Line Combos: The Top 9

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Bennett has looked a billion times better every single second out on the ice in comparison to Tangradi. Bennett at his lowest is twice the player Tangradi ever proved to be. Time will tell... but it will tell because of injuries and time missed that he could have been playing and getting even better. Not because he doesn't have the ability or drive.

Michael8771*

I think it's hilarious that there are people that don't want Bennett in the top 6 because he has to "earn it", but they'll gift Spaling and/or Downie a spot there.
I'd give BB a shot in the top six before either of those two that's for sure! That said, I'm not exactly confident he'll stay there, be it injury or inconsistent play. I really wish we had better options here.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
It depends on how you look at it. No, those two players didn't pan out, but at THIS juncture it's not a foregone conclusion that BB will either. Time will tell.

Except that Bennett has shown far more already than those 2 ever did. So yeah, it's an exaggeration.

Michael8771*

Except that Bennett has shown far more already than those 2 ever did. So yeah, it's an exaggeration.
Meh, BB hasn't done enough to do cartwheels over just yet. Alexander Daigle looked ok briefly himself, but he largely was considered a bust. I just think the BB supporters are presuming too much when the verdict is still very much up in the air. He could turn out to be a 20 goal 40 assist guy, I'm not dismissing that as a possibility. But by the same token he could be a bust or curtain jerker.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Meh, BB hasn't done enough to do cartwheels over just yet. Alexander Daigle looked ok briefly himself, but he largely was considered a bust. I just think the BB supporters are presuming too much when the verdict is still very much up in the air. He could turn out to be a 20 goal 40 assist guy, I'm not dismissing that as a possibility. But by the same token he could be a bust or curtain jerker.

You're talking to people who think Bennett at this moment is every amount of the player that Tyler Toffoli is. Just stop arguing, Bennett is Sid's future winger, brah. Our top six is legit and we are going to cake walk through our division.

Michael8771*

You're talking to people who think Bennett at this moment is every amount of the player that Tyler Toffoli is. Just stop arguing, Bennett is Sid's future winger, brah. Our top six is legit and we are going to cake walk through our division.
I'm not arguing necessarily, I'm just stating the facts. He's injury prone and he hasn't consistently performed at a high level. Until he does he's open to criticism. I'm not saying he can't be that top six guy, I'm just not sold on it as of yet. And I fail to see why others would be at this point.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

No one said we should be doing cartwheels. See this is what I'm talking about. You are exaggerating what I'm saying. All I said was he has done far more with his ice time in the NHL than Tangradi and Caputi. That's a fact.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Yup that's what we are all saying. See Michael. Exaggeration exhibit B.

Michael8771*

No one said we should be doing cartwheels. See this is what I'm talking about. You are exaggerating what I'm saying. All I said was he has done far more with his ice time in the NHL than Tangradi and Caputi. That's a fact.
And I'm saying he's injury prone and has had trouble playing with any high level of consistency. That also is a fact.

If you want to say he's better than Tangradi or Caputi fine. But that in and of itself doesn't mean he won't be a bust himself. And that's my point, we don't definitively know yet which way it will go. And if he does in fact turn out to be a bust the Tangradi or Caputi comparisons won't exactly be far fetched.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
And I'm saying he's injury prone and has had trouble playing with any high level of consistency. That also is a fact.

If you want to say he's better than Tangradi or Caputi fine. But that in and of itself doesn't mean he won't be a bust himself. And that's my point, we don't definitively know yet which way it will go. And if he does in fact turn out to be a bust the Tangradi or Caputi comparisons won't exactly be far fetched.

if he busts, its because of injury. Even with the inconsistency, his lows are still NHL caliber bottom 6.

Michael8771*

if he busts, its because of injury. Even with the inconsistency, his lows are still NHL caliber bottom 6.
So was Alexander Daigle, yet he was widely considered a bust. It all depends on the expectations. If he's perceived to be a top six guy and only amounts to a bottom rung role player, well........

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
So was Alexander Daigle., yet again he was widely considered a bust. It all depends on the expectations. If he's perceived to be a top six guy and only amounts to a bottom rung role player, well........

If Beau Bennett becomes a 3rd liner he is not a bust. It would be disappointing, but he wouldn't be a bust. Daigle was drafted first overall. Bennett was drafted 22nd. Its not the same situation.

Michael8771*

If Beau Bennett becomes a 3rd liner he is not a bust.
Again, it all depends on how you look at it. Viktor Kozlov, Brian Lawton, Daigle etc performed well below expectations. They were considered busts.

edit: HE's still a 1st rounder, if he ends up being a role player and turns out to be a lowly curtain jerker then yeah, he's a bust.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Again, it all depends on how you look at it. Viktor Kozlov, Brian Lawton, Daigle etc performed well below expectations. They were considered busts.

edit: HE's still a 1st rounder, if he ends up being a role player and turns out to be a lowly curtain jerker then yeah, he's a bust.

So every first rounder who isn't a top 6 player is a bust?

Michael8771*

So every first rounder who isn't a top 6 player is a bust?
Not every first rounder is skilled or even plays forward. There are a lot of first rounders projected to be role players. Bennett however isn't of that Ilk. Again, it depends on what the teams need is or who's available. But BB was clearly drafted to be a top six winger.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yup that's what we are all saying. See Michael. Exaggeration exhibit B.

Why is it wrong to question the fact that he might be a bust due to injuries or inconsistent play? We aren't sold on his ability to consistently play in our top six. There is a reason players like Marty Havlat, or even in our own case Kris Letang are undervalued and its because it helps to contribute consistently. You can be the best player every game, but when you get your wrist broken on routine plays in every league, it should be a legitimate question whether or not this will effect his development.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Only in pixies' world is getting your wrist sliced by a skate a routine play.

It should also be pointed out that Bennett never broke his wrist.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Why is it wrong to question the fact that he might be a bust due to injuries or inconsistent play? We aren't sold on his ability to consistently play in our top six. There is a reason players like Marty Havlat, or even in our own case Kris Letang are undervalued and its because it helps to contribute consistently. You can be the best player every game, but when you get your wrist broken on routine plays in every league, it should be a legitimate question whether or not this will effect his development.

It's not wrong. No one ever said it was wrong. I take objection to you and others misrepresenting the "pro Bennett" side with things like this:

"Bennett is Sid's future winger, brah. Our top six is legit and we are going to cake walk through our division."

Literally no one is saying that. Hence my comment that you are exaggerating.

Also, Bennett never broke his wrist and his first surgery was due to a sliced tendon from a skate. So that's one lie and another exaggeration.

I don't understand the Havlat and Letang points. Undervalued means that their value is actually higher than what people perceive. I thought you were trying to say that we are overvaluing Bennett. So which is it?

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
If Beau Bennett becomes a 3rd liner he is not a bust. It would be disappointing, but he wouldn't be a bust. Daigle was drafted first overall. Bennett was drafted 22nd. Its not the same situation.

Pretty much this.

There is a gigantic gulf in being drafted 22nd overall versus being drafted FO. Expectations should be adjusted accordingly.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Considering Bylsma was the type that gave talented rookies punishment for doing well and prospects with a lower ceiling and older, a better shot...I think Beau will have a huge year this year and make a very good case to be in the top 6 for most of the season. The talent is there, his health needs to hold up and he should be fine.

I always saw him as an Amonte type. Time to see what he can do when healthy and with a coach that rewards good play, rather than punish players for it.

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
I just hope Downie is the guy we were all waiting for. If he is, Crosby-Downie is going to be fun to watch during the playoffs, Crosby was always getting abused during the playoffs and didn't have room to play , it was a shame that no one was able to defend him or at least give a **** about what was happening. I remember that Don cherry Coaches Corner ... Poor Crosby.

2013 Playoffs
Starting at 2:00

2014 Playoffs

Last edited:

DragRiver2

Pens fan, hockey fan
Sep 9, 2013
I just hope Downie is the guy we were all waiting for. If he is, Crosby-Downie is going to be fun to watch during the playoffs, Crosby was always getting abused during the playoffs and didn't have room to play

I think this is a huge factor that is overlooked about his lack of playoff goal-scoring.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

Nah. Downie has the best season of these three players by an enormous margin. The best 3 seasons, probably.

I don't know if I gift him a spot in the top 6 because of how he played a few years ago, but, insofar as what player X has shown to date vs player Y, Bennett would be far behind Downie.

Edit: disregard

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad