The Utica Comets Thread | Part 32

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Linden, Benning, Desjardins in Utica tonight.

Could be looking at Friesen to see about releasing McCann to Team Canada.

I get a feeling it's a lot more than that.

Looking for a center to replace McCann. Vey just might show us what he's supposed to have been since coming down. He's pretty much been meh to stinko depending on the game. May try to put on a show tonight. Friesen is the only other option unless they want Gaunce to give center a try and he gets to audition tonight before the brass.

Could be looking at Grenier, Gaunce, and Jensen as well in order to determine if a trade up top can be covered by what's down on the farm. Worse yet which one of the three can be the better fit in a trade.

How about they want to check out the D for two reasons. One, to find out if Subban can handle a call-up when the next Canuck D-man goes down. He's all that's left in Utica. Two, to assess if what they've heard is true. Utica has six D and they are in trouble. Only 2 are under contract to the Canucks, the rookies Subban and Sautner. Another injury up there or down here or both becomes catastrophic on the farm because they don't have any left. They are playing the six they have with no 7th in house. Cederholm is all that's left in the Zoo and obviously he isn't considered a good fit or he would already be here. No one carries just 6 D-men unless they have no other choice.

Maybe they want to see for themselves that the Comets need another good veteran AHL D-man as well as a veteran forward, preferably a center, and another wing wouldn't hurt and the roster has room for all of them. The scratches right now are LaBate, Kurtz, and Stewart. Add 2 forwards and Stewart returns to the Z00. Kurtz could hang around or be released. He's done nothing. Labate and the 2 new guys would become the 5th line. Now Green can mix and match however he wants. The D man would only become #7. If Pedan returns when Sbisa does, the Comets would have their 8 once more.

If they have their thinking caps on, there is a ****load of stuff they could be checking out. Maybe "thinking" is the problem. They haven't done any since the season opened regarding the mess that's arisen. If I knew it was coming and my posts since August have stated it, certainly an NHL GM and his Minor League overseer shouldn't have any difficulty doing the same.

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Tonight it's the Comets vs the Rochester Americans. It's the second game with the patchwork defense. Negrin and Ehrhardt are the "vets"! Next we have the two rookies, Subban and Sautner. Rounding out the sextet are Landry and Shields (irony as he wears a full face shield to protect his broken nose) both AHL D-men released by their teams after last season recently signed to PTOS by the Comets or they'd have just 4.

They will have to put goals on the board as this D will likely surrender their share, 4 last Sunday in Toronto.

This would be a good night for the the big three MIAs on the score sheet to snap out of it, Grenier, Jensen, and Gaunce.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I get a feeling it's a lot more than that.

Looking for a center to replace McCann. Vey just might show us what he's supposed to have been since coming down. He's pretty much been meh to stinko depending on the game. May try to put on a show tonight. Friesen is the only other option unless they want Gaunce to give center a try and he gets to audition tonight before the brass.

Could be looking at Grenier, Gaunce, and Jensen as well in order to determine if a trade up top can be covered by what's down on the farm. Worse yet which one of the three can be the better fit in a trade.

How about they want to check out the D for two reasons. One, to find out if Subban can handle a call-up when the next Canuck D-man goes down. He's all that's left in Utica. Two, to assess if what they've heard is true. Utica has six D and they are in trouble. Only 2 are under contract to the Canucks, the rookies Subban and Sautner. Another injury up there or down here or both becomes catastrophic on the farm because they don't have any left. They are playing the six they have with no 7th in house. Cederholm is all that's left in the Zoo and obviously he isn't considered a good fit or he would already be here. No one carries just 6 D-men unless they have no other choice.

Maybe they want to see for themselves that the Comets need another good veteran AHL D-man as well as a veteran forward, preferably a center, and another wing wouldn't hurt and the roster has room for all of them. The scratches right now are LaBate, Kurtz, and Stewart. Add 2 forwards and Stewart returns to the Z00. Kurtz could hang around or be released. He's done nothing. Labate and the 2 new guys would become the 5th line. Now Green can mix and match however he wants. The D man would only become #7. If Pedan returns when Sbisa does, the Comets would have their 8 once more.

If they have their thinking caps on, there is a ****load of stuff they could be checking out. Maybe "thinking" is the problem. They haven't done any since the season opened regarding the mess that's arisen. If I knew it was coming and my posts since August have stated it, certainly an NHL GM and his Minor League overseer shouldn't have any difficulty doing the same.

Oh BG, all your options are rational! Of course the Canucks are there to do what is absolutely worst for the Comets...

Problem is that all of Benning's little mistakes are making two really big mistakes, one at the NHL level and the other at the AHL level.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Oh BG, all your options are rational! Of course the Canucks are there to do what is absolutely worst for the Comets...

Problem is that all of Benning's little mistakes are making two really big mistakes, one at the NHL level and the other at the AHL level.
I keep reading how the Comets are hard done by then I keep seeing them win. I hear they will not be able to score then I keep seeing goals. Either Green is a god or Utica's lineup troubles are overstated. Last year was Utica made the finals largely because of Benning moves for Clendening, Sven, Pedan and multiple vets to start the year. No love just blame when the next year the team is average.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I keep reading how the Comets are hard done by then I keep seeing them win. I hear they will not be able to score then I keep seeing goals. Either Green is a god or Utica's lineup troubles are overstated. Last year was Utica made the finals largely because of Benning moves for Clendening, Sven, Pedan and multiple vets to start the year. No love just blame when the next year the team is average.

You're basically saying "I watch hockey". And last year Henning was overseeing the franchise and now he's not. And even if I give Benning credit for making those moves last year, why did he suddenly fail to follow up on any of them? Coincidentally after he cleaned house.

Benning deserves blame for some things and praise for others. You seem to defend him for everything though.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Nice to see Subban scoring but that's not what's keeping him in the AHL correct? How does he look in his own end?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
For the life of me I can't figure out why Benning is paying fourth liners like Dorsett and Prust $2.5 a season each when there are serviceable guys like Grenier and Jensen earning the league minimum.....how much worse could they be as fourth liners?....maybe they could actually use the surplus to go out acquire a decent d-man or two for both the big club and Utica....and if he's looking for centre to fill in for McCann at the World Juniors, they could do a lot worse than elevating Zalewski....oops forgot, JB in his wisdom didn't re-sign him.:shakehead

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
For the life of me I can't figure out why Benning is paying fourth liners like Dorsett and Prust $2.5 a season each when there are serviceable guys like Grenier and Jensen earning the league minimum.....how much worse could they be as fourth liners?....maybe they could actually use the surplus to go out acquire a decent d-man or two for both the big club and Utica....and if he's looking for centre to fill in for McCann at the World Juniors, they could do a lot worse than elevating Zalewski....oops forgot, JB in his wisdom didn't re-sign him.:shakehead

Benning would be smart to use one of his 5 available contracts and get Zalewski back under contract. He has been the Comets best two way forward all season and he is only in his second year of professional hockey. One of Vancouver's better bottom 6 prospects is sitting in their own system waiting to be plucked away by another NHL team.

Domecile

Opinion != Fact
Jul 9, 2014
Delta

How do you think Jensen would play in a 4th line role? Also acquiring Prust from MTL was more about removing Kassian from the team than it was about bringing Prust into the team. I at least hope that was the case when we acquired him.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Grenier's goal assists to Subban
https://streamable.com/fntw

Grenier is now the franchise leader in goals for Utica
Subban is now tied for the defenseman scoring on the Comets

Don't get all silly over Subban being tied for points among the Comets D. He is tied with Ehrhardt at 12. This team has no offensive D-men. Subban was supposed to be that along with Hutton. We know what happened to Hutton and Subban had to learn how to play D first.

Before you jump on that last part. Subbie said just that same thing to Burke on the post game show in explaining why he has only played 19 games and is just starting to find the net. He said that he had to learn to play in his own end first, that guys in this league are big, strong, and fast. He can't run all over the ice and get away with it like he did in Jrs. SUBBAN said that! That was the gist of Orcatown and my analyses as he progressed from game to game.

Benning is a large culprit in this in that he didn't secure a veteran, puck moving D-man with a scoring touch to help Subban find his way. That ghost, Subban, and fedun would have provided the necessary pairings that produce consistent breakouts like last season. Pedan, Biega, Ehrhardt and now it appears Sautner would all have been excellent with their secondary puck carrying abilities which makes a D very dangerous offensively because they can both pass and carry the puck which provides the forwards with many more options and the team becomes scary offensively. The man is a fool. Had he kept Henning you can be sure this error would not have occurred. His new boy is either a puppet or an idiot.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Benning would be smart to use one of his 5 available contracts and get Zalewski back under contract. He has been the Comets best two way forward all season and he is only in his second year of professional hockey. One of Vancouver's better bottom 6 prospects is sitting in their own system waiting to be plucked away by another NHL team.

I have been battling myself all season to call Z or Hamilton our best forward as they both are excellent every game and one is just ahead of the other, back and forth, game to game, but Z is developing what he lacked all last season, a scoring touch. Tonight he notched #7. That puts him at the top of the ladder. He is all around top notch. Kills penalties, forechecks his ass off, is fantastic in his own end. Only he and Wacey are that good, but now Z can score as well.

Again, people talk about Benning's ability to recognize talent. Here is another chance to question that ability.

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
I have been battling myself all season to call Z or Hamilton our best forward as they both are excellent every game and one is just ahead of the other, back and forth, game to game, but Z is developing what he lacked all last season, a scoring touch. Tonight he notched #7. That puts him at the top of the ladder. He is all around top notch. Kills penalties, forechecks his ass off, is fantastic in his own end. Only he and Wacey are that good, but now Z can score as well.

Again, people talk about Benning's ability to recognize talent. Here is another chance to question that ability.

sounds like Hansen's clone we should definitely sign him

how is he on faceoffs

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

Our master talent evaluator can only evaluate talent before they turn pro. His talent radar doesn't work on pros. :sarcasm:

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Don't get all silly over Subban being tied for points among the Comets D. He is tied with Ehrhardt at 12. This team has no offensive D-men. Subban was supposed to be that along with Hutton. We know what happened to Hutton and Subban had to learn how to play D first.

Before you jump on that last part. Subbie said just that same thing to Burke on the post game show in explaining why he has only played 19 games and is just starting to find the net. He said that he had to learn to play in his own end first, that guys in this league are big, strong, and fast. He can't run all over the ice and get away with it like he did in Jrs. SUBBAN said that! That was the gist of Orcatown and my analyses as he progressed from game to game.

Subban is tied for most points by a defenseman on the Utica comets.

There is no sarcastic snarl in that statement. It's a fact. It's not directed at you to say "I told you so". It's just a positive fact about Subban so far into his pro-career.

Don't need to be so defensive about it.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria

Benning is a large culprit in this in that he didn't secure a veteran, puck moving D-man with a scoring touch to help Subban find his way. That ghost, Subban, and fedun would have provided the necessary pairings that produce consistent breakouts like last season. Pedan, Biega, Ehrhardt and now it appears Sautner would all have been excellent with their secondary puck carrying abilities which makes a D very dangerous offensively because they can both pass and carry the puck which prokvides the forwards with many more options and the team becomes scary offensively. The man is a fool. Had he kept Henning you can be sure this error would not have occurred. His new boy is either a puppet or an idiot.

You've said at least 3000 times now that Benning didn't add a veteran dman despite the fact he did: Fedun. Maybe you mean to say he should have added 2, but in one of the dozens of posts that you've kicked this horse in I'm sure you would have said that if that was what you intended. I mean you're not exactly one for brevity.

Simple fact is, every time you add a veteran with limited NHL potential (ala Fedun or Spaghetti) you add a road block for prospects whose NHL potential is still TBD. Hutton was expected to start in the A, which means Benning expected to have Ben, Subban and Sautner--the latter two who seem to be benefitting from the opportunity presented so far this season--vying for offensive minutes with Biega, Ehrhardt, Fedun and Pedan. Things didn't go as planned and we obviously need to find some depth from somewhere...but that's the risk when you leave openings for prospects to grap larger roles....sometimes they crap the bed (Corrado), sometimes they exceed expectations and throw the white board out of whack (Hutton), and sometimes they just aren't ready for the role you need them to step into (Subban). So far it's been a bit of worst case scenario on the blueline, starting with Corrado not showing up ready to play and then getting claimed. Be nice NOW to have another quality AHL vet but I also agree with rolling the dice and giving opportunities to the prospects. Of course sometimes you roll the dice and it comes up snake eyes, but that just means even more opportunity for prospects like Subban and Sautner that they might not have received if there was a stable full of AHL vets.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

Benning is a large culprit in this in that he didn't secure a veteran, puck moving D-man with a scoring touch to help Subban find his way. That ghost, Subban, and fedun would have provided the necessary pairings that produce consistent breakouts like last season. Pedan, Biega, Ehrhardt and now it appears Sautner would all have been excellent with their secondary puck carrying abilities which makes a D very dangerous offensively because they can both pass and carry the puck which provides the forwards with many more options and the team becomes scary offensively. The man is a fool. Had he kept Henning you can be sure this error would not have occurred. His new boy is either a puppet or an idiot.

If the universe had unfolded the way it was supposed to before the season started, the Comets would have had Biega, Pedan, Fedun, Hutton and perhaps Corrado as their top five...that would have left Subban, Sauntner and perhaps Erhardt or Negrin as the depth blueliners.....that would actually have been a pretty respectable blueline....but unfortunately things didn't work out that way....Hutton outplayed half the veterans on the Canucks in training camp, and then the injuries hit.....the fact that Travis Green is able to keep winning with the current blueline is nothing short of remarkable:handclap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad