Tribute The "This is not an OT thread this is just a tribute" OT Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010

So this has almost 200,000 views on Twitter in 48 hours. :laugh: This is at the arena in Kitimat, where I live. I don’t know the fellow who knocked himself out here, but I recognize other folks in the video.

(Watch to the end, you can’t make this up…what a bizarre occurrence)

Needs more plaid and trucker hats.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
4wd can give people a false sense of security as well, because ice doesn't give a shit about 4wd.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Problems with snow driving are 5% poor tires and 95% people just having absolutely no clue how to drive in the snow.

Also, if you live in Canada and don't own a 4WD/AWD car, you're kind of dumb.
I'd argue people assuming AWD will save them without winter tires is the biggest problem given that so many cars have AWD now. Other than getting out of your driveway you're better off with just the winter tires. And a lot of people never bother looking at the wear level of their tires until they are hydroplaning on rainy days and realize something's amiss.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
People over estimate their skills in the snow. Have to account for where you live. No point in having a sedan if you live in PoCo Westwood Plateau area for example. If you don’t need to go out don’t. WFH. Plus we all had plenty of warning that snow was forecasted.

Inexcusable for the cities to not have plowed and salted the streets before the afternoon rush hour.

The snow mostly picked up as rush hour kicked in. By the time there was any snow to plow, the plows were stuck in the same traffic as everyone else.

It was a weird situation in general. The forecast said it wouldn't really get going in earnest until later in the evening, so folks drove in, and then it came early and started sticking on the roads basically right as rush hour picked up. It'd been hovering around zero, so the roads got washed off by the melt, and then the temperature dropped off quite rapidly, which is like the worst possible conditions for driving.

AWD and winters and all that can only help so much - unless you somehow mandated studded tires it was probably going to be a shitshow no matter what.

Reactions: M2Beezy

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I'd argue people assuming AWD will save them without winter tires is the biggest problem given that so many cars have AWD now. Other than getting out of your driveway you're better off with just the winter tires. And a lot of people never bother looking at the wear level of their tires until they are hydroplaning on rainy days and realize something's amiss.

Also that not all AWD systems work in the same way, or are intended to provide the same performance. Once it gets icy out, a lot of AWD systems really just provide an extra spinning tire, along with enough confidence to get in even more trouble.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Also that not all AWD systems work in the same way, or are intended to provide the same performance. Once it gets icy out, a lot of AWD systems really just provide an extra spinning tire, along with enough confidence to get in even more trouble.
AWD vehicles are explicitly marketed to impart this sort of confidence. Ads with a compact SUV with stock all-season radials pulling up at the edge of a jagged precipice as the voiceover says, "Conquer the great outdoors," or something.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Let's be realistic here, it's a combination of procrastination/annoyance/apathy. First you actually need to have snow tires, which today are going to cost over $1000. Then you need to schedule to bring them in, spending a few hours getting it done, all while paying more money. And then you're going to have to do it all over again in the spring to change back. Finally there's also the question of storage.

When most years in Vancouver it's not even going to snow, unless you're actively going up the mountains it's kind of hard to justify snow tires. And if some snow does hit the forecast, good look getting an appointment. From what I recall last time I did it try to book an appointment to get your tires changed now and you're probably looking at a wait list of a few weeks.

It's one thing if it was a fact of life like most of the rest of Canada but Vancouver it's just a huge pain, sucks if people get stuck driving in the snow when they're not prepared for it but I don't really see what you can do about it. Don't look at me though I grew up in Northern BC, driving in snow is something we did for fun as teenagers. I'd second what someone else said the importance of taking a kid learning to drive up to an empty parking lot with snow and letting them have some fun.

Reactions: M2Beezy

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Let's be realistic here, it's a combination of procrastination/annoyance/apathy. First you actually need to have snow tires, which today are going to cost over $1000. Then you need to schedule to bring them in, spending a few hours getting it done, all while paying more money. And then you're going to have to do it all over again in the spring to change back. Finally there's also the question of storage.

When most years in Vancouver it's not even going to snow, unless you're actively going up the mountains it's kind of hard to justify snow tires. And if some snow does hit the forecast, good look getting an appointment. From what I recall last time I did it try to book an appointment to get your tires changed now and you're probably looking at a wait list of a few weeks.

It's one thing if it was a fact of life like most of the rest of Canada but Vancouver it's just a huge pain, sucks if people get stuck driving in the snow when they're not prepared for it but I don't really see what you can do about it. Don't look at me though I grew up in Northern BC, driving in snow is something we did for fun as teenagers. I'd second what someone else said the importance of taking a kid learning to drive up to an empty parking lot with snow and letting them have some fun.

I think that is a lack of people understanding in the first place. Winter tires are not just for the snow and ice on the roads. The compound the tire is made of is for the temperature drop.

Your summer/allseason tires will last longer from both less use and not being used in the colder temperature the tire isn't made for.

This isn't to even mention the actual safety portion of it.

I mean I am not riding my motorcycle right now that is insured all year round, your car should be the same.

Reactions: Orr4Norris

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Coquitlam minor hockey racism ^
Thanks for sharing that Peen. Pretty disturbing stuff. Those parents should be outed for that shit, absolutely unacceptable poison in our society performing such racism against anyone, let a lone a teenager

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Thanks for sharing that Peen. Pretty disturbing stuff. Those parents should be outed for that shit, absolutely unacceptable poison in our society performing such racism against anyone, let a lone a teenager

Yeah, I read that yesterday - there's so many disappointing and horrifying failures at so many levels in this story. :( We have so far to go.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Never understood the hype.
Watched it in 2020 & was even more confused that it got like 4 sequels.
Hope you enjoy though.

You have to see it in a theater with the 3D. I hate most 3D, but this was a movie that immersed viewers in a world, and was unlike any other movie experience I have ever been too. The story and film is simple and nothing special, but everything else was amazing.

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
You have to see it in a theater with the 3D. I hate most 3D, but this was a movie that immersed viewers in a world, and was unlike any other movie experience I have ever been too. The story and film is simple and nothing special, but everything else was amazing.
Yeah, Movie tickets are already too expensive.

So if the best part of the movie & the best way to experience it is by paying even more money… I’m good.

Reactions: racerjoe

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Man, I got COVID twice this year. Sucked balls, but got through it fairly fine. Then I caught this bug that's going around now, and I can barely go to the gym or walk multiple flights of stairs without feeling completely exhausted. I'm still coughing phlegm.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Man, I got COVID twice this year. Sucked balls, but got through it fairly fine. Then I caught this bug that's going around now, and I can barely go to the gym or walk multiple flights of stairs without feeling completely exhausted. I'm still coughing phlegm.
I tried to warn people the flu that was going around the Southern Hemisphere this winter was bad.

It straight up smoked me and my kids.

My son got auto immune symptoms in his legs. I checked on google and that was happening in kids with swine flu… I don’t want any controversial talk like with covid… but I honestly think it is a type of H1n1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig