The travesty that is Justin Schultz on the PP

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Honestly at this point the team would be better off waiving Schultz, and then using a 4th to find a stopgap until the off-season when more options are available

Boyle, Zidlicky, Frason, Gilbert, Wisniewski, Rundblad... I‘d rather any of these guys playing compared to Justin...

without question the oilers would be better off if we simply waived him.... we likely win last nights game with any other player playing instead of schultz for instance, and this isn't the only game where he has been the reason we lost.... sadly, its a very common occurrence

schultz performs so far below a "replacement level player" that its not even funny.... reinhart, for as bad as he was, is miles and MILES better than schultz

McDeathbyCheerios*

I hope Hunt replaces him on the pp and we start scoring. Just to seal the deal that Schultz is gone.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
without question the oilers would be better off if we simply waived him.... we likely win last nights game with any other player playing instead of schultz for instance, and this isn't the only game where he has been the reason we lost.... sadly, its a very common occurrence

schultz performs so far below a "replacement level player" that its not even funny.... reinhart, for as bad as he was, is miles and MILES better than schultz

I didn't think Reinhart was all that bad, he just wasn't as good as Nurse, and all other D would need to clear waivers

They still have this undying belief in Schultz. He can skate the puck thru the neutral zone so they keep giving him chances because of it, despite being terrible at every thing else.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
* I went too o/t in my response to post this in the McLellan thread, so I post it here instead. Mods, I hope that is OK?

Schultz doesn't have offensive instinct.
This is just false. Offensive instincts are about the only kind of instincts Schultz has.
Those instincts are what got him into the NHL, and having no other instincts besides is what is going to finish him in the NHL.

Schultz was a wizard on the PP in his first season and during the lockout. That unit made it look easy. Fans on this board were writing our Stanley lineup cards and wondering how many records this team would shatter. I am not joking. Those conversations happened.

Look at the goal Schultz scored the other night. Its a textbook example of offensive instinct and vision. Watch him read the play from the blueline and time his move perfectly. Its the only kind of goal Schultz knows how to score with regularity because his shot is so weak, but it was a thing of beauty to behold. A perfectly executed hockey play between him and Hall (was it?). Like the game was meant to be played.

The thing with Schultz is that the Oilers have flat out wrecked him. As usual they never take a thought to the player's skill set and instead try to use the player in a role they would like. In the case of d-men for the Oilers this usually means play the hell out of them against comp they have no business facing while still rookies. Further, it also usually means play them with someone who is not a style complement and probably on his last legs in the league. I mean its just a ****ing disgrace the way this team handles d-men. And here we are again giving Klefbom and Nurse twenty five minutes a night on the top pairings and hoping that its going to work out different this time. This after the team specifically saying they had learned their lessons and were going to develop these kids properly. Sometimes I hate this team so much. Fans should be livid and screaming about the state of the defense. :rant:

Now Schultz realizes all that goes into being an NHL defenceman. And being force-fed heavy minutes against guys that make a living eating guys like him for lunch. Of course he realizes he's in over his head and starts panicking. Mistakes pile up. He has no more time for going with his offensive instincts because he's too concerned about not ending up on the bloopers again. Next game he slaps the puck right into his own goal. Feels like an utter ********. Gets mocked hard all over the interweb. This guy isn't going to be making confident plays on the PP. He's probably looking at every shift as a success if he hasn't directly caused a GA.

Not making excuses for Schultz, but I can empathize with his situation. I guess that puts me in the minority, and I expect the usuals to say "oh there goes harpoon making excuses for the players again", but there's no doubt in my mind that Justin Schultz would be a different player today if he'd only signed in Anaheim.

And to say that he doesn't have offensive instincts is imo a complete misread of the player.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I totally agree with the previous poster that McLellan is playing Schultz as a message to Chiarelli.

It's not a middle finger like some say though. It's just a simple statement. "This is my puck moving defenseman. This is what he does. This is all I have." Chiarelli responds by calling up Hunt. Hunt doesn't make it out of practice. "No Peter, that won't do it"

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I wasn't sure if I should put this in the line combo thread or this one. I chose this one as Schultz is listed on the second pp unit. They're still running with the 4 F, 1 D setup.

According to Bob from earlier in the day:

PP unit #1:

Hall-Draistl-Purcell
Lander (huh.)-Hunt

PP unit #2:

Pouliot-RNH-Eberle
Letestu (interesting.)-Schultz :)facepalm:) swapping with Sekera

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I wasn't sure if I should put this in the line combo thread or this one. I chose this one as Schultz is listed on the second pp unit. They're still running with the 4 F, 1 D setup.

According to Bob from earlier in the day:

PP unit #1:

Hall-Draistl-Purcell
Lander (huh.)-Hunt

PP unit #2:

Pouliot-RNH-Eberle
Letestu (interesting.)-Schultz :)facepalm:) swapping with Sekera

I assume Lander will be in front of the net? Who knows. He was able to pot some goals last year by doing that. Still an atrocious player this year unfortunately.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I assume Lander will be in front of the net? Who knows. He was able to pot some goals last year by doing that. Still an atrocious player this year unfortunately.

Mclellan's way of trying to get him on the scoresheet somehow?

The thing that troubles me is because Schultz is listed in front of Sekera, it'll be him to at least start on the powerplay. Depending on how many powerplays they get and how Schultz plays will determine if those two get swapped out during the game.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
I love how PC pretty much called out Schultz during his media scrum when discussing Kassian etc. Didn't name names, but you knew he was talking about him. :laugh:

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
* I went too o/t in my response to post this in the McLellan thread, so I post it here instead. Mods, I hope that is OK?

This is just false. Offensive instincts are about the only kind of instincts Schultz has.
Those instincts are what got him into the NHL, and having no other instincts besides is what is going to finish him in the NHL.

Schultz was a wizard on the PP in his first season and during the lockout. That unit made it look easy. Fans on this board were writing our Stanley lineup cards and wondering how many records this team would shatter. I am not joking. Those conversations happened.

Look at the goal Schultz scored the other night. Its a textbook example of offensive instinct and vision. Watch him read the play from the blueline and time his move perfectly. Its the only kind of goal Schultz knows how to score with regularity because his shot is so weak, but it was a thing of beauty to behold. A perfectly executed hockey play between him and Hall (was it?). Like the game was meant to be played.

The thing with Schultz is that the Oilers have flat out wrecked him. As usual they never take a thought to the player's skill set and instead try to use the player in a role they would like. In the case of d-men for the Oilers this usually means play the hell out of them against comp they have no business facing while still rookies. Further, it also usually means play them with someone who is not a style complement and probably on his last legs in the league. I mean its just a ****ing disgrace the way this team handles d-men. And here we are again giving Klefbom and Nurse twenty five minutes a night on the top pairings and hoping that its going to work out different this time. This after the team specifically saying they had learned their lessons and were going to develop these kids properly. Sometimes I hate this team so much. Fans should be livid and screaming about the state of the defense. :rant:

Now Schultz realizes all that goes into being an NHL defenceman. And being force-fed heavy minutes against guys that make a living eating guys like him for lunch. Of course he realizes he's in over his head and starts panicking. Mistakes pile up. He has no more time for going with his offensive instincts because he's too concerned about not ending up on the bloopers again. Next game he slaps the puck right into his own goal. Feels like an utter ********. Gets mocked hard all over the interweb. This guy isn't going to be making confident plays on the PP. He's probably looking at every shift as a success if he hasn't directly caused a GA.

Not making excuses for Schultz, but I can empathize with his situation. I guess that puts me in the minority, and I expect the usuals to say "oh there goes harpoon making excuses for the players again", but there's no doubt in my mind that Justin Schultz would be a different player today if he'd only signed in Anaheim.

And to say that he doesn't have offensive instincts is imo a complete misread of the player.

He was a wizard in the AHL. All the wizardry stopped as soon as he graduated. Lets not pretend his first NHL season was some how magical.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
He was a wizard in the AHL. All the wizardry stopped as soon as he graduated. Lets not pretend his first NHL season was some how magical.

Schultz had 8 goals and 27 points in 48 games. That put him at 8th in goals and 12th in points amongst defensemen. He was also tied for 7th in ppp's and all of 2 points out of third in that category. How many rookies managed that sort of production? If you go back to 2005-2006 the only rookie defensemen who beat that pace were Phaneuf with 49 points in 82 games, Myers with 48 in 82, Shattenkirk with 43 in 72 and Klingberg last year.

As Harpoon pointed out Schultz was very good offensively in his first year.

Last edited:

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
I totally agree with the previous poster that McLellan is playing Schultz as a message to Chiarelli.

It's not a middle finger like some say though. It's just a simple statement. "This is my puck moving defenseman. This is what he does. This is all I have." Chiarelli responds by calling up Hunt. Hunt doesn't make it out of practice. "No Peter, that won't do it"

Hunt didn't even make it into town on time to play in the game, it wasn't that he didn't make it out of practice. I like the narrative though...haha.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
This guy plays so scared there's little poo nuggets following him around the ice.

I think this is especially the case since he came back from his injury. To start the season he was actually playing like he got a new set of balls, but now, the guy is back to being allergic to any physical contact on the ice. Just full on panic mode as soon as he sees a player coming at him. He's just so painful to watch out there in our end of the ice.

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
Schultz had 8 goals and 27 points in 48 games. That put him at 8th in goals and 12th in points amongst defensemen. He was also tied for 7th in ppp's and all of 2 points out of third in that category. How many rookies managed that sort of production? If you go back to 2005-2006 the only rookie defensemen who beat that pace were Phaneuf with 49 points in 82 games, Myers with 48 in 82, Shattenkirk with 43 in 72 and Klingberg last year.

So what? his first year is exactly that. Now EVERY NHL team knows how to play him, they know what he's going to do with the puck and what he can't do. You're basically saying he hasn't progressed, which is exactly what we all know. He has regressed, or stayed the exact same player. Everyone else just knows what to do now.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
So what? his first year is exactly that. Now EVERY NHL team knows how to play him, they know what he's going to do with the puck and what he can't do. You're basically saying he hasn't progressed, which is exactly what we all know. He has regressed, or stayed the exact same player. Everyone else just knows what to do now.
What are you arguing about? Nobody is trying to say Schultz is playing well. Or even deserves a spot in the lineup.

The assertion was that Schultz has no offensive instincts.
I disagreed, given that offensive instincts are exactly what made him a sought after signing around the league. And exactly what he displayed until the Oilers broke him.
Someone said no, actually Schultz was no good in his first season, and Fourier kindly showed that he was in fact quite a bit above average.

That's it. No suggestion that Schultz is good today, or will be useful in the future.
Just please don't start making stuff up, like "the guy has no offensive instinct".

Thanks man.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

It would seem that you did not read the post I responded to. I made no claim about his play this year and have already said that I am actually shocked at the fact that he has dropped off offensively. At this point I would not qualify him. Two years ago I thought his offensive game would be enough to risk a longer term extension. I never thought he would be a defensive stud but it is hard to equate the guy I watched in the AHL and in his first year with the player we see to day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad