The Svechnikov Brothers

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Weren't you were Jan Mursak's biggest fan? Why are you talking about physical play? I can't compute!

I just figure if most fans here want Svechnikov, you know they will take Zadina. Not my preference as I haven't got to see much of Svechnikov, but I have seen enough of the older brother to leave him 100% out of the equation.

It's probably not fair to little Svech, but based on his skating I saw in the Olympics, based on big Svech's skating I've seen, and based on what's happened to big Svech since the conference finals last year ... I'm not at all sold on little Svech as a prospect.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
It's probably not fair to little Svech, but based on his skating I saw in the Olympics, based on big Svech's skating I've seen, and based on what's happened to big Svech since the conference finals last year ... I'm not at all sold on little Svech as a prospect.

You're not sold on an upcoming draftee because another prospect drafted 3 years ago isn't doing well? Yeah that is unfair >.<

skating is a valid concern though

Last edited:

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
You're not sold on an upcoming draftee because another prospect drafted 3 years ago isn't doing well? Yeah that is unfair >.<

skating is a valid concern though

His brother's skating is a major hold up.
His own skating was not dynamic in any way at the WJCs.

I'm a big fan of Russian hockey players. But I wasn't impressed with ASvech at the WJC at all.
He couldn't make space for himself.

Just like his bro at the AHL playoff level last year.

People say it's not fair to say that Quinn Hughes probably won't get bigger than 5'10 because his dad and uncle were 5'10.
Well, that's life. Genes matter.

Ingvar

Jan 16, 2016
Moscow
His brother's skating is a major hold up.
His own skating was not dynamic in any way at the WJCs.

I'm a big fan of Russian hockey players. But I wasn't impressed with ASvech at the WJC at all.
He couldn't make space for himself.

Just like his bro at the AHL playoff level last year.

People say it's not fair to say that Quinn Hughes probably won't get bigger than 5'10 because his dad and uncle were 5'10.
Well, that's life. Genes matter.

I don't know what you're watching but skating is not a concern for little Svechnikov.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Making observations strictly off intentional tournament is dangerous. That’s a small sample size.

He’s a way better prospect and player than his brother. How can Eric be so much better than Jared Staal? Genes can produce different things there, bud.

Andrei had the best PPG for a U17 season in the USHL ever last year, and this year his goal scoring is on pace with Stamkos and Tavares in their OHL draft season.

Those are facts. He’s one of the best winger prospects in years. He’s bigger, stronger, faster, better than his brother was.

Last edited:

GrafSk8r12

Jul 4, 2011
Making observations strictly off intentional tournament is dangerous. That’s a small sample size.

He’s a way better prospect and player than his brother. How can Eric be so much better than Jared Staal? Genes can produce different things there, bud.

Andrei had the best PPG for a U17 season in the USHL ever last year, and this year his goal scoring is on or with Stamkos and Tavares in their draft season.

Those are facts. He’s one of the best winger prospects in years. He’s bigger, stronger, faster, better than his brother was.

That was a quick edit :naughty:

I’d also refer to Wayne and Brent Gretzky, Eric and Brett Lindros, and Sergei and Fedor Fedorov.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017

Andrei had the best PPG for a U17 season in the USHL ever last year, and this year his goal scoring is on pace with Stamkos and Tavares in their OHL draft season.

Small sample size is all I have.
I wasn't impressed. Nothing stood out. He would skate down the wing, even n out of real estate and that was it. Possession over.
A lot like his older brother.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Small sample size is all I have.
I wasn't impressed. Nothing stood out. He would skate down the wing, even n out of real estate and that was it. Possession over.
A lot like his older brother.

Just watch some of his OHL highlights (lots of clips on Twitter/YouTube). I could show you plays of him beating guys with his feet, beating guys with his physicality, beating guys with his shot. I didn’t think he was great at the WJC, but he was coming back from an inury and he wasn’t given much of a role.

His tools are far superior to his brother. That’s really all I can tell you. In some other draft years he would go #1.

Last edited:

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Just watch some of his OHL highlights (lots of clips on Twitter/YouTube). I could show you plays of him beating guys with his feet, beating guys with his physicality, beating guys with his shot. I didn’t think he was great at the WJC, but he was coming back from an inury and he wasn’t given much of a role.

His tools are far superior to his brother. That’s really all I can tell you. In some other draft years he would go #1.

I'll watch highlight reels when that's all that's available.
But I like keying on a player in a game and watching the shifts where they don't score goals.

Do they show the ability to command the game?

I didn't see it. I'm told the Russian coach didn't give him much opportunity. But when he did play, he wasn't dynamic.
I'd be a little nervous about that pick with a top 3 pick.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
I thought you were the poster 'Filppula' with an updated name, my bad.

Still your take on Zadina is like wanting to see a Corvette pulling a trailer of bricks in the commercials.
All I said is that he seems a lot like Svechnikov (big, skilled goal scoring wingers dominating their respective CHL leagues) but from what little I have seen of them and from scouting reports I have read it seems that Svechnikov is more physical.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
All I said is that he seems a lot like Svechnikov (big, skilled goal scoring wingers dominating their respective CHL leagues) but from what little I have seen of them and from scouting reports I have read it seems that Svechnikov is more physical.
Fair enough. I guess it caught me off guard with all the talk about drafting for skill in the last year. I really doubt we are getting either at this point, so it's extra unlikely we'd ever have to pick between the two. My original thought was if we ever did have a choice between them, Detroit would choose Zadina because we can't seem to have a pick that makes everyone happy.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I agree. I am beginning to slowly like Zadina more than Svech. Zadina has a real shot to go #2 because of his showing at WJC and the prospects game

Dahlin and Svech are a clear but above the rest to me. #1 and #2 are no-brainers for me.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think Zadina goes number 2 overall. Wait and see
I think Zadina is in the conversation with Svechnikov. Ultimately Svech will go before him, but its close.

In the most recent episode of The Pipeline Show, they said Svech tested much better in on-ice drills. He has been a dominant prospect for all of 2 years now. I would be very surprised if he doesn't go #2, but we will see. I never would have guessed PLD would go before Puljujarvi, but he did.

Reactions: JustJokinenAround

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
In the most recent episode of The Pipeline Show, they said Svech tested much better in on-ice drills. He has been a dominant prospect for all of 2 years now. I would be very surprised if he doesn't go #2, but we will see. I never would have guessed PLD would go before Puljujarvi, but he did.

It very well could be as simple as who wins #2.

For the record if I am Buffalo and win #2, I give a massive thought to going with Brady Tkachuk. He fits well with either Eichel or Mittlestadt in my opinion.

I think Svech is the clear #2 but I wouldn't be surprised to see either Zadina or Tkachuk go above him. I think Svechnikov is the best forward in this draft and for me that is a hands down kind of statement, but I am a big believer in Svechnikov.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I will take either. I'm a fan of Zadina, but I would be a huge fan of drafting Svechnikov and especially if they picked up Khovanov to go with him.

JustJokinenAround

just a goofball
Feb 5, 2018
a local rink
It very well could be as simple as who wins #2.

For the record if I am Buffalo and win #2, I give a massive thought to going with Brady Tkachuk. He fits well with either Eichel or Mittlestadt in my opinion.

I think Svech is the clear #2 but I wouldn't be surprised to see either Zadina or Tkachuk go above him. I think Svechnikov is the best forward in this draft and for me that is a hands down kind of statement, but I am a big believer in Svechnikov.
I see the advantage of having Mittelstadt and Tkachuk together, that would be great but they need defencemen bad. If they get 2 I feel they should trade back if possible and take one of Hughes, Boqvist, or Bouchard. It wouldn't be an issue had they took Sergachev over Nylander when they desperately needed defencemen, but we aren't breaking down Bufflo Sabres drafts here.

JustJokinenAround

just a goofball
Feb 5, 2018
a local rink
Zadina could be the guy that shoots up boards. You're right if Dubois was taken ahead of Puljujarvi then certainly Zadina could go ahead of Svech. Either way getting one of Zadina or Svechnikov is a very good thing.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I see the advantage of having Mittelstadt and Tkachuk together, that would be great but they need defencemen bad. If they get 2 I feel they should trade back if possible and take one of Hughes, Boqvist, or Bouchard. It wouldn't be an issue had they took Sergachev over Nylander when they desperately needed defencemen, but we aren't breaking down Bufflo Sabres drafts here.

I trade Reinhart for a D-man if I am Buffalo, so there is that. Eichel and ROR with Mittlestadt also in the picture are your one two punch and three down the middle in a few years. Reinhart can play center and should be attractive on the market. I am not his biggest believer but he is certainly an asset that should kick up some interest.

Heck I would offer them AA if the Wings believe in Reinhart's ability to play center. But still I think that is how they get their D-man.

They need help on the wings and at D. Also I am always kind of a BPA guy the closer and closer I get to the draft and the more I study them. Position can help push close cases but yes all three top flight forwards in this draft are wingers. I like Wahlstrom too, but for me he is a tier below the big three in the draft.

Which even though I want a D-man, if the Wings get up an say hey we had Tkachuk #2 on our board and he was there at 5 and we took him, I won't throw shade on that. The reality is if you believe in one of these guys in a big way especially in a consensus with several of your scouts I don't have problem going there. We like Buffalo need a lot of help in a lot of areas and you can trade guys to help round out that group.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad