The Transformers thread (shows, comics, toys, all things TF)

Baby Punisher

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
I actually have the Headmasters comic that was published in Finland...
I never saw these 3 episodes before in the states. After the first run of the return of Optimus Prime, I never saw a new animated episode. The only thing I knew of the Headmasters were from the comics.

I enjoyed these 3 episodes. I do agree that the storyline was rushed. It was awesome seeing Optimus Prime in command again with Ultra Magnus, Gold Bug etc...

One thing that bothered me was the way Optimus Prime was animated. It was off a bit.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I never saw these 3 episodes before in the states. After the first run of the return of Optimus Prime, I never saw a new animated episode. The only thing I knew of the Headmasters were from the comics.

I enjoyed these 3 episodes. I do agree that the storyline was rushed. It was awesome seeing Optimus Prime in command again with Ultra Magnus, Gold Bug etc...

One thing that bothered me was the way Optimus Prime was animated. It was off a bit.

I wish the Fortress Maximus vs Scorpinok battle lasted a little longer.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
244745799_4492337607512487_3872297909704677622_n.jpg

Reactions: Supermassive

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Veteran G1 voice actor Stephen Keener has passed away.

The voice of Fortress Maximus, Scorponok, Hardhead, Hun-Grrr, Mindwipe and Scattershot.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Pluto TV is launching a new dedicated Transformers channel.

Welcome into the world of Transformers TV, a world where everything is…More Than Meets the Eye. A universe where shape-shifting, sentient robots in disguise hide in plain sight, and battle with the future of their world – and ours – at stake. Transformers TV will include series such as Transformers: Cyberverse, Transformers: Prime, Transformers: Robots in Disguise and many more all day, every day.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Just discovered that Karyuudo Fansubs, responsible for the excellent work subtitling both of the Japanese Beast Wars filler shows*, Transformers: Car Robots**, and Transformers Micron Legend (aka the original Japanese version of Transformers Armada)*** have recently completed a project in which they created visualizations and subtitles/translations for the entirety of the Transformers: Kiss Players subline from Japan.

If you didn't know, Kiss Players is basically the running joke/horror of Transformers fandom and a prime example of "what the hell is wrong with you, Japan?" as a story that is, no joke, about various Transformers being able to receive power-ups by being kissed by a number of allegedly teenaged but visually extremely young looking girls (including their take on G1 season 3 recurring character Marissa Faireborn who gets reimagined as all Americans do in manga/anime, as a flirty, aggressive, blonde-haired blue-eyed girl wearing some shameless clothing in the form of a shirt that slips half off one of her shoulders) while also having some disturbingly sexual/phallic imagery with Decepticons (including Megatron) who have creepy prehensile tongues that spurt out a thick, viscous, white-in-the-uncolored-manga-pages liquid.

Rumor has it that eventually the crawly bits were phased out and the story became a bit more tolerable if not any less silly.

So go ahead and open that forbidden door if you dare.

*In Japan they didn't want to dub just the 13 episode Beast Wars 2nd season, so to kill time until the 3rd season finished and they could fuse the two together into a single 26 episode run pseudo-sequel-series, Takara commissioned a pair of 30-something-episode anime shows to serve as filler. They take place waaaaaayyy in the future of the BW stories to the point that Optimus Primal is basically treated as a legendary hero like King Arthur. The two series are: Beast Wars II (the "II" is literally pronounced "second" and not "two") which is mostly kind of a crap show outside of 1 main Maximal (Scuba, who is basically "the super-competent one" on his team and turns into a giant squid) and 1 subset of Predacons who show up for a small handful of episodes (repurposes of the Seacons combiner team from g1 as a set of freelance space pirates called, fittingly, the Space Pirate Seacons. They're mostly a comedy relief squad, but still fun). And Beast Wars Neo, a direct sequel to II that follows up on its ending with a new crew that is far more interesting and tolerable and makes for a show that is overall quite enjoyable until it fumbles its ending badly. But it also gives us DNAVI, the Predacons' ship AI housed in a little dragonfly like robot body who is absolutely hilarious as she snarks and backtalks almost all the Predacons for being a bunch of idiots.

**Better known here as Transformers: Robots in Disguise from 2001. Aka the one that never ever gets brought up or distributed anymore because Hasbro basically didn't want anything to do with it at the beginning and only licensed it as a stall tactic until Armada was ready for air. It's also famous for being heavily edited to remove a lot of city destruction and explosions since it began airing in September of 2001 and, well, you know what happened around that time...

***If you've never watched Micron Legend you can at least use their release to enjoy a better version of Armada as they synced the english audio over the Japanese-release DVD video which uses a lot more finished and corrected animation that wasn't present in Armada's initial run.

If you want Kiss Players their blog post is here:

On their site you can also find links to the other series they've done. Each one offers the option of torrents with full downloads of the complete series' audio/video files and gobs of extras including a translation guide, companion art books and comics, and other stuff. They also have playlists of the series on Youtube, though the Kiss Players stuff is tagged 18+ because of its controversial nature and the Micron Legend release does not feature the Armada audio option in that instance.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
The very first draft of the classic “The Transformers: The Movie” was recently revealed at TFNation, presented by Jim Sorenson and Chris McFeely for all the attendants.

This was the first script written for the movie, outlined in late summer 1984 and finished by February 1985. A copy was for Flint Dille in 2020 and the information was used for the TFNation panel.

Fan6RAxX0AU_HgF

FaoLRhbWIAECzy-
FaoDfdjXgAIJXXE

Reactions: Brodeur

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
I don't know how I feel about this new movie.

Of all the Transformers media properties, Beast Wars (Beasties in Canada) has the most complicated, yet and coherent story line that was slaved to toy releases.

Being slaved to the release of new lines of toys, and using new CGI tech as a medium, the show should not have been as good as it would become. But through sheer will power and TLC, DiTillio, Forward, the rest of the production cast, and ALL of the VA's; they somehow managed to carve it into the annals of legendary cartoon properties.

I'm not sure this production is going to come even close to the caliber of Beast Wars. Nu-Transformers has been full of hit and misses. I think when it takes it self seriously (Bumblebee), and Bay is kept relatively clear of the production, entries into the franchise can be good. But yeah, Bay needs to be kept the f*** away from the franchise for good. Let him obtain rights, and run the financing end of things, but don't let him interfere in the story, writing, character development. AT ALL.

I do have some immediate reservations with what we know atm.

1) None of the original VA actors, except for Soblov, appear) to be returning. Chaulk and Corlett (Not sure about Newstone) are still working in the industry. Were they by chance contacted to reprise their respective roles? If any of the other characters are announced, will any of the original VA's being brought back? Some of them, like McNeil, are prolific VA's in the industry.

2) All of the lore in BW appears to have been forgotten about.

Reactions: Guardian17

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I don't know how I feel about this new movie.

Of all the Transformers media properties, Beast Wars (Beasties in Canada) has the most complicated, yet and coherent story line that was slaved to toy releases.

Being slaved to the release of new lines of toys, and using new CGI tech as a medium, the show should not have been as good as it would become. But through sheer will power and TLC, DiTillio, Forward, the rest of the production cast, and ALL of the VA's; they somehow managed to carve it into the annals of legendary cartoon properties.

I'm not sure this production is going to come even close to the caliber of Beast Wars. Nu-Transformers has been full of hit and misses. I think when it takes it self seriously (Bumblebee), and Bay is kept relatively clear of the production, entries into the franchise can be good. But yeah, Bay needs to be kept the f*** away from the franchise for good. Let him obtain rights, and run the financing end of things, but don't let him interfere in the story, writing, character development. AT ALL.

I do have some immediate reservations with what we know atm.

1) None of the original VA actors, except for Soblov, appear) to be returning. Chaulk and Corlett (Not sure about Newstone) are still working in the industry. Were they by chance contacted to reprise their respective roles? If any of the other characters are announced, will any of the original VA's being brought back? Some of them, like McNeil, are prolific VA's in the industry.

2) All of the lore in BW appears to have been forgotten about.

I said this in another thread I think on another, TF-specific forum:

If they do a sequel movie to this with BW Megatron and it's not David Kaye I will burn their studio to the ground. This is not negotiable.

Meanwhile, Hasbro's crowdfunding arm, Haslab, delivered their backed item from last year: Japanese G1 trilogy series Victory's Autobot commander, Star Saber and his glorified backpack, Victory Leo.

I might have some pictures in the next day or two. He's big and hefty and super intricate and a lot of fun.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad