OT: The Thread About Nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
disclaimer: this is not a political post:

im trying to get a grasp on some things in my brain……ive always had very certain view on politics and deep down had the urge to do something …. its been forever and ive really never done anything……

……i contacted a person who is running for a term and volunteered to help in whichever way.

the meeting was last night, about 10-12 people…..an interesting experience……feeling out the others who are on the 'same campaign trail' …..got a few numbers….going to follow up and see what i can do

…..just dont show up in full travis bickle look right? :sarcasm:

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I've volunteered on a number of campaigns over the years, mostly phone banking during election times and some light statistical stuff that goes along with that. I will say it's the best way to meet professional contacts I've ever seen, not that that's why you do it. Just stay away from the ideological zealots, which exist in any campaign, and certainly dont become one of them.

Reactions: VaxjoDevil

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Hopefully downtown Newark is next to gentrify

It already started.

It's obviously no where near completion, but it's well underway.

Downtown Newark is visibly a nicer-looking place than it was when the Rock opened, and I'm sticking to that. The new Prudential Tower, Hahne & Company conversion, paving Broad Street, high-rise construction, etc. have all made noticeable improvements. Even over on Market/Broad, like yeah, you still have a lot of more run-down looking retail, but low income people need a place to shop too and they have a right to be there. I hope the gentrification doesn't get *too* out of control.

I will say this: Downtown Newark is a MUCH nicer looking area than where I work at Journal Square in Jersey City. Seriously.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Really?

Not too long ago Red Hook was to be avoided unless you wanted to get mugged

Yeah Red Hook was definitely like that in the past. My mom tells me the stories every time I mention to her that I'm going there. It's completely different now. They even hold the Formula E-Prix there. That whole area of Brooklyn is bougie now.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Anyone ever get a flea market, garage sale, or internet buy that turned out way, way, better than you ever knew?

Last June I bought a M1903A3 in great condition for $750, which is a good deal, and even better because it's a Smith-Corona, which had much lower production (i.e. rarer) than Remington. Anyway, the rifle came with a leather sling that looked old, but with so many repros you never know, and I didnt care about the sling at all & would have paid the $750 without it. Finally last month I got sick of this sling laying around & did some research & confirmed it's a WWII 1942 sling, which sell for about $100. A nice bonus, since I had no idea, and I couldnt have cared less about the sling anyway. Well, it turns out my sling has brass clamps, which is very rare as brass was important to the war effort, so only the first ones off the manufacturing line had brass and the rest of the WWII slings used steel. Long story short, my sling just sold for $700. CRAZY! lol

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Anyone ever get a flea market, garage sale, or internet buy that turned out way, way, better than you ever knew?

Last June I bought a M1903A3 in great condition for $750, which is a good deal, and even better because it's a Smith-Corona, which had much lower production (i.e. rarer) than Remington. Anyway, the rifle came with a leather sling that looked old, but with so many repros you never know, and I didnt care about the sling at all & would have paid the $750 without it. Finally last month I got sick of this sling laying around & did some research & confirmed it's a WWII 1942 sling, which sell for about $100. A nice bonus, since I had no idea, and I couldnt have cared less about the sling anyway. Well, it turns out my sling has brass clamps, which is very rare as brass was important to the war effort, so only the first ones off the manufacturing line had brass and the rest of the WWII slings used steel. Long story short, my sling just sold for $700. CRAZY! lol

So tl;dr you got a vintage rifle for $50. Outstanding. :laugh:

Reactions: BenedictGomez

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Yeah Red Hook was definitely like that in the past. My mom tells me the stories every time I mention to her that I'm going there. It's completely different now. They even hold the Formula E-Prix there. That whole area of Brooklyn is bougie now.

I haven't been to Brooklyn in over 20 years

I'm glad I'm hearing good things, but like in any city, keep your head on a swivel when walking around especially at night.

You're always not that far away from a rough area

Reactions: New Jersey

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
I haven't been to Brooklyn in over 20 years

I'm glad I'm hearing good things, but like in any city, keep your head on a swivel when walking around especially at night.

You're always not that far away from a rough area

I was thinking about what you said South Orange Ave. a few weeks ago.

You were pretty much spot-on. The area isn't great, but just being aware of your surroundings when driving through goes a long way.

I've only had three classes so far and I don't think much of driving through there at almost 10:00 pm already.

EDIT: It's not like Newark West Side or Springfield Ave. where you feel like you have to run red lights, either, not even close.

Reactions: Devils Dominion

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I was thinking about what you said South Orange Ave. a few weeks ago.

You were pretty much spot-on. The area isn't great, but just being aware of your surroundings when driving through goes a long way.

I've only had three classes so far and I don't think much of driving through there at almost 10:00 pm already. It's not like Newark West Side or Springfield Ave. where you feel like you have to run red lights, either, not even close.

Yeah, no matter what city you're in, just be aware of who and what is around you just in case.
The element of surprise is a criminal's best advantage.

Odds are extremely high that you'll be fine in your drive from SHU to the GSP and back.

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Yeah, no matter what city you're in, just be aware of who and what is around you just in case.
The element of surprise if a criminal's best advantage.

Odds are extremely high that you'll be fine in your drive from SHU to the GSP and back.

Going there from work, I actually take 280 up to Freeway Drive and make the left onto Harrison Street and go down through East Orange so I can avoid the Parkway toll. That way isn't all that bad, either, and when you cross into South Orange from East Orange past the VA Hospital it actually looks kinda nice.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Going there from work, I actually take 280 up to Freeway Drive and make the left onto Harrison Street and go down through East Orange so I can avoid the Parkway toll. That way isn't all that bad, either, and when you cross into South Orange from East Orange past the VA Hospital it actually looks kinda nice.

From what I recall, that area of EO is a little more residential but don't let your guard down either.

A few years ago I actually stopped into that liquor store in Newark on the SO border on SO Ave.
it was during early evening, most of the customers were SHU students.

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
From what I recall, that area of EO is a little more residential but don't let your guard down either.

A few years ago I actually stopped into that liquor store in Newark on the SO border on SO Ave.
it was during early evening, most of the customers were SHU students.

Just this past Tuesday I saw two kids (clearly students, one had a blue SHU shirt on), walking back towards campus up SO Ave from the direction of Newark with a couple plain black plastic bags. :laugh:

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela

did the gun transfer to you legally? like how does that even work? don't you have to do it through an FFL?

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
To seriously answer your question, however, it depends upon the transaction & what is being bought.

For instance, handguns are far more regulated than rifles. Fully automatic rifles are far more regulated than semiautomatic rifles, bolt action rifles, and etc.... Rules vary widely by state.

In NJ, for rifles, if you buy from someone OTHER than the state you are a citizen of or if you purchase online, you must go through an FFL. If you buy a rifle from someone who is a citizen of your state you can do a private sale provided the buyer has a FID (Firearm Identification Card), which anyone in NJ who owns guns must have. Until October 1, 2018, that is, because our new rabidly anti-gun governor has made private sales illegal. You know, because all them Newark gang bangers get their guns by first getting fingerprinted, going to their police station, getting an FID card from the police, and providing it for every gun they buy (yes, this is sarcasm) on the street corner.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
To seriously answer your question, however, it depends upon the transaction & what is being bought.

For instance, handguns are far more regulated than rifles. Fully automatic rifles are far more regulated than semiautomatic rifles, bolt action rifles, and etc.... Rules vary widely by state.

In NJ, for rifles, if you buy from someone OTHER than the state you are a citizen of or if you purchase online, you must go through an FFL. If you buy a rifle from someone who is a citizen of your state you can do a private sale provided the buyer has a FID (Firearm Identification Card), which anyone in NJ who owns guns must have. Until October 1, 2018, that is, because our new rabidly anti-gun governor has made private sales illegal. You know, because all them Newark gang bangers get their guns by first getting fingerprinted, going to their police station, getting an FID card from the police, and providing it for every gun they buy (yes, this is sarcasm) on the street corner.
yeah... i mourn with you. i own 2 handguns and, fortunately, did the process before the new governor. i mean, i now live in NYC, so my babies are sitting at home, but yeah...

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Parts of Brooklyn have been pretty nice and safe for as long as I can remember.

Although I am old enough to remember when Manhattan and most of the boro's were a place you didn't wanna travel to. And like I discussed not too far back when I talked about the long bike rides I took as a kid, Asbury Park was a place where you didn't wanna wander to back in the 90's. Possibly even as recently as 12-15 years ago.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Parts of Brooklyn have been pretty nice and safe for as long as I can remember.

Although I am old enough to remember when Manhattan and most of the boro's were a place you didn't wanna travel to. And like I discussed not too far back when I talked about the long bike rides I took as a kid, Asbury Park was a place where you didn't wanna wander to back in the 90's. Possibly even as recently as 12-15 years ago.

Asbury had a rebirth and is still improving

Times Square was a pit pre-Rudy

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I imagine everyone's seen the video of that guy taunting a giant bison in Yellowstone last month.

Here's a group of folks taking pictures of rutting bull elk fighting. Fine. But watch as most of the idiots just stand there continuing to take pics when 1 of them approaches, like it's a house cat. This guy is lucky he wasnt seriously hurt or killed.

Reactions: Billdo

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Typical Weather Channel drama. It's honestly sickening.

I mentioned last year about all the nonsense TWC gets into. I was waiting for horse head guy to walk past.

This was is an interesting map just put out lol. Saw it on one of the local FB pages, dick jokes top to bottom in the comments.

oi9WD8I.jpg

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
There are SO many great examples of this. A few of my favorites (which went viral).

penisweather.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

thrust.jpg

I really think the boobs one had to have been done intentionally.

i like where this thread is going but i dare not post the rejected jovi "slippery when wet" cover

on a related note...im making my bread and butter pickles tonight…..got them in the salt and waiting

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad