Line Combos: The Top 9

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I don't think you can say that Megna is already better offensively than Dupuis or already a better player, but Megna was definitely faster than him last year.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I still wonder if they'll try PH with Sid and see if that works well. Then if Bennett stays healthy and has locked down a spot with Geno, look for a winger for them via trade. Downie and Spaling can be decent stopgaps.

Quatro Quatro

May 29, 2014
I feel like people would really like Dupuis if Bylsma didn't cement him next to Crosby the past few years. I really hope he comes back strong from this injury and is put on the third line where he belongs.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
like most I agree that Dupuis should be a 3rd liner.
But let's give credit where credit is due. A good bit of the disaster that is the playoffs in recent years can be laid at Dan Blysma's feet.

Dupuis might be ok with Sid in the playoffs if he's not told to skate down the opposite wall 10000000000000 feet from Crosby. If they are all close enough to each other to give some puck support he might actually be a bit more effective.

I mean really, none of us are saying that Crosby doesn't belong in the top 6 ;) and his playoffs aren't exactly sparkling under Disco Dan the last few times.

Who knows maybe Kapenen has a Maata like season and we end up with Horn-Sid-Kap, Kunitiz-Malkin-Bennett.

Just saying we all need to realize that Blysma set up the entire team to fail with his lack of adjustments and idiotic philosophies. Regular season chemistry does count for something when you have a coach that can adjust to use that in the playoffs.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
I think you folks who are expecting big strides from Beau Bennett are in for a major disappointment. Perhaps even Eric Tangradi or Luca Caputi level disappointment.

The dude hasn't even established an identity yet at the NHL level and is constantly hobbled by injuries, despite being 22 years old.

Not to mention he's coming off his third serious wrist surgery in less than 3 years.. thats not good. Wrist strength is critical in hockey and you gotta think that all those wrist surgeries could seriously impede his ability to shoot the puck.

“From November through the beginning of July, I didn't do any upper-body (workouts) other than my right arm because I was so hindered,” Bennett said. “It takes awhile to build it up. Gearing toward the season, Oct. 9, you have two months left, I think I'm in a good spot to add some strength.”

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/6604073-74/bennett-season-penguins#ixzz3AK12pwvR
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook
yikes.

Last edited:

Fordy

May 28, 2008
I think you folks who are expecting big strides from Beau Bennett are in for a major disappointment. Perhaps even Eric Tangradi or Luca Caputi level disappointment.

The dude hasn't even established an identity yet at the NHL and is constantly hobbled by injuries, despite being 22 years old.

Not to mention he's coming off his third serious wrist surgery in less than 3 years.. thats not good. Wrist strength is critical in hockey and you gotta think that all those wrist surgeries could seriously impede his ability to shoot the puck.

lol sure

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Health is the only thing that would keep Bennett out of the NHL. He is already a good NHL player, at least capable of being a solid 3rd liner.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
thanks for adding value to this discussion

And your post full of hyperbolic negativity added value in what way?

Anyways.. from that article:

Beau Bennett went home to California this offseason, expecting to get away from the Penguins.

Things didn't quite work out that way, as one of Bennett's neighbors — Mike Johnston — became his hockey coach.

“I was really good friends with his son (Adam) growing up,” Bennett said Wednesday after volunteering for a youth camp at Robert Morris Island Sports Center. “He lived right down the street from me when he was (an associate coach for the Los Angeles Kings). I've known him for five or six years.

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/6604073-74/bennett-season-penguins#ixzz3AK12pwvR

How has that gone unreported for so long? :laugh:

Fordy

May 28, 2008
thanks for adding value to this discussion

same to you

oh no his poor wrist. the sky is falling, the sky is falling. you took a quote about how he's finally getting to work out and strengthen his wrist and turn it into a negative. we just saw him playing at his worst, and he would earn a spot on malkin's line off that performance. it's tragic, his career is already over.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
And your post full of hyperbolic negativity added value in what way?

Anyways.. from that article:

Beau Bennett went home to California this offseason, expecting to get away from the Penguins.

Things didn't quite work out that way, as one of Bennett's neighbors — Mike Johnston — became his hockey coach.

“I was really good friends with his son (Adam) growing up,†Bennett said Wednesday after volunteering for a youth camp at Robert Morris Island Sports Center. “He lived right down the street from me when he was (an associate coach for the Los Angeles Kings). I've known him for five or six years.

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/6604073-74/bennett-season-penguins#ixzz3AK12pwvR

How has that gone unreported for so long? :laugh:

Apparently the Trib version excised part of the Bennett interview that's probably most important to Pens fans:

“It’s a lot different than the years past. Everything was set in stone and you were playing with certain guys no matter what,†he said. “This will be more four centers and then see whatever happens on the wings, other than I think (Sidney Crosby) will be with his normal linemates once (Pascal Dupuis) is all ready to go. It’s fun to think about, that you could play with different centers on any given night.â€

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=728397&navid=DL|PIT|home

giphy.gif

Probably just not wanting to step on any toes, but I hate seeing that in print from a player.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Apparently the Trib version excised part of the Bennett interview that's probably most important to Pens fans:

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=728397&navid=DL|PIT|home

Probably just not wanting to step on any toes, but I hate seeing that in print from a player.

Yeah, it's not great hearing that, but I will cling on to the words "I think" and "ready to go" and hope that he's either wrong or whoever is with Sid before Dupuis is 'ready to go' looks really good there. Or that he's just basing that on things he's heard in the media recently. I won't accept it until I see Johnston ice that line in a game. :laugh:

I hadn't seen the article on the Pens site, but to me the most important part of the quote you posted isn't his speculation, but the message. Lines are no longer set in stone and will be fluid, and that different wings will get a chance with each center to see where they fit best.

Michael8771*

The Bennett apologists in full force even in the off season.

In any case he has a lot to prove. Of course that's been said for quite some time now. I'm not overly optimistic on this front. The guy can't stay healthy.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

In any case he has a lot to prove. Of course that's been said for quite some time now. I'm not overly optimistic on this front. The guy can't stay healthy.

Apologists? Yes, health has been an issue. There's nothing else to apologize for. He's been a good player when healthy. Health is the only thing that can keep him from being at least a 3rd liner at this point.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

So should the "apologists" live in a cave and not respond while others exaggerate the criticism?

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
"It’s a lot different than the years past. Everything was set in stone and you were playing with certain guys no matter what,” he said. “This will be more four centers and then see whatever happens on the wings, other than I think (Sidney Crosby) will be with his normal linemates once (Pascal Dupuis) is all ready to go. It’s fun to think about, that you could play with different centers on any given night.”
you really have to ask yourself what's better for the penguins: dupuis coming back and being attached to sid's wing, or dupuis having major setback with his knee and being forced to retire and giving the pens that extra 3.75 in cap space for the next few years.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Yeah, it's not great hearing that, but I will cling on to the words "I think" and "ready to go" and hope that he's either wrong or whoever is with Sid before Dupuis is 'ready to go' looks really good there. Or that he's just basing that on things he's heard in the media recently. I won't accept it until I see Johnston ice that line in a game. :laugh:

That's what keeps us going. ;)

I hadn't seen the article on the Pens site, but to me the most important part of the quote you posted isn't his speculation, but the message. Lines are no longer set in stone and will be fluid, and that different wings will get a chance with each center to see where they fit best.

Meh, I think that just follows naturally after the changes made in the off-season, with 2 of our 4 established scoring wingers gone.

Michael8771*

Apologists? Yes, health has been an issue. There's nothing else to apologize for. He's been a good player when healthy. Health is the only thing that can keep him from being at least a 3rd liner at this point.
That in and of itself isn't saying much. As far as being a ''good'' player when healthy, well, that's debatable. Being skilled is nice, but statistically speaking he didn't exactly set the world on fire. As I said he's got a lot to prove.

So should the "apologists" live in a cave and not respond while others exaggerate the criticism?
What's been exaggerated? That he's injury prone? That maybe he's not as good as some here allege? Let him prove it by his play in more than just a handful of games in a row. Sure he looks good for three or four games, but then his play slips. Until he stays healthy AND unless he consistently contributes on the score sheet, the naysayers have a legitimate argument here.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Comparing Bennett to Tangradi and Caputi is certainly an exaggeration.

I never compared the players, just the hype around the players and the subsequent letdown. Tangradi was trumpeted around here as a legit top-6 solution along with Caputi..and now they're in the where are they now file.

With Bennett's continued injury issues, there is a high likelihood that he could very well end up in that same "where are they now" category sooner than later. If you aren't concerned about him considering this is his 3rd major wrist surgery, then I don't know what to tell you.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I never compared the players, just the hype around the players and the subsequent letdown. Tangradi was trumpeted around here as a legit top-6 solution along with Caputi..and now they're in the where are they now file.

With Bennett's continued injury issues, there is a high likelihood that he could very well end up in that same "where are they now" category sooner than later. If you aren't concerned about him considering this is his 3rd major wrist surgery, then I don't know what to tell you.

Fair enough. I am concerned about his injuries but even injured he was a solid top 9 option when he played last year. He chose to play through the injury, knowing he needed further surgery in the off season.

I just don't see the need or relevance for the comparison. We were excited for just about anything with Caputi and Tangradi was always a project type of player. Bennett was a 1st round pick with more pedigree and upside than both Tangradi and Caputi. He has already shown more in his NHL career than either. If his career doesn't work out, it will be due to injuries not performance. So other than being disappointed, how are any of the situations related?

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I think it's hilarious that there are people that don't want Bennett in the top 6 because he has to "earn it", but they'll gift Spaling and/or Downie a spot there.

Michael8771*

Comparing Bennett to Tangradi and Caputi is certainly an exaggeration.
It depends on how you look at it. No, those two players didn't pan out, but at THIS juncture it's not a foregone conclusion that BB will either. Time will tell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad