The Utica Comets Thread | Part 32

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
This, it's almost like half of the fan base hope Virtanen becomes a career 4th liner and Nylander ends up in HHOF.

I hope you don't think I'm involving myself in the Nylander/Virtanen wishing and hoping game or who's better or who I should hate sweepstakes.

I only posted a comment based on what I've observed in the past 2 seasons. I watched all of Jake's Utica games last season and 1 of the 2 he's played this year. I've also watched all of his Vancouver games.
I watched Nylander in Utica last year and this year.

At this point in their careers Nylander is playing a much better game than Virtanen. One leads the AHL in scoring. The second has played 12 of the the Comets past 35 games in the AHL and he has amassed 1 assist. He hasn't fared much better in the NHL this year.

Clearly at this point in time Nylander is playing better. They are the same age. Who will become the better player or get to the HOF is unwarranted projection. I wish neither, anything but good luck in their careers. I am a big Comets and Canucks fan, but I appreciate the skills of every player. I don't cheer the opponent, but I recognize great skills, talent, and on ice displays. I don't hate on someone if those skills and talent happens to be instrumental in defeating any team I'm actually the fan of.

Simple examples, I thought Larkin was an exceptional talent last playoffs vs. the Comets as well as Bachman who almost singlehandedly defeated the Comets in his series. The Comets defeated both of them and no one stood and clapped yelled louder than I did. However, I still talk about things those guys did. Larkin was picked at #14 by the Red Wings in the same draft and he is putting up points big time for a rookie, Hell for any player - 11 G and 11 A for 22 PTS in 30 games.

Didn't want to fight or argue just posting my thoughts on the progression of both players. I don't suppose I'd hear any negativity for Nylander or Larkin if they were Canucks prospects. If you want to hate on anyone, JB is the better target here. He passed on both Nylander and Larkin.

I fully understand the the desire to see our guys do well because I DO, but wishing ill on the guys Vancouver didn't get won't make Jake any better. There is a difference in good natured riding of an opponent, but the word hate is too loosely used these days. I mean do people really know how deep the definition of that word goes? I know I'll get blasted for this, but lots of innocent people in this world , the U.S. and Canada included, are dying horrible deaths every day because of hatred. I think we could all find a better choice of words to express our displeasure.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
I hope you don't think I'm involving myself in the Nylander/Virtanen wishing and hoping game or who's better or who I should hate sweepstakes.

I only posted a comment based on what I've observed in the past 2 seasons. I watched all of Jake's Utica games last season and 1 of the 2 he's played this year. I've also watched all of his Vancouver games.
I watched Nylander in Utica last year and this year.

At this point in their careers Nylander is playing a much better game than Virtanen. One leads the AHL in scoring. The second has played 12 of the the Comets past 35 games in the AHL and he has amassed 1 assist. He hasn't fared much better in the NHL this year.

Clearly at this point in time Nylander is playing better. They are the same age. Who will become the better player or get to the HOF is unwarranted projection. I wish neither, anything but good luck in their careers. I am a big Comets and Canucks fan, but I appreciate the skills of every player. I don't cheer the opponent, but I recognize great skills, talent, and on ice displays. I don't hate on someone if those skills and talent happens to be instrumental in defeating any team I'm actually the fan of.

Simple examples, I thought Larkin was an exceptional talent last playoffs vs. the Comets as well as Bachman who almost singlehandedly defeated the Comets in his series. The Comets defeated both of them and no one stood and clapped yelled louder than I did. However, I still talk about things those guys did. Larkin was picked at #14 by the Red Wings in the same draft and he is putting up points big time for a rookie, Hell for any player - 11 G and 11 A for 22 PTS in 30 games.

Didn't want to fight or argue just posting my thoughts on the progression of both players. I don't suppose I'd hear any negativity for Nylander or Larkin if they were Canucks prospects. If you want to hate on anyone, JB is the better target here. He passed on both Nylander and Larkin.

I fully understand the the desire to see our guys do well because I DO, but wishing ill on the guys Vancouver didn't get won't make Jake any better. There is a difference in good natured riding of an opponent, but the word hate is too loosely used these days. I mean do people really know how deep the definition of that word goes? I know I'll get blasted for this, but lots of innocent people in this world , the U.S. and Canada included, are dying horrible deaths every day because of hatred. I think we could all find a better choice of words to express our displeasure.

Great post and your realistic reports are always welcome.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Very good effort by most of the team. Again its the grinders that carry the load. Friesen, Zelewski, Bancks, Archibald, Hamilton (maybe the best player for the Comets in this game). I would also include Jensen in this group. Really the core guys. Their commitment to team play is very good.

In contrast to them you have the passengers.

Gaunce is in and out. Occasional play but mostly lugging and next to no physicality. Just don't see the compete in this player on a consistent basis. Really avoids any sort of altercation. Have to ask if he has the motor or energy to ever move to the next level. This seemed to be a complaint that kept him off the National Junior team and you can see it in his game. The cerebral approach is only going to carry you so far.

Grenier another player that goes to sleep. Get a good shift and then he disappears. Relied on for PP but lack of anticipation and telegraphing every thing he does makes him generally useless on the PP

Virtanen looks lost and taking himself out of the play too much to make useless hits. Don't understand the development plan here. If you are drafting 6th overall you want a player with offensive talent and not someone running around making hits. You can get any plug to do that. Think Virtanen is lost right now in what his role should be. Canucks need to rethink what they are doing with Virtanen and start using his speed correctly. Didn't play much in this game and seemed a target when he was out.

Nylander was obviously superior in this game. Extremely dangerous and talented player.

Vey was again weak. Swatted away like a flea and per usual lacked the strength to maintain the puck when stick checked. Over passed the puck leading to bad turnovers. Doesn't shoot the puck when he should because his pop gun shot is not beating anyone. Would credit Vey with making an effort. But that may be the saddest part. Even with effort he stinks.

Someone the other day said Benning hadn't made a bad trade. They can't be watching Vey.

On the defense have to say Negrin gave it the full shot and was effective. Seems to be stepping up with all the injuries and call-ups. One of his best efforts. Ehrhardt was also very good.

Have to admire Subban's compete level in this game. Was generally effective but play fell off late. Doubt he is anywhere near ready to take on this work load. Benefit here is that Subban is getting the chance to play through mistakes and get the game time necessary to develop. Player that needs to play with confidence and a bit of cockiness but tough to have that when you are just fighting to survive.

Sautner again getting beat wide but overall you have to be impressed with most of what he is doing. Is looking increasingly comfortable and showing more poise. Trying to make the play and not just rattling the puck off the boards. He does have some offensive upside. Probably the most pleasant surprise on the team.

Liked Pedan tonight. Has great tools and is beginning to use them appropriately. Getting much smoother in transition and shows the speed to force the play on both offense and defense. Not mistake free but he, with the right partner, could be good at the next level. Really a matter of getting the experience and he is certainly getting that now.

Goal tending both ways was excellent. Bachman made a couple of spectacular saves and was a wall on the 5 on 3s.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Very good effort by most of the team. Again its the grinders that carry the load. Friesen, Zelewski, Bancks, Archibald, Hamilton (maybe the best player for the Comets in this game). I would also include Jensen in this group. Really the core guys. Their commitment to team play is very good.

In contrast to them you have the passengers.

Gaunce is in and out. Occasional play but mostly lugging and next to no physicality. Just don't see the compete in this player on a consistent basis. Really avoids any sort of altercation. Have to ask if he has the motor or energy to ever move to the next level. This seemed to be a complaint that kept him off the National Junior team and you can see it in his game. The cerebral approach is only going to carry you so far.

Grenier another player that goes to sleep. Get a good shift and then he disappears. Relied on for PP but lack of anticipation and telegraphing every thing he does makes him generally useless on the PP

Virtanen looks lost and taking himself out of the play too much to make useless hits. Don't understand the development plan here. If you are drafting 6th overall you want a player with offensive talent and not someone running around making hits. You can get any plug to do that. Think Virtanen is lost right now in what his role should be. Canucks need to rethink what they are doing with Virtanen and start using his speed correctly. Didn't play much in this game and seemed a target when he was out.

Nylander was obviously superior in this game. Extremely dangerous and talented player.

Vey was again weak. Swatted away like a flea and per usual lacked the strength to maintain the puck when stick checked. Over passed the puck leading to bad turnovers. Doesn't shoot the puck when he should because his pop gun shot is not beating anyone. Would credit Vey with making an effort. But that may be the saddest part. Even with effort he stinks.

Someone the other day said Benning hadn't made a bad trade. They can't be watching Vey.

On the defense have to say Negrin gave it the full shot and was effective. Seems to be stepping up with all the injuries and call-ups. One of his best efforts. Ehrhardt was also very good.

Have to admire Subban's compete level in this game. Was generally effective but play fell off late. Doubt he is anywhere near ready to take on this work load. Benefit here is that Subban is getting the chance to play through mistakes and get the game time necessary to develop. Player that needs to play with confidence and a bit of cockiness but tough to have that when you are just fighting to survive.

Sautner again getting beat wide but overall you have to be impressed with most of what he is doing. Is looking increasingly comfortable and showing more poise. Trying to make the play and not just rattling the puck off the boards. He does have some offensive upside. Probably the most pleasant surprise on the team.

Liked Pedan tonight. Has great tools and is beginning to use them appropriately. Getting much smoother in transition and shows the speed to force the play on both offense and defense. Not mistake free but he, with the right partner, could be good at the next level. Really a matter of getting the experience and he is certainly getting that now.

Goal tending both ways was excellent. Bachman made a couple of spectacular saves and was a wall on the 5 on 3s.

did this get re-posted? I swear I read it already, but the thing says it was just posted... I'm really confused.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
did this get re-posted? I swear I read it already, but the thing says it was just posted... I'm really confused.

This is a re-post from Friday night's game. I don't get why it's here either, but rest assure you are not losing it just yet. LOL

I came on just now looking for Orca's post and found the same thing.
I need him to post because I like to play off of his thoughts.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
I know I hate how almost self-loathing some Vancouver "fans" are. I much prefer blatant homerism to that kind of pathetic crap. You won't find many people from other fanbases constantly talking down their own prospects and heaping praise on other teams', that's for sure.
Yup. Good post.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
This, it's almost like half of the fan base hope Virtanen becomes a career 4th liner and Nylander ends up in HHOF.

Not true at all. Just like how criticizing the Mallet pick didn't mean that you wanted him to bust, he was just a poor pick. People are angry because it is looking like we passed on superior players to pick the local kid. I would like nothing more than for Virtanen to become a top line 40 goal beast, I just don't think, given what he's done post-draft, that he will turn out as a top 6 player.

Songtao 88

Dec 26, 2014
Left Coast
[Bad Goalie; Wow! My verbose architect of language uses a double negative.]

I have never thought of Jyrki as "verbose," BG, but the weak double negative indeed seems far below his usual standard.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
In the process of moving atm. Forced eviction. No just kidding. Anyhow screwed up the post. Often would get timed out on posts so i copy and repaste it. Did a write up for Sunday's game but maybe didn't copy it so when I did paste took an earlier post.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor

I have never thought of Jyrki as "verbose," BG, but the weak double negative indeed seems far below his usual standard.
That's not a grammatical error! :laugh: I'm not trying to say "not borne of anything" – quite the opposite. I'm saying that the fear isn't coming out of nowhere – i.e. it isn't baseless.

cf. "not unlike" or "not insignificant". Also very useful and grammatical terms despite being double negatives. :teach2:

This semantic lesson has been brought to you by Utica Comets' season ticket holder @Tolerated13, who posted some nice pics of the game against Toronto:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

Correct. I should have said "My eloguent architect of language"

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
That's not a grammatical error! :laugh: I'm not trying to say "not borne of anything" – quite the opposite. I'm saying that the fear isn't coming out of nowhere – i.e. it isn't baseless.

cf. "not unlike" or "not insignificant". Also very useful and grammatical terms despite being double negatives. :teach2:

This semantic lesson has been brought to you by Utica Comets' season ticket holder @Tolerated13, who posted some nice pics of the game against Toronto:

Scrap the word verbose and replace it with eloquent.

See when we less eloquent speakers try to use "big" words we sometimes **** up.

A friend of mine often recommends a restaurant as having good food, but be warned it's not inexpensive. Simple folk would say it's not cheap or simply it's expensive.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
In the process of moving atm. Forced eviction. No just kidding. Anyhow screwed up the post. Often would get timed out on posts so i copy and repaste it. Did a write up for Sunday's game but maybe didn't copy it so when I did paste took an earlier post.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Maybe Orcatown reposted his Friday game report because the Comets played a similar game on Sunday with most of the same cast of characters getting the same reviews.

Once again, as it seems to be the case in the last several games, Hamilton, Bancks, Zalewski, Friesen, Archibald, Jensen and Jones carry the load. They are all blue collar guys who come to work every night and they did so again on Sunday afternoon in Toronto. Freisen and Z chipped in short handed goals with Friesen's being the game winner. Friesen also scored another.

The PK while surrendering 2 more in spite of great efforts from Wacey, Alex, Z, and Carter.

The PK is suffering from the loss of it's top D on the kill, Biega, Fedun, and Pedan. They were 3 of the 4 D-men used to kill the penalties that had them sitting as the #4 PK team in the AHL. Ehrhardt was the 4th.

Losing Pedan to the 'Nucks saw all 3 of the D just mentioned out of the lineup. Killing penalties and playing solid D with Ehrhardt and Negrin as your top 2, followed by Landry and Subban, and completed with Sautner and Shields is going to make that task much harder. The Comets played yesterday without a 7th D-man and have until Wednesday to remedy that and Cederholm is the only call-up they can get from the Zoo.

Wait, I just had an epiphany. The Comets have their own clone of Weber in the person of Mackenzie Stewart. He can play forward or defense in cases of emergency. If there is no emergency, he won't be missed occupying a seat in the press box.

The forwards who seem to be along for the ride with their effort, Gaunce, Grenier, Cassels, Vey, and whomever replaces Virtanen and Kenins, need to play with the tenacity of the lunch bucket guys to keep the Comets moving forward on the path they've traveled for the last 10 games (7 wins, 2 losses, and 1OT loss for 15 out of 20 possible points).

The D payed well enough to win with goal support. The Comets have still not won a game in which they have scored less than 3 goals. That's not a good thing in a league in which most teams on average give up less than 3 goals per game. The Marlies were on a 6 game win streak in which they had yielded 5 goals total.

Utica's D is currently swimming in the deep end with beginner and intermediate swimmers. They are fine for some shifts, but sooner or later one or two struggle and start to drown. If the goalie isn't a good life saver, the puck ends up in the net. Then a new group jumps in a they start all over again.

The D can help the cause by chipping in on the score sheet. Word came down this morning that Jordan Subban was credited with the tying goal in the last minute giving him 2 for the night, his 2nd and 3rd of the season. He helped the team and his own cause since his hooking penalty in the first which saved him from allowing another opponent to beat him and take the puck to the net was only a short lived escape as they Marlies scored on the ensuing PP to tie the game in the first. So, for a change, he finished ahead for the game 2-1.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

Repeat post. You are struggling here buddy. This post was up just less than an hour ago (11:12). Take care of business. We'll be here when you come back. Relax.

You seem to have bigger fish to fry at the moment.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Linden, Benning, Desjardins in Utica tonight.

Could be looking at Friesen to see about releasing McCann to Team Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad