OT: The Thread About Nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
So, let me ask this.

Does Tinder work? I'm looking for anything right now, I'm really open to anything, be it casual hookups, FWB/FB, or dating/eventual relationship/eventual marriage someday.

I just tend to take things wherever they go. I'm pretty much looking for whatever happens. I'm open to anything but platonic friendship. I've never used it before, but just signed up. Having trouble deciding which pictures I like and don't like. It at least gave me something exciting to do for a few minutes just now.

I've been saying I'm gonna sign up for years, but just bit the bullet.

I met my current girl on tinder and she's great. It really depends on your area and what you're looking for.

I live in NYC and tinder has fallen a bit in popularity here but it still might be the largest app in your county. Bumble - same concept but the woman has to contact you first - is pretty solid if you know how to write a profile for the demo you're aiming for. If you have a large amount of Facebook friends you could also try hinge, as it only connects you to friends of friends on facebook. I have a friend who's successful on there but can understand why that would be weird for some.

Avoid POF at all costs unless single mothers in keansburg are your thing.

Good luck.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
I actually lost over 100 pounds four years ago and have kept it off.

Been on there for an hour and have only matched with a bot so far haha.

As a previous poster said, it's a numbers game.

If you're not confident in your profile have a friend - preferabally female or a male that's had success on apps - honestly review yours with you.

And congrats on the weight loss.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I met my current girl on tinder and she's great. It really depends on your area and what you're looking for.

I live in NYC and tinder has fallen a bit in popularity here but it still might be the largest app in your county. Bumble - same concept but the woman has to contact you first - is pretty solid if you know how to write a profile for the demo you're aiming for. If you have a large amount of Facebook friends you could also try hinge, as it only connects you to friends of friends on facebook. I have a friend who's successful on there but can understand why that would be weird for some.

Avoid POF at all costs unless single mothers in keansburg are your thing.

Good luck.
As a previous poster said, it's a numbers game.

If you're not confident in your profile have a friend - preferabally female or a male that's had success on apps - honestly review yours with you.

And congrats on the weight loss.
Thanks and definitely agree with you on the numbers game. You have to get through the no's to get to the yes's.

I'm only getting a few matches on Tinder, not having much luck. The girls are (mostly) cute that I've matched with, but I haven't messaged any. One messaged me the other day and I messaged her back and got no reply. I hate shit like that. Leave me alone if you're not gonna reply to me after you message me FIRST! That shit is annoying as f***.

I haven't sent any messages though. I'm still hoping things can be fixed with the other girl in the next couple of weeks. I'm just not into anyone else right now, but I think if someone I liked came to my door and through herself at me, I'd probably be into it, but that's not happening and I'm not really into putting a lot of effort into meeting anyone. I have a good feeling that things will be fixed with the other, despite radio silence over the last week. I'm giving her some time and space.

I haven't been doing too well, which explains why I'm not very active on here, as opposed to my usual spam posting self. Went out on my best friend's boat today. Had a fun time. Hung out at his house with his kids. I do that almost every weekend, so it's not like it's something new, but I feel better in the company of others and not sitting at home doing nothing all day. Sleep has been hard to come by. Initially falling asleep is fine, but if I get up for more than 2-3 minutes in the middle of the night? Forget about it. Post-workday naps are also not happening for me this past week. No matter if I only sleep 2-5 hours the night before. This absolutely blows.

Reactions: My3Sons

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Thanks and definitely agree with you on the numbers game. You have to get through the no's to get to the yes's.

I'm only getting a few matches on Tinder, not having much luck. The girls are (mostly) cute that I've matched with, but I haven't messaged any. One messaged me the other day and I messaged her back and got no reply. I hate **** like that. Leave me alone if you're not gonna reply to me after you message me FIRST! That **** is annoying as ****.

I haven't sent any messages though. I'm still hoping things can be fixed with the other girl in the next couple of weeks. I'm just not into anyone else right now, but I think if someone I liked came to my door and through herself at me, I'd probably be into it, but that's not happening and I'm not really into putting a lot of effort into meeting anyone. I have a good feeling that things will be fixed with the other, despite radio silence over the last week. I'm giving her some time and space.

I haven't been doing too well, which explains why I'm not very active on here, as opposed to my usual spam posting self. Went out on my best friend's boat today. Had a fun time. Hung out at his house with his kids. I do that almost every weekend, so it's not like it's something new, but I feel better in the company of others and not sitting at home doing nothing all day. Sleep has been hard to come by. Initially falling asleep is fine, but if I get up for more than 2-3 minutes in the middle of the night? Forget about it. Post-workday naps are also not happening for me this past week. No matter if I only sleep 2-5 hours the night before. This absolutely blows.

Do you volunteer to do anything? Do you exercise?

I'm thinking of places to meet women where their guard isn't up?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Do you volunteer to do anything? Do you exercise?

I'm thinking of places to meet women where their guard isn't up?
I mean, I take walks around my neighborhood and occasionally in the mall since it has AC and I won't sweat my ass off.

I'm out of ideas, honestly. I met that last one because she pursued me.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Don't make me fly down to Florida Bleed and snap you out of it. :sarcasm:

You'll be fine brother, when one door closes another one opens
Thanks DD.

I keep thinking and hoping the same thing. Last time I cared about someone this much and lost her pretty early into the relationship, I met the best girlfriend I had ever had.

I really think this might be history repeating itself, if I'm lucky.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
I think we should crowdfund sending Bleed on a single's cruise, with the only stipulation being that he update us everyday on the weird happenings that must occur.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Is he there right now? I drove by it last night and saw headlights in a couple spots in the woods along his course and 78. I figured he was when I saw that because troopers definitely won't sit there.

I think he left last night. I was on Lamington Road yesterday around 1pm and saw random police cars and unmarked SUVs in various cutouts, and certain service roads along the golf course were blocked off. The main entrance had a police car and 3 SUVs. I'm 100% sure there's stuff hidden that you cant even see though, for instance, when the US Open was held there last year my gf was a course volunteer, and she saw them building sniper nests set-up in the woods, and they then got camo-d up.

Jersey Man

Mad Dog
Oct 20, 2008
New York, NY
Flight? By the time you drive to JFK, get there an hour and a half before the flight, flight time, mass transit from MTL airport into city, you could have just drive there (5.5 hours).

Uber or Lyft to JFK from my apt in Astoria is roughly 25 min depending on the traffic. Since I don't have a car and rather not drive up during the winter from NYC, I'll do the flight lol.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Thanks DD.

I keep thinking and hoping the same thing. Last time I cared about someone this much and lost her pretty early into the relationship, I met the best girlfriend I had ever had.

I really think this might be history repeating itself, if I'm lucky.

Yeah @Devils Dominion and you can take in a future cup winning Florida Panthers game or something

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
driving to montreal is the move from north jersey/nyc. i've done it myself, and i gotta agree with bg that by the time you commute to the airport, go through security, wait at your gate, and taxi, you would be well past albany on the northway at that point had you just driven.

montreal is close enough where the price of your airfare and the hassle of flying just isn't worth it [if you have access to a car].

Reactions: BenedictGomez

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Uber or Lyft to JFK from my apt in Astoria is roughly 25 min depending on the traffic. Since I don't have a car and rather not drive up during the winter from NYC, I'll do the flight lol.
I'm with you on this one, especially in the winter. I'm about 30-35 from lga and jfk, just kick back in a lyft, get through security, chill at the bar for a bit, board, and you're there in an hour.

Worrying about parking, border crossing, and traffic is for the birds.

Although there is an argument to be made for driving if it's a summer road trip stopping in the Adirondacks or if you're bringing snowboard/ski gear in the winter.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I'm with you on this one, especially in the winter. I'm about 30-35 from lga and jfk, just kick back in a lyft, get through security, chill at the bar for a bit, board, and you're there in an hour.

Although there is an argument to be made for driving if it's a summer road trip stopping in the Adirondacks or if you're bringing snowboard/ski gear in the winter.

caught a game at the joe in detroit a few years ago….devils lost…..i was wearing a jersey so it was obvious i was crossing for the game (took a bus across and back from windsor)

on the way back everyone has to get off the bus and go through customs……. the border guard asked me, "do you have anything to declare?"

i just shook my head and said, 'ya…..that sucked!'

he laughed "go on, youre good"

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
I mean, I take walks around my neighborhood and occasionally in the mall since it has AC and I won't sweat my ass off.

I'm out of ideas, honestly. I met that last one because she pursued me.

So many women have their guard up, so where would one go to find women where they don't have their guard up. I don't know you financial situation, which would obviously affect what you're able to do.

You could volunteer at a hospital.
Join a running club/gym classes.
SPCA or similar fundraisers.
meetup.com (people getting together to do things based on interests)

Last edited:

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012
Bleed

Dating sites/apps blow. I used to message girls on Facebook and even Friendster (2003 says wuddup!) and got dates that way. f*** a dating site but I’m sure it works for some. All I met on them were a bunch of flakes. They usually ghosted before long and were texting/messaging with other guys. Not that there’s anything wrong with talking/dating multi’s when you’re not yet in a relationship. Just remember the numbers game. +1 on the dude who said that.

By the way, this girl sounds like some skank I “dated” about 5 years ago. She was a cheater, a liar and a bunch of other NSFW words. She was living with the ex, still “sleeping” with him, but claimed they weren’t actually having sex, just sharing a bed/home/expenses. He even had his FB tagged with her as in a relationship and their family picture with their kid as his profile pic. I threatened to tell him about us and she got so angry and cut me off. I never did tell him, I’m such s teddy bear, but I hope the next guy did. I asked her if she was gonna line up the next guy and she said she was terrified after that, so she’ll just be unhappy forever. f*** her and f*** your girl, Bleed. You know I’m only being real with you. I deserved better, you deserve better too.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

My long time dream has been to buy some land in northern vt, which would serve as a ski getaway/hopping point to Mtl. And since that is a long drive even to northern VT, we have stopped and camped on the way up in the past.

At this point nothing really stopping me from following through. Just need to pull the trigger.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Side note, quarter share slope side condo's for sale at Mount Snow for $7 grand. Multiples in that range. Comes with perks of staying at resort during you non scheduled week from price of cleaning fees.

I assume the maintenance fee is fairly rich, but man that is cheap.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
My long time dream has been to buy some land in northern vt, which would serve as a ski getaway/hopping point to Mtl. And since that is a long drive even to northern VT, we have stopped and camped on the way up in the past.

At this point nothing really stopping me from following through. Just need to pull the trigger.
No doubt. I was fortunate enough to spend a week every summer and winter at smugglers notch growing up. We would always take days trips into Montreal as it's only about 1.5 hours from there. Then again that was before passport's were required. I'm pretty sure only one of my siblings has a passport to this day unfortunately.

Not quite land, but good for a family of 7 in the 90's.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Side note, quarter share slope side condo's for sale at Mount Snow for $7 grand. Multiples in that range. Comes with perks of staying at resort during you non scheduled week from price of cleaning fees.

I assume the maintenance fee is fairly rich, but man that is cheap.
That sounds like a great deal on its face. The devil could be in the details though.

Do you have a link?

Edit: nevermind. After taxes and maintenance it comes out to about 10k per year for 407sqft. Which isn't bad if you can airbnb it. If you can't, I just don't know that I'd want to commit to mt snow 1 week out of every month. The rci selling point is kind of nonsense unless you can move on the fly regularly. Trading weeks for desirable locales isn't easy as I've tried with my parents account.

That being said, if you're like my family and like the same location frequently, go for it. I love that area.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Let them have at it! We can hear them on TV pop for the Devils goals and hopefully a long awaited win in that dump! Oh, **** the Panthers too! That’s my last **** for the day! Time to drop the mic!
Well, as soon as @Bildo mentioned the Panthers, I figured that if that didn't set off the @Cage Helmet bat signal.... The beetlejuicing from the Panthers mention had to be the most obvious and predictable thing that could have happened today, outside of the sun rising.:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad