28 Alex Grenier
34 Carter Bancks (Utica)
36 Wacey Hamilton (Utica)
57 Mackenze Stewart​

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
orcatown - Last post on the previous thread

Good push in the third period and with a little more accurate shooting could have made it real close. However, were absolutely out-played in the first two periods. Springfield was the best team they've seen and they just man-handled the Comets with Dustin Jeffrey toying with the Comets at some points.

Bachman should have had couple of the early goals gut he was more or less left on his own. Defense was poor - most noteably Negrin (who sunk back to previous form) , Ehrhardt and Subban. Also Pedan got forced into bad plays by the Springfield forecheck.

Would say that Subban redeem himself with a strong second half as his speed and passing ignited the offense. Once this player gets wound up and moving ahead, he is a force. But there are still a lot of issues to clean up in how he plays the defensive blue line and covering players coming out of the corner.

Shinkaruk converted the neat back pass from Grenier on a nice little play the Comets work but in much of the rest of the game got smothered. As BG has pointed out this is the key to Shinkaruk moving up. He has to find ways of competing when he faces the kind of veteran and large defense he faced in this game.

btw Aulie very much contributes to this size and it would have been great had the Comets given him a PTO.

Thought Vey was better although still not strong in his own. Also Bancks was very good.

Outside of the defensemen some others who struggled were Gaunce, Hamilton, LaBate and Cassels.

Gaunce looked very poor in transition and was caught standing still at center ice on several occasions. Easy to blame the defense but Gaunce was not covering back well at all and this was the one of the main causes of the frequent early odd man rushes. Also, he fumbled with the puck (especially on the PP) and mostly looked slow and awkward. Too bad as he was coming off a very good game. Might be as the speed goes up, Gaunce begins to have problems.

Gaunce did get a shift at center in the second as Green tried to get the team going with some line changes.

Cassels was again not able to compete on any kind of sustained basis. Play is too fast for him and players too strong. Looked like he wanted to fight late in the game which may have been a result of frustration.

LaBate - another player poor on the backcheck. Also very limited on the offense.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
orcatown - Last post on the previous thread

Good push in the third period and with a little more accurate shooting could have made it real close. However, were absolutely out-played in the first two periods. Springfield was the best team they've seen and they just man-handled the Comets with Dustin Jeffrey toying with the Comets at some points.

Bachman should have had couple of the early goals gut he was more or less left on his own. Defense was poor - most noteably Negrin (who sunk back to previous form) , Ehrhardt and Subban. Also Pedan got forced into bad plays by the Springfield forecheck.

Would say that Subban redeem himself with a strong second half as his speed and passing ignited the offense. Once this player gets wound up and moving ahead, he is a force. But there are still a lot of issues to clean up in how he plays the defensive blue line and covering players coming out of the corner.

Shinkaruk converted the neat back pass from Grenier on a nice little play the Comets work but in much of the rest of the game got smothered. As BG has pointed out this is the key to Shinkaruk moving up. He has to find ways of competing when he faces the kind of veteran and large defense he faced in this game.

btw Aulie very much contributes to this size and it would have been great had the Comets given him a PTO.

Thought Vey was better although still not strong in his own. Also Bancks was very good.

Outside of the defensemen some others who struggled were Gaunce, Hamilton, LaBate and Cassels.

Gaunce looked very poor in transition and was caught standing still at center ice on several occasions. Easy to blame the defense but Gaunce was not covering back well at all and this was the one of the main causes of the frequent early odd man rushes. Also, he fumbled with the puck (especially on the PP) and mostly looked slow and awkward. Too bad as he was coming off a very good game. Might be as the speed goes up, Gaunce begins to have problems.

Gaunce did get a shift at center in the second as Green tried to get the team going with some line changes.

Cassels was again not able to compete on any kind of sustained basis. Play is too fast for him and players too strong. Looked like he wanted to fight late in the game which may have been a result of frustration.

LaBate - another player poor on the backcheck. Also very limited on the offense.

I'm not going to wade into this one like normal, but I've got a few things to add.

The Comets came out in this one as if their last game proved how good they are. By the time they woke up it was 6-1. Not sure if their third period push was as much them as it was the Falcons figuring it was over. Probably a bit of both. An overall poor performance by all of them.

The team defense was porous. The actual D-men were not stellar either, but the Negrin/Subban pairing just cannot happen. They were on the ice for two of the first 3 even strength goals. Then Subban was also out there for the next one, this time with Ehrhardt. Biega and Ehrhardt both got caught on the ice with him for the first ES goal. Negrin was also out there for a third with Biega. It's becoming a curse to be paired with Subban. Two of those goals can be directly put on him as he gave the puck away on both of them, one in which he couldn't control the puck, got it swiped and then watched the guy go score. The second he made a direct pass to the goal scorer.

He may have turned up his offensive game in the second half, but it will never make up for his his ineptitude in his own end. Maybe the Stewart project is being tried on the wrong guy.

Biega - Looked very rusty. Was also out there for 3 against, but Subbie/Negrin were the main culprits on all of them combined with brain dead, lead footed forwards.

The forwards are not contributing effectively in their own zone. They are waiting for the D to capture the puck and get it up to them and then they lose it if the D does get it to them. They are not aggressive on the puck in their own end. Too much stationary play. The gap is very poor on movement up the ice (forwards too far ahead) and coming back up the ice (forwards too far behind).

Shinkaruk - This was the type of game I've been talking about that Hunter has to also learn to play. He was invisible most of the night at even strength. Green actually put Archi out in his stead on several shifts. He has to learn how to create space for himself against bigger stronger forwards and particularly D-men. The Springfield D was big and mostly a veteran crew who were very effective in denying Hunter access to the hot spots. It doesn't help that Vey won't go anywhere near guys like this either.

Jensen - Nick worked hard once again and was not intimidated by the Springfield D. He scored and had several good opportunities throughout the game. Good effort on his first game back after injury. He was on the Shink/Vey line. If he could find success, no reason his line mates couldn't.

Gaunce - Last night we saw the emergence of Gaunce's problems last season. When he has to skate and maneuver against teams that play the man well and deny space, he gets lost. When people are faster than him, he gets caught in limbo. He doesn't get too deep because he can't get back, but that takes him out of the offense and he ends up standing around and the game passes him by in both directions.

Cassels - Same old same old. Either he can't skate, which makes no sense based on his past, or he is in over his head vs. men, because he makes no impact at all when on the ice. Patience is one thing, but he has to show he deserves the patience with a concerted effort which reveals he has a sense for the game. He has been too good in Jrs. to believe he doesn't get the game. Something has to click here pretty soon. He needs to show some signs of life.

LaBate - I've been skeptical of Joe since his arrival last season. He just seems too slow and almost clunky. His puck handling is nothing to write home about either. He has a good shot as proven in practice. Problem is he never gets into a situation where he can use it in a game. He seems to spend most of his shifts in the neutral zones. The rush gets ahead of him and he's trailing the play back up the ice. Not LAZY, just not keeping up.

Hamilton - Wacey wasn't all together last night either. He is not a turnover type guy, but he was doing it with uncanny regularity last night. Some nights it just goes all to Hell and it seemed that way for him last night. I don't expect that to become a norm.

Bancks - Carter was an anomaly last night. He was a Comet who played a strong game in both ends. His goal was due completely to his own hard work and extra effort. Too bad nobody joined him.

Hope we see a better effort vs. the Crunch tonight. It is a theme with the Comets to play a real good game following a stinker. Problem this season is they are playing way too many stinkers. The .500 record is indicative of the two headed Comets.

Last edited:

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Good write up BG. I just want to point out that Friesen, Gaunce and Jensen were all practicing in no contact jerseys earlier in the week. Freeze didn't play last night and Gaunce probably had his worse game of the year. He may not be fully healthy yet which would explain his performance last night. He just wasn't hard on the puck like you would expect from him.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Anyone who watched cassels in jnr i know u cant put his foot speed into perspective aginst ahlers but do you think hes slowed down from the injury. Did he have enough rehab.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Anyone who watched cassels in jnr i know u cant put his foot speed into perspective aginst ahlers but do you think hes slowed down from the injury. Did he have enough rehab.

He was always super slow.

Oshawa were like the Kings of the CHL, didn't use speed to burn you but extremely smart players and played a really tight system.

Utica plays a fast system of run and gun.

It'll take some time for him to adjust but I do not see how it's not a big problem. Once Cassels feet catch up to the AHL game he'll be fine. He's a extremely smart player. It'll take time for him to adjust.

It really isn't anything to worry about really.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Good write up BG. I just want to point out that Friesen, Gaunce and Jensen were all practicing in no contact jerseys earlier in the week. Freeze didn't play last night and Gaunce probably had his worse game of the year. He may not be fully healthy yet which would explain his performance last night. He just wasn't hard on the puck like you would expect from him.

You could have a point with Gauncie on this. I saw all the greens on Wednesday.

However, his game last night was very reminiscent of the way he often played last year. It was that same effort that got him benched in the playoffs. Some teams have a system that he just can't seem to figure out and when it happens we see the Gaunce we saw last night.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'm not going to wade into this one like normal, but I've got a few things to add.

The Comets came out in this one as if their last game proved how good they are. By the time they woke up it was 6-1. Not sure if their third period push was as much them as it was the Falcons figuring it was over. Probably a bit of both. An overall poor performance by all of them.

The team defense was porous. The actual D-men were not stellar either, but the Negrin/Subban pairing just cannot happen. They were on the ice for two of the first 3 even strength goals. Then Subban was also out there for the next one, this time with Ehrhardt. Biega and Ehrhardt both got caught on the ice with him for the first ES goal. Negrin was also out there for a third with Biega. It's becoming a curse to be paired with Subban. Two of those goals can be directly put on him as he gave the puck away on both of them, one in which he couldn't control the puck, got it swiped and then watched the guy go score. The second he made a direct pass to the goal scorer.

He may have turned up his offensive game in the second half, but it will never make up for his his ineptitude in his own end. Maybe the Stewart project is being tried on the wrong guy.

Biega - Looked very rusty. Was also out there for 3 against, but Subbie/Negrin were the main culprits on all of them combined with brain dead, lead footed forwards.

The forwards are not contributing effectively in their own zone. They are waiting for the D to capture the puck and get it up to them and then they lose it if the D does get it to them. They are not aggressive on the puck in their own end. Too much stationary play. The gap is very poor on movement up the ice (forwards too far ahead) and coming back up the ice (forwards too far behind).

Shinkaruk - This was the type of game I've been talking about that Hunter has to also learn to play. He was invisible most of the night at even strength. Green actually put Archi out in his stead on several shifts. He has to learn how to create space for himself against bigger stronger forwards and particularly D-men. The Springfield D was big and mostly a veteran crew who were very effective in denying Hunter access to the hot spots. It doesn't help that Vey won't go anywhere near guys like this either.

Jensen - Nick worked hard once again and was not intimidated by the Springfield D. He scored and had several good opportunities throughout the game. Good effort on his first game back after injury. He was on the Shink/Vey line. If he could find success, no reason his line mates couldn't.

Gaunce - Last night we saw the emergence of Gaunce's problems last season. When he has to skate and maneuver against teams that play the man well and deny space, he gets lost. When people are faster than him, he gets caught in limbo. He doesn't get too deep because he can't get back, but that takes him out of the offense and he ends up standing around and the game passes him by in both directions.

Cassels - Same old same old. Either he can't skate, which makes no sense based on his past, or he is in over his head vs. men, because he makes no impact at all when on the ice. Patience is one thing, but he has to show he deserves the patience with a concerted effort which reveals he has a sense for the game. He has been too good in Jrs. to believe he doesn't get the game. Something has to click here pretty soon. He needs to show some signs of life.

LaBate - I've been skeptical of Joe since his arrival last season. He just seems too slow and almost clunky. His puck handling is nothing to write home about either. He has a good shot as proven in practice. Problem is he never gets into a situation where he can use it in a game. He seems to spend most of his shifts in the neutral zones. The rush gets ahead of him and he's trailing the play back up the ice. Not LAZY, just not keeping up.

Hamilton - Wacey wasn't all together last night either. He is not a turnover type guy, but he was doing it with uncanny regularity last night. Some nights it just goes all to Hell and it seemed that way for him last night. I don't expect that to become a norm.

Bancks - Carter was an anomaly last night. He was a Comet who played a strong game in both ends. His goal was due completely to his own hard work and extra effort. Too bad nobody joined him.

Hope we see a better effort vs. the Crunch tonight. It is a theme with the Comets to play a real good game following a stinker. Problem this season is they are playing way too many stinkers. The .500 record is indicative of the two headed Comets.

Talk about trial by fire!...pairing a raw rookie like Subban with Negrin?....not sure what TG sees in that combo....surely they need to pair an offensive and gambling d-man like Subban with some kind of stay-at-home guy....what about Pedan, or do they play the same side?

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
He was always super slow.

Oshawa were like the Kings of the CHL, didn't use speed to burn you but extremely smart players and played a really tight system.

Utica plays a fast system of run and gun.

It'll take some time for him to adjust but I do not see how it's not a big problem. Once Cassels feet catch up to the AHL game he'll be fine. He's a extremely smart player. It'll take time for him to adjust.

It really isn't anything to worry about really.

"I do not see how it's not a big problem."

This statement says you do see his lack of speed as a big problem. Double negatives make a positive. LOL

Don't think that's what you intended to say, but I think it will be something to worry about if he can't gain speed. Right now the game just completely passes him by.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
"I do not see how it's not a big problem."

This statement says you do see his lack of speed as a big problem. Double negatives make a positive. LOL

Don't think that's what you intended to say, but I think it will be something to worry about if he can't gain speed. Right now the game just completely passes him by.

Yeah you are right :laugh:

Definitly did not mean to make it a double negative.

His lack of foot speed would be a concren but I feel like he will catch up. He's played a **** ton of games last year and was playing through injuries.

He had 20 grind it out physical games in the ohl playoffs + Mem cup last year. Where he had to play through injuries.

Sure, he might not look good right now, but I'd give him a year to adjust. He had the shortest time to prepare in the summer out of all our prospects. I have no doubt in my mind he'll get better.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Talk about trial by fire!...pairing a raw rookie like Subban with Negrin?....not sure what TG sees in that combo....surely they need to pair an offensive and gambling d-man like Subban with some kind of stay-at-home guy....what about Pedan, or do they play the same side?

They play opposite sides. Pedan is on the 1st pairing with either Fedun or Biega, usually Fedun.

This Negrin/Subban thing failed earlier when it was tried and I stated then it couldn't float.

Negrin's success has only come with Fedun.

Subban causes his own problems in the defensive end and his partner can't save him from the type of plays that have beaten him. Most common is just being blown past. Second is being stripped of the puck. Third is the giveaway pass. He has to shore up his own game to be effective with anyone.

If Sautner was healthy I wouldn't have been surprised to see Subban get the press box tonight. I don't believe he's ready yet and doubt Daniels gets a look without a couple practices first.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Yeah you are right :laugh:

Definitly did not mean to make it a double negative.

His lack of foot speed would be a concren but I feel like he will catch up. He's played a **** ton of games last year and was playing through injuries.

He had 20 grind it out physical games in the ohl playoffs + Mem cup last year. Where he had to play through injuries.

Sure, he might not look good right now, but I'd give him a year to adjust. He had the shortest time to prepare in the summer out of all our prospects. I have no doubt in my mind he'll get better.

I understand all the reasoning here and am on record supporting the need for patience with him. However, he can't be a major detriment every game for a season. He has to start to at least carry his own weight. Right now that's not the case.

Hunter wasn't good last year and patience had to be extended in his case, but he was at least involved and had chances, made an effort and got smacked trying, but he carried his weight enough not to be a constant liability. If you were a stranger to the Canucks and the Comets and dropped in to watch a game, you'd probably ask. "Who is that #24 and why is he playing? Don't they have a guy better than that?" That's not a good position to be in.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
No Shinkaruk tonight. He's in Toronto to sit in the press box for the Canucks.

Don't know that for sure, but it's Willie's MO.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Blows my mind that negrin was put out to babysit subban when negrin needs a babysitter him self.......

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
I understand all the reasoning here and am on record supporting the need for patience with him. However, he can't be a major detriment every game for a season. He has to start to at least carry his own weight. Right now that's not the case.

Hunter wasn't good last year and patience had to be extended in his case, but he was at least involved and had chances, made an effort and got smacked trying, but he carried his weight enough not to be a constant liability. If you were a stranger to the Canucks and the Comets and dropped in to watch a game, you'd probably ask. "Who is that #24 and why is he playing? Don't they have a guy better than that?" That's not a good position to be in.

Growing pains are expected. Not like 4th liners on are big impact players anyway.

Let him grind it out on the 4th line like he did his first year in the OHL.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Growing pains are expected. Not like 4th liners on are big impact players anyway.

Let him grind it out on the 4th line like he did his first year in the OHL.

He's not playing on the 4th line. Wacey's line is #4. He's been getting #3 line time. Although his line last night was not the strongest with LaBate and Archi although Arch got kicked up and Shink came down. Last night was a cluster **** anyways.

He also hasn't ground out anything! He hasn't won any battles on the boards, hasn't forechecked worth anything, and his back check has been like the little engine that could trying to catch up with the play. He has to start putting forth the effort that shows he's doing something. Green can't keep throwing him out there when he gives nothing back.

With Friesen out, it's a good time for him to step up and earn his dues. Now no Shink either. Boy is this a time for the kid to wake up.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
utica_comets.png

COMETS GAME DAY!

Utica Comets (5-5-1-1) @ Syracuse Crunch (6-4-0-1)

Onondaga County War Memorial Arena - Syracuse, NY
7:00PM EST - November 14, 2015

Utica leaders:
Goals: Hunter Shinkaruk (10)
Assists: Linden Vey (9)
+/-: Taylor Fedun (+4)
PIMS: Andrey Pedan (26)

Syracuse leaders:
Goals: Jonathan Marchessault (6)
Assists: Anthony DeAngelo, Joel Vermin (6)
+/-: Jonathan Marchessault, Matt Taormina, Tanner Richard (+4)
PIMS: Jake Dotchin (22)

*Hunter Shinkaruk not on the roster for Utica
*Matt Taormina not on the roster for Syracuse

Projected starting goalies:

Utica
Joe Cannata (9 GP, 4-3-1, 2.05 GAA, .917 Save%, 1 shutout)

Syracuse
Adam Wilcox (5 GP, 2-2-1, 2.74 GAA, .916 Save%, 0 shutouts)​

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Patience BG, Patience.

Cassels will get there.

I'm just waiting for a teeny tiny glimpse.

I saw Bo was Bo when people were complaining he wasn't lighting it up in Utica during his conditioning time.

I saw all kinds of promise in hunter's play last season.

I defended Gaunce when he got the raspberries.

I said we needed patience with Cassels, but Haysus, just show me a reason to believe.

"If I listened hard enough to you
I'd find a way to believe that it's all true
Still I look to find a reason to believe" Rod Stewart

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Interested to see how Green shakes up the lineup tonight. Needs to replace his top LW and top PP scorer. It's a time for some to step up and show why they were drafted #1 and others to show why they should be considered future Canucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad