The Utica Comets Thread | Part 34

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
He has been a very good KHL D-man and is in line to make a big pay raise. To come over here the Canucks will likely have to match those big bucks with no proof he can make it here. He can demand a one way and state he will not play in the AHL. There is a lot more to his playing here than just signing him up and then doing what they want to be adjudicate he has developed sufficiently to play in the NHL.

He'd actually be potentially a pretty good bargain on an entry-level contract, and seems to me the Canucks don't have a lot of options on the blueline....they're likely losing Bartkowski; Hamhuis and Weber, so unless there's a promising UFA on the horizon on July 1st, they're going to have to give guys like Pedan and Tryamkin a long look in training camp...and that's assuming they sign Philip Larsen out the KHL as well.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
He'd actually be potentially a pretty good bargain on an entry-level contract, and seems to me the Canucks don't have a lot of options on the blueline....they're likely losing Bartkowski; Hamhuis and Weber, so unless there's a promising UFA on the horizon on July 1st, they're going to have to give guys like Pedan and Tryamkin a long look in training camp...and that's assuming they sign Philip Larsen out the KHL as well.

So we are to assume that the Canucks would be getting younger, faster, tougher and challenging for a playoff spot should they land all of these new acquisitions? This management team smokes some very elite stuff.

Incidentally, is losing and having to replace Bartkowski and Weber a negative?
Those famous performing bears in Russia could probably do that. They are big, strong, tough, and fast and I'm sure a couple of them are young. Real serious meat if not potatoes.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
So we are to assume that the Canucks are getting younger, faster, tougher and challenging for a playoff spot with their new additions? This management team smokes some very elite stuff.

Unfortunately it's a testament to how bad this blueline corps in VanCity really is....Edler is pushing 30, and Tanev is a decent d-man who brings no offense, and Ben Hutton basically fell out of the sky...others are all interchangeable, so there's always gong to be a high turnover.....until this team starts developing some quality d-men in their system, it's going to be the same story for the big club and Utica every year.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Unfortunately it's a testament to how bad this blueline corps in VanCity really is....Edler is pushing 30, and Tanev is a decent d-man who brings no offense, and Ben Hutton basically fell out of the sky...others are all interchangeable, so there's always gong to be a high turnover.....until this team starts developing some quality d-men in their system, it's going to be the same story for the big club and Utica every year.

If you are correct with the draft statement (and I totally agree that's the path they need to be taking) how can we explain Benning stating the Canucks are not interested in draft picks at the deadline. He's been freely trading them save his 2016 1st and that might not be safe either by draft day. He wants players who can step right in, kinda like Granlund and Larsen. This is going to get a whole lot worse before it even starts to get better.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam

The GM could hunt down the dmen in the league from BC that love the city, wait for their FA year and sort it. It would actually be pretty smart.

OH WAIT. Forget it. Our GM would rather have Linden ****ing Vey.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
So we are to assume that the Canucks would be getting younger, faster, tougher and challenging for a playoff spot should they land all of these new acquisitions? This management team smokes some very elite stuff.

Incidentally, is losing and having to replace Bartkowski and Weber a negative? No, certainly not.

Those famous performing bears in Russia could probably do that. They are big, strong, tough, and fast and I'm sure a couple of them are young. Real serious meat if not potatoes.

The "plan" up there is looking less and less like a plan.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
If so, I'd be even more wary of getting him to stay here. Money talks and he's to make big money if he re-ups. 4 years until he can get a big paycheck here. Big decision for him.

Was it a consensus that he will be a UFA on July 1 of do we still have his RFA rights after that date?

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Was it a consensus that he will be a UFA on July 1 of do we still have his RFA rights after that date?

He can become a UFA on June 1st if he doesn't sign with the Canucks. But whether he signs with the Canucks or not, he'll have to sign a 2 year ELC if he wants an NHL deal.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015

Incidentally, is losing and having to replace Bartkowski and Weber a negative?

Admit it, you know next to nothing about this player.

Your posts are greatly appreciated though.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
He can become a UFA on June 1st if he doesn't sign with the Canucks. But whether he signs with the Canucks or not, he'll have to sign a 2 year ELC if he wants an NHL deal.

The UFA angle gives he all the negotiating leverage on that ELC and bonuses. Same as college UFA.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
utica_comets.png

COMETS GAME DAY!

St. John's IceCaps (23-22-7-3) @ Utica Comets (25-18-5-3)

Utica Memorial Auditorium - Utica, New York
7:00PM EST - February 26, 2016

IceCaps leaders:
Goals: Charles Hudon (17)
Assists: Bud Holloway (29)
+/-: Morgan Ellis (+9)
PIMS: Michael McCarron (82)

Comets leaders:
Goals: Brendan Gaunce (15)
Assists: Jordan Subban, Alexandre Grenier (20)
+/-: Taylor Fedun, Andrey Pedan (+13)
PIMS: Darren Archibald (78)

Projected starting goalies:

IceCaps
Zachary Fucale (33 GP, 14-13-3, 2.98 GAA, .906 Save%, 1 shutout)

Comets
Richard Bachman (23 GP, 10-8-4, 2.70 GAA, .896 Save%, 1 shutout)​

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Scratches
Injured/ill: F Blair Jones
Healthy: F Brandon Marino, D Travis Ehrhardt, D Ashton Sautner

Starters
Ronalds Kenins - Alex Friesen - Mike Zalewski

John Negrin - Taylor Fedun

Richard Bachman

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
The Comets have filled the void left by Shinkaruk - at least for now - by again signing Brandon Marino to a PTO (not sure if it's already been mentioned. Busy and don't have time to look back through the thread). I say "for now" but who knows if the Canucks will arrange for a better option.

I really don't want to sound all hung about it, but it really sucks not seeing Shinkaruk in that lineup. He was an AHL level star for the team. It's just a massive void, but if any team can rally around losing one of the best goal scorers in the league with zero replacement and soldier on, it's the Comets.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
4 minute power play coming up for the Comets near the end of the 1st period. They lead 1-0 on a goal by Mike Zalewski, with assists to Landry and Kenins. Shots are 9-6 Comets.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
4-1 comets final score. Bachman had a great game. 1st star Bachman, 2nd Bancks 3rd prust. Hamilton was injured in the second period. Team buses out after the game for leghigh valley game Sat night. 4 - 4.5 hour ride.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Final score: 4-1 Comets

Shots: 29-29

Power plays: St. John's (1/4), Utica (0/4)

Scoring:
1. UTI Zalewski 13 (Landry, Kenins) 2:32

2. UTI Hamilton 7 (Prust, Bancks) 4:22
2. UTI Bancks 9 (Shields, Prust) 15:41

3. STJ Holloway 16 (Scherbak, Ellis)(PP) 16:43
3. UTI Higgins 3 (unassisted)(EN/SH) 19:20

Goaltending:
Richard Bachman - W, 28 saves on 29 shots (59:40, 1.01 GAA, .966 Save%)

Three stars: (1) UTI Richard Bachman, (2) UTI Carter Bancks, (3) UTI Brandon Prust

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Admit it, you know next to nothing about this player.

Your posts are greatly appreciated though.

I know his ht and wt. I know his KHL numbers are nothing. I know he has done nothing to prove he is NHL material. I know he would be AHL material to begin with, but will likely ask for his contract to not allow for him to be a minor leaguer since he has been a major leaguer in the 2nd best league in the world (in their eyes anyways). I know he is up for resigning in the KHL and stands to make a big raise. I know the ball is in his court. I know the Canucks lose him anyways if he waits until June. If his value is where you guys seem to place it, why would he sign with this group seeing where they stand when he could pick his own sight since he has to settle for an ELC anyways? There are an awful lot of convinced people believing that he is a sure thing and are penciling him into the lineup already. I've seen, and I know most hockey fans who have been around for a while have seen, way too many sure things turn out to be real duds.

All I've been saying about this guy is that he loses tons of $ coming here and believe like many other Russians who have left that type of situation, they want some kind of assurances in order to give up an already sure thing. He's not a kid coming in to play Jrs. and taking his chances like all the other kids. He's leaving a pro market to take a big pay cut with no guarantees and that's a big step to take and he doesn't have to do it.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Agreed that money talks, but if he signs a max entry level 3 year deal with bonuses might show he wants to be in the NHL and is willing to work for it.

This doesn't change your point any, but because Tryamkin will be 22 years old before September 15, 2016, an elc signed by him this year would only be for two years. For any interested in looking it up, it's in Articles 9.1(b) and 9.2 of the CBA.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
The UFA angle gives he all the negotiating leverage on that ELC and bonuses. Same as college UFA.

There isn't a lot of leverage available to him anyway. The CBA is very specific and restrictive on salary and bonuses in an elc and because he could earn a good KHL salary, he really should get the maximum anyway.

Reportedly (http://thehockeywriters.com/from-russia-with-love-for-the-nhl/) Sergei Plotnikov's entry level contract with the Penguins contains a European Assignment Clause if the Pens don't keep him in the NHL. It wouldn't be surprising to see that kind of term included for Tryamkin, who has enjoyed success in Europe and may not want to be required to spend much, if any time, in the AHL.

Canucksrock

Feb 4, 2005
Caledon
This doesn't change your point any, but because Tryamkin will be 22 years old before September 15, 2016, an elc signed by him this year would only be for two years. For any interested in looking it up, it's in Articles 9.1(b) and 9.2 of the CBA.

Thank you for clarifying.

I know his ht and wt. I know his KHL numbers are nothing. I know he has done nothing to prove he is NHL material. I know he would be AHL material to begin with, but will likely ask for his contract to not allow for him to be a minor leaguer since he has been a major leaguer in the 2nd best league in the world (in their eyes anyways). I know he is up for resigning in the KHL and stands to make a big raise. I know the ball is in his court. I know the Canucks lose him anyways if he waits until June. If his value is where you guys seem to place it, why would he sign with this group seeing where they stand when he could pick his own sight since he has to settle for an ELC anyways? There are an awful lot of convinced people believing that he is a sure thing and are penciling him into the lineup already. I've seen, and I know most hockey fans who have been around for a while have seen, way too many sure things turn out to be real duds.

All I've been saying about this guy is that he loses tons of $ coming here and believe like many other Russians who have left that type of situation, they want some kind of assurances in order to give up an already sure thing. He's not a kid coming in to play Jrs. and taking his chances like all the other kids. He's leaving a pro market to take a big pay cut with no guarantees and that's a big step to take and he doesn't have to do it.

I was not making the point of what Tryamikin can be or is, just how much he would be limited to contract wise in the NHL/AHL. AND if knowing that he still signs it is a good sign of his NHL interest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad