OT: The Travel Thread

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Yes, New Zealand is as beautiful as Norway. I went on a hike in a subtropical forest that ended in a glacier. There were some wild pigs that originated fromwhen Captain Cook visited and they were nasty, big ass black hairy swines. Did only see captive ones but they were big and angry. I hithchiked from Rotorua to Wellington, people were really friendly. Amazing meat and produce and funny parrots that live in snow capped areas and can attack sheep and another parrot species that destroy cars (tearing off windshield wipers). :) I did some flyfishing, saw repercussions from a major earthquake that happened a year before. There were also a lot of yellow jackets that arrived with a boat from Europe in the 1930s, they had no natural enemies so they spread all over.
Im kind of an unrational traveler, I have trouble going to places where I may not feel safe/with likely natural disasters. NZ is really nice but so scary compared to NA where youre in a "safety bubble".

My GF and I are also looking into living abroad after my studies are done and NZ seems like a good candidate for us, because we dont want to compromise on skiing ( i know, dumb criteria.) and because its easy to expat there, from what I read. Chile, BC and Japan might be other alternative for us.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
It's funny you mention that cause I was thinking out loud before I started this, as to what has always captured my imagination and interest:

Music
Travel
Movies
Books
Food and drinks
Restaurant reviews

And now we have threads on this forum for all of these. My work is done here, ladies and gentlemen. :laugh:

Don't ever stop Runner!

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Im kind of an unrational traveler, I have trouble going to places where I may not feel safe/with likely natural disasters. NZ is really nice but so scary compared to NA where youre in a "safety bubble".

My GF and I are also looking into living abroad after my studies are done and NZ seems like a good candidate for us, because we dont want to compromise on skiing ( i know, dumb criteria.) and because its easy to expat there, from what I read. Chile, BC and Japan might be other alternative for us.

I have heard that it is hard unless you are wealthy, maybe it's easier if you come from within the commonwealth? The only thing to worry about are earthquakes, otherwise it's one of the safest countries.

Reactions: Runner77

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Yes, New Zealand is as beautiful as Norway. I went on a hike in a subtropical forest that ended in a glacier. There were some wild pigs that originated fromwhen Captain Cook visited and they were nasty, big ass black hairy swines. Did only see captive ones but they were big and angry. I hithchiked from Rotorua to Wellington, people were really friendly. Amazing meat and produce and funny parrots that live in snow capped areas and can attack sheep and another parrot species that destroy cars (tearing off windshield wipers). :) I did some flyfishing, saw repercussions from a major earthquake that happened a year before. There were also a lot of yellow jackets that arrived with a boat from Europe in the 1930s, they had no natural enemies so they spread all over.
Love NZ, such a contrast between the North and South Islands. Have been there a few times, Waitoma Caves are incredible. Have only done Hobbiton so far but want to go back at some point and do one of the other LOTR tours.

Queenstown on the South Island is a very fun spot especially for any adrenaline seekers, took a nasty crash there earlier this year mountain biking, left some flesh on some trees that stopped me from falling down a 50 m drop off but thankfully the area also has some great wineries that make good painkillers

Fiji is also a great place, one of the coolest things I've ever done was get dropped off on the little island where they filmed Castaway, spent the day there just with the family, not another soul for about 4 hours til they came back and picked us up - didn't go crazy and start talking to volleyballs. The Fijian people are amazingly friendly, went to another small island and visited one of their villages, what an eye opener what some people live like and yet are all smiles and happy, I point that out to my kids anytime they think they have it bad

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Youd love Costa Rica :laugh:

Speaking of of bugs, I chose Maui, on account of his lack of predators and crawlies....
I was greeted with a 8 or so inches arthropod creeping down on me... while I was in the crapper. Worst experience of my life :laugh:.

A few days later, I woke up with a similar sized slug a few inches from my pretty face, 2nd worst experience of my life :laugh:.

I've heard a lot of similar stories from Australians. Apparently, there is always something waiting to crawl into your shoes. This is why you'll always hear Australians talking about how they stomp their feet, to shake off any crawlers that may have gained on their legs.

Reactions: GoodKiwi and Mrb1p

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
And how's South Korea? Always wanted to travel there.
I have been there a half dozen times. Seoul is amazing, the food is my favorite cuisine. I took a DMZ tour once where we were right on the border where we could see North Korean soldiers...

Incheon airport is consistently considered the cleanest in the world.

Nothing beats a good plate of bulgogi!!

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Love NZ, such a contrast between the North and South Islands. Have been there a few times, Waitoma Caves are incredible. Have only done Hobbiton so far but want to go back at some point and do one of the other LOTR tours.

Queenstown on the South Island is a very fun spot especially for any adrenaline seekers, took a nasty crash there earlier this year mountain biking, left some flesh on some trees that stopped me from falling down a 50 m drop off but thankfully the area also has some great wineries that make good painkillers

Fiji is also a great place, one of the coolest things I've ever done was get dropped off on the little island where they filmed Castaway, spent the day there just with the family, not another soul for about 4 hours til they came back and picked us up - didn't go crazy and start talking to volleyballs. The Fijian people are amazingly friendly, went to another small island and visited one of their villages, what an eye opener what some people live like and yet are all smiles and happy, I point that out to my kids anytime they think they have it bad

Did you try the kava in Fiji, it used to be made by women chewing (or something) leaves and spitting into a bucket and then it was fermented? :) You can tell their national sport is Rugby, have never seen a more powerfully built people.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Did you try the kava in Fiji, it used to be made by women chewing (or something) leaves and spitting into a bucket and then it was fermented? :) You can tell their national sport is Rugby, have never seen a more powerfully built people.
All polynesian are crazy built. Hawai'i is either huge broad shoulders or slim blondies surfing the waves :laugh:

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Yup, at the village they brought us in for the kava ceremony and passed the bowl of what looks like dirty water around for everyone to drink out of, numbs the mouth pretty good, supposed to very good for stress but I was hanging out in the south pacific for a week drinking cocktails, fishing and snorkelling, negative stress :laugh:

Definitely built strong, even the little people there - we had a big bonfire on the beach one night and we were having piggyback races, I had my daughter on my back who was no more than 80 lbs and I was up against this little Fijian guy who was maybe 150 lbs and carrying a guy almost twice his size (picture Kevin Hart's character carrying the Rock in Jumanji), I figured I had it easy but damn could that guy run in the sand, blew me away.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Theres a lot of things that seem more exciting than that in Japan :laugh:

Absolutely. But, it's still a spot that visitors gravitate towards. What the camera is showing is not the best of that area, clearly.

Reactions: GoodKiwi

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace
I like walking/hiking/backpacking. My most exciting trip so far has probably been Iceland. We spent there 20 days a couple of years ago. Drove all around the place and did walk the Laugavegur trail. The scenery is just unbelievable.
I would like to hike John Muir and Apalachian trails at some point.

Going to Paris in 4 weeks. Never actually spent any time there before.

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace
I used to be a helmsman/short voyages navigator when I was a teenager. I got to visit all kind of cities and small places all over Baltic Sea and Russia including northern towns above/near Arctic circle. That was a great way to travel - you get to see all kind of things and get paid too.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I like walking/hiking/backpacking. My most exciting trip so far has probably been Iceland. We spent there 20 days a couple of years ago. Drove all around the place and did walk the Laugavegur trail. The scenery is just unbelievable.
I would like to hike John Muir and Apalachian trails at some point.

Going to Paris in 4 weeks. Never actually spent any time there before.

Should be fun. I haven't been there in a long time. Post some pics if you're up to it. I remember a lot of baguettes bobbing about on late afternoons as I was sitting at a cafe.

I also remembered how their croissants were spectacular but not their coffee. And when I was in Italy, it was the opposite -- spectacular coffee, sucky croissants.

And I recall a learning experience from a fresh produce market -- you can't act like we do in Montreal where we touch everything before we buy. In Paris, you touch it, you buy it.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Iceland holds a magnetic attraction for me. Anywhere North is fine by me. I can't take the heat anymore. My ex almost got a teaching job in Salluit this fall and I was so looking forward to visiting her. I was at James Bay in the 70's and I loved it, especially the skies at night. Amazing.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Iceland holds a magnetic attraction for me. Anywhere North is fine by me. I can't take the heat anymore. My ex almost got a teaching job in Salluit this fall and I was so looking forward to visiting her. I was at James Bay in the 70's and I loved it, especially the skies at night. Amazing.
I swear I hate the heat too, but Hawaii was something else. Its hot, but its a "sun hot" not a "air" hot. The accessibility of the ocean probably plays a huge part in that though.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I swear I hate the heat too, but Hawaii was something else. Its hot, but its a "sun hot" not a "air" hot. The accessibility of the ocean probably plays a huge part in that though.

Which of the islands in Hawaii, did you stay at? I've never been but have seen several HGTV shows -- it looks spectacular.

Reactions: GoodKiwi

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Hawaii I wouldn't say no to, same with Mexico, I love things Spanish.

That's what I liked about Vancouver Island, even when it gets hot in the summer, like high 30's, it's not humid. But I'm happier when I can dress for warmth rather than strip and sweat. :laugh:

Reactions: Mrb1p and Runner77

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur and Singapore are a must see. Rich culture, magnificent scenery and the best street sea food I've ever had. Sri Lanka was ok, wouldn't go back.

I was in Costa Rica a couple of years ago, I would seriously consider moving there in a few years. It's a slice of heaven with greenery as far as the eye can see. The people are very friendly, very laid back, it's contagious. Picked up a box of mangoes from a street side vendor for $5, the sweetest, juiciest you'll every try. Everything is fresh and rich in flavor, you'll feel like you're eating card board when you come back home. Pura Vida indeed.

Cuba is next on my list, my Cuban friend promised to show me around if I ever go there. I'm hoping for a real experience but not sure what to expect.

I would love to visit Japan at some point as well, the juxtaposed traditional culture and ultra modernism are quite intriguing I find.

I'm turning 40 next year so I'm trying to think of something/someplace epic to be/do. Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro sounds interesting, real interesting. I'll have to think it through lol. I'm also intrigued by the idea of backpacking through Asia for a month or two, my friend did it last year and she had one hell of an experience. I'm open to suggestions as well lol.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur and Singapore are a must see. Rich culture, magnificent scenery and the best street sea food I've ever had. Sri Lanka was ok, wouldn't go back.
I don't like KL. Perhaps I've grown numb to the city having to travel there at least twice per year for work over the last 10, or so, years. What makes it tick for you, the amazing street food not-withstanding? I find it to be an ugly city with horrible traffic and air quality.

Cuba is next on my list, my Cuban friend promised to show me around if I ever go there. I'm hoping for a real experience but not sure what to expect.
If you ever decide to visit Cuba and go off the beaten path, let me know. I can hook you up with my friends in both Holguin and Sangiago de Cuba to show you around those regions if you like.

I'm turning 40 next year so I'm trying to think of something/someplace epic to be/do. Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro sounds interesting, real interesting. I'll have to think it through lol. I'm also intrigued by the idea of backpacking through Asia for a month or two, my friend did it last year and she had one hell of an experience. I'm open to suggestions as well lol.
Have you considered Patagonia cave diving? Make no mistake, it's more dangerous than climbing a mountain such as Kilimanjaro, but if you're looking for a thrill, very few things could beat that experience. You will need to get cracking on your licensing as soon as possible though.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Which of the islands in Hawaii, did you stay at? I've never been but have seen several HGTV shows -- it looks spectacular.

Maui, probably the best one. The true spirit of "Aloha" imo. Maybe Molokai, but thats tougher. Ive went on Oahu for a day and it was honestly terrible, the difference between Oahu and the other islands (my guess, and the locals on Maui that Ive spoken to.) Is huge. The feeling is not close.

And it is spectacular, 3000 meter volcano on one side, 1000 meter peaks with lush forest on it on the other side. Beaches everywhere, surfers, pokés, shaved ice and the whole cali vibe with an Aloha vibe.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
I don't like KL. Perhaps I've grown numb to the city having to travel there at least twice per year for work over the last 10, or so, years. What makes it tick for you, the amazing street food not-withstanding? I find it to be an ugly city with horrible traffic and air quality.

If you ever decide to visit Cuba and go off the beaten path, let me know. I can hook you up with my friends in both Holguin and Sangiago de Cuba to show you around those regions if you like.

Have you considered Patagonia cave diving? Make no mistake, it's more dangerous than climbing a mountain such as Kilimanjaro, but if you're looking for a thrill, very few things could beat that experience. You will need to get cracking on your licensing as soon as possible though.
The architecture, the influence of Chinese and Islamic culture compared to the Hindu temples. The botanical gardens, the way the city transforms at night, it's just a very diverse mix of cultures and religions that I don't think is replicated anywhere else in Asia.

I've never heard of Patagonia cave diving before! I just looked it up and yep, definitely a must do. What licensing do I need?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad