The Tampa Bay Lightning ranked the #1 franchise in all sports.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Here's the full article about it:

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/...ning-no-1-franchise-sports-ultimate-standings

Also here's a breakdown so people understand what they're actually ranking here.

The Lightning rank in the top 10 in six of our eight categories -- and in the top 25 in all eight.
Overall: 1
Title Track: T23
Ownership: 2
Coaching: 15
Players: 8
Fan Relations: 3
Affordability: 4
Stadium experience: 3
Bang for the buck: 4
Change from last year: +2

I love some of the responses in this thread. So HF. How dare the Lightning be good. How DARE they! :laugh:

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I have a few contacts there that never have anything bad to say at all. Just another reason they're not having troubles re-signing their players.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I looked it up and the last time an NHL team was #1 in this ranking was the Buffalo Sabres in 2007. The Lightning were #3 and #2 in past years, and Carolina also was #2 at one point.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Tampa?? What have they done since winning in 2004?? Are they just trying to reword what defines a classy organization is? So I guess Detroit was nowhere to be found? If any team should at the top it's Detroit. Biggest fanbase in hockey and the loyalty knows no bounds both ways. And we had Lidstrom on the team for 20 yrs for christ sakes. The classiest most respected guy ever to play hockey. They call him the "The Perfect Human" even. This is why I hate ESPN. Yeah when they get it right( nominating a hockey team) they get it wrong.

LOL you may not like ESPN but wow I dunno about this argument.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
umm...that doesn't make any sense. at all. watching the recap video. 69 consecutive sell outs. that's good for the lightning for sure, but its pretty far off the league lead. the team is good on the ice and has a cup but that's better than Chicago? There are lots of teams that are very close in their communities.

So....I don't get it. Red Sox? Redskins? Dodgers? Seahawks? Spurs?

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Tampa?? What have they done since winning in 2004?? Are they just trying to reword what defines a classy organization is? So I guess Detroit was nowhere to be found? If any team should at the top it's Detroit. Biggest fanbase in hockey and the loyalty knows no bounds both ways. And we had Lidstrom on the team for 20 yrs for christ sakes. The classiest most respected guy ever to play hockey. They call him the "The Perfect Human" even. This is why I hate ESPN. Yeah when they get it right( nominating a hockey team) they get it wrong.

lol, who the **** calls Lidstrom the perfect human?

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Take anything that ESPN ranks/does/says with a HUGE grain of salt.

ESPN lost its sports credibility a long time ago. They are to sports what MTV was to music videos.

DeYarmond Edison

drinkingpinkrabbits
Apr 10, 2011
Bored in the USA
Tampa Bay fans dumping all over Lidstrom. Odd.

Anyways, this list makes sense. Must be nice to pay low prices and live in literal paradise. Also you don't have to deal with those mean opposing fans during the playoffs.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall

Anyways, this list makes sense. Must be nice to pay low prices and live in literal paradise. Also you don't have to deal with those mean opposing fans during the playoffs.

You wanna blame someone for that then blame the Detroit fan who started dumping all over Tampa and shoving Detroit down everybody's throats right after the OP.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
"In all of sports" -> ranks only north american teams/leagues/sports.

Anyway, not that I know much of NA organizations outside of hockey but it doesn't shock me that Tampa is up there. It's probably the franchise I respect the most in the league. Just really well run from top to bottom.

DeYarmond Edison

drinkingpinkrabbits
Apr 10, 2011
Bored in the USA
You wanna blame someone for that then blame the Detroit fan who started dumping all over Tampa and shoving Detroit down everybody's throats right after the OP.

Yes, because that poster failing to understand what the poll was about certainly warrants Lidstrom hatred. Didn't think anyone disliked the guy. Just odd is all.

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
It's very, very easy to see who didn't read one bit of this article before just fainting with the back of their hand over their forehead.

10986351756_2dfc6b0e4c_m.jpg

This a ranking of the best franchise from THE POINT OF A FAN.

Good ownership, low ticket prices, good fanbase and a good, competitive product. There is literally nothing to NOT like in TB from a FAN PERSPECTIVE.

It's also super funny to see people brag about paying double for a mediocre product, as if that's a reason to be happy?

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL

Literally only one Tampa Bay fan said anything about Lidstrom, and it was more about how silly the argument was than anything negative about him. The rest were all fans of other teams. :shakehead

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

Have you ever been to a Lightning game?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
And yet more people are willing to shell out the $300 to watch the weaker team... What does that say?

That hockey is more popular in Toronto than in Tampa? or in Canada in general. Doesn't have anything to do with fan experiance or mean that those tickets are worth it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad