36 Wacey Hamilton
38 Curtis Valk
58 Michael Carcone
71 Borna Rendulic​

Last edited:

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Hopefully Hutton comes back soon so at least Boucher or Megna will get back to Utica. Unless another injury hits or a trade at the deadline?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Hopefully Hutton comes back soon so at least Boucher or Megna will get back to Utica. Unless another injury hits or a trade at the deadline?

Doubt Boucher would clear....Devils seem fixated on him....too bad...Boucher is a solid offensive contributor at the AHL level....could definitely help the Comets....but the guy they really need is either Chaput or Gaunce.....would help solidify the middle where the Comets are seriously lacking.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Please don't take this the wrong way. This post is not directed at you, but it's the starting point of what I need to say. Sorry.

It doesn't matter who the Canucks send down, take up, trade away, fail to replace or acquire for the Comets. They are not supposed to win anyways. Their sole purpose is to produce NHL players and they are woefully a failure in that respect. It doesn't matter that any good rookie has been inserted into the Canucks lineup, whereas in a successful program there wouldn't have been room for them and they would all have started out in the AHL, developed, and then moved up as older bodies were moved out.

The rookies like Cassels should be first line centers skating with the best wings on the team, but they can't be vets because that would mean rookies don't get the best roles and lose ice time to the vets. The wingers like Carcone deserve top notch centers, but they can't be vets because that would deprive the rookie centers of their prime developmental opportunities.

The D prospects should be on the PP and killing penalties and facing the opponents top lines. It doesn't matter what all of these rookies do to the defensive landscape for the goalie prospect who is also supposed to get the majority of the starts because after all the league is for development. So being thrown to the wolves is okay. How else can he get developed?

So playing all these kids in all those top roles would be fine because all of the other AHL teams do it this way as well and therefore they would not be facing older far superior talent. The young D wouldn't be going up against veteran AHL/NHL forwards because the other team doesn't employ this type of player either. The young forwards wouldn't face top AHL/NHL vet D-men and hard hitting shut down AHL/NHL vet forwards. It's a league of kids and old plugs. DREAM WORLD or what?

The league says you get 6 vets, but according to our posting experts they shouldn't be able to eclipse a rookie in any way. Guys like Grenier aren't prospects. They are already busts and he should be on a line with Hamilton and Bancks because skating on the first line deprives budding stars like Carcone the position he needs to fill. Interesting because when I said he really shouldn't be considered a prospect, I was strongly informed that yes he was.

Green has not developed any players. When I disprove that, I'm still wrong because those guys developed in spite of him. He hasn't made any 4th, 5th, 6th, or non drafted guys into NHL guys. What a ***** coach.

When guys leave this organization they play better and when good guys come in they play worse. Jensen is better in Hartford because he has been given the chance to shine whereas Green hogtied him. Friesen sucks the bed in Chicago after having played a much larger role here, but that's because he sucks anyways. The explanations just keep flip-flopping to make themselves correct.

There are apparently no such things as busts coming in from Jrs. Cole Cassels was a 3rd round pick and was a "star". All 3rd round Jr stars hit big in the pros. The guy simply flat out is not good vs the talent level he now faces. He gets a regular shift every game centering 2 guys the experts here claim have to be good, Carcone (unsigned star in Jrs) and Rendulic (scored 38 points last season, but only 8 the year before). They all should be putting up the same kind of numbers and progressing to the NHL. The NHL must have 100 teams since every AHL team gets these same type of guys and just like here they they should be on their way to the show as well. The reality is almost none of these guys make it to the next level. If they can carve out a career in the AHL it's a big deal.

The real good ones rarely stay in the AHL long and there are a handful of those annually. The rest have a couple seasons and then are pushed to the side as the newer arrivals get more attention.

In year one it was Corrado, Jensen, Grenier. All 3 got time with the Canucks and did not shine brightly enough to be brought into the fold, which didn't have a whole lot of room anyways. Jensen and Grenier are AHL All-Stars. Corrado has been press boxed for 3 consecutive seasons in Vancouver and Toronto. Apparently just good enough to keep on an NHL roster for emergency useage, but not good enough to make the game day roster.

Year 2 it was Kenins, Gaunce, and Shinkaruk. Kenins got NHL lots of NHL time in the first season. Like many rookies he looked good for a short stretch and then he fell into the non productive class. He suffered an injury, went home and missed the Comets' Playoff run. the following season the Canucks gave him another try and washed their hands of him. His Utica season wasn't anything to write home about and he is now back in the Swiss league and not performing there either. Guess that one's on Green.
Shink was progressing at nearly a PPG in his soph. year, leading the team in goals and points. AHL All-Star. Traded. Green is so bad.
Gaunce is a Canuck. Is WD deploying him correctly? Is he busting? Ss a good fit as a bottom line player? Is he destined to be sent back to the AHL and forgotten? Maybe Cassels can take his spot. He's ready but poor coach Green just doesn't recognize his skill set.

Year 3 the rookies are Cassels, LaBate, Subban, and Sautner.
Cassels is so beat up from his final Jr. year he skates like he's in midgets. He can't control the puck. Can't make a pass. Can't even flip the puck out of his zone when under pressure. Gets knocked around by every player who gets to him. Spends most of his time in the neutral zone following his line in and chasing the opponents back. Write the year off to injury, rehab, acclimation to bigger, faster, stronger opposition. This year he skates better, but not to the level of his competition. The argument is he isn't getting time in a bigger role. #1 he can't keep up with the top skaters on his team so that won't work. He gets to play against guys on the 3rd lines and he can't succeed against them either. He's a center. We should some maneuverability, some stick skills, some puck movement, play making, you know stuff centers do. Nope. Rendulic, Carcone, and LaBate when he was healthy carry the puck, they dig the corners, they do the fore checking, they do all the heavy work. His best contribution is on the back check because he's the highest player in the zone and thus the first guy able to get back. This is all on that coach again. Can't be the player, right?

I'll give you Sautner in one line. He appears to have been a signing that could have been used on another player.

Subban is improving immensely. Problem is he entered his pro season with horrendous defensive knowledge. He is getting there, but people have no patience. His offense is top notch. He is now an AHL All-Star. I think Green is doing great things with the 21 yr-old.co. Oh, but he is not as good as Hutton or Stecher so there won't be room for him anyways, some posters. He should have been developed well enough to be there already. They are both older and played developed in the NCAA (Hutton 23/3yrs.) and (Stetcher 22/3yrs). The college players get way more coaching and work on their physical development in much more concerted and controlled environment than Jrs. Give Subban the extra time to catch up for cripe's sake.

LaBate has been in Vancouver this season already,came to Utica and was looking good, got hurt, and is still out week to week. The hope from all i read is he can become a 3rd liner, but at least a solid 4th. That seem to be the verdict on the majority of current pick ups and developing pros. How many guys at this level can one NHL team have?

Year 4. Forget it. There was only one guy here with NHL talent and he's already there.

McEneny is progressing very well, but with Vancouver's current crop, he will be an AHL player for a while yet. Whether he is a late bloomer and will get better and better remains to be seen.

Maybe with a year or two of experience Carcone gets stronger and learns the nuances of the game better, but right now his promise is highly questionable. Telling us he did so well in preseason and now sucks must be because Green is not developing him is ridiculous. he skated in pre-season against guys of his similar ilk and pros who go through the motions to get their legs and timing down. How many kids look good in preseason and are never heard from again as soon as the next young crop comes through? Valk was the best example before Carcone. Everyone loves to hitch their wagons to the upstart, undersized, undrafted rookie making a sudden splash. Most drown at the higher competition level. Valk has had 3 seasons to find success in the AHL. He's skating on what serves as Utica's top line. Given the talent of past seasons he would be centering Archi and someone like LaBate on the 3rd line and maybe putting up even better numbers. Curtis will not be an NHL player. If Carcone can reach the same level in three seasons he becomes a feel good story just like Curtis.

The Comets are not a talented team. Do you think Archibald is now NHL ready? Again? The Canucks released him. The Comets signed him. Last season the Comets rescued him off an ECHL roster. Now he's the second leading scorer on the team, but who else is there? It's AHL All-Star bust Grenier, ECHL grad feel good story Valk, and plug become star feelgood story Archibald.

The entire rest of this team has every opportunity to reach for the ring and make a huge splash. The floor is open to anyone ready to take center stage. Jake Virtanen is a #6 overall pick and has skated on every line except Cassels'. I suppose he could try that as well. No one has clipped his wings. he is free to show any offensive talent he possesses. This situation is ideal for him to take the reins and tear things up. Is he doing it? not even close. he doesn't need better line mates. He needs to make any line mates look real gud by displaying the skills he supposedly has that made him that desirable in the draft.
He's done having excuses. It's getting time for him to put up or shut up. I agree he needs this season and maybe all of next to be ready, but Shinkaruk with one arm, a much smaller weak body, and no knowledge of how to play at this level scored 16 goals in his rookie season. Jake should be expected to at least match that. He's played 33 games and has 33 more to go until the season ends. A guy with his credentials should be highly capable of 16 goals in 66 AHL games and most in Vancouver would pronounce that as proof he is a bust.

This is my final post on this subject. Like him or not, Green has worked miracles with the talent he received in 3 of his 4 seasons. As a coach that makes him very good. Whether you want to give him any credit for the development of players going forward form when they arrive is up to you. i know where i stand on the topic. I know what he does with his players. How many one on ones he has with them. They like playing for him. He gets what they have and sometimes much more. If you can't accept that what he gets may just be all they have to offer, I can't agree with you. I haven't seen any great talent go down the drain due to his lack of work and coaching with any players.
They get ice and more ice and more ice. He gives them all the rope they need to hang themselves or show him they don't need the rope. He turns the mistakes around one by one and you can see them disappear and the better player emerge. Some just don't seem to have the ability to fix it (Sautner) and some just appear too bull headed to make an adjustment (Jensen at first and Pedan now) and some lack the actual hockey IQ to put it to work in game conditions (very possibly Virtanen). Then there are those that no coaching can help because the skills are just not there for this level of play just like some good players here just don't have the talent to play at the NHL level. All the ice time in the world with the best line arrangements won't matter. The greatest coach in the world does not change that either, if any of us even know who that is. No coach is loved by all. They all have their fans and haters.

I'm a believer in what Travis Green does and that makes me a target for those who are not. Therefore this is it for me on Travis Green and the philosophy of player development. You won't alter my opinion and I won't alter yours. Enough head banging on brick walls. My head is getting sore. I conclude with, "You can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear." "You can't make chicken salad out of chicken ****." "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink." "You can't make mountains out of mole hills."

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
This is my final post on this subject. Like him or not, Green has worked miracles with the talent he received in 3 of his 4 seasons. As a coach that makes him very good. Whether you want to give him any credit for the development of players going forward form when they arrive is up to you. i know where i stand on the topic. I know what he does with his players. How many one on ones he has with them. They like playing for him. He gets what they have and sometimes much more. If you can't accept that what he gets may just be all they have to offer, I can't agree with you. I haven't seen any great talent go down the drain due to his lack of work and coaching with any players.

Not quoting the entire post because lets be honest, your post is pretty much the same as the post before that i broke down and quoted (well same points more or less).

Before i continue, i got one question... do you watch any games outside of Comet games and do you watch any 'nucks game?

Anyways if you want to say 4th/5th/6th round picks into something, Green has also worked with quite a few former first rounders. Like i said many times before, the only player on the 'nucks roster that spent any time in Utica is Gaunce and honestly he probably should still be in Utica.

I've agreed with you before that Green does a fine job when it comes to winning without much talent. There is no argument there (tho you keep bringing it up every post even when no one disagrees with that fact...). The problem is he isn't a NHL coach right now and he cares more about being an NHL coach then doing his job (which includes developing players). In 3.5 of his 4 years as head coach in Utica, he pretty much has put nothing but AHLers in top 6 roles (exception being last year). The only time he puts prospects in those roles is when they are the best option.

Also like i pointed out to you in my last post, there are other teams that will put prospects in a position to succeed even in their rookie year. Green never puts a rookie in a top 6 role even tho HS was likely the most skilled offensive player he has.

Also before you keep giving Green credit for Valk, remember Valk was NOT on the roster last year until the team got depleted. He clearly has more offensive skill than the players who was ahead of him last year. So Green gets credit for getting the most out of a player but you ignore the fact that he cut Valk from the team last year? Or at least most of the year, he still scored 6 points in 12 games last year so its not like this is out of no where. Valk has been an offensive player his entire career so he probably should've been on Utica's team last year.

McEneny was also cut last yea so if you want to give Green credit for developing him... why was he in the ECHL last year? What does Green do in regard to ECHL development? He isn't the coach there and i doubt he has time to go there and work with someone considering his job in Utica is a full time job. It seems like you're fast to give him credit but you ignore the fact that he might not be the best judge of talent.

In another word, sure it looks like Green does a lot with a little amount of talent but sometime you got to question rather the lack of talent is just because of management or the fact Green isn't exactly the best judge of talent and often mis-use some of the talent he has. Jensen being another example. Same with HS in his rookie year (if HS was in the Red Wings system, i guarantee he would spend most of his time in the top 6 even as a rookie).

Again i'm not saying Green has a ton of talent to work with nor is management not at fault/makes horrible moves. Fact is there are examples of Green also not using the talents he has.

Again Valk has been part of the organization for 3 years now. He scored 91/92 points in his last 2 Jr. season and has been a PPG player in the ECHL for the last 2 seasons. So its not like he's a random player Green found on the street but someone he has known about for 3 years and cut him for 2 before finally giving him a chance this year. You view that as a positive for Green, i view that as a negative because it took him 3 tries before giving Valk his chance. Also before you start talking about Valk being a prospect, he won';t be protected from Vegas draft so there's a chance he gets drafted, he also will need to clear waivers next year. I doubt either happens but his time (at least last year) spent in the ECHL was really a waste and that's Green's fault. If you watched Kalamazoo play, Valk was pretty much the same player for the last 2 seasons so its not like he suddenly got a lot better (sure there are little improvements but nothing that moves him from a cut player to a 1C).

For McEneny, this is the 3rd year that Green saw him. He signed his ELC and played 1 game in '13-14. Now there's no debate that he wasn't ready then so he spent another year in the OHL (where he developed and got a lot better). Last year i don't know why he didn't make the team. I actually had him pencil'd in as 3rd pairing at the start of the year. He did fine in Kalamazoo and there's little doubt he was BETTER than Negrin yet Green used Negrin over him all year long. Again like i said, this isn't a player that Green "found" but it was someone who has an ELC and was an option last year. Instead last year he spent most of the year in the ECHL and part of the year being the extra D. If you want to say he got better because he was in the ECHL, why should Green get credit for this instead of the ECHL coach?

As far as your other comments goes, if you read my post, you'll see the point i was making about some of the players like Grenier/Freisen/etc. They went from "prospects" to vet over the course of 4 years. Players don't spend 4 years developing in the AHL, they need to clear waivers after 3 so once you reach a certain point, they are no longer classified as a prospect. The cut-off depends on how you define it so it could be different for the person or the player but in the case of the players i listed, they turned from prospect to AHLer during the course of the 4 seasons. Archibald is in the same boat. Was he a prospect at one point? Yes but now he's 26 so its hard to still classify him as a prospect anymore. For me, the cut-off is waiver status. If someone needs to clear waivers, i don't consider them a prospect anymore (tho Virtanen could be an exception to this because he'll be 22 when he needs to clear waivers). Grenier is 24 but he also cleared waivers this year. Valk actually needs to clear waivers next year. I'm not entirely sure on McEneny's status but i think he might need to clear waivers next year too (not sure if that 1 game he played counts as a full year).

As far as your extreme example with Cassels, i never suggested him as a 1C but i did say he probably should at least be playing on the 3rd line right now. Instead he finds 3 AHL Cs in front of him (2 of if you want to consider Valk a prospect). I would rather have Cassels ahead of Hamilton on the depth chart. Its something minor but its still an example of Green's agenda being trying to get a coaching gag >>> development. Since the entire purpose of moving from Chicago -> Utica was to help with development, Green's mentality makes the move pointless because he uses Vets more often than not unless the prospect is clearly a better player (and in some cases even if they are, he might not see that).

Also like i said, if Green was a NHL coach already, then i got no problem with his coaching style since there's more focus on winning @ the NHL level. At AHL/ECHL there's more focus on development and that's the issue with Green. He focus/commits entirely on winning while often ignoring the developmental side (or at best he just puts the prospect in a 3rd/4th line role so he can say that player played). Like i said, if you look at the 4 seasons he has been coach, he has rarely put any prospect in top 6 roles despite the fact he has worked with quite a few 1st round picks/PPG players.

Carcone is going to be the next Valk in that he'll suddenly start producing when he gets put into a top 6 role. No he probably doesn't deserve it right now but playing him on the 4th line is probably worst for his development then just sending him to the ECHL for the year. The same can be said about Cassels. He played on the 4th line last year and again this year. Honestly i would rather he play on the 1st line in the ECHL last year than playing on the 4th line in Utica. At the very least, those who went to the ECHL and came back, seem to be given a better role the next season (see Valk/McEneny).

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Not quoting the entire post because lets be honest, your post is pretty much the same as the post before that i broke down and quoted (well same points more or less).

Before i continue, i got one question... do you watch any games outside of Comet games and do you watch any 'nucks game?

Anyways if you want to say 4th/5th/6th round picks into something, Green has also worked with quite a few former first rounders. Like i said many times before, the only player on the 'nucks roster that spent any time in Utica is Gaunce and honestly he probably should still be in Utica.

I've agreed with you before that Green does a fine job when it comes to winning without much talent. There is no argument there (tho you keep bringing it up every post even when no one disagrees with that fact...). The problem is he isn't a NHL coach right now and he cares more about being an NHL coach then doing his job (which includes developing players). In 3.5 of his 4 years as head coach in Utica, he pretty much has put nothing but AHLers in top 6 roles (exception being last year). The only time he puts prospects in those roles is when they are the best option.

Also like i pointed out to you in my last post, there are other teams that will put prospects in a position to succeed even in their rookie year. Green never puts a rookie in a top 6 role even tho HS was likely the most skilled offensive player he has.

Also before you keep giving Green credit for Valk, remember Valk was NOT on the roster last year until the team got depleted. He clearly has more offensive skill than the players who was ahead of him last year. So Green gets credit for getting the most out of a player but you ignore the fact that he cut Valk from the team last year? Or at least most of the year, he still scored 6 points in 12 games last year so its not like this is out of no where. Valk has been an offensive player his entire career so he probably should've been on Utica's team last year.

McEneny was also cut last yea so if you want to give Green credit for developing him... why was he in the ECHL last year? What does Green do in regard to ECHL development? He isn't the coach there and i doubt he has time to go there and work with someone considering his job in Utica is a full time job. It seems like you're fast to give him credit but you ignore the fact that he might not be the best judge of talent.

In another word, sure it looks like Green does a lot with a little amount of talent but sometime you got to question rather the lack of talent is just because of management or the fact Green isn't exactly the best judge of talent and often mis-use some of the talent he has. Jensen being another example. Same with HS in his rookie year (if HS was in the Red Wings system, i guarantee he would spend most of his time in the top 6 even as a rookie).

Again i'm not saying Green has a ton of talent to work with nor is management not at fault/makes horrible moves. Fact is there are examples of Green also not using the talents he has.

Again Valk has been part of the organization for 3 years now. He scored 91/92 points in his last 2 Jr. season and has been a PPG player in the ECHL for the last 2 seasons. So its not like he's a random player Green found on the street but someone he has known about for 3 years and cut him for 2 before finally giving him a chance this year. You view that as a positive for Green, i view that as a negative because it took him 3 tries before giving Valk his chance. Also before you start talking about Valk being a prospect, he won';t be protected from Vegas draft so there's a chance he gets drafted, he also will need to clear waivers next year. I doubt either happens but his time (at least last year) spent in the ECHL was really a waste and that's Green's fault. If you watched Kalamazoo play, Valk was pretty much the same player for the last 2 seasons so its not like he suddenly got a lot better (sure there are little improvements but nothing that moves him from a cut player to a 1C).

For McEneny, this is the 3rd year that Green saw him. He signed his ELC and played 1 game in '13-14. Now there's no debate that he wasn't ready then so he spent another year in the OHL (where he developed and got a lot better). Last year i don't know why he didn't make the team. I actually had him pencil'd in as 3rd pairing at the start of the year. He did fine in Kalamazoo and there's little doubt he was BETTER than Negrin yet Green used Negrin over him all year long. Again like i said, this isn't a player that Green "found" but it was someone who has an ELC and was an option last year. Instead last year he spent most of the year in the ECHL and part of the year being the extra D. If you want to say he got better because he was in the ECHL, why should Green get credit for this instead of the ECHL coach?

As far as your other comments goes, if you read my post, you'll see the point i was making about some of the players like Grenier/Freisen/etc. They went from "prospects" to vet over the course of 4 years. Players don't spend 4 years developing in the AHL, they need to clear waivers after 3 so once you reach a certain point, they are no longer classified as a prospect. The cut-off depends on how you define it so it could be different for the person or the player but in the case of the players i listed, they turned from prospect to AHLer during the course of the 4 seasons. Archibald is in the same boat. Was he a prospect at one point? Yes but now he's 26 so its hard to still classify him as a prospect anymore. For me, the cut-off is waiver status. If someone needs to clear waivers, i don't consider them a prospect anymore (tho Virtanen could be an exception to this because he'll be 22 when he needs to clear waivers). Grenier is 24 but he also cleared waivers this year. Valk actually needs to clear waivers next year. I'm not entirely sure on McEneny's status but i think he might need to clear waivers next year too (not sure if that 1 game he played counts as a full year).

As far as your extreme example with Cassels, i never suggested him as a 1C but i did say he probably should at least be playing on the 3rd line right now. Instead he finds 3 AHL Cs in front of him (2 of if you want to consider Valk a prospect). I would rather have Cassels ahead of Hamilton on the depth chart. Its something minor but its still an example of Green's agenda being trying to get a coaching gag >>> development. Since the entire purpose of moving from Chicago -> Utica was to help with development, Green's mentality makes the move pointless because he uses Vets more often than not unless the prospect is clearly a better player (and in some cases even if they are, he might not see that).

Also like i said, if Green was a NHL coach already, then i got no problem with his coaching style since there's more focus on winning @ the NHL level. At AHL/ECHL there's more focus on development and that's the issue with Green. He focus/commits entirely on winning while often ignoring the developmental side (or at best he just puts the prospect in a 3rd/4th line role so he can say that player played). Like i said, if you look at the 4 seasons he has been coach, he has rarely put any prospect in top 6 roles despite the fact he has worked with quite a few 1st round picks/PPG players.

Carcone is going to be the next Valk in that he'll suddenly start producing when he gets put into a top 6 role. No he probably doesn't deserve it right now but playing him on the 4th line is probably worst for his development then just sending him to the ECHL for the year. The same can be said about Cassels. He played on the 4th line last year and again this year. Honestly i would rather he play on the 1st line in the ECHL last year than playing on the 4th line in Utica. At the very least, those who went to the ECHL and came back, seem to be given a better role the next season (see Valk/McEneny).

Too many holes, too many passengers, too little skill, too little strength, not enough bloody anything.

Keep spewing.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
To me it is pretty hard to develop players with the gaping holes in the comets lineup the past two seasons.

Having no centers here to control the puck, win faceoffs and set up teammates is a must in this league. And the Comets have had exactly zero for a season and a half.

This team spends way too much time losing faceoffs and chasing the puck around.

Having no playmaking centers is almost as bad as having weak goaltending. The team is simply never going to go anywhere without centers. I won't even get into the lack of scoring wingers...

Untill Green has a properly constructed team, it is hard to know what he is capable of.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Don't follow the rest of the AHL as closely as the Comets, but are they any different than most teams in the AHL, particularly those in the North Division?.....seems to me a lot of teams with "B" or "C" level prospects and a sprinkle of AHL vets.

None of these teams seem to be offensive juggernauts.....and all struggle when hit by injuries and call-ups....are things that much different or worse in Utica?

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A correction and an opinion.

Valk is on an AHL contract and has been for the past three seasons. He is not subject to the Vegas expansion draft or to waivers. He is essentially a free agent any team willing to give him an NHL contract can go ahead and sign.

Carcone should not be compared to Valk as they are not close to being the same player outside of the fact that they are both undersized. Valk is skilled and lets the play come to him. Carcone runs around the ice like Wile E. Coyote while accomplishing nothing. He is not an AHL player and I have no idea why he was signed to a NHL contract. I am very suspect of kids who put up big numbers in their final season in The Q against younger competition and were un-drafted. They rarely ever produce in the AHL against bigger and older players. He belongs in Alaska and not in Utica.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Don't follow the rest of the AHL as closely as the Comets, but are they any different than most teams in the AHL, particularly those in the North Division?.....seems to me a lot of teams with "B" or "C" level prospects and a sprinkle of AHL vets.

None of these teams seem to be offensive juggernauts.....and all struggle when hit by injuries and call-ups....are things that much different or worse in Utica?

Almost every team that comes in to town has an obvious #1line. And there are teams with 3 solid lines. Lehigh Valley, Providence, Wilkes-Barre all have loaded teams. Not sure how the west and mid west teams are as we do not see them.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

Before I continue, I got one question... do you watch any games outside of Comet games and do you watch any 'nucks game?

read my next post

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Before I continue, I got one question... do you watch any games outside of Comet games and do you watch any 'nucks game?

I'll answer your question and then you do me the decency of answering mine.

What the Hell does this question imply? There is something you have in mind here and I'm not sure I like it.

I have been watching hockey voraciously live and on the TV since 1959. Those early years required more radio than TV because there were only 3 TV stations in most cities outside of the huge metro areas like NYC, Chicago, LA, etc. and also hockey was not carried on network TV and there was no cable.

As time progressed the tech world expanded and games on TV became possible. We could get HNIC on Wednesday and Saturday by foiling the rabbit ears, twisting them just right, and sometimes having to hold on to them to keep the picture.

Time moves forward and Buffalo gets a team and we can pick up the Buffalo and Kingston channels in the higher floored dorm rooms. More games to watch.

Then the invent of cable and a whole new world of hockey opened up. I now get every Buffalo,game and almost all of the Rangers, Islanders, and Devils. MSNBC has a vast weekly schedule and broadcasts every Playoff game. NBC does a weekend game of the week after college football ends. I watch lots of hockey. As to the Canucks I get every game they play against the 4 teams I listed here. Until Rogers ruined HNIC I used to get it every Saturday night out od Kingston which is of my cable channels and that included the Canucks when they were on the late game from out west or played Toronto or Montreal in the east.

I also played for 43 years at various levels including the NCAA and a couple cups of coffee and have played with and against many pros all the way to the NHL as well as a couple three NHL head coaches. So if you are implying I don't know this game nor understand the purpose of farm teams and how they are run or why, think again.

Now my question. How old are you and what is your hockey background that makes you so all knowing?

Let me also set you straight so in the future you know what you are talking about.
You claim Green always plays the vets in the top 6 and the kids are always relegated to bottom six roles.

2013-14 - the kids are Grenier and Jensen. They were top 6 forwards all season with Pelletier and Ferriero. Lain, Archibald, Mallet, Marshall, Kennedy, Welsh, Friesen, and Stuart filling out all the other spots. There was a host of players moving in and out all season long, but those top 4 guys pretty much remained in tact. Wrong as to 2013-14 top line play 2013.

2014-15 - the kids are Shinkaruk, Kenins, and Gaunce, but Jensen and Grenier still count as it's only their second seasons.

Until Christmas the lines were as usual all over the place. Thye settle into Shinkaruk/O'Reilly/Jensen, Kenins/Friesen/Jensen until Baertschi and Conacher arrive for an intended purpose, to propel a team sailing along to the the top tier and challenge for the Cup. This is a decision confirmed in Vancouver between Benning, Linden, and Henning. Baertschi by definition is still a prospect. The top lines become Shinkaruk/O'Reilly/Grenier and Baertschi/Friesen/ Conacher. When Baertschi is called up Gaunce and Kenins work in and out in his spot. As the playoffs progressed Shinkaruk was out of his comfort level and Jensen Moved into that role for the remainder of the playoffs. The other 2 lines became Shinkaruk/Acton/DeFazio (Acton 1G was an excellent veteran set up man for two goal scorers Shink 4G and DeFazio 2G was the teams' top goal scorer) and Gaunce/Hamilton/Zalewski as good a line as the league produced at shutting down other top lines as well as generating offense of their own (Gaunce with 4, Hamilton 2, and Z 1). Wrong as to 2014-15 top line play.

2015-16 - The new kids are Cassels, LaBate, and Subban, but all eyes are on Gaunce and Shinkaruk as they are supposed to be the men, but we can't forget Jensen and grenier are still there in year 3. The early season settles into with Shinkaruk/Vey Grenier and Gaunce/Friesen/Jensen. Vey goes up and the 1st line evolves into Shinkaruk/Gaunce/Grenier and the next 3 lines go all over the place with injuries, callups and PTOs, but that gets blown up by the trades of Jensen and Shinkaruk and the call up of Gaunce. The rest of the season is a ****fest with the eventual 1st units becoming Kenins/Friesen/Archibald and Higgins/Hensick/LaBate, LaBate/Hensick/ Grenier, and many more. Every game became a new circus.

2015-16 started dominated by kids in the top 6 and then it all went to Hell and lines were a scrambled mess of everything and everybody. New guys in on a daily basis and holes got filled. Guys double shifted and lines changed throughout the games. Not sure they even had a first or second line on many nights.

2016-17- This season began with Carcone, LaBate, Kunyk, Roy, Rendulic, Hulak, Megna, and Chaput as newcomers. Megna was gone after 4 games and Chaput after 10. Neither has returned. No play making centers were acquired for the remainder of the season to the current date. The actual Vancouver newcomers are McEneny on D and Carcone and LaPlante at forward. Subban, Sautner, Cassels, and LaBate are in their second seasons.

Let's clear some of this up right now. Sauntner is bad and LaPlante is worse. La Plante has been sent to Alaska twice and recalled due to manpower shortages. He's there now and Sautner should join him. That leaves McEneny who is finally establishing that he can play here. That's good because I always thought he had it in him but he played too scared to err and as result wasn't much use. He may be the type of late developer lots of D-men are.

Say what you think about Cassels, but this kid is not effective in any way at this level. Green is sticking with hinm and has told the comunitry through the press and radio interviews that we have to be patien with him as he considers this Cole's first real pro season as last year he was rehabbing a shoulder much like Shinkaruk did for much of his first season (Another point you have conveniently abandoned in your claim he should have been first line right off the bat his first season. The kid had trouble even holding his stick in two hands when leaned on or stick slashed. You don't want to know those facts.), getting his conditioning back, and learning to play against bigger, stronger, more physical opposition. He even gave him time on the wing to ease the pressure at center. Right now he looks like fresh meat with a little bit better set of wheels, but his puck control, passing, and corner work is lacking to be polite.
LaBate was playing very well and was in the top 6, but was recalled on11/21 and not returned until 12/11, and then was injured on 12/31 and hasn't played a game since. Hard to put him in the top 6 while he's injured.

Subban is an All-Star and gets steady ice time and PP time as well. He is being managed as best as possible.

Carcone is no better than a 4th liner and that's where he currently is. He was higher up on Valk and Pelletier's lines but could not play with either unit. He is working hard with Cassels and Rendulic, but accomplishing nothing. They get the same shifts as everyone else and play against the opponent's weakest lines and cannot score. Even more difficult to accept is they can't get out of their own end when pressed. Not that Pelletier's line is lots better.

Archibald/Valk/Grenier
Kunyk/Pelletier/Virtanen
Carcone/Cassels/Rendulic
Bancks/Hamilton/Zalewski

You arrange the lines to fit your wishes and the team would be no better.
Too many holes, too many passengers, too little skill, too little strength, not enough bloody anything. Thank you and good night from the east coast.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
A lot of sarcasm and misrepresentation. A lot of strawmen and tilting at windmills.

Yeah, we're all *******s. You're the only smart guy here. We get it.

I have asked a pretty simple question and not received any answer.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
A lot of sarcasm and misrepresentation. A lot of strawmen and tilting at windmills.

Yeah, we're all *******s. You're the only smart guy here. We get it.

I have asked a pretty simple question and not received any answer.

Sorry if I offended you. Your posts have been respectful, but I was buried under a small avalanche of pretty pointed posts. Some from guys stating false facts.

I never said Green was great at developing prospects. I have maintained he has done a good job with what he he was handed. I also maintianhe is a very good coach.

As to the development side. Every player he has taken on has improved his play to a much higher level than when he arrived. Many of these guys became good two way players. You can't fight that fact. The Canucks have not made a serious effort to elevate any of these guys to their level.

Benning has a programmed idea of his hockey player and they don't meet his ideal. I am not sure the bulk were NHL material in the first place. I see what every visiting team brings in to our building and most have a couple guys unlike anything to come through Utica. The best young players acquired by the Canucks have been kept by the Canucks. The lesser guys have ended up here and most have turned out much better than when they arrived, but were traded or never given a shot. When they went elsewhere contrary to what I'm reading most haven't fared much better. What guys left here and became solid NHL players? To date absolutely 0. Jensen had 7 games with the Rangers this season. Corrado has the same role in Toronto he had in Vancouver, eating popcorn in the press box. Clendening was in and and out in a flash. Can't really say he was a Comets prospect. He came in at the end like Baertschi and Conacher for the playoff run, 11 reg season GP and 23 Playoff GP and then traded. He has been with 5 NHL franchises in total:

Chicago Black Hawks - 4GP
Vancouver Canucks - 17 GP
Pittsburgh Penguins - 9GP
Edmonton Oilers - 20GP
New York Rangers - 18GP
He is currently with New York as a #7/8 D-man.

Draft positions aside the # of guys taken at their spots who turn into solid NHL players is slim. Why is it so hard to believe these guys just didn't quite have it. You have a long history of getting little from your picks. Why is it now so shocking that the lesser valued guys are just short on what it takes for the last big step.

Just because you now have a farm team won't automatically produce a string of NHL players. Yet 3 guys expected to be on the farm are playing there right now. If this was a good NHL team they would have been here before joining the big club. Forsling, McCann, and Virtanen would also have been here first. Demko, Subban, Boeser, Gaudette, Juolevi, and Brisebois are all in the wings for next season. This is what the other AHL teams skate out with at the start of each season. Not Carcone, Sautner, LaPLante, LaBate, Cassels, Moynihan, Stewart, Blomstrand, Mallet, etc. They may have guys like this but they are not their prime AHL prospects.

The Comets had that little group once in their second season with Kenins, Gaunce, and Shink. None were blue chippers. One made it, at least for a while, a second got two good shots at it and went home after being released, and the 3rd who was progressing as you'd like at nearly a PPG was traded.

The other 3 seasons didn't bring in those kind of kids. Grenier and Jensen were the next best. They managed to become AHL All-Stars which isn't too shabby. Shinkaruk also earned such honors. The three All-Stars would have helped to form a much better veteran core than some of the bums they have instead. Nothing of great value has come from the trades of Shink or Jensen.

I did not call you ********. I did lay out in detail my rationale. It was picked apart by some, one in particular, with cherry picking, false facts, and irrational thinking. Again this is my train of thought and it is not gospel, but it's the ground I stand on watching these guys nearly every day of the week. I'm not stat watching or looking at a highlite clip that makes guys appear to be doing wonderfully, but doesn't show their other 20 minutes on the ice or take into consideration it's the guys's 3rd goal, in 35 GP.

Is Valk it? Based on how you see it, I guess so. Put the first 2 seasons' opening lineups on the ice and he's still not there. He had no contract. The Canucks wanted their new guys, the returning ELCs got their spots, the RFAs were signed, and the 6 vets were acquired. Valk would always be the odd man out. The group brought in this year was trey weak. He played fairly well brought up and inserted into the ****storm the previous year and there was now room. Megna and Chaput went up. Labate went up. A couple guys got hurt and instead of the wings as a backup he rolled right into the daily line up. It didn't take long to realize a guy starting his 3rd year at the pro level was way ahead and much more dependable than the weak new guys. The team had no centers. This team was tailor made for his feel good story and he took every possible inch of the advantage. Let's face facts. He is not a #1 center any more than Archibald is a top scoring wing on a first line, but for this team they are and now joined with Grenier they are holding their own as the #1 line game after game. God, bless them.

Last edited:

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
While the hand he has been dealt with is poor, it's simply not acceptable for the parent club to have this few players (aka none) develop under this coach in Utica. It's the rare coach who gets a properly constructed team handed to him, and in that case, it's pretty hard to **** it completely up. Like it or not, coaches are judged on what they do with what they are given.

Until we see Green develop a worthwhile player, I don't see why we as Canucks fans shouldn't be cautious and skeptical of him. I'm glad he makes the most of AHL vets and borderline ECHL players. But why should I as a Canucks fan be happy with a guy giving AHL grinders a chance and a half to be successful?

There's a lot of coaches out there who could get a lot out of the Mike Zalewski's and Alexandre Grenier's of this league - Green is by no means a miracle worker when it comes to them. They're AHL players and that's it.

I personally don't accept the excuses for why Hutton didn't get playing time when every other college player would have been given a chance to prove himself, nor why Bachman's one-off hot streak (which hasn't been a hot-streak for the last 3 games...) seems to now give him the opportunity to still "rotate" for 2 out of 3 games as a starter. If that's the rotation, it's messed up.

I'm not going to be sorry for wanting a development coach in Utica who can develop young players.

*I completely respect everyone's contributions on the players in this forum. It's SO appreciated. But I don't see how critiquing Green is an offense to Utica. The whole organization, Benning downwards to Green can do better.

Last edited:

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
While the hand he has been dealt with is poor, it's simply not acceptable for the parent club to have this few players (aka none) develop under this coach in Utica. It's the rare coach who gets a properly constructed team handed to him, and in that case, it's pretty hard to **** it completely up. Like it or not, coaches are judged on what they do with what they are given.

Until we see Green develop a worthwhile player, I don't see why we as Canucks fans shouldn't be cautious and skeptical of him. I'm glad he makes the most of AHL vets and borderline ECHL players. But why should I as a Canucks fan be happy with a guy giving AHL grinders a chance and a half to be successful?

There's a lot of coaches out there who could get a lot out of the Mike Zalewski's and Alexandre Grenier's of this league - Green is by no means a miracle worker when it comes to them. They're AHL players and that's it.

I personally don't accept the excuses for why Hutton didn't get playing time when every other college player would have been given a chance to prove himself, nor why Bachman's one-off hot streak (which hasn't been a hot-streak for the last 3 games...) seems to now give him the opportunity to still "rotate" for 2 out of 3 games as a starter. If that's the rotation, it's messed up.

I'm not going to be sorry for wanting a development coach in Utica who can develop young players.

*I completely respect everyone's contributions on the players in this forum. It's SO appreciated. But I don't see how critiquing Green is an offense to Utica. The whole organization, Benning downwards to Green can do better.

Greens coaching style demands a "defence" first approach. He is not one to let players slack off on their defensive assignments.

Because of this it does cost some offense... But this team has had very few gifted goal scorers in its first 3.5 years.

I suppose a coaching change could bring in a offensive coach, more goals and also more goals against.

But for me the way Green has this team playing is about the only way it can compete both this and last season.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
. Also before you start talking about Valk being a prospect, he won';t be protected from Vegas draft so there's a chance he gets drafted, he also will need to clear waivers next year. I doubt either happens but his time (at least last year) spent in the ECHL was really a waste and that's Green's fault. If you watched Kalamazoo play, Valk was pretty much the same player for the last 2 seasons so its not like he suddenly got a lot better (sure there are little improvements but nothing that moves him from a cut player to a 1C).

:amazed: There is NO chance of that happening. None.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
I think part of the problem in Utica is that in the last 7 NHL drafts, we have had 2 second round picks (Demko and Mallet). We have had 4 late 1st rounders (McCann, Shinkaruk, Gaunce and Jensen) and for at least 3 of them, while they were in Utica they were core players. McCann was traded or he would have been in Utica this season. But your late 1st round and 2nd round picks are the guys you expect to form the core of your AHL squad.

Benning and Gillis both traded away too many 2nd round picks.

It's also no secret that a deep and talented NHL squad makes for a deeper AHL squad. The lack of depth on the Canucks obviously impacts the lack of talent in Utica. Coming into this season, it was expected that Dorset, Hansen and Rodin would be regulars in the Canucks line up and they were hopeful that Virtanen would be there as well. They also brought in Skille for depth. That would have put Megna, Chaput and possibly Gaunce all in Utica. But when Hansen, Rodin and Dorsett went down and Virtanen wasn't good enough, Megna, Chaput and Gaunce became every day players with the Canucks.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

I challenge you to find a quote in which I advocated Green to be the Vancouver coach. That's coming form your end. He will be an NHL coach. After only 3 and 1/2 years coaching at the pro level it's understandable it hasn't happened yet.

The work he has done with the likes of Jensen, Zalewski, and Grenier was not miraculous and i didn't say it was. I said what he has done with the rest of the roster on the teams he has had besides the 2014-15 roster has been nothing short of miraculous.

I'll post the less than good roster players he's got playoff contention from. Got to go right now.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
Came to see some Gaunce reaction....

Man there is a lot of essays being written in this thread.

Probably good intelligent hockey talk too... I just don't have the attenti.... That dog has a puffy tail! Here Puff... here Puff...

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Couldn't Vegas just sign him after the trade deadline? Why would they waste a draft choice on him?

edit: I'm agreeing with you.

As UticaHockey has already posted, Valk is on an AHL contract. Vancouver can't expose him nor protect him as he is not under contract to the Canucks. He is one of the hundreds of minor league and foreign players open to the desires of any hockey team willing to work with his agent and sign him up.

This season could be the best thing to ever happen for Curtis. He has some credentials to maybe make him of interest to someone and maybe not. The Comets are not talented. The good hockey people know that. He is 5'9". He is a 3rd year pro and this is his first full AHL season.
I say anything he can get, the more power to him. He's paid some decent dues and his pay checks have been light.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Greens coaching style demands a "defence" first approach. He is not one to let players slack off on their defensive assignments.

Because of this it does cost some offense... But this team has had very few gifted goal scorers in its first 3.5 years.

I suppose a coaching change could bring in a offensive coach, more goals and also more goals against.

But for me the way Green has this team playing is about the only way it can compete both this and last season.

"But for me the way Green has this team playing is about the only way it can compete both this and last season."

Which is why I contend he is a good coach. He can get every guy to buy into a system and then exert the incredible effort necessary to produce that effort night after night for a whole season and actually do it correctly. His system is not easy to carry out for that length of time. Most can do it sporadically, but every game not so much. It is a high pressure, 200 ft game every shift, and it's exhausting. It beats a body up.

What has it accomplished? It produced the team with the second best record in the AHL over the 2nd half of his first season. That was after starting out as the worst team in the league and nearly setting an AHL record for futility. They finished just missing out on the playoffs.

Last season he guided not much more than a pickup team into the playoffs.

This season he has a very unskilled team in a playoff spot at the halfway mark.

The year he had some talent, he finished with the second best record overall in the AHL and finished second in the Calder Cup playoffs.

I like what he's done and imo he has shown that he can coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad