OT: The Thread About Nothing CCX: Pet Emporium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
why all these major social distancing measures are being taken. To slow the spread and give hospitals a chance to keep up.

problem is we have done such a bad job with testing that we really don’t have a good picture of where this country is at in regards to the virus. It’s possible all this happened a week too late. We simply don’t know

I actually feel a little bit better today than I did yesterday, because I'm starting to think that people are sufficiently alarmed. Cleaning out supermarkets is dumb behavior, but if they're panicking that probably also means they're doing the little things (hand washing, cancelling gatherings, disinfecting, etc.) that will help us not turn into Italy.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
South Korea just updated COVID19 data. 7,979 confirmed cases, overall death rate = 0.84%.

Still not a single death in patients < 30 years old in 2,772 cases.
Patients age 30 - 49 = death rate of 0.1% (2 in 1,940), similar to common flu.
Death rate > 80 however is still very high = 8.3% (253 cases).

It would appear their curve is flattening, which I think is extremely encouraging. Total deaths so far = 67.

SK-03132020.jpg

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
why all these major social distancing measures are being taken. To slow the spread and give hospitals a chance to keep up.

problem is we have done such a bad job with testing that we really don’t have a good picture of where this country is at in regards to the virus. It’s possible all this happened a week too late. We simply don’t know
That's what wild about this. Like where do we start to just stay home or what do we stay away from? I've got tickets to see a comedian on the 28th at Stress Factory. Do I go? Will it be canceled? I work in a school, I wash my hands way more than the average person even before this but now I've upped it even more. Life is wild man.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
What's everyone think of all this...

Notes from UCSF Expert panel - March 10

I think a lot of their advise is great, especially temporarily moving grandma & grandpa out of the nursing home and back home for a few months. I wish that was CDC guidance.

Their estimate of 1.5 Million people dead in the streets of America in the next few months, will, like other draconian death rates of viral pandemics, fail. Not happening.

They're fixated on their mathematical models without comprehending that real life doesn't work like that (because....well....they're wonks). Their models dont account for the fact that people are currently treating strangers like potential ISIS terrorists or the fact that we've already taken unprecedented measures (whoever thought the NBC, NHL, and March Madness wouldnt be a thing?). I have a lot of experience with modeling, even when you literally know pretty much every variable input, your model can easily go to ****. In this case, they're modeling something that has literally never happened before. Ever. Good luck with all that.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
so NYC is cancelling the st patricks day parade this weekend... makes sense.

but what will they do about the crowds that roam the city this weekend? can they do anything/will they?

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
I think a lot of their advise is great, especially temporarily moving grandma & grandpa out of the nursing home and back home for a few months. I wish that was CDC guidance.

Their estimate of 1.5 Million people dead in the streets of America in the next few months, will, like other draconian death rates of viral pandemics, fail. Not happening.

They're fixated on their mathematical models without comprehending that real life doesn't work like that (because....well....they're wonks). Their models dont account for the fact that people are currently treating strangers like potential ISIS terrorists or the fact that we've already taken unprecedented measures (whoever thought the NBC, NHL, and March Madness wouldnt be a thing?). I have a lot of experience with modeling, even when you literally know pretty much every variable input, your model can easily go to ****. In this case, they're modeling something that has literally never happened before. Ever. Good luck with all that.

Dude. Just stop already.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
South Korea has done an excellent and proactive job it reacting to this virus.

This can’t be said about the US. We don’t have as many hospital beds per person as they do. We are not aggressively testing like they have from the very start.

We are closer to Italy then SK.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
so NYC is cancelling the st patricks day parade this weekend... makes sense.

but what will they do about the crowds that roam the city this weekend? can they do anything/will they?

Lots of people are thinking they will be locking down the city completely starting tonight. At this point I can't believe it, after canceling all these major events and even Disney closing all bets are off lol

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Dude. Just stop already.

I think he brings up a good point though about everyone changing their interactions. Basically everyone I know is currently at home and working from home(except those in public service) and with all entertainment events canceled nobody has plans to go out.

If the vast majority are doing this it should help reduce the numbers hopefully.

Reactions: Darkauron

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
South Korea: Universal Health Care, Paid Sick Leave, widespread testing.

United States: People getting sick, unable to get tested, can't afford to not work, going to work sick

This should go well

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I think he brings up a good point though about everyone changing their interactions. Basically everyone I know is currently at home and working from home(except those in public service) and with all entertainment events canceled nobody has plans to go out.

If the vast majority are doing this it should help reduce the numbers hopefully.

We have started to change our behavior, but we aren't there yet.

Post Malone Facing Backlash for Denver Show Amid Coronavirus Fears

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
We have started to change our behavior, but we aren't there yet.

Post Malone Facing Backlash for Denver Show Amid Coronavirus Fears

Weird that didn't get canceled since basically the vast majority of concerts are getting canceled going forward, especially large ones. AEG and Live Nation both said they are shutting down tours.

I'm also very surprised they even started this game at MSG last night but they decided to shut it down at halftime...

https://www.si.com/college/2020/03/13/big-east-tournament-canceled-halftime-tim-brando

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Lots of people are thinking they will be locking down the city completely starting tonight. At this point I can't believe it, after canceling all these major events and even Disney closing all bets are off lol

I expect curfews at bars and restaurants but not a total lockdown. NYC is still way behind on testing too.

all those New Rochelle folks commuting in and out being in contract with people who commute in and out to all over NJ and LI using mass transit.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
I actually feel a little bit better today than I did yesterday, because I'm starting to think that people are sufficiently alarmed. Cleaning out supermarkets is dumb behavior, but if they're panicking that probably also means they're doing the little things (hand washing, cancelling gatherings, disinfecting, etc.) that will help us not turn into Italy.
Why would buying non-perishable items be dumb?

You're going to consume it eventually.

Unless we're talking about the toilet paper people. That's just f'n weird.

OmNomNom

Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
South Korea: Universal Health Care, Paid Sick Leave, widespread testing.

United States: People getting sick, unable to get tested, can't afford to not work, going to work sick

This should go well
How Italy, South Korea differ in tackling coronavirus outbreak
this article does a good job explaining some differences, IMO. test kits aside, SK got access to peoples' data, which is something we in the US do not have.

it's easier for SK to do too, since they have a much smaller population than the US does. granted, i'm sure with how dense seoul and other major cities are, they're probably hardpressed to get kits out to those areas, but the US has a LOT more people and a lot more densely populated cities, and there's only so many hours in a day to do testing.

first step has to be how we get enough kits

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
South Korea has done an excellent and proactive job it reacting to this virus.

This can’t be said about the US. We don’t have as many hospital beds per person as they do. We are not aggressively testing like they have from the very start.

We are closer to Italy then SK.
And probably behind Italy.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
my coworkers friend got off a plane in LA a few days ago and said he saw someone get robbed at gunpoint in broad daylight, just for her toilet paper.
Murica.

Unfortunately that's what a lot of folks don't get. If this drops like a bomb in NYC, Miami, Chicago, Dallas, etc, it could be chaos.

If you've ever been to Bellevue or Kings County, or hell, any number of private hospitals in NYC you'd know that we are woefully unprepared for this. I can't imagine many other major metropolises faring much better.

But drawing down on someone over tp? Just wash your nasty ass in the shower. I can't believe how long it's taken this country to adopt bidets. They're luxurious.

OmNomNom

Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Murica.

Unfortunately that's what a lot of folks don't get. If this drops like a bomb in NYC, Miami, Chicago, Dallas, etc, it could be chaos.

If you've ever been to Bellevue or Kings County, or hell, any number of private hospitals in NYC you'd know that we are woefully unprepared for this. I can't imagine many other major metropolises faring much better.

But drawing down on someone over tp? Just wash your nasty ass in the shower. I can't believe how long it's taken this country to adopt bidets. They're luxurious.
yeah i'm banking on it not being as bad and managing on being contained, and we go back to status quo in like 2-3 weeks, but there's def a lot of overreaction and misinformation (wrong facemasks being used, the idea that the virus is especially prevalent amongst eastern asians), but it's obviously pretty serious, and is gonna have long lasting impacts on companies, stocks, and the global GDP.

it's sure as hell an interesting time to be alive tho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad