09. Wayne Simmonds
10. Evander Kane
11. Joel Ward
12. Johnny Oduya

Last edited:

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Iginla is highly underrated imo. He put up elite numbers in a low scoring era. I think it's him at #1, no disrespect to Fuhr.

I know Evander Kane isn't the most popular player around these parts because he is an underachiever, still he is pretty good.

Seth Jones is on pace to be challenging for a high spot on this list.

The Roy Of Ottawa

HOCKEY HALL OF FAME
Oct 4, 2017
Iginla is highly underrated imo. He put up elite numbers in a low scoring era. I think it's him at #1, no disrespect to Fuhr.

I know Evander Kane isn't the most popular player around these parts because he is an underachiever, still he is pretty good.

Seth Jones is on pace to be challenging for a high spot on this list.

Iginla never won the Stanley Cup, Fuhr won 5. Maybe Iginla should be number 1 because he played in an era when hockey was more popular on TV in the U.S., even though Iginla's best years were with a Canadian team.

Greater impact on the game, Fuhr or Iginla?

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i think i've heard anson carter and kevin weekes say that they prefer to be called caribbean-canadian. that term would apply to quite a few of the other guys in this thread: subban, brathwaite, laracque, and others not mentioned like claude vilgrain, anthony duclair, joel ward (who probably belongs on a top 15 list), the stewarts.

Some classic Oilers on that list in Laraque, Grier, and carter.

goalies grant fuhr, pokey reddick, fred brathwaite, and joaqin gage (not mentioned here).

ATL+thrashers_evander+kane.jpg

i think the cake still goes to the atlanta thrashers, who at one time had byfuglien, kane, oduya, anthony stewart, and nigel dawes all at the same time, with akim aliu on the farm.

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
1: Iginla
2: Fuhr
3: Subban
4: Lilja
5: Byfuglien
6: Simmonds
7: Grier
8: Carter
9: Jones
10: E.Kane

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I think I'd have Iginla at #1 also. And Subban is movin' up fast....

Okay, in all seriousness I might have Iggy at #1 too. Part of me can't see him unseating Fuhr but it at least is a good argument.

So with Fuhr in the HHOF and Iggy slated to go in by 2020 (?) the next black player I see going in over the next 20-25 years is Subban. That's about it unless Seth Jones has an elite career. Also, Subban does have a lot of miles to cover first, but there is at least potential.

Last edited by a moderator:

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
1) Grant Fuhr
2) Jarome Iginla
3) P.K. Subban
4) Tony McKegney
5) Dustin Byfuglien
6) Evander Kane
7) Dirk Graham
8) Wayne Simmonds
9) Anson Carter
10) Seth Jones

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
One of these things is not like the other

I posted this once before, but maybe someone can back me up with this. I saw Graham's career and we all knew him as predominantly a Blackhawk right? He was a guy you liked on your team, good defensively, decent offensively, played in the Canada Cup in 1991. Won a Selke.

However, am I the only one who heard for the first time after his career was over - long over - that he was a mixed race? I honestly cannot ever remember in his entire career when someone referred to him as "black". I remember Sandy McCarthy having that said about him, but never Graham.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Being of "African descent" doesn't make someone black

Dirk Graham is a white guy who happens to have a black parent or grandparent or whatever the case may be

Last edited:

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Being of "African descent" doesn't make someone black

Dirk Graham is a white guy who happens to have a black parent or grandparent or whatever the case may be

All of these guys are mixed. Generally someone who has African-American (or -Canadian) parent is considered to be of that race.

Reactions: DaveG

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I can see PK Subban reaching #1.

Still wish NHL would market him more. You want to make the sport popular, that's your poster boy.

sharkhawk

Jun 1, 2013
Aurora, IL
I posted this once before, but maybe someone can back me up with this. I saw Graham's career and we all knew him as predominantly a Blackhawk right? He was a guy you liked on your team, good defensively, decent offensively, played in the Canada Cup in 1991. Won a Selke.

However, am I the only one who heard for the first time after his career was over - long over - that he was a mixed race? I honestly cannot ever remember in his entire career when someone referred to him as "black". I remember Sandy McCarthy having that said about him, but never Graham.
I actually went out drinking with Dirk a few times when he was with the hawks and never knew that until I read it on here. Definitely belongs in the list though

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I doubt very much that Dirk Graham identifies as black

His Wikipedia page says he's of "African descent". That could mean his great, great, great grandfather was black. Should that really qualify Dirk for inclusion in this thread?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I doubt very much that Dirk Graham identifies as black

His Wikipedia page says he's of "African descent". That could mean his great, great, great grandfather was black. Should that really qualify Dirk for inclusion in this thread?

As he's included in every other list of "Black Hockey Players" that Ive ever come across on the net, that its mentioned in bio's etc then yes, he should be & will be included here on our list at hf HOH... precedent has been set, its a fact that genetically he is partially of black heritage, ancestry, a generation removed I believe but none the less its there so.... he's in..... And a great player he was. Solid, dependable, Captain in Chicago....

Reactions: DaveG and GB
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->