The Utica Comets Thread | Part 34

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Updated roster (Mike Zalewski reassigned to Utica, Mike Pereira released from PTO):

download.php

Goaltenders
32 Richard Bachman
35 Joe Cannata

Defensemen
2 Travis Ehrhardt (Utica)
5 David Shields (PTO - Utica)
6 Ashton Sautner
7 Jordan Subban
11 John Negrin (Utica)
20 Jon Landry (Utica)
27 Taylor Fedun
37 Andrey Pedan

Forwards
8 Alex Friesen
9 Hunter Shinkaruk
10 Brendan Gaunce
12 John Kurtz (PTO - Utica)
13 Brandon Marino (PTO - Utica)
14 Mike Zalewski
15 Ronalds Kenins
16 Joseph LaBate
21 Chris Higgins
22 Blair Jones
24 Cole Cassels
25 Darren Archibald (Utica)
28 Alexandre Grenier
34 Carter Bancks (Utica)
36 Wacey Hamilton (Utica)​

Last edited by a moderator:

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Last post of previous thread:

Markstrom had no value when and shortly after he was waived. If Higgins goes on a massive hot streak he will rebuild some value.

Would you say that the GMs projecting Markstrom to have zero value at that point in time were incorrect?

Higgins only needs to recover from his injury and he should be back to where he was last year. 25 games doesn't tank a player's value, or shouldn't, IMO. That his contract wasn't picked up free and clear means that teams didn't feel it was worth absorbing without sending anything back. Not that he is completely without any value whatsoever. Examples of this are Huselius waive + trade, Briere waived, Pomminville waived etc...

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Lol, this is getting comical.

Bleach Clean: please update the OP with the current roster I've done up twice now. I even started the new thread last night which....disappeared, I guess. It's on Post 720 in the last Comets thread.

Sorry to sound petty, but it pains me seeing such an outdated roster in the OP, especially when I've already made a couple efforts to notify the mods of the update. People coming into this thread who are more unfamiliar with the Comets than others might find an accurate current roster useful, rather than one that still has Mackenze Stewart on it.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Last post of previous thread:

Would you say that the GMs projecting Markstrom to have zero value at that point in time were incorrect?

Higgins only needs to recover from his injury and he should be back to where he was last year. 25 games doesn't tank a player's value, or shouldn't, IMO. That his contract wasn't picked up free and clear means that teams didn't feel it was worth absorbing without sending anything back. Not that he is completely without any value whatsoever. Examples of this are Huselius waive + trade, Briere waived, Pomminville waived etc...

1-not being claimed doesn't mean GMs projected him to have no value. It meant they didn't view Markstrom as being a better option for 1 of their 2 goalies at that particular point in time. They could have very well projected him to be a high end goaltender but recognized he needed time in the minors to get there. Since no one could have claimed him and assigned Markstrom to their farm team, not being claimed is not a testament to projected value.

2-Higgins was so available the team issued a press release and made it public the agent was given permission to also seek a trade. In Higgins' case, if a team wanted him they didn't have to absorb him without sending something back. If they viewed him as an asset they wanted to acquire, the opportunity to do so was there.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
\
Signed yesterday, called up today. Good for him, hope he plays.

Wow!....looking more and more like Jimbo is getting ready to pull the trigger on some major deals....too many forwards when Sutter and Henrik are back....how is Zalewski in faceoffs?.....'Nucks dead last in the entire NHL...part of the reason for their terrible possession stats.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
For many posters who don't necessarily follow the Comets that closely, would be interesting to hear from Bad Goalie or Utica Hockey about what kind of player the Canucks are getting with Zalewski....has obviously made immense strides in his play with the Comets this year....is he a natural centre?....listed on the depth chart as a LW.:nod:

Domecile

Opinion != Fact
Jul 9, 2014
Delta
Zalewski played in his first game for the Canucks today and managed just 2 hits in his 13 minutes of ice time, but led the team in face off % at 71%.

I was pleasantly surprised with Zalewski. You could tell he has become a much more complete player than the one we saw a few years ago. I'm pretty sure he'll be sent back to Utica with Sutter coming back this weekend, but I'm certain this won't be the last time we see Z on the Canucks.

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
Reminded me of Higgins in 2011. Impossible to get the puck off of him while he was along the boards. Hopefully he won't be as inconsistent as Higgins with his offence (one day having a booming shot, the next just shooting it at the goalie pads)

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
I'm wondering if Zelewski can play wing.

*Edit*

Actually, I just checked some of his previous history and on at least 2 sites he's listed as a LW/C, so he's obviously played some in the past. Good chance the kid can stay up to play the left side as well and take draws on one side of the ice to help with our possession game.

Sedin - Sedin - Hansen
Baertschi - Horvat - Vrbata
Burrows - Vey - Etem
Zalewski - Sutter - Virtanen
McCann

The problem with this team is, dare I say... too many Centres? Zalewski can have a spot on the left side because we are short on the left side. However we have a small logjam built up in the middle and right wing.

An option would be to put Etem (Left handed shot) on the left side as he usually plays right. Trading Vrbata for a 1st would be a good move for this team as we're going to be forced to sit a good young player who could be playing (Vey, Virtanen, McCann).

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I'm wondering if Zelewski can play wing.

*Edit*

Actually, I just checked some of his previous history and on at least 2 sites he's listed as a LW/C, so he's obviously played some in the past. Good chance the kid can stay up to play the left side as well and take draws on one side of the ice to help with our possession game.

Sedin - Sedin - Hansen
Baertschi - Horvat - Vrbata
Burrows - Vey - Etem
Zalewski - Sutter - Virtanen
McCann

The problem with this team is, dare I say... too many Centres? Zalewski can have a spot on the left side because we are short on the left side. However we have a small logjam built up in the middle and right wing.

An option would be to put Etem (Left handed shot) on the left side as he usually plays right. Trading Vrbata for a 1st would be a good move for this team as we're going to be forced to sit a good young player who could be playing (Vey, Virtanen, McCann).

I'm almost positive he started as a winger with us. I think he may have played a bit of both wings actually.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
utica_comets.png

COMETS GAME DAY!

Utica Comets (18-15-3-3) @ Toronto Marlies (32-8-2-0)

Ricoh Coliseum - Toronto, Ontario
3:00PM EST - January 23, 2015

Comets leaders:
Goals: Hunter Shinkaruk (15)
Assists: Hunter Shinkaruk (15)
+/-: Taylor Fedun (+8)
PIMS: Alex Friesen (53)

Marlies leaders:
Goals: T.J. Brennan (15)
Assists: T.J. Brennan (24)
+/-: Andrew Campbell (+27)
PIMS: Richard Clune (102)

Projected starting goalies:

Comets
Joe Cannata (20 GP, 10-8-2, 2.58 GAA, .906 Save%, 1 shutout)

Marlies
Garret Sparks (12 GP, 8-3-1, 2.17 GAA, .930 Save%, 2 shutouts)​

Last edited:

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Scratches
Injured: F Blair Jones, F Ronalds Kenins
Healthy: F John Kurtz, D Travis Ehrhardt, D David Shields

Starters

Carter Bancks - Wacey Hamilton - Mike Pereira

Andrey Pedan - Ashton Sautner

Joe Cannata

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Didn't take long for the Marlies to jump out to the lead. Archibald and Landry bump into eachother, opening up an opportunity for Rylan Schwartz to pounce on a rebound unimpeded.

1-0 Marlies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad