The Things Oiler Management Did That Got You Mad

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
safe to say the MacT era will go down as the worst era in Franchise history...
even Tambo's teams weren't as poor...amazingly

I guess that MBA from Queens couldn't help him in the GM's role afterall

^we were all in awe of that weren't we? "ooooo, MacT just got his MBA !! he MUST be a pretty smart guy !" how that made him qualified to be an NHL GM we are still wondering.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
The entire 2014 draft (minus LD). Then not drafting Vladdy hockey instead to get a CHL back up

Sucking off schultz and alienating Petry, then trading Petry

Not signing a FA 2c when both Roy and Riberio were available. Roberio had a career year. Roy came in when the Oilers season was already a tire fire. And suprise! did good

Treating Marincin like garbage

Not trading for Boychuk

Trading Smyth over 100K

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
The entire 2014 draft (minus LD). Then not drafting Vladdy hockey instead to get a CHL back up

Sucking off schultz and alienating Petry, then trading Petry

Not signing a FA 2c when both Roy and Riberio were available. Roberio had a career year. Roy came in when the Oilers season was already a tire fire. And suprise! did good

Treating Marincin like garbage

Not trading for Boychuk

Trading Smyth over 100K

We should have taken Bennett. It was stupid, classic really. Mact loved big C even though just about every scout had Bennett ahead. Now Bennett would be a much better fit on our team, he would be the perfect winger for McDavid.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
We should have taken Bennett. It was stupid, classic really. Mact loved big C even though just about every scout had Bennett ahead. Now Bennett would be a much better fit on our team, he would be the perfect winger for McDavid.

Meh, cant really say I agree. Not only did we not know wed get McDavid. LD is a better fit in our conference. Size + hockey IQ are two things he has over him

Sidebar: I think with LDs size, hockey sense and straight ahead speed, he could be a Hossa type winger. Much better fit than another smaller forward

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Meh, cant really say I agree. Not only did we not know wed get McDavid. LD is a better fit in our conference. Size + hockey IQ are two things he has over him

Sidebar: I think with LDs size, hockey sense and straight ahead speed, he could be a Hossa type winger. Much better fit than another smaller forward

We dont' need size. we need players that play with grit. LD is big but the guy is soft. I like him, but he is slow and soft. Bennett is the better fit for our conference.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
We dont' need size. we need players that play with grit. LD is big but the guy is soft. I like him, but he is slow and soft. Bennett is the better fit for our conference.

Disagree, need players that can retain the puck. LD is a beast. Kopitar is softer too but you cant get the puck from him

Yakupov plays a similar grit game to Bennett, running around hitting and playing physical. but he gets knocked off the puck easily by Getzlaf and Perry

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB

Don't agree with this at all.

You can't pick wingers when you are so lacking at centre. Yeah, we got McDavid now, but you couldn't predict that in advance obviously.

What would have happened if we were drafting 4th this year and didn't have Draisaitl. We would still be extremely weak at centre and overloaded on the wings with probably very few choices at centre. (Assuming Strome gets taken 3rd)

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007

Who really cares. Do you think that if we pick Bennett in 2014 we get McDavid in 2015? We'd be either better or worse if we get Bennett last year - depending on whether he ends up playing or not. Either way, that changes history and very likely we don't win the draft lottery for McDavid.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Don't agree with this at all.

You can't pick wingers when you are so lacking at centre. Yeah, we got McDavid now, but you couldn't predict that in advance obviously.

What would have happened if we were drafting 4th this year and didn't have Draisaitl. We would still be extremely weak at centre and overloaded on the wings with probably very few choices at centre. (Assuming Strome gets taken 3rd)

Yes, you can't predict, thats why you take the BPA. all the scouts had Bennett at 3, take the BPA!!!!!

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Who really cares. Do you think that if we pick Bennett in 2014 we get McDavid in 2015? We'd be either better or worse if we get Bennett last year - depending on whether he ends up playing or not. Either way, that changes history and very likely we don't win the draft lottery for McDavid.

Well of course. but it is still bad logic, either Bennett or Draisaitl was the better pick. You can't look at the logic in hindsight.

ps, this entire thread is wrong then. It is all about what oilers management did wrong, but if they changed anything then we don't get McDavid. So every one should stop complaining then lol

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
Well of course. but it is still bad logic, either Bennett or Draisaitl was the better pick. You can't look at the logic in hindsight.

I'm not arguing for Draisaitl > Bennett. In fact, Bennett was always the safer pick. I'm saying that in the present time, you can't say we missed a chance for McDavid to play with Bennett.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Yes, you can't predict, thats why you take the BPA. all the scouts had Bennett at 3, take the BPA!!!!!

I'm not a always take the BPA kind of guy. You need to have balance in your line up. Sitting with a bunch of wingers and defenseman who are 3-5 years away isn't going to help you win.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I'm not a always take the BPA kind of guy. You need to have balance in your line up. Sitting with a bunch of wingers and defenseman who are 3-5 years away isn't going to help you win.

Take the BPA always, you can always trade the pick, teams get burned so often not following that simple rule.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Take the BPA always, you can always trade the pick, teams get burned so often not following that simple rule.

Were talking about the difference between 3rd overall and 4th overall. I think the difference is pretty minor. The need for players capable of playing centre in the Oilers depth chart is greater. We aren't talking about going off the board and taking Jankowski or some weird move like that.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I could write pages of incompetent mistakes that this doozy of a cluster**** organization has pulled off in the past decade, but the hiring of Craig MacTavish as GM has to take the cake.

'Visually' it was one of the worst least professional signings in NHL history. A once terminated coach, re-hired by the same organization, run by the same regime of management as a General Manager? How can you spin that in a positive light? They didn't care that people saw it and I'm disappointed in how the media just overlooked it.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Not because they were bad....some of them were bad...some how they were handled;

Glencross-Horcoff-Hemsky
Petersen-Acton-Doan
Paajarvi-Brodziak-Hemsky
Hartikainen-Belanger-Brodziak
Omark, Rajala

Ference-Pronger
Nikitin-Petry
Hunt-Potter
Fedun

Scrivens/Dubnyk

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I do kinda wonder though if Broissoit and Nurse turn out to be better than expected if Mac T won't be remembered a little more fondly, ala Jay Feaster.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
proof that MacT was really lost and over matched at being an NHL GM is the good deal he made to fleece St Louis out of David Perron for a bust player and a draft choice, then turn around and shoot himself in the foot and trade Perron for a 1st round pick, and starting all over again! round and round we go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad