The Tampa Bay Lightning ranked the #1 franchise in all sports.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Tampa?? What have they done since winning in 2004?? Are they just trying to reword what defines a classy organization is? So I guess Detroit was nowhere to be found? If any team should at the top it's Detroit. Biggest fanbase in hockey and the loyalty knows no bounds both ways. And we had Lidstrom on the team for 20 yrs for christ sakes. The classiest most respected guy ever to play hockey. They call him the "The Perfect Human" even. This is why I hate ESPN. Yeah when they get it right( nominating a hockey team) they get it wrong.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Tampa?? What have they done since winning in 2004?? Are they just trying to reword what defines a classy organization is? So I guess Detroit was nowhere to be found? If any team should at the top it's Detroit. Biggest fanbase in hockey and the loyalty knows no bounds both ways.

If you read the article it explains it.

The standings consider 25 criteria, including as ticket prices, recent on-field successes, and how owners & players show appreciation to their fans, a factor in which the Lightning ranked No. 1 out of 122 franchises.

This isn't some sort of "most historic franchise" poll. They do it every year.

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013
Detroit is far from having the biggest fanbase in hockey.That would be either the Habs or the Leafs.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Tampa?? What have they done since winning in 2004?? Are they just trying to reword what defines a classy organization is? So I guess Detroit was nowhere to be found? If any team should at the top it's Detroit. Biggest fanbase in hockey and the loyalty knows no bounds both ways. And we had Lidstrom on the team for 20 yrs for christ sakes. The classiest most respected guy ever to play hockey. They call him the "The Perfect Human" even. This is why I hate ESPN. Yeah when they get it right( nominating a hockey team) they get it wrong.

Maybe take a breath and look at what the categories the franchises were ranked on even are, hm?

ikyan

Apr 29, 2014
Kingston
Some of their criteria used were brutal. Low ticket prices should lower a team's ranking, not help it...

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
LOL hadn't even seen that yet but I'm not at all surprised 49ers are considered the worst sports organization at the moment.

Congrats to the Lightning.

A little less than 4 years ago Kaepernick was their starter and they were in the Super Bowl.

I guess it's a "most recent season" type of deal? The 49ers have sucked recently.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO

agreed, your favorite team is objectively the greatest to ever play in any sport, or really any aspect of human culture

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
A little less than 4 years ago Kaepernick was their starter and they were in the Super Bowl.

I guess it's a "most recent season" type of deal? The 49ers have sucked recently.

Based on their criteria, not only have they sucked recently but we can't stand our owner, our ticket prices are too high for what they're putting on the field, there is no sign of improvement, and so on and so on.

It does not surprise me at all that the Niners are in last. Just an awful time to be a fan of theirs.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009

You....think Detroit has the biggest fanbase?

Well. That's confusing.

(Spoiler: not even top 5)

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY

From what I can see, it's using a combination of on-field success, coherent team management, and organizational business to approximate a sort of "fan satisfaction power rankings."

Since the 49ers owner forced out the architects of the on-field success, making the team very bad in more recent history, it very much off-sets the fact that they were playing for a title in the past half decade.

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I agree with them on the 49ers ranking. That franchise is a disaster right now especially with fan relations. They used be a lot better in that regard.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I have no issue with that selection. Lightning seem like a smart, progressive organization.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
A testament to how great a job Jeff Vinik has been doing with the franchise. The Lightning were in shambles when he bought it and he has certainly revitalized everything. He said he would strive to make this a world class organization and he has done just that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad