Line Combos: The Top 9

Giant Yankee Pens

May 17, 2010
There is a lot of talk in the free agency thread about the lack of top six options we have, who will be used there, and who we want to be used there... I put in this poll three options. Vote which top 9 you'd prefer and why you want it, or suggest your own.

Option #1:

Dupuis Crosby Hornqvist
Kunitz Malkin Bennett
Spaling Sutter Downie

Option #2:

Kunitz Crosby Downie
Hornqvist Malkin Bennett
Spaling Sutter Dupuis

Option #3:

Kunitz Crosby Bennett
Spaling Malkin Hornqvist
Dupuis Sutter Downie

Vote!

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I would like all three to be given a shot during the reg. season. Just getting ready for the playoffs you know. :")

penguins2946*

It's between 1 and 2 for me. There are pros and cons of each. I don't like Dupuis on the 1st line in option 1, but the 3rd line has no playmaking ability in option 2. However, with option 2, that 3rd line would be extremely good defensively. I also like Kunitz-Malkin-Bennett, and I don't want Hornqvist on his offwing. I think I'll go with 1, but it's really close.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Per DK today, indications are KCD again. Not sure exactly where that came from.
'Scuse me, need a barf bag....

penguins2946*

Kovacevic said that from what he has gathered, the top-6 will be:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Hornqvist-Malkin-Bennett

He also said Kapanen will be given a fair shot next month at making the team.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
2 35 yr olds with 3 knees between them, and a potato chip, are not a confidence building top-6. Especially with the recent playoff history of KCD....

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Per DK today, indications are KCD again. Not sure exactly where that came from.
'Scuse me, need a barf bag....

It's August 5th. Unless those words came from JR or MJ, DK is full of ****.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
It's August 5th. Unless those words came from JR or MJ, DK is full of ****.

I went searching for where they saw that, and DK said something in a Q&A. He said "from what I gathered this past week." Not sure what he could have gathered in the past week considering it's the first week of August and no one is really around. I doubt that a brand new coach who has never been around a team set his line combinations in stone over a month before training camp, let alone shared that with DK. Who knows, maybe he did. Just seems a little odd.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Yeah thought so too. Bottom line, there's not a lot in the cupboard top 6 wise.....maybe Hornqvist will be great and Bennett won't break his other wrist clipping his toenails or something. But Duper on 1st line again? Oy.
Maybe Downie will surprise us.
I can dream can't I?

Giant Yankee Pens

May 17, 2010
Kovacevic said that from what he has gathered, the top-6 will be:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Hornqvist-Malkin-Bennett

He also said Kapanen will be given a fair shot next month at making the team.

I didn't put that for fear of it coming true. Not that it wouldn't work in the regular season, I'm sure it would, maybe the new system even makes it ok in the playoffs, but it'd be nice to see a change. I took option 1 too cause I like that second line and having Dupuis almost acting like Crosby's Kulemin (you know, close friend with good chemistry and hard work ethic). Tho I admit Kulemin is more naturally talented than Dupuis, but dupper has actually produced more.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I went searching for where they saw that, and DK said something in a Q&A. He said "from what I gathered this past week." Not sure what he could have gathered in the past week considering it's the first week of August and no one is really around. I doubt that a brand new coach who has never been around a team set his line combinations in stone over a month before training camp, let alone shared that with DK. Who knows, maybe he did. Just seems a little odd.

He interviewed Phil Bourque on Madden's show. Bourque said he'd go back to KCD. I highly doubt anyone in charge of the lines come October is telling DK what they're going to do.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Everyone but Dupuis deserves a shot. Considering how bad he was last season, we'll be lucky if he can play the third line following such a severe injury.

DK is making **** up. We don't even know if Dupuis will be ready for the start of the season. The last word was that he was behind schedule.

penguins2946*

Everyone but Dupuis deserves a shot. Considering how bad he was last season, we'll be lucky if he can play the third line following such a severe injury.

DK is making **** up. We don't even know if Dupuis will be ready for the start of the season. The last word was that he was behind schedule.

Why doesn't Dupuis deserve a shot? I'm not saying he should have the spot, but to say he shouldn't even have a chance because of how DB used KCD is stupid. He should have no less of a shot for that spot than Bennett or Downie. The best player should get it. If it's Dupuis, fine.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

It's how I feel tbh. That ****ing knee could be devastating and I doubt it ends well. He has to prove he can be a remotely effective 3rd liner now, let alone in the top 6. He was bad and then his knee got destroyed, and he's 35. In no way am I not pessimistic about him.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Why doesn't Dupuis deserve a shot? I'm not saying he should have the spot, but to say he shouldn't even have a chance because of how DB used KCD is stupid. He should have no less of a shot for that spot than Bennett or Downie. The best player should get it. If it's Dupuis, fine.

because he can't do it. i would rather let megna take the spot because he's not 35 and actually has something to gain from playing in such a role. put spaling there, he's on the upswing of his career. putting dupuis in the top six is a waste. we've seen for four years that it doesn't work in the playoffs. what's the word from johnston? from day 1 we're preparing for the playoffs. putting dupuis in the top six even as a stop-gap is not preparing for the playoffs. it's not managing the roster well even without a fourth true top six player. it's not helping crosby form better chemistry with actual good players. i blame half of him and beau not mixing on dupuis, because he treated an actual skilled player like they were dupuis. he held on to the puck too long and avoided passing to him at all costs. like he did with dupuis when he spent two months failing to even properly receive a pass. continuing to play dupuis in the top six is permanently handicapping this team.

Last edited:

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
lets be honest for a second here-- the best chance of KCD not being a line to start the season is dupuis suffering a setback with his knee rehab.

modern medicine is pretty amazing, but sometimes bad things happen. it would be awful, no doubt, but it could happen.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
lets be honest for a second here-- the best chance of KCD not being a line to start the season is dupuis suffering a setback with his knee rehab.

modern medicine is pretty amazing, but sometimes bad things happen. it would be awful, no doubt, but it could happen.

it seems like he already did

Rufus

Letangarang
May 27, 2014

I agree with this wholeheartedly. Give him a shot because he has produced well besides Crosby. If he fails, take him off and try someone else

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
I just hope the coach will use the early part of the season to experiment with combinations. There would be a lot less hand-wringing around here if we knew that nothing's locked in. At least, that's where my faith is. Of course, a trade wouldn't hurt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad