The Things Oiler Management Did That Got You Mad

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
Remember when they canned their twitter account guy....:laugh:.....I also liked when they canned the entire training staff because they wanted a fresh start..... I wonder if MacTs offer to let the jersey thrower drop the puck at the oilers next playoff game is still on the table?.... If it is I would like to see them bring in the guy that beat down the jersey thrower and re-enact one of these...

Last edited:

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
I do kinda wonder though if Broissoit and Nurse turn out to be better than expected if Mac T won't be remembered a little more fondly, ala Jay Feaster.

Until we remember he would have called out Broissoit publicly, and showed Nurse he had no faith in him with a one year contract.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
I always found it ironic how, when answering John's question in the MacT hiring press conference, Lowe called it a "fair question" and then proceeded to cry in outrage that anyone dare insult him

DipsyMcDoodles

Apr 6, 2014
Edmonton
proof that MacT was really lost and over matched at being an NHL GM is the good deal he made to fleece St Louis out of David Perron for a bust player and a draft choice, then turn around and shoot himself in the foot and trade Perron for a 1st round pick, and starting all over again! round and round we go.

To be fair that first pick ended up being mid-first and especially this year that holds a considerate amount of value.

Ogopogo*

There are sooooo many so I'll pick just one....blowing a chance to get Ben Bishop

Oilers10

I hate Dallas Eakins
Dec 4, 2004
OH buddy I could go on for days but to make it short its gotta be the hiring of Eakins for me.

- Hiring Eakins over Kruger who showed improvement and for no apparent reason but to look like MacT was a game changer
- Ignoring Nelson who was right in the same organization
- Bringing in all of Eaksin AHL Marlie buddies in coaches and players ie. Acton, Acton, Aulie, Scrivens, Hamilton etc etc
- Stagnating prospects and still being too thick skulled to fire Eakins.
- Eakins saying that we are not an offensive team and that it is a misconception.
- Saying Eakins was a 10 year man and then firing him a week later.

Worst of all I hate managements arrogance. If they admitted they made mistakes I'd be less pissed off but when I hear MacT saying things like how he inherited a team on the decline and now he has a team ready for growth potential it really pisses me off. MacT came when we were 24th place and on the way up and his teams finished 28th both years and were on the decline.

psowrc

Feb 21, 2015
They woke up in the morning and thought they had the answer to fixing the team. Man, that pissed me off.

psowrc

Feb 21, 2015
Not because they were bad....some of them were bad...some how they were handled;

Glencross-Horcoff-Hemsky
Petersen-Acton-Doan
Paajarvi-Brodziak-Hemsky
Hartikainen-Belanger-Brodziak
Omark, Rajala

Ference-Pronger
Nikitin-Petry
Hunt-Potter
Fedun

Scrivens/Dubnyk

Take away Dubnyk, which AHL team have you identified with this roster?
Or were you saying this was the best bet for the next lottery.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
To be fair that first pick ended up being mid-first and especially this year that holds a considerate amount of value.

^maybe, but MacT made the Oilers perhaps have to use that pick to start the process of looking for an established player all over again by trading Perron for it. and he got lucky because the Blues got bounced early and the pick was kept high.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
OH buddy I could go on for days but to make it short its gotta be the hiring of Eakins for me.

- Hiring Eakins over Kruger who showed improvement and for no apparent reason but to look like MacT was a game changer
- Ignoring Nelson who was right in the same organization
- Bringing in all of Eaksin AHL Marlie buddies in coaches and players ie. Acton, Acton, Aulie, Scrivens, Hamilton etc etc
- Stagnating prospects and still being too thick skulled to fire Eakins.
- Eakins saying that we are not an offensive team and that it is a misconception.
- Saying Eakins was a 10 year man and then firing him a week later.

Worst of all I hate managements arrogance. If they admitted they made mistakes I'd be less pissed off but when I hear MacT saying things like how he inherited a team on the decline and now he has a team ready for growth potential it really pisses me off. MacT came when we were 24th place and on the way up and his teams finished 28th both years and were on the decline.

and incredibly, MacT kept saying even after Eakins was fired that he STILL thought he was the right guy!! same with assistants Smith and Bucky, MacT thought they had the right people in place with those two....unbelievable!! :shakehead

HotToddy75

Jun 13, 2011
I am more convinced that ever that Katz directed the management group to tank for several years in order to build up the assets to have another dynasty like the 80's.

I think the plan was to pull out of the tank in 13/14, but they underestimated how decimated the talent was, especially defense and goaltending. By 14/15 MacT was trying harder to improve, but with McDavid in range, they chose to tank one last year. They succeeded wildly.

We will look back on 2010 and 2015 and see that management was trying to groom individual players to be part of the new core, while also leaving enough holes in the line-up to tank successfully.

Examples of intentional moves to weaken the team:
- no 3rd line c to start this year
- running two back ups as a starting tandem
- shipping out Gagner without bringing a C back
- not trying to use offer sheets
- playing Schultz big minutes
- coaching carousel
- ditching Kreuger when he had success
- passing on Bishop and Schneider
- All of Tambelini's trades. They were awful.

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
The most damning thing to me was the start of the MacT era.

He STRONGLY defended Krueger and said that "Coaching is not the problem here".

A month later he fires him via Skype.

How unprofessional.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad