OT: The thread formerly known as Mousecop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burgmania

Buffalo's Hockey Soundtrack
Apr 16, 2007
Buffalo, NY
I got a three-piece luggage set, which is good...because for the first time in over five years, I'm going home.

We're going to Texas for a week in May! I'm looking forward to seeing my family and showing my wife how we do things in the Lone Star State.

I'm also starting to get a little bit anxious / nervous about tomorrow's Beauts game. It's the biggest chance I've had yet to put my best foot forward, and I'm feeling the pressure a tad.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Bed done, turned out way better then I could have imagined. So sturdy and well built, cost my time and $75 bucks for materials. Can really save slot of money doing it yourself, I probably saved close to $500 here.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Bed done, turned out way better then I could have imagined. So sturdy and well built, cost my time and $75 bucks for materials. Can really save slot of money doing it yourself, I probably saved close to $500 here.
Mattress platform only, or did you do rails for a box spring too?

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The Get Up Kids are the greatest band ever!!!!
20181230_222757_Burst01.jpg

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Mattress platform only, or did you do rails for a box spring too?

Rails and headboard too, it turned out really well. The only thing I have left is to stain the headboard. The entire thing cost about $115 Canadian, so I saved hundreds of dollars and I enjoy doing it anyways.

I have the itch now, I think I’m going to do a coffee table next. It’s amazing how much money you can save buy going out a doing a lot of that stuff yourself, and most of the time it’s going to be better quality. Pinterest has thousands of DIY projects with step by step instruction, and the only tools you really need is a drill, and Mitre Saw.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chainshot

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Rails and headboard too, it turned out really well. The only thing I have left is to stain the headboard. The entire thing cost about $115 Canadian, so I saved hundreds of dollars and I enjoy doing it anyways.

I have the itch now, I think I’m going to do a coffee table next. It’s amazing how much money you can save buy going out a doing a lot of that stuff yourself, and most of the time it’s going to be better quality. Pinterest has thousands of DIY projects with step by step instruction, and the only tools you really need is a drill, and Mitre Saw.

A little bit of talent with your hands also helps. Sound like you're blessed with some!

I'm a bit of a DIYer too but furniture like what you just did is way beyond my skill level - I've done interior trim, bookcases and built ins but the kind of factory like stained/poly finishes I want continue to elude me.

I won't tell you what we paid for the bed we just bought. It would be embarrassing.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
I'm in the process of restoring and updating the woodworking shop I inherited from my pops. I have my cnc set up in one corner, my lathe in the other and it's a giant mess otherwise right now. The machine is on the old workbench and I'm looking forward to building a new workbench. I've got a dust collection system in the works so that it won't be a dusty disaster. There's a pretty healthy supply of dry cherry in the barn and a woods full of beauties to lay down on the Wood Mizer for next year's projects.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
It's an odd feeling being weeks away from being a parent, especially of twins. Knowing that in a few weeks, your life is going to get slammed into gear and go full throttle for the foreseeable future. Once the kids come, my wife needs to find a post fellowship job, which will involve us moving in July/August.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
It's an odd feeling being weeks away from being a parent, especially of twins. Knowing that in a few weeks, your life is going to get slammed into gear and go full throttle for the foreseeable future. Once the kids come, my wife needs to find a post fellowship job, which will involve us moving in July/August.

You’ll be moving out of that oasis known as Wilkes-Barre? :laugh:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Good luck. Being a parent is the best. Really.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
You’ll be moving out of that oasis known as Wilkes-Barre? :laugh:

I escaped it back in July. We are in Allentown currently, which, while not ideal, is much much better than the Wilkes Barre Scranton area. Once wife is done with her fellowship we will be moving (again)

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
A little bit of talent with your hands also helps. Sound like you're blessed with some!

I'm a bit of a DIYer too but furniture like what you just did is way beyond my skill level - I've done interior trim, bookcases and built ins but the kind of factory like stained/poly finishes I want continue to elude me.

I won't tell you what we paid for the bed we just bought. It would be embarrassing.
There's a small local company/outfit near my house which finishes unfinished furniture. I've used it for nicer pieces, and DIY'ed the others. You could look for a similar setup where you live. I'm sure there's something similar.

I'm in the process of restoring and updating the woodworking shop I inherited from my pops. I have my cnc set up in one corner, my lathe in the other and it's a giant mess otherwise right now. The machine is on the old workbench and I'm looking forward to building a new workbench. I've got a dust collection system in the works so that it won't be a dusty disaster. There's a pretty healthy supply of dry cherry in the barn and a woods full of beauties to lay down on the Wood Mizer for next year's projects.
I'm majorly jealous of both the shop and the wood supply. Did your dad pass, or just age out of spending copious time there? Did you ever work side by side there with him? I hope you savored that time/experience. I would treasure learning from my cousin or his (deceased) father; both have / had 40 years in the business.

First house I bought had a 29x32' insulated outbuilding with two 10' bay doors, two separate man-doors, a 10' shed roof off the back wall for additional storage (wood, lawn & garden), and a 100A sub-panel with plenty of circuits and extra capacity. House and shop were built by a small-time builder, and he used it for his business. Then he sold it to a finish carpenter / cabinet maker who used it for his business, then sold it to me (vacant, no machinery). Spent the money on the house, had no money left to outfit the shop significantly. When I later married, my wife wanted to live in town, so I traded one dream for another.

4 houses later, and I'm not moving again until I retire. I put up a 12x20' shed in 2014 which I am still running off a 12/3 extension cord. Redid my house electrical service summer 2017 and paid an electrician to put in a new main panel (previously had no main disconnect, had a 6-breaker service panel instead, running to a sub-panel in the laundry room). Added several extra circuits for house, garage, and exterior, and improved the safety of the prior distribution (some myself, most I paid for). I updated the kitchen and 2 baths, previous owner had added a screened porch tapped off interior 15A circuits with no GFCI/AFCI. Added a 60A breaker for the shop, but haven't completed the 6/3 run to it yet. (I won't go 36" below ground, so need to do it myself.) The shop itself is 50% wired; I did that when I was placing my benches & cabinets, etc. so I wouldn't have interference later.

My issue (besides space - who doesn't have an issue with space?) is moisture. Since it's an outbuilding, I haven't insulated it because I don't want to condition the air 24 x 7 x 365, and the insulation would just trap moisture. Mold / mildew is always problem in Sept., and can be throughout the year (it was 74 degrees and 99% humidity yesterday).

Those of you up north / in WNY won't appreciate the value of a basement (storage, "free" living space, shop space, etc., access to wiring and plumbing) unless you've lived in the south where there are no basements.

Hoping to finish the wiring in both the shop and the garage, clean both out, clean both up, and be ready restore '64 1/2 Mustang (garage) and to build a few "heirlooms" keepsakes for the kids (workshop). I also have some cheap customizing to do in our bonus room to make it more usable.

I'll post pics if I ever finish any / all of those things.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I escaped it back in July. We are in Allentown currently, which, while not ideal, is much much better than the Wilkes Barre Scranton area. Once wife is done with her fellowship we will be moving (again)
Ah yes.. Allentown is a smidge better. When compared to Wilkes-Barre :laugh:

Reactions: sabremike

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I really just cannot wait. I am sure the imminent arrival of twins is different than just one baby, but I know that I’m counting down the days until we go full throttle down here. Wishing you and your wife the best of luck and a lot of happiness and great health

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Good luck. Being a parent is the best. Really.

I really just cannot wait. I am sure the imminent arrival of twins is different than just one baby, but I know that I’m counting down the days until we go full throttle down here. Wishing you and your wife the best of luck and a lot of happiness and great health

Within hours of me posting this, I'm sitting in the hospital. My wife went for monitoring check today and they said she was having contractions. They checked her and she was dilated. Thankfully the babies haven't come yet and it appears, for now at least, things are being held in check. She's at 32 weeks and the babies weight estimate is ahead of the curve (they were both estimated at over 4 lbs at 32 weeks) . We had a pre term labor scare at 28 weeks which was much scarier. Hopefully the buns are in the oven for a few more weeks .

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Ah yes.. Allentown is a smidge better. When compared to Wilkes-Barre :laugh:
This reminds me of something a friend of mine once said about Pennsylvania: In the east you have Philly, in the center you have Harrisburg/Hershey, in the west you have Pittsburgh and the rest of the state is basically Alabama.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Within hours of me posting this, I'm sitting in the hospital. My wife went for monitoring check today and they said she was having contractions. They checked her and she was dilated. Thankfully the babies haven't come yet and it appears, for now at least, things are being held in check. She's at 32 weeks and the babies weight estimate is ahead of the curve (they were both estimated at over 4 lbs at 32 weeks) . We had a pre term labor scare at 28 weeks which was much scarier. Hopefully the buns are in the oven for a few more weeks .
Any updates? Hope everything is settled down and fine!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad