OT: The Thread About Nothing CCVI: Sitting in the blind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Question for the NJ parents here.

My wife is a teacher, and whenever there's a snowfall the kids are not allowed outside for recess. This is 100% different from when I was a kid, but, whatever......

Today, however, after that massive 3/4 of 1 inch snowfall we had, the kids were not allowed to go outside and play for recess.

My question is, is this actually a thing now where you cant play outside with ANY snow, or is my wife's school bat**** insane?

EDIT: This school is in western Hunterdon County, BTW.

If it's a part of the Clinton Township School District than it's for sure bat shit insane.

They're the same idiots who built the brand new middle school next to the Amerigas propane facility. If that thing blows the entire school is gone, along with everyone in it lol

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
If it's a part of the Clinton Township School District than it's for sure bat **** insane.

That's the school district I grew-up in.

My two fondest recess activities:

1) January/February we'd play football in the snow. We'd pretend it was the NFL playoffs, and I mean a solid FOOT of snow, full contact (not kidding).

2) Warmer months we'd play Smear the Queer against the side of the school with either a tennis ball or a (preferably) racquetball.

Apparently, from what I hear there's pretty much 0 chance either of those games are allowed to be played in 2019.

Schools never let kids out in the snow even if it snows a little.

If true, that's so sad.

EDIT: Actually, "sad" isn't the word, it's pathetic.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey

1) January/February we'd play football in the snow. We'd pretend it was the NFL playoffs, and I mean a solid FOOT of snow, full contact (not kidding).

2) Warmer months we'd play Smear the Queer against the side of the school with either a tennis ball or a (preferably) racquetball.

Apparently, from what I hear there's pretty much 0 chance either of those games are allowed to be played in 2019.

If true, that's so sad.

Yeah it is. Most of the time a lot of kids will just sit around on a phone anyway too. Sucks.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ

If true, that's so sad.

Same here, they actually don't even do recess really anymore in the middle school, at least not when I was there.

Some people's parents complained about not having other activities for their nerd kids so we did some other weird thing where we could go in the gym or do like crafts for 15 minutes after lunch. I was so pissed, all I wanted to do was go outside.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Some people's parents complained about not having other activities for their nerd kids

Here's the absolute #1 thing I've learned from having a teacher wife.

COMPLAIN THE **** out of whatever you think is wrong.

Honest to god, probably 80% of the time (perhaps even more, not kidding) the public school just backs down & gives you WHATEVER you want because they wish to avoid confrontation and/or a lawsuit. I've seen multiple instances whereby ONE (literally) parent changes an entire school's curriculum against the general wishes of hundreds of kid's parents simply by threatening to sue.

Whereas a private school will say go **** yourself, a public school will give into the 5% of parents who complain, against the wishes of 95% of parents who disagree but didnt complain.

SOURCE: My either dating or being married to a NJ public school teacher for 14 years.

Reactions: Davegarri

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
In 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th grade we played football at recess every single day...then came home and went outside to play street football until it got dark every single day. You haven't lived until you've played street football on a one way street with two sides of parked cars on a narrow city street :)

Reactions: Davegarri

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
In 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th grade we played football at recess every single day...then came home and went outside to play street football until it got dark every single day. You haven't lived until you've played street football on a one way street with two sides of parked cars on a narrow city street :)

We would play street football at school and street hockey after. We were lucky to have a big, open paved and fenced in area to play hockey. Sometimes there would be a big football game going on, though, so we'd have to set up in the street. Every time a car came by we'd have to move everything to the curb and move it all back after the car passed. You definitely don't see that anymore.

Reactions: Aethon

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
We would play street football at school and street hockey after. We were lucky to have a big, open paved and fenced in area to play hockey. Sometimes there would be a big football game going on, though, so we'd have to set up in the street. Every time a car came by we'd have to move everything to the curb and move it all back after the car passed. You definitely don't see that anymore.

same here, we were constantly outside either playing street hockey of football…….cell phones and internet didnt exist

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

I love playing sports in the street...we played football mostly but baseball and street hockey too.

Wen I came home to New Jersey after living in Boston for a while and saw the kids playing outside my childhood home... playing between the exact same electrical poles/ street lights that I used to play... I ran outside and asked if I could play :) . Steady QB for both sides was the designated spot a kid that was too big lol.

I love playing street hockey and street football still today. I use to join the kids playing street hockey where I live now... parents loved it because they knew me and saw it as adult supervision...they all grew up and left for school and whatnot since but every once in a while I'll put on my gloves, old rollerblades and go outside for a few minutes...just to see who might join me. Sometimes during holidays when people are back home we'll pass a ball around for a while. Doesn't happen often enough though.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
f*** it, if I were a teacher I wouldn't let my kids play in the snow at recess. You know half of them aren't showing up with snow gear, so they'll be complaining about wet shoes and socks for the next 4 hours. There's always one Lil' Cy Young throwing icy fastballs at the other kids' faces. Save myself the trouble, put on a Disney movie and chill for an hour.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
**** it, if I were a teacher I wouldn't let my kids play in the snow at recess. You know half of them aren't showing up with snow gear, so they'll be complaining about wet shoes and socks for the next 4 hours. There's always one Lil' Cy Young throwing icy fastballs at the other kids' faces. Save myself the trouble, put on a Disney movie and chill for an hour.

Funny you mention that, my wife said she's shocked how some parents send their kids to school in the winter, completely unprepared for the elements.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Funny you mention that, my wife said she's shocked how some parents send their kids to school in the winter, completely unprepared for the elements.

Put the kids out there and let them learn for themselves that they should probably be dressed better since their parents are useless (assuming these aren't really little kids and are like 10+ years old).

Reactions: BenedictGomez

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Put the kids out there and let them learn for themselves that they should probably be dressed better since their parents are useless (assuming these aren't really little kids and are like 10+ years old).

That would require personal responsibility.

New Jersey isn't big on "taking care of yourself", New Jersey is big on, "we'll decide everything for you".

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
It was a good crowd today considering the wuss of a governor put out a state of an emergency ridiculously early when there wasn't even a drop of snow or rain to or from the game.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
It was a good crowd today considering the wuss of a governor put out a state of an emergency ridiculously early when there wasn't even a drop of snow or rain to or from the game.

It was obvious yesterday that nothing would start until 6 at the earliest

If anyone stayed home only because of the snow they are a wuss or an idiot.

Now, they may have stayed home for acceptable reasons such as a bad hockey club or prior engagements .

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Well when you hear 'state of emergency' declared after noon you think the roads are going to be shut down or there's going to be massive traffic at the very least, snow or no snow. Yeah I didn't figure the weather would be bad during gametime but with my luck lately I would have gone and the snow would have started earlier and more severe than predicted :P

Of course if the team was ten points better I'd have just gone anyway instead of selling the tickets a couple days ago.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Well when you hear 'state of emergency' declared after noon you think the roads are going to be shut down or there's going to be massive traffic at the very least, snow or no snow. Yeah I didn't figure the weather would be bad during gametime but with my luck lately I would have gone and the snow would have started earlier and more severe than predicted :P

Of course if the team was ten points better I'd have just gone anyway instead of selling the tickets a couple days ago.

Roads were not shut down, business as usual all day.

The Gov whiffed on this one

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I just ordered Sushi and the guy recognized my number and he goes "is this Jim? Why are you ordering delivery during a state of emergency, Jim?". I said "Extra wasbi please, Ken".

He laughed, I laughed and I am sitting here waiting for sushi.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Spent the last hour eating sushi and watching Guns n Roses live at the Ritz from 1988

Reactions: JK3

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Spent the last hour eating sushi and watching Guns n Roses live at the Ritz from 1988

That's a really good quality recording, haven't seen it before. I should have went to that show, I wish I got that version of Axl when I saw them. He spent half the time arguing with the audience and changing his spandex outfits, a total shit show lol.

Reactions: Aethon

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
I just ordered Sushi and the guy recognized my number and he goes "is this Jim? Why are you ordering delivery during a state of emergency, Jim?". I said "Extra wasbi please, Ken".

He laughed, I laughed and I am sitting here waiting for sushi.
What's the state of emergency standard tip rate these days? 40%? I'd probably do 50% if the base sushi price wasn't outlandish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad