OT: The Thread About Nothing CCVII: The sNOwstorm

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
ok you're just in devil's advocate mode now, I get it. :laugh:

No, I'm being entirely serious. Jeff Bezos is a ruthless dude who doesn't give a **** about our "feelings" or optics. Not until or unless it starts hurting his business. Is it? Not right now. South Park pretty much nailed it.

Reactions: New Jersey

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Oy vey. Be smarter than AOC. Take 10 seconds and this about it, you're better than this.

I could elaborate, but I don't have the time for that.

It was a rhetorical device and blanket statement to signify the more pressing areas for $3b to be spent in New York City right now.

The Subway, NYCHA, public education, the homeless crisis, etc., etc., etc.

Reactions: Darkauron

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Both! I'm a total ****ing hypocrite!

But at least you're an honest hypocrite.

And that's ultimately my point regarding, "do optics matter".

Until enough people are REALLY mad enough about this & say "screw AMZN", AMZN will do as it wishes.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
It was a rhetorical device and blanket statement to signify the more pressing areas for $3b to be spent in New York City right now.

The Subway, NYCHA, public education, the homeless crisis, etc., etc., etc.

There.

Is.

No.

$3B.

I apologize for sounding snarky, but your post is the equivalent to 10,000 children's nails on a chalkboard to a finance person.

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
But at least you're an honest hypocrite.

And that's ultimately my point regarding, "do optics matter".

Until enough people are REALLY mad enough about this & say "screw AMZN", AMZN will do as it wishes.

We're in a very unique situation with Amazon.

They have some very, VERY questionable business practices and ethical quandaries, however, there is no disputing just how much easier they make the life of their average customer who may be completely insulated from the horror show behind the scenes.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
i'm also genuinely curious as to how many of those good jobs in LIC were going to go to people who lived in that community their entire lives and not transplants with masters in computer science degrees from the midwest and asia.

That was one of the main criticisms I read, too. This is/was one of Amazon's "headquarters". So many of them were going to be people moved from other Amazon outposts and poached from the other tech giants in the area. I think it was far more likely to be a "destination" job than anything else. BG was right that that amount of employees would help all the local businesses by osmosis, though.

Also, there's more "high paying tech jobs" in NYC than there are people to fill them. I'm pretty regularly contacted by recruiters for jobs way above my expertise level.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Honesty time:

Question for:

Marty Owns, None Shall Pass, DD, New Jersey, and anyone else taking part in this conversation.

1) Do you have a Prime Membership?

2) Do you buy online from AMZN?

If you're being honest, my guess is every one of you would answer "yes" to at least one of the above 2 questions.

So does this really matter to AMZN?

I do. And it is a personal moral quandary for me that I don't take likely. Allow me to explain.

Much like responsibly sourced clothing, hybrid cars, organic foods and other things that are objectively better for the world than their regular counterparts, it costs more money to do what you feel is right. Voting with your wallet is a great theory but far more expensive in practice. I literally couldn't afford to do the objectively right thing and survive, and I make a decent middle class living. So, you do have to pick your battles with these things.

Amazon has become so big in part because not only were you able to get things quickly, but usually cheaper as well. The best example I can think of off the top of my head: the hair product I use to tame my gorgeous locks costs $20 at the Walgreens right next door to my office. It is $10.50 on Amazon. I save money that isn't expendable by using them.

What's crazy about Amazon is that you cannot opt-out of Amazon. Read this article, seriously: https://gizmodo.com/i-tried-to-block-amazon-from-my-life-it-was-impossible-1830565336

tl,dr: So much of the internet we use is hosted on AWS. (To my knowledge, AWS is their biggest cash cow, but I can't confirm that).

That all said, while I use Amazon (Technically everyone with an internet connection does), still doesn't mean that I think they shouldn't pay taxes or get subsidies to build a headquarters.

It absolutely doesn't matter, in the long run, to Amazon. Never said it would.

Reactions: New Jersey

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I do. And it is a personal moral quandary for me that I don't take likely. Allow me to explain.

Much like responsibly sourced clothing, hybrid cars, organic foods and other things that are objectively better for the world than their regular counterparts, it costs more money to do what you feel is right. Voting with your wallet is a great theory but far more expensive in practice. I literally couldn't afford to do the objectively right thing and survive, and I make a decent middle class living. So, you do have to pick your battles with these things.

Amazon has become so big in part because not only were you able to get things quickly, but usually cheaper as well. The best example I can think of off the top of my head: the hair product I use to tame my gorgeous locks costs $20 at the Walgreens right next door to my office. It is $10.50 on Amazon. I save money that isn't expendable by using them.

What's crazy about Amazon is that you cannot opt-out of Amazon. Read this article, seriously: https://gizmodo.com/i-tried-to-block-amazon-from-my-life-it-was-impossible-1830565336

tl,dr: So much of the internet we use is hosted on AWS. (To my knowledge, AWS is their biggest cash cow, but I can't confirm that).

That all said, while I use Amazon (Technically everyone with an internet connection does), still doesn't mean that I think they shouldn't pay taxes or get subsidies to build a headquarters.

It absolutely doesn't matter, in the long run, to Amazon. Never said it would.

From that article "I need to shut down the Amazon Echo and Echo Dot in our house. "

I'm more amazed people actually have these things in so many rooms in their house. A cell phone has become more a necessity and every day tool that we all know can be easily listening anyway but I would never invite more ears into my house like that. Some people simply don't mind having all of their privacy eliminated from their lives.

Reactions: Darkauron

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
I'm more amazed people actually have these things in so many rooms in their house. A cell phone has become more a necessity and every day tool that we all know can be easily listening anyway but I would never invite more ears into my house like that. Some people simply don't mind having all of their privacy eliminated from their lives.

Every Black Friday, they typically offer a free Echo Dot with a more upmarket product. That's how they get you, and that's exactly why my home now has *three* of them.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Yup.

But guess what?

Jeff Bezos don't give a **** about optics.

Nor should he lmao

He owns a business he is going to do what gives his shareholders the highest returns. That is his main priority, not whatever NYC people may think of him now. No matter what, those people are still going to shop on Amazon. It is just too convenient

Reactions: BenedictGomez

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
I gotta check out the price of my hair gel on Amazon now lol

Edit: dude. I can get a pack of two for the price of one at walmart, whaaaaaaaaaaat

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Prime Video is a nice perk from Amazon, too. A few of my favorite shows are only available (Legally) through them. And they have the best collection of 70s Shaw Brothers Kung Fu movies (my favorite genre of movie).

I gotta check out the price of my hair gel on Amazon now lol

Edit: dude. I can get a pack of two for the price of one at walmart, whaaaaaaaaaaat

SERIOUSLY. All my toiletries are noticeably cheaper through them.

Wow, it's gettin' all metro up in here.

I regret nothing.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
One of my Amazon purchases last year :thumbu:

NJD.PNG

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
I buy my car's engine and cabin air filters exclusively through Amazon.

Always comes out to about $19 or $20 for both when the dealer wants to gouge you $35 for each. I don't even want to think about how much money Amazon has saved me in basic auto maintenance. Probably pays for my Prime membership.

My last "fun" Amazon steal was all eight Harry Potter movies on Blu-ray for $27-something ($99.99 list price) as part of a Black Friday flash deal, tax included.

Last edited:

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
My last seven Amazon purchases:

Scarf for a Christmas gift, Shenmue I and II for PS4, screen protectors for my mom's new iPad, Oakley sunglasses, screen protectors for my dad's iPhone, NOCO battery corrosion inhibitor, LED headlight bulbs.

Where else do you get a good price on such a diverse array of bullshit?

f*** you, Jeff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad