OT: The Thread About Nothing Part 197 Winter, comets, and Fios oh my!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
So if The New York Times is correct, this Germanwings crash is looking more and more like it was pilot induced. Seems interesting to me they haven't released the pilot's names yet.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
So if The New York Times is correct, this Germanwings crash is looking more and more like it was pilot induced. Seems interesting to me they haven't released the pilot's names yet.
I find strange that terror was ruled out immediately. It was dismissed before they retrieved the voice communicator and before they could even get to the wreckage.

This whole thing has been followed closely in my house...
My wife's sisters lives in the south of France and that morning she was heading off to Belgium for work. My wife and her sister were talking for about an hour before she was to take off on a Lufthansa flight from the Cote D Azu airport.

This was around 7:00am our time while at the breakfast table.

15 minutes after they said goodbye and she took off, NJ News 12 reported a plane just crashed in the Southern Alps.

Let's just say that it was a pretty frantic 20 minutes in my house until we found out the flight was coming from Barcelona. But the thing is once you realize that your loved ones are safe you first feel relieved then you feel guilty for being relieved because a 144 still died...that is a pretty ****** feeling.

Last edited:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I find strange that terror was ruled out immediately. It was dismissed before they retrieved the voice communicator and before they could even get to the wreckage.

This whole thing has been followed closely in my house...
My wife's sisters lives in the south of France and that morning she was heading off to Belgium for work. My wife and her sister were talking for about an hour before she was to take off on a Lufthansa flight from the Cote D Azu airport.

This was around 7:00am our time while at the breakfast table.

15 minutes after they said goodbye and she took off, NJ News 12 reported a plane just crashed in the Southern Alps.

Let's just say that it was a pretty frantic 20 minutes in my house until we found out the flight was coming from Barcelona. But the thing is once you realize that your loved ones are safe you first feel relieved then you feel guilty for being relieved because a 144 still died...that is a pretty ****** feeling.[/QUOTE]

Is that what is considered "survivors guilt". Feeling guilty because in one way you are happy(or happy for someone) that you lived through the ordeal?

Have long heard the term but never understood how the guilt came to be.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
More often survivors guilt is in the case where 1 out of the 144 survived and they feel guilty that they did and no one else did... It's more about the people that are part of the tragedy, not on the periphery like Jim.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
More often survivors guilt is in the case where 1 out of the 144 survived and they feel guilty that they did and no one else did... It's more about the people that are part of the tragedy, not on the periphery like Jim.
Yeah, I didn't survive anything... except dealing with my wife for about 20 minutes... and my coffee got cold which was my biggest tragedy.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

But how does guilt enter the equation though?

Is it as Jim explains, this feeling of relief or happiness that they survived conflicting with the tragic feelings one would expect?

Typically one feels guilt because that person did something wrong. But what did they do in this situation besides survive? Why would they feel like surviving was the wrong thing to do?

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
Yeah, I didn't survive anything... except dealing with my wife for about 20 minutes... and my coffee got cold which was my biggest tragedy.

Should have just thrown some ice in it and called it a day.

Is it as Jim explains, this feeling of relief or happiness that they survived conflicting with the tragic feelings one would expect?

Typically one feels guilt because that person did something wrong. But what did they do in this situation besides survive? Why would they feel like surviving was the wrong thing to do?

Let's say your in a car with 3 people at 18. You get hit by a truck. The 3 people die, you live. 2 years later, your getting married, and you feel guilty because they will never get to experience that. Or one was planning on becoming a doctor, and you feel guilty because you're not helping the world like they would have. It's bigger picture stuff like that.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
survivor's guilt can be the burden of living the life they couldn't too - an old girlfriend's twin sister died when she was little and she always felt an obligation to live up to a higher standard for her sister to not 'waste' her own. She said it felt like she was living two lives for them both and couldn't help but think her sister would have done it better.

2nd guessing every move if it was good enough for not just you, but someone who is dead. That's heavy with just 1 person - imagine hundreds.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

Our guilt was definitely from a notion of doing something wrong.

I would say the "guilt" (for lack of a better word) came form the realization that your thought process and emotion was pure selfishness.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Should have just thrown some ice in it and called it a day.

Let's say your in a car with 3 people at 18. You get hit by a truck. The 3 people die, you live. 2 years later, your getting married, and you feel guilty because they will never get to experience that. Or one was planning on becoming a doctor, and you feel guilty because you're not helping the world like they would have. It's bigger picture stuff like that.

So I see possibly see 2 different things going on there.

1)What I was talking about above. Getting Married, happy bout that, conflicts with the sadness one has for the friend who will not experience.

2)The feeling that one has to live up to a standard that the other appeared to be destined to reach.

Just trying to work this out in my head, for I never really understood how "guilt" came into play. The former seems to more meet the definition of guilt, where the latter seems to be something along the lines of survivors burden. But that may be just semantics? Perhaps "survivors guilt" is a bit of a catch all that encompasses numerous feelings one feels after such an event?

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
So I see possibly see 2 different things going on there.

1)What I was talking about above. Getting Married, happy bout that, conflicts with the sadness one has for the friend who will not experience.

2)The feeling that one has to live up to a standard that the other appeared to be destined to reach.

Just trying to work this out in my head, for I never really understood how "guilt" came into play. The former seems to more meet the definition of guilt, where the latter seems to be something along the lines of survivors burden. But that may be just semantics? Perhaps "survivors guilt" is a bit of a catch all that encompasses numerous feelings one feels after such an event?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivor_guilt

Apparently it's also called "Survivor's Syndrome" which is more fitting when you put it the way you say, cause it encompasses the guilt and burden you mention. According to Wiki, it's actually under the umbrella of PTSD in the newest DSM, which really makes more sense when you think about it.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

This has been the recent trend of not just this incident, but several other high profile events over the course of the last handful of years. I'm not even sure what it says.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
This has been the recent trend of not just this incident, but several other high profile events over the course of the last handful of years. I'm not even sure what it says.

I think it says that people are done giving a ton of media attention to terrorists and there cause which is exactly what they want. Now you can argue whether it's better to hide the truth to screw over the terrorists or tell the truth, bring their cause to light and bring fear to the masses and that's fair. I don't know what the better option is, or if it's something else. Regardless, if it was a terrorist group they would claim it and try to blow it up on the Web and their news networks.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I saw worms on the sidewalk for the first time this year and I got all excited...Going fishing tomorrow for sure!

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Supposed to snow in the PM tomorrow. Not out of the woods yet.

Edit: Actually, that's what they said last night. Now they changed their mind.

Jersey Man

Mad Dog
Oct 20, 2008
New York, NY
Just got back from Virginia/DC. Had a great time at the Caps game Thursday night. Friendly fans and even saw a bunch of Devils fans which was nice. Traffic leaving DC was brutal after the game though.

kiwidevil

Broke my chain mounting biking today. Luckily I wasn't somewhere too far away and it only took me 45mins to walk home.
Scanning the net for saddle bag with chain break tool, etc all loaded up, and of course, some spare master links. Whoops!

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Broke my chain mounting biking today. Luckily I wasn't somewhere too far away and it only took me 45mins to walk home.
Scanning the net for saddle bag with chain break tool, etc all loaded up, and of course, some spare master links. Whoops!

so. the biking is going well? :laugh:

im going to try starting my road rides after easter weekend… (motivation will be key for this to happen…..and its not looking that great)

..one more weekend of too much food……..finally the weather has turned and the rides will be cool. not hot, not cold. cool.

slowly back to full speed i guess. man, i got winter to work off.

feeling lethargic as ****

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad