The Utica Comets Thread | Part 34

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
IIRC Tryamkin has been under contract this entire time. When his season ends it will be the first time the team has had a chance to sign him and bring him over.

He has been a very good KHL D-man and is in line to make a big pay raise. To come over here the Canucks will likely have to match those big bucks with no proof he can make it here. He can demand a one way and state he will not play in the AHL. There is a lot more to his playing here than just signing him up and then doing what they want to be adjudicate he has developed sufficiently to play in the NHL.

Canucksrock

Feb 4, 2005
Caledon
He has been a very good KHL D-man and is in line to make a big pay raise. To come over here the Canucks will likely have to match those big bucks with no proof he can make it here. He can demand a one way and state he will not play in the AHL. There is a lot more to his playing here than just signing him up and then doing what they want to be adjudicate he has developed sufficiently to play in the NHL.

I believe he is limited to an entry level max deal

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I believe he is limited to an entry level max deal

If so, I'd be even more wary of getting him to stay here. Money talks and he's to make big money if he re-ups. 4 years until he can get a big paycheck here. Big decision for him.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
The Comets play St. John's tomorrow night at the Aud. Up to this point the media nor the Comets' own site has mentioned any new additions to the roster. Thus, at the moment the Canucks will enter tomorrow's game with 13 forwards on the roster, one of whom is Jones who played one game on 2/13 after missing 11 and then was listed as injured again and did not play in the next 4. If he's ready, Green has one decision to make.

This is just a mock-up, but everyone is in his regular position other than Archi who has moved to RW since Prust. Who knows how Green will align these guys. Haven't made it to a practice to see how he's worked out the lineup without Hunter.

Zalewski/Gaunce/Grenier
Kenins/Friesen/Archibald
Prust/Cassels/Jones
Higgins/Hamilton/Bancks
LaBate

Last edited:

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Well either they sign Boeser after his season ends and he gets assigned to utica. Or they need to trade for a LWer that can score in the AHL.

If they don't I think that the Comets might be in trouble.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Well either they sign Boeser after his season ends and he gets assigned to utica. Or they need to trade for a LWer that can score in the AHL.

If they don't I think that the Comets might be in trouble.

You think??? By the way who is the scoring RWer?

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
You think??? By the way who is the scoring RWer?

Well the RWer would be Boeser if he signs which is a 50/50 shot IMO.

NCHC is the hardest division in the NCAA and is pretty close to the level of the AHL so I would think he could transfer his goalscoring over.

As for LWer I mean Zaweleski "can" fill top line winger role. But I'd rather have him in a 2 way role.

We need to trade for a top AHL LWer IMO.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
For those that do not remember, this is the second season in a row that the comets have traded their leading scorer.( Dustin Jeffery last season) we lost a good player in Shinkaruk, but it's not any different than someone getting called up or a long term injuries. This team never has revolved around one or two scorers, its scoring by committee ....... People are over reacting and running around like it's the end of the world.....the team will be fine. It's not like Shinkaruk dominated play or ran the power play......even without Shinkaruk this team is much stronger than a month or two ago with Kenins, Higgins and Prust on the ice.

coldsteel79

Sep 28, 2015
sask
For those that do not remember, this is the second season in a row that the comets have traded their leading scorer.( Dustin Jeffery last season) we lost a good player in Shinkaruk, but it's not any different than someone getting called up or a long term injuries. This team never has revolved around one or two scorers, its scoring by committee ....... People are over reacting and running around like it's the end of the world.....the team will be fine. It's not like Shinkaruk dominated play or ran the power play......even without Shinkaruk this team is much stronger than a month or two ago with Kenins, Higgins and Prust on the ice.

Positivity??? Well said

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Jeffrey was replaced with both Conacher and Bärtschi. This is quite different from last year.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Jeffrey was replaced with both Conacher and Bärtschi. This is quite different from last year.

the comets are not calder cup material this season......and there may still be some movement of players.... this team always competes.... all i heard all summer is "who is going to score goals" players improve, players step up..... they will be fine.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
The Comets just announced that they are bringing back Brandon Marino on another PTO. I don't think Green is impressed with any of the players in Kalamazoo.

I don't see Green's opinion as sketchy on the Zoo 3. It seems pretty firm as unimpressed. He has never chosen them in a time of need. Witness the PTO signings this season when the Zoo 3 were and still are scoring goals on a regular basis and I'd add Mallet to those totals as well further making their numbers less impressive.

I thought the Marino release was premature as to what happened to the forward numbers immediately after it happened. Now with Shink gone and Jones' availability for the weekend still iffy (Green is quoted today as saying, he's "close to returning" and the likelihood he plays in any of this weekend's 3 tilts is "yet to be determined". He has not skated without the no contact green jersey in practice. Doesn't sound promising.

That would have left the team with 12 total forwards. Marino gives them a little breathing room and has proven he's capable of filling in. I know that won't satisfy the Vancouver fans anxious to see the Fox, Valk, and Blomstrand trio in the AHL, but Green has made his thoughts on that obvious by his moves with them since they arrived on the scene. None of them has ever impressed whenever on the ice with the Comets and at the moment it appears he believes they still won't.

Canucksrock

Feb 4, 2005
Caledon
If so, I'd be even more wary of getting him to stay here. Money talks and he's to make big money if he re-ups. 4 years until he can get a big paycheck here. Big decision for him.

Agreed that money talks, but if he signs a max entry level 3 year deal with bonuses might show he wants to be in the NHL and is willing to work for it.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Agreed that money talks, but if he signs a max entry level 3 year deal with bonuses might show he wants to be in the NHL and is willing to work for it.

"is willing to work for it."

His money in the KHL has been enough to make one seriously consider taking even more and staying home, rather than giving that up for much less even with bonuses. He certainly can't count on much for offensive bonuses having amassed a PPG average of 0.15 in 186 GP in a league where offense is the norm. His career +/- is negative. Methinks too many are awed by his size.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
The Comets just announced that they are bringing back Brandon Marino on another PTO. I don't think Green is impressed with any of the players in Kalamazoo.

I'd say you're absolutely right, and I imagine that view is shared up the line. It looks like the Canucks are simply waiting for those contracts to run out (at least in the case of Blomstrand and Fox -- I'm hazy on the details but I think that Valk doesn't have a Canucks deal).

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

Also interesting the Comets haven't posted this info on their web site. It really is a poorly run site so I'm not really surprised.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
I'd say you're absolutely right, and I imagine that view is shared up the line. It looks like the Canucks are simply waiting for those contracts to run out (at least in the case of Blomstrand and Fox -- I'm hazy on the details but I think that Valk doesn't have a Canucks deal).

Valk is on an AHL contract with the Comets. Of the 3 in the Zoo Marino most closely resembles Valk. A very undersized scorer at the ECHL level.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Also interesting the Comets haven't posted this info on their web site. It really is a poorly run site so I'm not really surprised.

It's there if you scroll down to the latest News section but not in the roster section yet. I'm not a fan of the new redesigned website either. It's flashier looking but it also looks like it would be more difficult to keep the basic info such as a roster list updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad