OT: The Thread About Nothing CCX: Pet Emporium

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Most office jobs are that way, but the boomers running a lot of places cant fathom the idea of people actually doing things at home. They think we all just watch tv and play video games all day. Idiots.

Exactly.

So I generally work-from-home about 2 days out of 5. Honestly, I'd work-from-home 5 days out of 5 if I thought it wasn't politically risky due to aforementioned "boomers running" the place.

Yesterday we had a departmental conference call because my company is WFH for the next 2 weeks. The guy running the call wanted to make sure everyone has everything they need to WFH. I loffed.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
And there's 61 more where that came from!

#COVIDprepared

Beer.jpg

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Depends on the beer. For a mass produced beer like this they say about 2 months, but I find it's closer to 3. Most of your fancier microbrews you wont get anywhere near that long. That also factors into the decision (at least for me).
As someone who was in the business for quite some time I can say with certainty this is inaccurate.

You definitely should not be drinking Miller Lite 3 months after purchase if you care about taste. That's giving the benefit of the doubt that you're talking about untapped. Then again, it's Miller Lite so it could be hard to tell the difference.

As far as craft is concerned it's all over the place. I've aged barrels for YEARS with exceptional results.

Last edited:

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Gotta say, as a freelancer for a decade, who both travels and works from home, the bottleneck of boomers in offices seems to be a recurring thing I'm hearing over and over, from all my below-45 friends and family in the public and private sectors.

Wonder how much the pace of change accelerates once the generational hand-off is complete.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
If you have a set up at home to WFH, it's efficient

I honestly don’t. I need to rethink how I am situated for Monday for easier comfort.

but even then I felt more productive. For me all I need is my work laptop and steady internet to do my job.

We all communicate with Slack and we have Zoom if we need to conference for something and everything else is accessed from the cloud based servers.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Mayor of Teaneck is asking the entire town to self-quarantine. It isn’t required though.

Bergen County I believe has the most cases in the state, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Hudson jumps ahead once testing catches up. I assume both counties are full of NYC commuters.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
This is a tad dystopian. I get the logic, with social distancing and being proactive, but...

they should have did this before tonight. Hoboken’s bar scene is a shit show, and the exact thing that should be avoided right.

Drunk morons elbow to elbow spreading this around, and wasting emergency services taking care of them.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
they should have did this before tonight. Hoboken’s bar scene is a shit show, and the exact thing that should be avoided right.

Drunk morons elbow to elbow spreading this around, and wasting emergency services taking care of them.

I personally think it should be nationwide at this point. Whether anyone believes this whole thing is legit serious or not they literally canceled every major entertainment event in the country and some people are still acting like it's nothing and are out and about so why half ass the rest of it? Shut everything down at 10pm everywhere.

Reactions: Darkauron

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn

The bar across the street from my place in Brooklyn is packed.

The smokers (of all people) are on the sidewalk mocking the situation.

Frustrated doesn't begin to describe my emotions.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
The bar across the street from my place in Brooklyn is packed.

The smokers (of all people) are on the sidewalk mocking the situation.

Frustrated doesn't begin to describe my emotions.

It's probably too late at this point, this guy says NYC has 5-10 days to go into total quarantine to avoid being the next Italy:

Shut down the city this week. Close everything but grocery stores, banks, and pharmacies. Convert schools into food distribution centers. Bring in the National Guard to provide essential services like food and augment police and emergency services. Issue checks to all New Yorkers for the length of the quarantine for at least $500 per person per month. Limit travel outside of the region. Slow the growth of the virus to a crawl immediately.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
It's probably too late at this point, this guy says NYC has 5-10 days to go into total quarantine to avoid being the next Italy:

Shut down the city this week. Close everything but grocery stores, banks, and pharmacies. Convert schools into food distribution centers. Bring in the National Guard to provide essential services like food and augment police and emergency services. Issue checks to all New Yorkers for the length of the quarantine for at least $500 per person per month. Limit travel outside of the region. Slow the growth of the virus to a crawl immediately.

California is commandeering hotels as emergency centers while Deblasio is insisting we must keep public schools open because of impoverished children.

This is almost certainly not going to end well and is fairly anxiety inducing for a guy who not often enough pays any mind to his own health.

And I could not agree more with your last paragraph. If it blows up here the way many are predicting, it will literally be a national disaster that I don't see how they can contain within the rivers and the island.

Edited because politics.

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
He has a point about poor children, but they need to come up with a plan for that.

North Bergen is letting parents still pick up a the free school lunch because some people rely on those free meals to make their budget.

there are ways to be reasonable and still close the schools.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

If the NBA didn’t shut down, we would be even further behind on the social distancing and shutdowns.

It’s sad we needed to rely on Gorbet being an asshat so save all our old people.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Edited the post a few times. Feel free to ask any specifics.
So what is it about Miller lite that doesn't hold up? As opposed to the beer that ages well?

I figured the relative lack of hopp's would make it a beer that holds up awhile.

Also does beer in general hold up longer in a full keg as opposed to a half or less then half keg?

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
So what is it about Miller lite that doesn't hold up? As opposed to the beer that ages well?

I figured the relative lack of hopp's would make it a beer that holds up awhile.

Also does beer in general hold up longer in a full keg as opposed to a half or less then half keg?
I thought hops was basically a preservative. That's why IPAs are so hoppy. They needed to survive a long journey on a ship.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I thought hops was basically a preservative. That's why IPAs are so hoppy. They needed to survive a long journey on a ship.
I think it is more the strong flavors and aroma's cover up other ills of the beer, but if you want the hop flavor at it's best you want to drink it early.

Conversely beers that age well are low hop beers, belgian ale's and such.

At least that is my understanding of the situation.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
He has a point about poor children, but they need to come up with a plan for that.

North Bergen is letting parents still pick up a the free school lunch because some people rely on those free meals to make their budget.

there are ways to be reasonable and still close the schools.

That seems like a good solution that works for everyone then. That or some kind of meals on wheels option for the the kids would be a better alternative than just keeping schools open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad