The Things Oiler Management Did That Got You Mad

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
the tier 1 and tier 2 thing really pissed me off. it was a slap to the face of fans who have followed this team through thick and thin. professional sports teams should not be ever saying that, especially one that hasn't done anything significant since the 80's.

^did you see the reactions of MacT and Howson when Lowe decided that the rest of the news conference was going to be all about him. it was priceless. it was like...."what's he doing?" and we've been saying that all along and ever since. :laugh:

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Just the whole unprofessional and outdated manner in which Lowe and the rest of the OBC ran the organization, while simultaneously thinking they were very professional and quite good at their jobs.

They never treated the executive positions as though they were important or even difficult. Just throw any ex-Oiler in there, no big deal.

BTW, Lowe is a downgrade from Laforge (who was good at his job), but at least that won't affect the on-ice product (or shouldn't). The new arena will do Lowe's job for him, so he won't have to actually perform for at least 5 or 6 years.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
I think we all have had enough of thinking or talking about Oilers management. I want to put that in the past and move on.

Yes, I agree. You can't change past so don't live in it.

The only good thing about the bad past is that hoepfully management can learn from it and not repeat the mistakes. That's a tall order but at least we got rid of Lowe and MacT as primary decision makers.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Im not angered by anything MacT said. That's just words, although together they show how naive he was at first.

For me its just Eakins. That's his epic screwup. Everything else is just minor stuff that I would expect from anyone. Moves like Grebs were ultimately harmless. His long term deals were winners.

I dont feel knowledgeable enough to comment on the Petry situation. Im not a big fan of Petry's though. Ill say it was likely mishandled but not by a lot

Kinibo

Apr 11, 2013
True. It's just unfortunate some people can't be more professional. But that's what happens in these circumstances, I guess. So be it. We got McDavid. Deal with it.

I expect it from the fans. It disappoints me more when it's the media doing it. I would like to expect a more reasoned and less biased viewpoint from the people who get paid to supposedly understand the big picture.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I expect it from the fans. It disappoints me more when it's the media doing it. I would like to expect a more reasoned and less biased viewpoint from the people who get paid to supposedly understand the big picture.

The Toronto based media I thought were incredibly unprofessional. You expect better from media professionals, and it's disappointing to see.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I was genuinely pissed off when Tambi failed to get Bishop. I was generally sympathetic of him until that moment. I didn't think that Bishop was a lock to be as good as he has been but I knew he had the potential, and that the best thing we could do at that time was bring in young blue chip talent like Bishop to challenge Dubnyk.

Instead Ottawa traded him in their own division. There's zero chance we put in a respectable offer. Zero

AJGass4

Aug 19, 2011
Eakins for me.

That whole 1.5 years of watching this team look like a *** disaster just about did me in.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
Im not angered by anything MacT said. That's just words, although together they show how naive he was at first.

For me its just Eakins. That's his epic screwup. Everything else is just minor stuff that I would expect from anyone. Moves like Grebs were ultimately harmless. His long term deals were winners.

I dont feel knowledgeable enough to comment on the Petry situation. Im not a big fan of Petry's though. Ill say it was likely mishandled but not by a lot

^yup, but who knew Eakins was a bad move at the time? i got a bigger kick out of what MacT said regarding the assistants at the time, who were Smith and Bucky, saying that Eakins was free to hire his own assistant coaches if he wanted, but MacT believed that the "right people" were already in place....unbelievable!!!

MacT had a nasty habit of telling fans the exact opposite of what they were seeing, and i found that to be extremely arrogant and annoying!

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
The Toronto based media I thought were incredibly unprofessional. You expect better from media professionals, and it's disappointing to see.

^couldn't agree more! i know they for the most part are Leaf fans and were extremely heartbroken to not get specifically McDavid, and are angry at the Oilers for getting the player the eastern media didn't think we "deserved", and also having to endure yet another potential long rebuild, but the way they reacted was unprofessional and immature. i have lost any respect i had left for the biased Toronto media.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
1a)Hiring MacT as GM
1b)Eakins hiring
1c)Lowe press conferences
1d)MacT press conferences
1e)MacT not addressing anything
1f)MacT making the defence worse than Tambo's teams
1g)MacT making the goaltending situation far worse than Tambo's teams.
1h)Smyth trade
1i)Keeping Draisaitl in the NHL beyond 9 games. Then sending him down after the worlds!!!
1j)Drafting MAP over Parise when everybody and their hamster chanted Parise!!
1k)Drafting outise of the 1st round
2)Horcoff contract
3)Krueger firing
4)Trading Brods + a 6th for a 4th & 5th
5)Letting Glenx walk despite him wanting to remain an Oiler
6)Handling of Souray
7)Handling of Comrie
8)Moreau contract
9)Pisani contract
10)Nylander attempt
11)Heatly attempt
12)Clarkson attempt
The list goes on and on!

Thank **** for Nicholson being here and real change has begun!

Last edited:

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Lots to choose from but the real kicker was firing a rookie coach who in a shortened season without a training camp or easy games against the eastern conference put a rebuilding team within striking distance of the playoffs.

... and then we replaced that guy with Eakins.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
safe to say the MacT era will go down as the worst era in Franchise history...
even Tambo's teams weren't as poor...amazingly

I guess that MBA from Queens couldn't help him in the GM's role afterall

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Trading Smyth was when I actually swore at Lowe
Losing Smid for lesser peices was a head scratcher
Drafting Moroz the Oilking had me fuming
Drafting Musil made me angry.. but then again I wanted Thrower with that pick :S
The Tkachev cluelessness

I actually didnt mind the hirings of MacT and Eakins at that time.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Ugh I know. I realized that like 30 seconds after making the change. Can you change your name more than once? It wouldn't let me fix it.

Pretty sure you can. I think you have to wait a certain period of time before name changes though.

1.) Firing Kruger
2.) Letting defence walk. Fistric, Fedun, Petry
3.) Dallas Eakins

I'm still ****ing pissed about that. Fistric was a capable defenceman who would absolutely light guys up with hits.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad