Speculation: The Team Presidency Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 290103

What’s the gist of the Lebrun article and the Kruger-van headline connection?

There was no connection, was there? I thought that article was from a long time ago when Van was looking for a coach.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Lombardi is also a Paisano...hopefully that means nothing but i think it might.
But is he a Sicilian? I’d post that Goodfellas scene where Tommy thinks he’s getting mad & Henry Hill explains why him and Jimmy can’t be ‘made’. But it’s NSFW.:sarcasm:

Hope they don’t just hire a tired retread but don’t want a rookie either. Enough on the job training for these important executive positions.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
After 6 years invested in premier league football I would be a little bit concerned about how up to date Kruger is with the NHL. And how long it would take for him to get accustomed to the modern game, intricacies, rules, players, prospects etc

Still a good option to add to the list for president, but that list of actually viable options is not very long.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I think that Ralph Kruger would be the perfect President for the Canucks...Smart, progressive thinker..a good 'communicator'...A proper sports executive...You just have to wonder though, how many other "football" teams are going to start throwing offer$ his way.

The other names being thrown around here for President are utterly depressing...Hopefully Aqualini has reached out.

Reactions: vancityluongo

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Can someone explain what the obsession with Krueger is? He's been with an EPL team for the past several years. Prior to that he was a solid coach, getting a good tournament out of the NHL U23's, and getting a decent season out of an awful Oilers team, but what has he done that makes people think he would be successful in an NHL front office?

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Either Kruger or Lombardi would be a big win for the front office.

But I've always maintained that the #1 issue is Aquilini and until he quarantines himself I can't see a top shelf candidate coming here.

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
I can't help but wonder how Tkachuk having a massive playoffs (if you want to go way out there ... winning the Conn Smythe, for example) would impact the Benning process.
If it makes more obvious what was already an obvious mistake from the moment he drafted Juolevi, I'm all for it.

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006
A logical and fair take.

The discussion resolves itself around 'build' and 'augment'. A builder is often associated with drafting and developing a team from the ground up. Gillis was never here to do that. However, can it not be said that a good augmenter is the same thing as a good builder? After all, it's the layers added to the core the scouts have drafted that ultimately decides a GM's key impact. In that way, they are synonymous terms.

One thing: I too would like to shoot for the ideal GM, but the reality is that this option doesn't exist. Yzerman would be the closest alternative and even he gets criticized for his 1st round drafting. Often, the ideal is just an idea, nothing more.

We should know what it means to see flaws in a good GM, wish for a replacement, only to see a more flawed candidate take over. That's why I often prefer GMs on their 2nd+ tenure, like some of the more proven coaches. In that way, you know what you're getting. Further, said GM knows what he needs to improve upon from his last stint. These are good things.

But you never know, Aquilini may just side step Benning to promote Weisbrod. So the change everyone is clamouring for may be another lesson Canucks fans have to endure.

I never understood this "but ..but..he didn't BUILD it!!!" argument.

First off, every single GM inherits pieces that previous management left behind.

Second, Gillis made the decision to retain the Sedins when he came here and he was responsible for the contracts of pretty much every single player on the 2011 team that he built. He deserves credit for making the decision to: A)retain the players, and B) to sign them on great value contracts.

Third, any GM can come in, shit the bed, and get gifted high draft picks and draft blue chip prospects. Who cares? Any moron can do that as demonstrated by benning.

What's infinitely harder is actually turning a middling team into a contender.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I'm still holding out hope for Lombardi. Also, would be nice if Tampa were eliminated early. Yzerman isn't going to Detroit while Tampa is still in a playoff run, so the sooner they're out the sooner we get clarity on if Holland becomes available or not.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I want someone hired before the middle of June.

Benning knowing his future is on the line this season scares me for the potential moves that could be upcoming. Offers Hughes for Hall, signs Myers, Skinner to seven year deals.

A president in place who will likely be here for the next five years will not want to have contracts like that..

Reactions: y2kcanucks

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Ralph Krueger left his position at South Hampton, I bet he will get a call from the Canucks as he was a target previously.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I can't help but wonder how Tkachuk having a massive playoffs (if you want to go way out there ... winning the Conn Smythe, for example) would impact the Benning process.

If the owners are in fact doing reference checks with other hockey minds, they should really just do a full case study of the 2015-16 deadline, draft, and offseason. The 2016 draft alone should be a fireable offence.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Krueger in a recent interview with Lebrun..
“If you spoke about hockey with me now, I would probably tend more to one day take the experiences of being a chairman/president of a Premier League team and possibly back into the game of hockey or other sports. The one thing I’ve learned, it’s not really sport-relevant. But it’s really clear hockey still has a special place in my heart.”

"Although Krueger came under criticism following all the recent managerial change, he was successful in steering the club through the upheaval that followed the departure in 2014 of both Nicola Cortese, the former executive chairman, and Mauricio Pochettino. Liebherr said that Krueger “embodied The Southampton Way” and "laid the foundations for the Saints to be a sustainable team that put pressure on the top sides in the Premier League”...The London Telegraph.

Krueger also wrote a book.. The book he authored (in German, also translated into French), called Teamlife - Beyond Setbacks to Success, was devoted to handling problems in life, and became a bestseller.

He has had experience at the highest levels of sports administration..As an executive,I believe that he would present a solid plan/vision for the Canucks moving forward.

When you think about it..He's probably more in line with Gillis (a hockey lawyer),than your usual old hockey retread.

Last edited:

member 290103

Can someone explain what the obsession with Krueger is? He's been with an EPL team for the past several years. Prior to that he was a solid coach, getting a good tournament out of the NHL U23's, and getting a decent season out of an awful Oilers team, but what has he done that makes people think he would be successful in an NHL front office?

Basically we all have an obsession for someone to be running the show that is not Benning.

Krueger is supposed to be a progressive, smart executive and he’s got hockey experience.

Lombardi scares me a bit as being a guy cut from the Benning and Sutter cloth of ignoring analytics and looking for meat and potatoes, rugged character guys first and foremost.

Correct me if I’m wron on Lombardi, I know he made some great moves as the Kings GM that resulted in their cups.

Reactions: xtra

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
If I remember correctly, Kruger also stated he would want to come back in a GM capacity.

I'm sure he would have interest.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Basically we all have an obsession for someone to be running the show that is not Benning.

Krueger is supposed to be a progressive, smart executive and he’s got hockey experience.

Lombardi scares me a bit as being a guy cut from the Benning and Sutter cloth of ignoring analytics and looking for meat and potatoes, rugged character guys first and foremost.

Correct me if I’m wron on Lombardi, I know he made some great moves as the Kings GM that resulted in their cups.
Lombardi made bold trades with LA to bring in key pieces for their cup runs. Not just sending 3rd round picks for Higgins and Lapps. He sent Simmonds and Schenn (5th pick OA) to get Richards. Johnson and a 2012 first to get Carter. Acquired Gaborik in 2014 from NYR. He’s a better GM in that regard. But he pushed all in back in 2015 and that killed LA. McKeown, 2015 & 2016 first, Jones, Miller to get 100 or so games from Lucic and Sekeras. And gave out huge deals to Brown and Gabby to reward them. Gillis did a similar thing with Burrows and Higgins at lesser money when he extended them. Burrows got his deal in sept 2012 a year before his prior deal expired. Higgins got his deal in April 2013 just before those playoffs began.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Lombardi made bold trades with LA to bring in key pieces for their cup runs. Not just sending 3rd round picks for Higgins and Lapps. He sent Simmonds and Schenn (5th pick OA) to get Richards. Johnson and a 2012 first to get Carter. Acquired Gaborik in 2014 from NYR. He’s a better GM in that regard. But he pushed all in back in 2015 and that killed LA. McKeown, 2015 & 2016 first, Jones, Miller to get 100 or so games from Lucic and Sekeras. And gave out huge deals to Brown and Gabby to reward them. Gillis did a similar thing with Burrows and Higgins at lesser money when he extended them. Burrows got his deal in sept 2012 a year before his prior deal expired. Higgins got his deal in April 2013 just before those playoffs began.

Pretty much what StreetHawk said. Lombardi isn't without his blunders, but he did what needed to be done to win the Cup, and he built 2 Cup winning teams. Yes he mortgaged the future a bit to do so, but every time a big name player was available you always heard about the Kings being in on that player. He made it work with the cap, and basically built that Kings team from the ground up.

On the flip side: why do people think Krueger is a progressive, smart executive? What has he done to make people think he's progressive? Genuinely curious because I don't know enough about him.

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
Pretty much what StreetHawk said. Lombardi isn't without his blunders, but he did what needed to be done to win the Cup, and he built 2 Cup winning teams. Yes he mortgaged the future a bit to do so, but every time a big name player was available you always heard about the Kings being in on that player. He made it work with the cap, and basically built that Kings team from the ground up.

On the flip side: why do people think Krueger is a progressive, smart executive? What has he done to make people think he's progressive? Genuinely curious because I don't know enough about him.

Southampton has identified amazing talents before other teams, developed them by playing these young players and selling them off for 300 million pounds. Their debts are gone and if they were named Liverpool or Arsenal they could have had a team that would rival all the top teams. Stripped annually of their talent because these players want to go to top teams.

Knowing your push for setting up a system to pull in as much young talent, loading the system and forcing this system to play the young talent. That seems like the type of leader we’d want. The bonus being he does need to sell off our prime talent in the end.

BPL is a far harder league to run than an NHL team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad