The Utica Comets Thread | Part 34

Status
Not open for further replies.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
Appears to me the difference in this game was goaltending....Marlies were out-shot and out-chanced in their own barn, and their goalie is the second star.....Subban really seems to be developing nicely....still looks tiny out there at times, but his skating and puck-handling are elite-level....if nothing else, he'd look good on the pp in Vancouver with a guy like Hutton at the point....'Nucks haven't had a pp qb since Erhoff was in his prime.

Henrik was/is the PP QB.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Henrik was/is the PP QB.

I'm talking about a pp qb who can walk the line and unleash a howitzer that actually gets though, not some stationary guy like Henrik along the side wall....they need someone from the point to start running the pp, particularly on the second unit.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
I'm talking about a pp qb who can walk the line and unleash a howitzer that actually gets though, not some stationary guy like Henrik along the side wall....they need someone from the point to start running the pp, particularly on the second unit.

Henrik is hardly stationary, and as the most offensively creative player on the ice, I'd rather have him 'run' the PP, however I get your point. We DO need a defenseman at the point who isn't static, can move the puck and get his shot through to the net. Edler is not that guy anymore.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI

Don't disagree that the 2nd unit needs a QB.

The "QB" is the main distributor of the puck—that will always be Henrik when he's on the ice on the PP. Their position or area on the ice really has no bearing on that.

The Canucks do need a puck-moving D to assist with it, though.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Henrik is hardly stationary, and as the most offensively creative player on the ice, I'd rather have him 'run' the PP, however I get your point. We DO need a defenseman at the point who isn't static, can move the puck and get his shot through to the net. Edler is not that guy anymore.

Yes, we see this every year....teams just aren't too worried about covering the points on the Canuck pp....they just collapse the box down low and take away all the shooting lanes....too many times the Sedins end up killing their own pp because nobody is really in a prime scoring position.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Shinkaruk is similar to Mike Hoffman.

Don't know if he can become that late bloomer type of player though.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Whenever I think of Shinkaruk as a NHL player I think of Gallagher for some reason.

No idea why.

Can't see the comparison really....Gallagher was an undersized winger who willed himself into the NHL with determination and an indefatigable work ethic....Shinkaruk more of a flashy scorer in the Hat, who is having to learn the physical intensity and defensive side of the puck in the AHL.

VibinCanuck

No doubt about it, I am ready to get hurt again
Sep 13, 2014
Vancouver
Yes.

Needs to finish developing in the AHL for the rest of the season maybe even a bit of next year.

I can see Virtanen getting some time in Utica next year so he can get 1st line minutes and some offensive maturing to his game. Shinkaruk would get a third line spot in the NHL. That skill on the PP could be great to use.

Honestly next year could have Gaunce, Shinkaruk and Rodin all on the team (maybe Grenier). I don't see how Higgins or Burr are back next season...

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Comets played a pretty solid game but second best in this one. Marlies have a lot of solid and skilled players like Arcobello and their class tells.

Good

Subban - really a top end skater at this level. Emerging as the best offensive defenseman. Still worry about him in his own zone but very strong on the rush. Smart with the puck. Appeared to get hurt late in the game on the open net goal play. Have to see what comes of this

Archibald - some very heavy hitting started creating turnovers from the Marlie defense. Helped turn the game in the Comets favor at times. However, messed up some good chances around the net.

Shinkaruk - had a so-so first period where he passed the puck poorly on the PP. However, once he scored, per usual, stepped up his play. Goal was kinda of typical where he jumped on a rebound and put the puck into an open net. Has nose for getting to those kind of chances. In fact defines the term poacher. Nice play on the goal by Gaunce but Gaunce did little besides that. Shinkaruk showed a bit of flash in the third and was dangerous at some points. Needs to be a better at completing the lateral pass on the rush.

Weak

Fedun - was not strong in front of his net on the second goal against and not very good getting the puck out of his zone. Took a weak penalty late that pretty much ended chances of a come back. Made the one shot that Shinkaruk eventually converted but otherwise had trouble moving the puck from the point - although it did seem that Toronto was determined to take him away and the Comets maybe should have adjusted better. Probably his weakest game of the year

Cassels - did not cover his man in front of the net on the first goal against and contributed zero offensively. Really had to make an effort to follow him as he was rarely in the play.

Grenier - little better in the third but mostly a non-factor. Over passed the puck all game and passed up excellent chances to shoot. Sort of dead weight on the line with Gaunce and Shinkaruk. They need a lot more out of Grenier.

Sautner - couldn't handle the Marlie forecheck and saw little ice as the game went on. Needs to be a lot stronger. Needs to be quick to overcome this problem and in this game wasn't.

Marino - missed a completely open net and was overall ineffective. Seems to scurry around on his own agenda

Periera - could get nothing none.

LaBate - never made a play all night. Lacks much ability to carry the puck and mostly crashing and banging around. Marlies had too much skill to make this effective.

Others

Pedan - some good and some bad. Made some strong rushes and made some good stretch passes out his end. Could see him pushing the play at times. Played physical and did bang some people around. However, needs to extend zone of coverage around his net. Seems to straighten up and make himself smaller. Also good reads remain a concern down low in his own end. Still too much all over the map and it will be interesting to see if the Canucks can get him to restrain some of the rover type play.

Higgins - showed his a savvy and could see the smoothness in his play. Yet he did not make himself into a major factor in the game and still a lot of glide in his game. Think there are questions about his speed (maybe the foot never really got better) and forechecking ability. I think this is one of the main reasons he is out of Vancouver. He doesn't bring the pressure the Canucks want. Still he had some good shifts and was clever in some of his passes.

Comets need excellent goal tending for success and don't think Cannata provided this. He made some good saves but was weak on some of the goals.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
The Comets are already down 3-0 in the 1st in their rematch with the Marlies. 3 goals on 9 shots for Bachman.

EDIT: 4-0 now with just over a minute to go in the 1st.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Can't see the comparison really....Gallagher was an undersized winger who willed himself into the NHL with determination and an indefatigable work ethic....Shinkaruk more of a flashy scorer in the Hat, who is having to learn the physical intensity and defensive side of the puck in the AHL.

I agree, but for some reason I just get this weird Gallagher vibe from him.

Stylistically they are very different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad