OT - NO POLITICS The TV thread - RIP Miss Jean - Boston's Romper Room teacher

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Speaking of subtitles, has anyone started watching Bear Town (HBO Max)? It’s about an NHL player who moves back to Sweden at the end of his career to coach a local team:

I’ve only seen the first ep so I haven’t gotten to the trauma and turmoil yet...

Never heard of it but cool premise!

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Currently way into Call My Agent on Netflix. Highly recommended, unless you can't deal with subtitles.

Almost done with Cobra Kai (so ridiculous and over the top) and The Crown.

Finishing up Superstore. Sad to see it go as it has become an all-time favorite but I'm grateful for the comedy gold it offered.
Call My Agent is great. I've been really slow getting through it and am in season 2 or 3 right now I believe. It's good for keeping my French sharp.

I watched the Netflix documentary on Pele last night. Pretty good view of his experiences at the World Cup but I think they're way too hard on him for not engaging in activism and don't spend enough time on his club career or anything after 1970 really.

Reactions: Gordon Lightfoot

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Call My Agent is great. I've been really slow getting through it and am in season 2 or 3 right now I believe. It's good for keeping my French sharp.

I watched the Netflix documentary on Pele last night. Pretty good view of his experiences at the World Cup but I think they're way too hard on him for not engaging in activism and don't spend enough time on his club career or anything after 1970 really.

Oh wow, didn't know there was a Pele documentary, thanks!

Nice to see another Call My Agent fan.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
As some of you know I spend a lot of time trying to archive broadcast history and in the past few months, a mysterious uploader to YouTube has been posting videos that have not been seen in a half-century.

On Friday they posted this video of a Johnny Carson show from New York that aired 55 years ago. It features a drunk Woody Allen and Kermit the Frog. Carson gushes at the talent of a young Jim Henson and back then Johnny was a kingmaker.

I am in a group with serious video archivists from around the country and nobody knew this tape existed in color until today.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
As some of you know I spend a lot of time trying to archive broadcast history and in the past few months, a mysterious uploader to YouTube has been posting videos that have not been seen in a half-century.

On Friday they posted this video of a Johnny Carson show from New York that aired 55 years ago. It features a drunk Woody Allen and Kermit the Frog. Carson gushes at the talent of a young Jim Henson and back then Johnny was a kingmaker.

I am in a group with serious video archivists from around the country and nobody knew this tape existed in color until today.

As a serious Henson/Muppets fan, this is very cool. Not a huge amount of Kermit 'pre-frill' footage out there. Thanks for posting it!

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
As a serious Henson/Muppets fan, this is very cool. Not a huge amount of Kermit 'pre-frill' footage out there. Thanks for posting it!

1965-66 Kermit was still a bit player as Rowlf the dog was the franchise.

Carson liked Kermit and the rest is history.

Henson died the day after the Bruins lost Game 1 of the 1990 SCF in 3OT.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

Very true about Rowlf. His appearances on the Jimmy Dean Show really put Henson on the map in the 60s, and it was Rowlf who symbolised Henson's passing by being temporarily benched from speaking roles in the early 90s. Some of that early work is terrific.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Spending most of the last year in Hampton, NH I have been watching this late-night talk show out of Bangor that airs in Portland.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Spending most of the last year in Hampton, NH I have been watching this late-night talk show out of Bangor that airs in Portland.

that's Hearst for you....

some you retro fans might get a kick out of Heroes and Icons..... which does House, JAG(the precursor to the NCIS franchise), Monk, and Nash Bridges.

Baywatch will be added in the 6 pm slot as of 3/11-19

and those who like Star Trek all 4 series run 6 OUT of the 7 days.... except Saturday

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton

Yeah , I saw that Pele documentary. What an amazing athlete he was .

Reactions: McGarnagle

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

The real tragedy in his death was that he had been coughing and run-down for quite a while but was such a workaholic that he wouldn't let himself stop and go to a doctor to get it cleared up.

I was listening to a podcast episode about it, and they played a clip of his last public appearance on Arsenio two weeks before his death, and he was coughing throughout it.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The real tragedy in his death was that he had been coughing and run-down for quite a while but was such a workaholic that he wouldn't let himself stop and go to a doctor to get it cleared up.

I was listening to a podcast episode about it, and they played a clip of his last public appearance on Arsenio two weeks before his death, and he was coughing throughout it.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
To this day many people associate Boston with the TV sitcom Cheers

What is not as well known is NBC stole the show from Boston's WCVB who produced a local sitcom called Park St Under

Does this look familiar?

But three years before Sam, Diane, Frasier, Carla, and Norm, there was another group of quirky barflies on the airwaves around Boston. September 1979 marked the debut of Park St. Under, a show (stop me if you’ve heard this one) about a Boston neighborhood bar, led by a Red Sox player turned bartender; a short, dark-haired employee with attitude; a world-weary civil servant working for the local government; an absent-minded old-timer offering comic relief; and yes, even a local psychiatrist turning the show’s barroom into a regular place of both business and play. Produced in Needham on a modest budget, it has been touted as the first local, independent weekly sitcom ever made, and during its short run it revolutionized ideas of what an independent broadcast TV station could do. Perhaps most important, it was a hit with Boston audiences before it faded into the pop-culture ether.

The Cheers Conspiracy

aguineapig

Before tuning in, turning on and dropping out thought this would be the Route to take.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Before tuning in, turning on and dropping out thought this would be the Route to take.

In the late summer of 1961, the CBS show Route 66 filmed a scene at the traffic lights at Mass Ave and Wendell St in Cambridge.

They were there for hours and Martin Milner had lunch at Bence's Pharmacy.

Here is the scene as it aired on January 5, 1962.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Somebody thought that having Jay Leno do a live remote from the Boston bar that inspired Cheers would be a great idea on the night the final episode of the show aired. Somehow they did not factor in that it was at a bar and it was 11:35 PM.

NBC sent up a sports truck from New Jersey but early in it became apparent they were in trouble as the cast of Cheers had a few alcoholic beverages. About 10 minutes in Jay was going to make a short walk from the main bar to the back which was slotted to be about 45 seconds but...... I tip my hat to the handheld camera op that was live on the network for much longer than anyone had bargained for.

I worked that night as a freelance cam op for a local Boston-based satellite truck company and we were doing live hits to NBC O&O's in Chicago and LA and got to work with Fritz Coleman.

The Tonight Show staffers were running on fumes as incredibly they had taped in Burbank on Wednesday night, flew to Boston and then did a reverse redeye back to LA to do the Friday show.

I look at the tape today and wonder how close NBC came to pulling the plug on the show.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
that's Hearst for you....

some you retro fans might get a kick out of Heroes and Icons..... which does House, JAG(the precursor to the NCIS franchise), Monk, and Nash Bridges.

Baywatch will be added in the 6 pm slot as of 3/11-19

and those who like Star Trek all 4 series run 6 OUT of the 7 days.... except Saturday

Loved Monk.

The big question is:

Were you a fan of Sharona or Natalie?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad