THE TOP 10 BLACK NHL PLAYERS OF ALL-TIME

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
As he's included in every other list of "Black Hockey Players" that Ive ever come across on the net, that its mentioned in bio's etc then yes, he should be & will be included here on our list at hf HOH... precedent has been set, its a fact that genetically he is partially of black heritage, ancestry, a generation removed I believe but none the less its there so.... he's in..... And a great player he was. Solid, dependable, Captain in Chicago....

That's all well & good, but his inclusion feels shoehorned in as some type of feel-good-story where those within the hockey community are so desperate for diversity, a little dab'll do ya

I say that as someone who looks and identifies as white despite having a black father

Bustedprospect

Mar 10, 2006
Subban does have a lot of miles to cover first, but there is at least potential.

If he can stay healthy i think Subban can be seen as a lock for both #1 black-player and the Hall.

Its possible that he wins the Norris after this season and that will put him in elite company. Even if he doesn't he will probably add more nominations and post season all-star selections. Fairly good odds to win the cup in Nashville as well.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
That's all well & good, but his inclusion feels shoehorned in as some type of feel-good-story where those within the hockey community are so desperate for diversity, a little dab'll do ya

I say that as someone who looks and identifies as white despite having a black father

I hear what your sayin, ya.... there is that aspect to it.... in some cases just one side of the family, one or two or even three generations removed. In every case pretty much born here, Afro-American/Canadian, multi-generational, or if from elsewhere completely naturalized, grew up in North America... a lot of bi-racial mixes & so on. Dunno if posted but wiki has a page of Black NHL Players.... some interesting backgrounds, places of birth & parentage.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I hear what your sayin, ya.... there is that aspect to it.... in some cases just one side of the family, one or two or even three generations removed. In every case pretty much born here, Afro-American/Canadian, multi-generational, or if from elsewhere completely naturalized, grew up in North America... a lot of bi-racial mixes & so on. Dunno if posted but wiki has a page of Black NHL Players.... some interesting backgrounds, places of birth & parentage.

Let me put it this way: Jarome Iginla's mother is white, should he be included on a list of "Top White Players"?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Let me put it this way: Jarome Iginla's mother is white, should he be included on a list of "Top White Players"?

I understand your point, but I wouldn't object to Iginla on such a list. For the purposes of this thread it is probably easiest for the OP to explain what he means by "black". I suspect that most people take that to mean that the person has (relatively recent) Sub-Saharan African ancestry but if Graham doesn't qualify then it seems like it becomes a question of "how much" Sub-Saharan African ancestry is required.

Reactions: DaveG and Killion

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
.... it seems like it becomes a question of "how much" Sub-Saharan African ancestry is required.

I suggest we use the wiki list.... Call me lazy, call me cautious, call me a cab.... because thats one debate were not havin here on HOH. Goin with "precedent", that which has been determined by others whereby if someone is either fully African Canadian or American, multi or bi-racial, if they have Black ancestry of any kind on either side of their family be it a generation, two generations or three back, then fine. They can be included in this thread.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003

I am guessing Iggy thinks of himself as being black more so. No question he is visually black. Graham you can't see it and this is why I never knew. Does anyone know what his history is? It sounds like he has two white parents and maybe a mixed race grandparent? Anyone confirm.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I can see PK Subban reaching #1.

Still wish NHL would market him more. You want to make the sport popular, that's your poster boy.

I think they do pretty good don't they? Not bad considering he isn't the best defender in the NHL. Karlsson, Doughty, Hedman at the very least are ahead of him. Pietrangelo likely too. Guys like Letang are pretty similar to him as well. I think he's pretty well known though. Very colourful, can rub the opposition the wrong way so he is very (un)popular with the opposing fans. With all due respect to Weber, who has had a better career so far, I think the Preds definitely won that trade if that even needs to be mentioned.

But that ceiling of Fuhr and Iginla is pretty darn good. #1 might be a stretch. Fuhr was the best goalie in the NHL for part of a decade and Iginly has some serious hardware as well.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I think they do pretty good don't they? Not bad considering he isn't the best defender in the NHL. Karlsson, Doughty, Hedman at the very least are ahead of him. Pietrangelo likely too. Guys like Letang are pretty similar to him as well. I think he's pretty well known though. Very colourful, can rub the opposition the wrong way so he is very (un)popular with the opposing fans. With all due respect to Weber, who has had a better career so far, I think the Preds definitely won that trade if that even needs to be mentioned.

But that ceiling of Fuhr and Iginla is pretty darn good. #1 might be a stretch. Fuhr was the best goalie in the NHL for part of a decade and Iginly has some serious hardware as well.

I could take this topic waaaay off topic and speak about how I disagree about paragraph 1 regarding the marketing of PK or discussing the trade itself. But I'll restrain myself :sarcasm:

PK has been a top 5 defensemen in the league for many years now. 1 Norris. Might get another this year

I don't necessarily think he's going to blow way past Fuhr and Iginla but I definitely think he can surpass them with enough longevity and playoff success.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I am guessing Iggy thinks of himself as being black more so. No question he is visually black. Graham you can't see it and this is why I never knew. Does anyone know what his history is? It sounds like he has two white parents and maybe a mixed race grandparent? Anyone confirm.

We were discussing this just recently & I did some digging, and as I recall he has Black ancestry on his maternal side of the family going back to his Grandparents... So he's like what, 1/4 Black? I understand for some thats just too tenuous, doesnt make the cut but it is what it is.... lets not be getting all balled up over this issue. If you wanna go with 100% Black African-Canadian or American, European or whatever, both parents black, list is going to be short... end thread.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
usa-sharks-picture-77-e1407570451617.jpg

latest

No Dale Craigwell or Reggie Savage. What a bunk list

Reactions: Killion

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Out of curiosity what happened to Claude Vilgrain? I remember him only from the national team.

91-92 seemed like a good season for him. He had played only handful of games in NHL prior that. But in that season he put up 19+27 in 71 games. I mean not great but in that years Devils decent numbers. And on top of that he got some Selke votes . 9 (0-2-3) . Next season he didn´t fit to the team and played total of 6 games in NHL after that.

Flamer12

Feb 11, 2013
Canada
THE TOP 10 BLACK NHL PLAYERS OF ALL-TIME

01. Grant Fuhr
02. Jarome Iginla
03. P.K. Subban
04. Dustin Byfuglien
05. Dirk Graham
06. Tony McKegney
07. Ray Neufeld
08. Anson Carter
09. Mike Grier
10. Johnny Oduya
11. Georges Laraque
12. Eldon "Pokey" Reddick
13. Ray Emery
14. Fred Brathwaite
15. Kevin Weekes

Good players but Wayne Simmonds is better than half your list. I assume you just forgot him or do you disagree with me?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Good players but Wayne Simmonds is better than half your list. I assume you just forgot him or do you disagree with me?

Interesting player.... his families actually from Nova Scotia, moved to Scarborough Ontario, suburb of Toronto. Wayne "The Train" as he's been nicknamed had a rather circuitous route to the NHL, playing mostly single A & AA in the GTHL before finally getting a chance in the AAA ranks in Midget... then played Provincial Jr.A before finally getting the opportunity at the Major Jr level.... So.... where would you rank him if he's "better than half the players on your list" as per the Members rankings? No question he's an excellent player... but is he better than one of the Top 5?. 10?...

Flamer12

Feb 11, 2013
Canada
Interesting player.... his families actually from Nova Scotia, moved to Scarborough Ontario, suburb of Toronto. Wayne "The Train" as he's been nicknamed had a rather circuitous route to the NHL, playing mostly single A & AA in the GTHL before finally getting a chance in the AAA ranks in Midget... then played Provincial Jr.A before finally getting the opportunity at the Major Jr level.... So.... where would you rank him if he's "better than half the players on your list" as per the Members rankings? No question he's an excellent player... but is he better than one of the Top 5?. 10?...
Better than half is really not true I suppose. I would rank him 10th on that list

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Better than half is really not true I suppose. I would rank him 10th on that list

Ya, all 15 on that list are excellent players so who do you cut? ..... Cant have your cake & eat it too.... He's still playing, could make a lot more noise before he retires so we'll see.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Fuhr was definitely on that level in the mid-late 80s. The guy had to be lights out to keep the opposition at bay, because he had no defence to help him.

I think if you're going to make that statement, you need to back it up with something other than "he had no defense to help"

In '88, Fuhr was a 1st Team All-Star, won the Vezina, and finished 2nd in Hart voting. That's amazing, right?

Except he wasn't even in the top 10 in the league in SV%.

Roy lead the league with a .900 SV%, Fuhr's SV% was .881

So you'll have to provide some examples where Fuhr was in the running for the game's best player, because quite frankly, I'm not seeing it

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
I think if you're going to make that statement, you need to back it up with something other than "he had no defense to help"

In '88, Fuhr was a 1st Team All-Star, won the Vezina, and finished 2nd in Hart voting. That's amazing, right?

Except he wasn't even in the top 10 in the league in SV%.

Roy lead the league with a .900 SV%, Fuhr's SV% was .881

So you'll have to provide some examples where Fuhr was in the running for the game's best player, because quite frankly, I'm not seeing it

First off, most people are aware of the way the team was playing and was constructed. All the fire power in the world, with little detail to defence. The games he played in were filled with odd man rushes and breakaways going Fuhr's way.

Instead of just stat quoting, look at what people were saying about him at the time, found by a simple google search:

Praise for Grant Fuhr:
"Bar none, Grant Fuhr is the best goalie in the league. He has the fastest reflexes.... In the big money games, Fuhr is the best. He's the Cup goalie. It's sure not by luck." --Sports Illustrated Magazine

"The best goalie in the world in the second half of the 1980s.... The results of the 1987 Canada Cup could very easily have been reversed had it not been for Grant Fuhr.... It is highly unlikely the Oilers would have been as successful as they were without the caliber of play that Grant Fuhr supplied them." --Greatest Hockey Legends

"The classic stand-up goalie. Plays his angles well, challenges and has that unbelievable athleticism. Just look at his record. He's made more big saves than any goalie over the last fifteen years. He really has no weakness." --ESPN Sportszone

The Roy Of Ottawa

HOCKEY HALL OF FAME
Oct 4, 2017
THE TOP 12 BLACK NHL PLAYERS OF ALL-TIME

01. Grant Fuhr
02. Jarome Iginla
03. P.K. Subban
04. Dustin Byfuglien
05. Dirk Graham
06. Tony McKegney
07. Anson Carter
08. Mike Grier