The Tale of Steve Downie....

3Fs

Sep 22, 2005
Western Pa.
Steve Downie was never actually traded from the Flyers. He simply took the last few years to walk, skate, and swim to and from the Virgin Islands. By the way, they're now just known as "The Islands".

This made me laugh out loud in real life....

JayB

May 30, 2012
Downie once sent $1000 to a Nigerian scammer. He received his shere of the $3million inheritance two days later.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Geez Downie, it's just practice and it's the same team. Taking runs at your own stars is unwise.

Did you read the report about what happened at the time? I thought the same thing but then I read the part that went back the an article at the time. It was during a scrimmage and basically Downie hit him and Landy go pissed and went after him on the bench and Downie didnt go back at him. Later in the scrimmage, Landy went into a corner and took out Downie's legs from behind and it was bad enough that Downie sat out some of the scrimmage in some pain. Later Downie came back on the ice later and got into it more with him.

To me, it's a scrimmage, you're allowed to hit. The article made it seem like it wasnt that much of a hit because the guy barely even noticed it. I would say its a dick move if Downie leveled him in open ice or went after his head but if you cant take a hit without going after someone and then taking out their legs, youre kind of a punk.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Alright, that's a very different situation.

It's not surprising though for a guy like Downie. He's clearly an alpha male and as an NHL veteran it can't be easy to have to step onto the ice with a 20 year old kid that's ben handed the C.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
It's not surprising though for a guy like Downie. He's clearly an alpha male and as an NHL veteran it can't be easy to have to step onto the ice with a 20 year old kid that's ben handed the C.

Exactly. So many young players have been put in roles where they are entitled. I don't care how great of a leader Landeskog is , to give an inexperienced player that young the C is really a silly thing. The "C" is not something that you put on someone and then they follow you. The C is known among all players when they get into that lockerroom. If you try to maniuplate the room to make it easier for the Captain other players will see that as weakness its that simple.

Calderone

old time hockey
Oct 18, 2008
Philly Metro Area
Exactly. So many young players have been put in roles where they are entitled. I don't care how great of a leader Landeskog is , to give an inexperienced player that young the C is really a silly thing. The "C" is not something that you put on someone and then they follow you. The C is known among all players when they get into that lockerroom. If you try to maniuplate the room to make it easier for the Captain other players will see that as weakness its that simple.

This sounds just like another NHL team's situation with their "C" ... I cant quite remember which team... Hmmmm, let me think...

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Supposedly Landeskog was careless with his stick and tweaked Downey's recent surgically repaired knee. I would be pissed too. If this was truly the reason for the trade, then that is pretty pathetic.

dookie88

Aug 18, 2008
Germany
Supposedly Landeskog was careless with his stick and tweaked Downey's recent surgically repaired knee. I would be pissed too. If this was truly the reason for the trade, then that is pretty pathetic.

Agreed.
The Flyers would probably kill to have those kind of problems right now if those are the only problems around.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
Did you read the report about what happened at the time? I thought the same thing but then I read the part that went back the an article at the time. It was during a scrimmage and basically Downie hit him and Landy go pissed and went after him on the bench and Downie didnt go back at him. Later in the scrimmage, Landy went into a corner and took out Downie's legs from behind and it was bad enough that Downie sat out some of the scrimmage in some pain. Later Downie came back on the ice later and got into it more with him.

To me, it's a scrimmage, you're allowed to hit. The article made it seem like it wasnt that much of a hit because the guy barely even noticed it. I would say its a dick move if Downie leveled him in open ice or went after his head but if you cant take a hit without going after someone and then taking out their legs, youre kind of a punk.

Did you miss the part where Landeskog tripped Downie and Downie then drilled him?

I think this is all overblown. Fights and scrums happen in EVERY training camp. Downie may have been trying to push Landeskog around - sounds to me like Landeskog dealt with him.

That Colorado team looks as though they all get along great, and it didn't look as though they didn't like Downie on the ice. It may be that Downie didn't fit in, but I think it's a stretch to say this trade was the result of one nothing training camp scrum.

Muddy Wilbury

Flyers Fan in Ottawa
Apr 3, 2002
Ottawa, ON.
Avalanche head coach Patrick Roy, meanwhile, told the Denver Post that Downie didn’t do anything to get himself traded. It was Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren’s insistence – Roy said he called “five or six times†about Downie – that got the deal done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad