The travesty that is Justin Schultz on the PP

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
i seriously just can't get over how bad he is.... i was thinking about it again this morning.... i don't know that i've ever seen a worst player who was consistently gifted chance after chance in this league.... certainly not on the oilers, thats for sure
I don't know about taking it that far. JFJ was pretty bad and he got a hell of a lot of chances.
How many games did Will Acton play for this club?

he really is just a travesty on the ice.... whenever i see him on the ice i just EXPECT something bad to happen - imagine how our goaltenders feel when they see him jump over the boards
Poor Schultz ... remember those five minutes there early in the season when the board was all hey, maybe Schultz is back. He's looking pretty solid out there.

Schultz was considered a free first round pick when he signed here. And that wasn't just hfoil dreaming. Pretty much everyone thought so.
You're right when you say that its shocking to see how far off he is from that mark at this point.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
After settling down a bit from last night, I'm not quite so upset with Schultz. I still think we should send him to Bakersfield, but maybe after a bit longer. Maybe after the Vancouver game. He has monumental gaffes but his play in between has value. There's a reason Mclellan uses him a lot. He skates well and moves the puck smoothly. He had a few great one timers last night, so I think he's at least trying to fix his issues. But that SHG on him was like a broken record. He's done that exact flub over and over for years now. If there were a GA on the PP stat he would have a big number on it.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
i seriously just can't get over how bad he is.... i was thinking about it again this morning.... i don't know that i've ever seen a worst player who was consistently gifted chance after chance in this league.... certainly not on the oilers, thats for sure

he really is just a travesty on the ice.... whenever i see him on the ice i just EXPECT something bad to happen - imagine how our goaltenders feel when they see him jump over the boards

Cam Barker, who incidentally, is the player who's career path Schultz is most likely to follow.

Yes, there is a chance he may yet become a player, he has the tools, but that's a bet with very tough odds.

I think he's bound for the Swiss league. He might represent Canada in Spengler Cup someday!

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Cam Barker, who incidentally, is the player who's career path Schultz is most likely to follow.

Yes, there is a chance he may yet become a player, he has the tools, but that's a bet with very tough odds.

I think he's bound for the Swiss league. He might represent Canada in Spengler Cup someday!

I hope not if they want to win.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013

You're selling Barker short. He's currently 3rd in KHL scoring amongst defensemen.:yo:

Schultz in the Swiss league sounds about right though, as he'd still be too soft for the KHL or SEL.

When I heard the opening Chia press conference I though for sure Schultz would not be on the Oilers this year. He was the exact opposite of the type of player Chia wants on his team. Good thing we kept MacTavish and Howson around to pass on their great ideas of how to build a blueline.

Chia- Thoughts on Schultz?

MacT- Well I like him more than Petry, and look at Petry, he's a number 2 or 3 defenseman on a top tier team.

Howson- I still think their is a top 4 defenseman in Nikitin.

Chia- We're talking about Schultz here Scott!

Howson- Well everyone wanted him and he chose us, and I heard a rumor the Oiler's promotional DVD wasn't even needed. Is that correct Craig?

MacT- Unbelievably, yes! But for the record we've upgraded to BlueRay now.

Howson- Everything is awesome!

MacT- Everything is awesome!

Chia- Everything is awesome?

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
He's on pace for 10 points.

He's so wildly out of place in a role he has no business being in. He needs to be a sheltered 3rd pairing, second powerplay guy. That's a 1.5-2m guy, not 4m+.

He's not Doughty, Karlsson, or even Yandle or Krug. He's Jamie McBain.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
He has no business being in the NHL. I've hated him since his rookie season but gave him another chance under the new coaching staff. There is no improvement. The same wimpy, brainless plays over and over again. He ****ing sucks. Get rid of him as soon as the roster freeze is over.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
He's on pace for 10 points.

He's so wildly out of place in a role he has no business being in. He needs to be a sheltered 3rd pairing, second powerplay guy. That's a 1.5-2m guy, not 4m+.

He's not Doughty, Karlsson, or even Yandle or Krug. He's Jamie McBain.

I think this is generous.

I wouldn't want a player as non-physical and defensively inept as Schultz anywhere near the 3rd pair, and I wouldn't want a guy that has scored 5 PP goals in over 600 minutes of PP time anywhere near the second PP unit.

Schultz is literally useless. He does nothing well.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I think this is generous.

I wouldn't want a player as non-physical and defensively inept as Schultz anywhere near the 3rd pair, and I wouldn't want a guy that has scored 5 PP goals in over 600 minutes of PP time anywhere near the second PP unit.

Schultz is literally useless. He does nothing well.

All he can do is move the puck. That's it. He's soft. Doesn't hit. Loses puck battles easily. Has a weak slapper that barely hits the net. His wrister doesn't fool NHL goalies either. He can't make a simple play whatsoever.
You see what Barrie did on the PP. Just a simple shot to the net that went in. Schultz can't even do that. It irritates me to know Schultz keeps getting leverage as the Quarterback on the PP, while somebody in Davidson was sitting the whole entire time. Now Davidson's injured, so Schultz gets even more leverage his way.
3.9M for an offensive d man that has 3 points. He can't put up the points and can't defend. The sooner he's gone ; the better. I had it with Schultz. No progression whatsoever.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
HF boards posters running another player out of town. No wonder no free agents sign here. Good grief.:sarcasm:

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
As far as we know Schultz is still on the team and will keep playing though. I see little indication he will get a severe consequence

there has been no indications whatsoever that management is even *displeased* with his play, let along about to take drastic action.... game after game after game they keep trotting him out on the 1st unit PP, hoping for something different than what happened the last 200 times (whats that definition of insanity again?)

it is pretty clear that justin schultz is somehow "above reproach", its ridiculous and absurd, but its also very clearly true

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
HF boards posters running another player out of town. No wonder no free agents sign here. Good grief.:sarcasm:

say what you will about fickle, prone to anger, HF members, but we are actually usually right when it comes to running people out of town... sure there have been some misses (dubnyk comes to mind), but more often than not, the "angry mob" has been pretty accurate in our player assessment over the years

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Barring a miraculous turnaround we either walk from him or deal him for anything of use by seasons end. I would've never thought that he'd be this bad after watching him in OKC during the lockout. No reason at all that he shouldn't at least be Tyson Barrie's equal IMO.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Barring a miraculous turnaround we either walk from him or deal him for anything of use by seasons end. I would've never thought that he'd be this bad after watching him in OKC during the lockout. No reason at all that he shouldn't at least be Tyson Barrie's equal IMO.

Its irritating to see how Barrie can make a simple wrister for a goal on the avs PP, while Schultz on the other hand is putrid.

Rafters

Aug 10, 2003
Medicine Hat
Visit site
Its irritating to see how Barrie can make a simple wrister for a goal on the avs PP, while Schultz on the other hand is putrid.

Maybe because Barrie can get his writer through traffic....while Schultz is afraid to shoot....and there is never any traffic in front from the Oilers PP units ....

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
After settling down a bit from last night, I'm not quite so upset with Schultz. I still think we should send him to Bakersfield, but maybe after a bit longer. Maybe after the Vancouver game. He has monumental gaffes but his play in between has value. There's a reason Mclellan uses him a lot. He skates well and moves the puck smoothly. He had a few great one timers last night, so I think he's at least trying to fix his issues. But that SHG on him was like a broken record. He's done that exact flub over and over for years now. If there were a GA on the PP stat he would have a big number on it.

The problem is he is costing the team goals and they have been glaringly bad. More so than usual. He's also one of the softest dmen out there and gets pushed off the puck so easily.

If he can actually find his game, get tougher and make smarter plays then he's a keeper. But that might be asking too much for someone who should know by know what it takes. :(

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Maybe because Barrie can get his writer through traffic....while Schultz is afraid to shoot....and there is never any traffic in front from the Oilers PP units ....

There's more problems to that. Schultz can barely handle the puck at the blueline. His shots barely seem to get to the net either. Of course, there's a lack of traffic in front of the net, but the main problem is the lack of a strong quarterback on the backend. Schultz doesn't fit that criteria.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
say what you will about fickle, prone to anger, HF members, but we are actually usually right when it comes to running people out of town... sure there have been some misses (dubnyk comes to mind), but more often than not, the "angry mob" has been pretty accurate in our player assessment over the years

A lot of fans didn't like Petry until last year. Fans can make huge mistakes as well.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
He's a #5/6 Dman who needs a stay at home partner who can actually play defence in order to succeed, which for him I'm not exactly sure what is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad