The Transformers thread (shows, comics, toys, all things TF)

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg

Transformers-Rise-Of-The-Beasts-Official-Stills-00026.jpg

Transformers-Rise-Of-The-Beasts-Official-Stills-00033.jpg

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Oh my god yes:

I lost it at "We have Optimus at home."

(though if I'm being honest, I like the concept of Rodimus' post-movie character arc quite a bit even if the show never made the most of it)

I'm still not sure what I think about this movie yet. Though I am annoyed at how widely distribution of ROTB toys has screwed up the main Legacy line's distribution in Canada.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

That is awesome. But perhaps less awesome than having food and a roof over my head.

EDIT: I like in the IGN posted explanation trailer that features some Robosen talking head explaining all the features it lists all the voice commands you can give, which includes "convert" to make it transform.

This is actually one of my favorite bits of Transformers brand trivia:

For dense and ridiculous reasons relating to IP law and trademarks, Transformers can only sparingly use "transform" as a verb in official capacities to describe the act of the characters/toys/whatever changing form. On things like instructions and toy packaging the word is pretty much never used as a verb, instead preferring to say that the toys "change" or "convert" from one form to the other. And in comics or shows the word may only be seen or heard from time to time in the capacity of the characters referring to changing shape. For instance in Transformers Prime Optimus only says "Transform and roll out!" a couple of times, usually opting to skip the transformation command and simply say "roll out!" while its sister shows came up with alternative "into action" catch phrases such as Robots in Disguise 2015 making a plot point out of Bumblebee trying to figure out his own spin on the phrase before settling on "rev up and roll out!". Apparently if they use the word too much or use it on toy packaging pretty much at all it will open the door to make the "Transformers" trademark less defensible and open to being poached or misused by other companies.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guardian17

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I liked the movie, but I hate what they did to Wheeljack, AGAIN! f***ing Christ. Just make a new character.
Movie was fine. I didn't like Optimus's personality in the movie. I do think they really need to do a reboot of the series. But, that would require not making one for a few years, which I don't get the sense they want to do.

Teased a GI Joe/Transformers cross over at the end. We know that if they do that, that it will be more about GI Joe characters than the Transformers. But, between the 2 properties, TF is the better money maker for movies, so you don't want to tick off the TF fans in favour of GI Joe, which isn't as popular these days. I don't recall seeing much or any GI Joe action figures in the stores these days.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg

MD-Bright-Passed-Away.jpg

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I feel for today's kids. My generation got The Transformers: The Movie. They get this.

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
I think the best we are ever going to get is the War for Cybertron trilogy, they nailed everything about that except for the cheap-replacement voice cast.

sdf

Jan 23, 2015
Rostov on Don
In the middle of 90s i've watched a cartoon called gobots, and thought that it is the transformers, I was thinking I see why this is so legendary but why the hell they call it gobots:laugh:

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
From the little bit of dialogue we got from the trailer, will say I’m disappointed. I get this is directed at kids but the dialogue seems a bit too in your face with the comedy bits.

Reactions: Osprey

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
We should do a crowd fund to get Cullen and Welker to fo overdubs.

I say this as someone who grew up on G1:

They need to move on. Cullen and Welker are iconic but Cullen is 82 and Welker is 78. Neither sounds like they did in their heyday and Cullen in particular has lost a lot of the range in his Optimus voice. They need to find a way to solidify some new blood in the roles so that they can have people take those character voices into the future and not simply sound like they're doing a bad Peter Cullen impression (like the guy that's been Optimus in non-Cullen roles over the last decade).

Garry Chalk was good as Optimus Primal and as Unicron Trilogy Optimus because he had the same sort of energy and spirit about him without just sounding like a carbon copy. That's what they need to shoot for.

But in spite of saying this, if they do another Beast Wars-related show/movie that features T-Rex Megatron and he's not voiced by David Kaye I will burn their studio to the ground.

All that said, on the topic of this movie: I hope that kids like it but I'm not sure it's for me. It has strong "generic kids CG movie #5,239" vibes going on with that same sort of off-the-wall silliness and quippy meme-factory stuff that you got out of Minions or the Super Mario Bros movie. Except both of those are light enough fare that they can work with that. Transformers isn't really in that same vein.

Reactions: Guardian17

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad