so he might get 1 practice with the team before the games).

French will probably play this weekend just because it should be all hands on deck unless Green believes adrenaline > fatigue and players can play off of pure adrenaline).

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
When you watch the MacKenzie highlights you see the difference in speed b/w the Junior game and the AHL is simply glaring.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
When you watch the MacKenzie highlights you see the difference in speed b/w the Junior game and the AHL is simply glaring.

It surprises me that there are those who think there is minimal difference between the AHL and Jrs. and therefore a 7th round pick coming out of Jrs with a PPG can get in a couple practices and just step into an AHL lineup and be a factor. The actual difference in the game is huge.

Max French, a 24 yr-old recent Comet ATO, who just finished 4 years in NCAA DIV I hockey has commented that the first big difference he found was that the AHL is so much faster and he's only practiced and watched last weekend's games.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad